Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
aquasun

Default 1940 Chris Craft Barrel Back Boat

I have a part time home on the Lake, and here in PA while looking thru an estate sale I found a 1940 Chris Craft Barrel Back boat. All the wood was restored, the chrome is like new and the motor is apart but appears to be complete. Does anyone know what type of value this boat should be around? The owner gave me a price to purchase, but it really isnt something I can use, it is 19' long

I figured someone out there may want this, or be able to give me more info about it. There isnt much out there for comparison purpose.

My email is aquasun@comcast.net if you want to talk further about it

thanks

Jeff
aquasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
NoBozo

Default Chris Craft Barrelback

Chris Craft Barrelback runaboats are VERY collectable and sought after. They are also very labor intensive to own and maintain. You rarely see them except at Antique Boat shows or museums. The value is very difficult to determine...and as with anything else..condition is the Most important factor. It's all about how much you want the boat and are willing to pay. NB

Check out these sites for starters.

Antique Boat Museum, Wolfeboro, NH http://www.nhbm.org/

Antique Boat Museum, Clayton, NY. http://www.abm.org/
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Other Sites to Check Out

Vintage Race Boat Shop

NE Chapter Classic Antique Boat Society

The Antique & Classic Boat Society

Good luck! If you do take the plunge, we'd love to see pictures!

RG
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well it is only 19 feet long, the engine is all apart, so really not worth much. I'll give a hundred bucks for the wood......

Seriously though...Here is one for sale to give you an idea. I think it comes with the trailer as well though.

http://www.classicboat.com/antique-b...l-back-28h.htm
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
songkrai

Just a personal note.

It may not be a good idea to publish your email address. There are nefarious people out there that actually scan forums for email addresses just for scams and spam. So if you get an email address from someone in the UK (but really Nigeria or Romania) asking to purchase this boat be somewhat cautious.

Having owned antique wooden boats - yes there is always someone interested. But the condition you state may not bring you the wealth of a fully restored boat.

If you don't have the ability to restore it or the money to do so - then take a pass.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
aquasun

Default thanks

to all of you who posted some info. I wouldnt be buying the boat for myself, it would be to simply resell. I actually had no idea of the value that I am seeing. The price is right at the estate, as they just want it picked up. I am going to get it tomorrow, as 79k for a totally usuable version from the one link posted is WOW. This boat has perfect wood, perfect chrome and seems to need some motor work and other details, but if the going value is 25% of that I would be thrilled. The owners had more in receipts for the work done at a pro shop than they even want for it, so I prob cant go wrong

thanks again, it is such a neat boat.
aquasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Just Sold

After you get it home post some photos for everyone here on the forum to see. I know you have some members wondering what it looks like and piqued their interest just to see it.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquasun View Post
to all of you who posted some info. I wouldnt be buying the boat for myself, it would be to simply resell. I actually had no idea of the value that I am seeing. The price is right at the estate, as they just want it picked up. I am going to get it tomorrow, as 79k for a totally usuable version from the one link posted is WOW. This boat has perfect wood, perfect chrome and seems to need some motor work and other details, but if the going value is 25% of that I would be thrilled. The owners had more in receipts for the work done at a pro shop than they even want for it, so I prob cant go wrong

thanks again, it is such a neat boat.
I just had to look it up, and it is an interesting boat.

Ask any collector who has restored used wooden boats. You'll find a "collection of receipts" will always be higher than the value that is in the boat.

You may not go wrong at a heavily-discounted price, but it may take some time to find a buyer for an article that isn't yet perfect and still make a little money in the transaction.

Then again, you could start a bidding war with Lakesrider.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
NoBozo

Check this out: Arguably..Mark Mason (New England Boat And Motor) is the Guru of Antique Boat stuff going on today. NB

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/visitor/mason/mason.html
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
BlackCatIslander (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
winnisummergal

Default Could be a gem

Mark Mason is a family friend and great guy. I would reach out to him and I believe he would give you an honest answer regarding your time and $$ investment to turn this boat around. His work is amazing!!! In addition, my dad collects wooden boats so I will encourage him to check out this thread. Good luck!
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Check this out: Arguably..Mark Mason (New England Boat And Motor) is the Guru of Antique Boat stuff going on today. NB

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/visitor/mason/mason.html
Mark and or Phil Spencer.
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote