Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-21-2005, 12:33 PM   #1
winnilaker

Default Is tourism being impacted by not having a speed limit?

I found this on the web, the Travel Economic Reports for New Hampshire:

http://oz.plymouth.edu/inhs/EconomicReports/

Opponents and Supporters, let's analyze this report for information related to not having speed limits as impacting tourism.

I have attached an interesting graph from page 7 from the Tourism_Satellite_Account_FY2004.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
KonaChick

No it doesn't look like tourism is being affected by NOT having a speed limit law. What will be more interesting as far as this issue goes is to see what the numbers are if a speed limit law is passed. We also have to remember that tourism encumbers lots of areas...not just people coming up to put their boats on the lake.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
Bear Lover

winnilaker

So which is it?

The opposition has repeatedly told us that if HB162 passes nothing will change because the high performance boats will not leave Winni. We are also told that if HB162 passes the economy of the Lakes Region will be ruined.

Which is it? You can't have it both ways!
Old 12-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
chase1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick
No it doesn't look like tourism is being affected by NOT having a speed limit law. What will be more interesting as far as this issue goes is to see what the numbers are if a speed limit law is passed. We also have to remember that tourism encumbers lots of areas...not just people coming up to put their boats on the lake.

KonaChick

It seems very clear that tourism on the lake (boats) has not seen any negative affects and is strong based on claims from both sides regarding increased lake congestion. Boating reports show that total registered boats nationwide continues to fall and there are less registered boats today than in 2001. The only way For Winni to experience increased boating congestion is if more boats are coming to the area.

Chase1

Last edited by chase1; 12-22-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
winnilaker

Bear Lover and other supporters,
I just want to hear some information on the matter of tourism. This was the only document I could find. Does anybody have a guess on if the speed limit passes, how many boats would leave vs. come new? How many boaters are we losing due to not having a speed limit? This (me) opposition feels that some vacationer performance boats will go away and some NH citizen performance boaters will stay. If I had a performance boat, I don't think I would go to Lake George because they have speed limit, that's just me. I think the NH citizens with performance boats are a little more in a bind, so they will choose to stay and deal with it. So I guess I'm answering it as both ways, in relation to how you asked it.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
Island Lover

Winnilaker

Here is a list of HB162 supporters. Many of them are conservation groups, but there are also many Hotels, Restaurants, Shops, Marinas and Real Estate companies. This would indicate they think HB162 will be GOOD for the local economy.

The Lakes Area economy is driven by family tourism. High speed, noise and the perception of danger drives families away.

Check out the tourism brochures at the rest areas, look at the pictures. You will see loons, canoes, swimmers, sailboats and family cruisers. You will not see GFBLs.

The Common Man
Ashalnd Insurance
Strictly Rentals
Wild Meadow Canoes and Kayaks
Centre Harbor Cellars
Center Harbor Inn
AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club)
NH Audubon
New Hampshire Lakes Association (NHLA)
Decker Machinery Company
The Architectural Studio
Fay’s Boat Yard
Birch Island Camp Association
Gilford Islands Association (GIA)
Jolly Island Association
Lockes Island Association
Belknap Landscaping Company
Design Quest
DK Net Design
E&S Insurance LLC
The Hair Factory
Mike’s Ala Carte Catering
Pepi Herrmann Crystal, Inc.
Glendale Marine
River Edge Marina
Squam Lakes Association (SLA)
Cottage Place on Squam Lake
Squam Lake Inn
Me Designs
Barrons Billiards
Blooms Vanity
J&J Printing
LaBelles Shoe Store
Central & Northern Title
Haughey, Philpot & Laurent
Lakeside Hotel Assoc.
Sundial Shops
Paugus Bay Marina
Best Western Silver Fox Inn
Griffin Bodi Krause
Municipal Resources, Inc.
Great Northern Trading Co
Meredith Marina
Y-Landing
Bear Island Conservation Association (BICA)
East Bear Island Conservation Association
AMC- 3 Mile Island
Winnipesaukee Rowing Club
Alexandria Lamp Shop
Case N’ Keg
Chris Dupont Painting
Christopher P. Williams, Architects
Eisenberg Chiropractic
Hawkins Photography
Hobo Railroad
Landscapes By Tom
League of NH Craftsmen
Mastiff Builders
Omni Signs
Patricia’s “Specially for You”
Pemi Glass Company
Pretty Petunias Garden Center
Remax Bay Side Real Estate
Remcon/North
Sagecliff Software, Inc.
The Village Perk
Winnipesaukee Scenic Railroad
GASCO Realty, LLC
51 Main Street, LLc
Inns & Spa at Mill Falls
Meredith Bay Painting
The Lake House Grille
Lago
Camp
Town Docks Restaurant
Mame's
The Gallery at Mill Falls
Oglethorp
Guiseppies Resturant
Northern Air Trading
Lady of the Lake Clothing
Adorments
Creative Clothing
Christopher P. Williams, Architect
Oak Street Associates
Old Mill Insurance
Innisfree Bookstore
Phoenix Leasing, Inc.
Silver Top Ventures
Minuteman Plumbing & Heating
Sava Designs
Horn Insurance
Harts Restaurant
Fermentation Station LLC
Hunter's
Waukewan Antiques
Village Greenery
Etcetera Shop
Associated Surveyors
Moulton Farm
Barber Pole Association
Trexler’s Marina
Land’s End
Wyman Trail Association
Loon Preservation Committee
1st T Development Corporation
The Woodshed Restaurant
Castle in the Clouds
Amoskeg Insurance
EPTAM Plastics
The Common Man Inn
Corner House Inn
Seacoast Kayak
Tilton Veterinary Hospital
Waterville Valley Condo Rental
Thurston’s Marina
Lighthouse Inn
Weirs Beach Motel and Cottages
Van's Hotel Enterprises
Wolfboro Inn
Island Real Estate of New Hampshire
LB Boat Restoration
Millie B
Wolfeboro Trolley Company
Wolfetrap Restaurant
Old 12-21-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
Fat Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnilaker
I have attached an interesting graph from page 7 from the Tourism_Satellite_Account_FY2004.
Imagine how high these numbers would be if families started coming back to the lake? ...the real spenders. Isn't that why places like Las Vegas and Daytona have been trying so hard to abandon the "fast crowd" image and attract family vacationers? Of course, the Naswa and Channel Marine will suffer, but if they go under, it will not take long to get new businesses in those spots that cater to the much larger family crowd.
At last summer's Wolfeboro hearing, a fellow who had been previously served as the state's tourism marketing director (as I recall) spoke at length about the value of the "family image" to the lakes region ecomony. Notice that all of the phamphlets and literature show tranquil lake scenes with canoes,loons and swimmers,..not racing cigarette boats and drinking parties. This guy had all those facts and numbers you are seeking. I'm sure that Rep Gibson can get you a transcript of that hearing and help you get in touch with that fellow.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
KonaChick

Winnilaker i'm chuckling at "supporter" because I've never stated here wether I'm for or against a speed limit. Chase1 sorry but I have no clue what you're talking about...I'm a mother of three though and I've found me IQ has gone down significantly with each child I've had...or at least that's what my kids tell me.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
winnilaker

Kona Chick,
Hence I didn't use your name explicity.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
Bear Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase1
... Boating reports show that total registered boats nationwide continues to fall and there are less registered boats today than in 1979....
What boating reports are you quoting? Can you back this up?

I would be surprised if there are less boats on the lake now than in 1979.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:11 PM   #11
HotDog

Quote:
Paugus Bay Marina
OK THEY ARE NOT FOR THE SPEED LIMIT they see "go fast boats" their is no way they are for the speed limit...if the speed limit passes all those business will relize what kind of bussiness they are missing when their profits go down from less people there!

me and my family use the lake ever weekend (spending around 65 nights on it also) we love going up there in the summer. our boat can't go over 45 so the speed limit wont affect us, but LIVE FREE OR DIE right!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:20 PM   #12
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Lover

I really hate to side with Bear Lover ...But she does have a point

Todays weekdays seem like 1979s weekends
Old 12-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #13
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase1
"...Boating reports show that total registered boats nationwide continues to fall and there are less registered boats today than in 1979. The only way For Winni to experience increased boating congestion is if more boats are coming to the area..."
Each state sets their own criteria for mandatory registration. New Hampshire does not require the registration of small sailcraft and manually-powered boats. (Canoes, inflatables, paddleboats, sculls, kayaks, rowboats). It should be pointed out that these boats are operated at less than 10MPH.

If there is a national trend downward in registrations, it is likely traceable to the national buying-up of shorefront neighborhoods for housing and condominiums. Marinas are closing. Gated communities near the water are restricting the size of stored boats, and directing where on the lot to put them. (Like behind a fence).

With the fitness craze upon us, many more boats are appearing today that do not require registration. Lakes Region stores selling kayaks exclusively were unheard of. However, how many of those purchased recently are hanging in garages and attics...unused?

That said, it certainly seemed as though many boaters kept their registration-required AND no-registration-required boats at home. Witness the "Where IS Everybody" thread -- here -- this past summer.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:20 AM   #14
Paugus Bay Resident

Let's not forget dry racking. I'd guess that on Paugus Bay alone (including South Down), there are probably over 1,000 dry racks. Then add in the other marina's and facilities around the lake. Whatever we've lost in shoreline, we've more than made up for in racking.

Another trend effecting tourism is the loss of rental units. Motels being converted to condos, small rental cabins being torn down, etc.

Personaly, I don't think a speed limit or lack thereof will have much impact on tourism.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:49 AM   #15
Skip

Default Boat registrations are actually on the rise...

The latest data I have been able to find (utilizing a variety of studies) show that in 2003 all registered boats in the US (including the States, commonwealths & territories) totalled just under 13 million...an increase of over 55% in the twenty year period studied. Additionally, as mentioned by ApS, there are an estimated 8 million additional watercraft (rowboats, kayaks, canoes, small sailboats, etc.)in the US alone that do not need to be registered in the State they are used.

The same studies all consistently show that as the number of recreational watercraft continue to swell, overall safety on the water also continues to improve.

Anyway, I can think of no waterway that I have boated on in the last 40 years that has seen a decrease in boating population.

Merry Christmas,

Skip
Old 12-22-2005, 11:45 AM   #16
chase1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Lover

Bear,

Sorry but 1979 was a type-0. I posted an apology but it never got by the man. Total number of registered boats is down from 01 and flat with 00 according to the 2004 report. I did not say less on the lake just less registered boats overall. Their could be far more on the lake and or far more being used more often, which would seem to contradict statements of fleeing tourists or boats not being used due to fear.
http://www.uscgboating.org/statistic...dent_stats.htm
USCG Boating Report 2004
REGISTERED BOATS page 24-26

I agree there are more unregistered boats in use today. Kayaks in particular are very popular and this segment has seen strong growth. It is also clear that many lives are lost in these smaller unregistered vessels and all rescue efforts are funded by the boaters paying registration fees. With the increase in these smaller boats and the related accidents perhaps they should start contributing to enforcement efforts. This would help give MP the funds needed to enforce the existing laws more effectively.

Chase1

Last edited by chase1; 01-04-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:02 PM   #17
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip

Anyway, I can think of no waterway that I have boated on in the last 40 years that has seen a decrease in boating population.

Merry Christmas,

Skip
I bet some of this increase is due to the clean water laws. Growing up in Nashua during the 60's and 70's, no one boated in the Merrimack or Nashua Rivers. We even nicknamed one the Nausea river. Now, I canoe and fish these rivers all the time and I'm not alone. On weekends there are dozens of bass boats, canoes and kayaks. I'm sure that there are plenty of other examples.