Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
Lucky2Bhere

Default Hiking the Ossipee's

We frequently hike the trails at Castle in the Clouds. The views from Bald Knob are beautifull and the walk is easy to moderate. Yesterday we came upon the new "Brook Walk" trail which goes by 6 or 7 falls in a flume-like cascade, culminating in the "Falls of Song" which is also accessible from the castle driveway. This trail when it is opened will be a great addition to the existing trail system. The LRCT has done a great job developing and maintaining the trails.
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Wink Falls of Song

Our photopost friend, dcr, has been very involved in making those trails more accessible and has posted many excellent photos on photopost.

click here for link---> dcr's photos of Falls of Song

Click here to enlarge the 1908 postcard

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:52 AM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default What about winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky2Bhere
The LRCT has done a great job developing and maintaining the trails.
What are the trails like in the winter? Are they maintained (cleared and packed) for XC skiing? Since LRCT restricted the Moultonboro snowmobile club from maintaining anything but corridor 15, are the trails to Mt. Faraway still passable? At the Sandwich fare last weekend, a person staffing the M'boro snomo club booth said that insurance reasons are still keeping all but the primary trail closed. It sure would be nice to see winter access to the Ossipees restored and maintained.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Lucky2Bhere

Default Winter use?

I talked to a LRCT volunteer doing trail work about the snowmobile issues. I had heard about last winters frustrations and was curious because in addition to snowshoeing and xcountry skiing I would like to try a snowmobile and explore more terrain. The volunteer gave me the impression that they want both types of users to utilize the property but not encroach on each others enjoyment. I did not get the feeling that there was a hidden agenda. As far as trail grooming, etc, I have no idea.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
secondcurve

LakeGeezer & Lucky:

The closed trails in question are not condusive to either cross country skiing or snow shoeing. They are vertical and only the most fit olympic athletes could get up and down them on snow shoes or cross country skis. And now that I think of it, probably not even olympic athletes could use snow shoes or cross country skis on those trails, unless of course they were suicidal. Maybe the trails could be used by winter hikers. In any event, the people at the trust are simply sneaky jerks that think they know what is best for everyone. Keeping one trail open to non-motorized activity would be plenty. I bet there would only be a handful of users each day, if that.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #6
T.H.E. Binz

Default Closed Trails???

The closed trails in question are anything but vertical! They ALL could be easily used by hikers and snowshoers - over half could be easily used by snowmobilers and cross country skiers. I wish someone would explain to me whether the problem with access at the Castle-in-the-Clouds area is liability, maintenance costs, incompatible users or some combination of these. I doubt it has anything to do with "LRCT arrogance."
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:46 AM   #7
secondcurve

Binz:

The majority of the trails from the main road are quite steep. These are the trails that lead to the summit with the beautiful view that is now closed. Most summits have STEEP trails that lead to the top. That is the way it works in this instance, too. All but one of the trails have been closed.

I am sorry that you disagree with my statement about the LRCT being arrogant. However, the fact you, an apparent loyal supporter, has no idea why the trails are closed underscores my point. These folks feel they are not accountable to anyone. I learned a long time ago that the best way to perserve land is to ensure that it is used by multiple groups. This land shoud be open to hunters, snowmobilers etc., at certain points in the year. However, the LRCT wants to wall it off so only approved activities are allowed and worst of all, they refuse to defend their position publicly.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
Lucky2Bhere

Most of the trails that are accessed for non-motorized use start at the LRCT parking lot by the Roxanne bottling plant. These trails with the exception of the Mt. Shaw trail are not too steep for hiking and snowshoe use. As I understand it Mt. Shaw can still be accessed by snowmobiles. The volunteer I encountered on the trails implied that foot traffic feels endangered by snowmobiles and it disturbs the peace and quiet they seek in nature. This is clearly the primary mission of the LRCT. All of their conservation properties discourage motorized vehicles on land and water. They own the property and must have a mandate from their supporters concerning its use. That said, there is plenty of space for both types of users. The Trust should be open and honest and negotiate in good faith or else clearly state their stand.