Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2006, 06:55 PM   #101
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar
Hey, I actually posted that: “I can certainly tell the difference between 45 and 70mph, when a boat is reasonably close to me!” I’m still standing by that statement. You’re the one who assumed that I was talking about a boat that was on a collision course with me (at a zero heading), which I wasn’t. (I even stated that in my next reply to you.)

I read your entire post, and who was at more at fault was never my point. That video shows two powerboats colliding on open water, when visibility was very good. That was my entire point. That’s what you and I were discussing earlier.
How would that powerboat operator, who didn’t even see a Coast Guard vessel, have seen a much smaller boat????

And what am I supposed to do to prevent being run over by a speeding powerboat??? Believe me, I’m extremely aware of everything on the water, and when I see a powerboat heading in my direction, I make every effort to stay out of his path. But I can only paddle so fast. At my top speed of about 7 feet per second, it takes me over 2 seconds just to travel the length of my kayak, and during those 2 seconds a boat traveling at 70 mph would have covered over 200 feet. Sort of puts me at a slight disadvantage, doesn't it?

If???

That’s the problem!

If a powerboat operator sees me, then I’m in no danger.
If a powerboat operator is paying attention, then I’m in no danger.
If a powerboat operator hasn’t been drinking, then I’m in no danger.

But if just one of these things doesn’t happen 100% of the time, with 100% of the powerboat operators who I’m sharing a lake with - then I am potentially in great danger.

If the operator of a powerboat doesn’t see me because he’s not paying attention (or for any other reason), I have a much better chance of getting out of his way IF he’s traveling at a slower speed. That’s my whole reason for wanting a speed limit.

(BTW: I have no problem grasping any of the “simple concepts” you guys have presented – the problem is that most of you don’t take your concepts far enough for me. You just use them as far as they support your arguments, and conveniently leave out the parts that don’t.)
Evenstar...

Actually you really don't get understand and unfortunately I highly doubt there is any chance that you will... You suffer from inexperience, and you need to get more seat time on Lake Winnipesaukee. Perhaps if you spent more time on the lake you would understand how safe Lake Winnipesaukee truly is. THERE HAVE BEEN NO COLLISIONS BETWEEN A POWERBOAT AND A KAYAK!

The collision in that video was the result of two powerboats on plane, in a crossing situation. The operator of the small boat was the STAND ON boat, and as such he is under NO OBLIGATION to yield to the USCG boat. The USCG boat was the GIVE WAY and as such was supposed to yield to the smaller craft. The issue here is that the USCG boat DID NOT YIELD, DID NOT CHOP HIS THROTTLES AND DID NOT TURN TO STARBOARD as REQUIRED BY the COLREGS!

A more accurate description of accident you would be concerned with is one where a boat operator is not paying attention and runs his boat into a marked hazard such as a rock. Only in your case, you can possibly squirt out of the way if YOU happen notice the other boat in time.

The possibility of a collsion between watercraft always exists, it is no different than the possibility of of an automobile collision. With the statistical exception that you are far more likely to be in an automobile collision that you are in a boat collision. In fact last year there was a collsion between a small SeaRay and a STATIONARY Pontoon Boat. The collision occured at speed much less than the proposed 45 MPH. Speed isn't the problem, its operator inattention and operator inexperience that is the root cause of most accidents. If one were to follow your theory, boats shouldn't be allowed to travel faster than headway speed..

I will stand by my statement that there is absolutely no way for you to tell the difference on the water between 45MPH and 70 MPH. What is reasonably close? 50'? 150'? 500'? 1000'? If you have no visual point of reference you cannot gauge speed. But then again maybe you have some super human vision that allows you to detect that additional 37 FPS while bobbing up and down on the waves?

Woodsy