Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
songkrai

Default Boating Gas Tax Refund - Time to do away with

Time to do away with the boating gasoline tax refund system.
Just have the legislature change the law and send the funds from the boating gas tax to Marine Patrol or conservation.
This is an archaic system.
Many don't even know about the refund. Many don't bother.
Yes, there is a hard core of folks that seek the refund.
Just do away with the refund process. Cut the jobs in Concord that have to process the refunds. Send the money to boating enforcement or conservation.
Simple.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (06-24-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
Kamper

You'd still have to fill out some paper-work to get the funds transferred. I'd expect most people would have the opinion "If I'm going to go through the effort of tracking, documenting and reporting this, I'd rather get the money myself."
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #3
ITD

How about an even simpler solution, stop charging the gas tax at marinas.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Accipiter290 (06-23-2015), boat_guy64 (06-23-2015), BroadHopper (06-23-2015), Broken Glass (06-23-2015), campdavid (06-23-2015), CTYankee (06-23-2015), LIforrelaxin (06-23-2015), secondcurve (06-24-2015), Smith Point (06-29-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
witchboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I agree they do sell off road deisel wahy not gasoline
witchboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Then you'd get people like me filling up a 44 gallon tank in the truck and a 100 gallon Titan tank in the bed. And trust me. I'd find a way to get my truck out there.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
You'd still have to fill out some paper-work to get the funds transferred. I'd expect most people would have the opinion "If I'm going to go through the effort of tracking, documenting and reporting this, I'd rather get the money myself."
There are very simple ways to figure out how much gasoline is delivered to the marinas. A simple report from the delivery companies. Or the marinas can send a form to the state. Real easy and simple.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Rich

Simplest way is to stop charging a ROAD tax on gasoline sold at a marina DOCK!

If the marina has another pump that can be accessed by vehicles then let that pump have road tax on it. But if the pump is located at a dock, then don't charge the road tax.

With no road tax collected at the dock, we don't need reports, people to manage it and check on it. and no money going to the government to possible abuse in some way.

If a somehow a small amount of gas gets into a road vehicle somehow, let it be, nothing is perfect! But stop charging the road tax to boats and off road vehicles.

Let's make government smaller, not larger!
Old 06-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

I think what they are hoping is that most people won't be bothered to apply for the refund so the gov. has extra taxes. I know I don't bother. I did years ago, but stopped and never did again. And we burn a lot of gas especially with the big boat. I would like to know what the percentage is, but my bet is most people don't apply for the refund.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #9
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I think what they are hoping is that most people won't be bothered to apply for the refund so the gov. has extra taxes. I know I don't bother. I did years ago, but stopped and never did again. And we burn a lot of gas especially with the big boat. I would like to know what the percentage is, but my bet is most people don't apply for the refund.
Sounds like any other .gov operation to me. Put in as many hoops as possible until opportunity costs exceeds total amount given back.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to That Guy For This Useful Post:
Grandpa Redneck (06-26-2015), tis (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
Sue Doe-Nym

Speaking of refunds, I'm still waiting for my refund that I sent in back in March. Seems like a good way to discourage people from sending in the paper work. There are better ways but the state would not receive as much revenue.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #11
Monarch Vu

Default still waiting too

Gas tax paperwork went in around Feb. , still waiting.
Monarch Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Off Road tax

The tax refund is really not aimed at boaters. They are only a part of the off road sales. More goes to construction vehicles, farm equipment etc. If you snowmobile or have an ATV, you might also track that and get a refund, but you rarely buy from a dock.
There is a formula in statute estimating the amount of fuel sold and the amount where no refund is requested. The result of that calculation goes to Fish and Game. The rest goes to the general fund, which among other things, supports the Department of Safety and the Department of Environmental Services. These two departments are pretty interested in safe, clean lakes.

A few years ago, there was a requirement to file for these refunds quarterly. That meant, for example filing June 30 for that one spring fill up that month, and three more times throughout the year. HB1418-FN changed that to the April 15 deadline. That was the same bill that made it possible to donate your refund to the Navigation Safety Fund or to Lakes Preservation.

The quarterly filing for trucks, etc. meant getting your big refunds sooner and I think that remains in place.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:21 PM   #13
Greene's Basin Girl

I buy my gas for my PWC at gas stations. I keep those slips and also send those in with my other receipts from marina's.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Government at Work

What surprised me (and maybe it shouldn't have) was when I sent my refund paperwork in before the end of the year. I got it all back with a letter telling me that I couldn't submit it before January 1st. Do you think it might have been more efficient for the state to just hold the papers and process them after January 1st?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #15
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
What surprised me (and maybe it shouldn't have) was when I sent my refund paperwork in before the end of the year. I got it all back with a letter telling me that I couldn't submit it before January 1st. Do you think it might have been more efficient for the state to just hold the papers and process them after January 1st?
Efficient Government?
Falls into the same category as Military Intelligence, or Jumbo Shrimp. An oxymoron.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #16
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
... A simple report from the delivery companies. Or the marinas can send a form to the state. ...
Good point as is the thread about not charging tax at Marinas. Off-Road gas can be dyed differently which will show on an inspection (just like o/r diesel and farm fuels). Keep in mind though, that most fuel used in boats (IMO) is bought at gas stations.

Switching to a mileage based tax for highway fuel would solve these problems but raise other issues.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote