Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
donnamatrix

Default New Rule for 2012 Derby

This infomration is available on the meredithrotary.org website, but just so you all are aware, there will be a new rule regarding submission of fish to the Derby:

The Great Meredith Rotary Ice Fishing Derby, scheduled for the weekend of February 11-12, 2012 will include a new rule as outlined by changes to New Hampshire Fish & Game Department regulations.

“To prevent culling and/or transferring of live fish, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department has implemented a new regulation requiring all Salmonids to be killed upon taking by the angler,” according to Derby Chairman Tracy Aquilla. Salmonids include salmon (which cannot be taken through the ice), and all trout species. The new state regulation therefore requires some, but not all, Derby permitted species to be killed upon taking.

“This inconsistency may cause some confusion during the Derby, “ Aquilla stated, “so the Derby Committee has made the Derby ruling more uniform by requiring that any and all fish in the angler’s possession must be dead before the angler enters the registration line, or the fish will be disqualified.” As always, officers from the New Hampshire Fish & Game Department will be monitoring the Derby activities, and any angler found to have a live fish will receive a citation.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Steveo

Default I'm confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post

“To prevent culling and/or transferring of live fish, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department has implemented a new regulation requiring all Salmonids to be killed upon taking by the angler
I am confused. How does this stop culling or transferring of live fish between lakes if you simply keep the fish alive until the minutes before you get to the registration area. You could have culled all you want before then. I could see a rule that any fish in the anglers possession at any time must be dead but not just at the registration area. That way fish and game might be able to catch some anglers that aren't smart enough to hide their fish from plan sight.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Rules & Prizes

How does that prevent a dishonest angler from bringing a previously caught fish? The Meredith Rotary gets so many wonderful prizes that I would think this might be a problem.

Wouldn't it make more sense for anglers to bring them in alive and kill them at the registration area within view of a judge? Thankfully there is still time to amend rules.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
bclaker

Default Bass Tournament Rules

According to the 2011 Fresh Water Fishing Digest, there is an exception for permitees in Bass Tournaments for live bass. Wonder why not for the Ice Fishing Derby.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
What would stop a dishonest angler from catching a fish that they thought was good enough to weigh in, killing it, and then tossing it overboard when they caught a larger fish?
Overboard of what?
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
GTO (09-23-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Overboard of what?
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
MikeF-NH

fact is, there is not much they can do to stop a dishonest angler that hasn't already been done. This is little more than a token gesture to say "just don't break the law so we have to watch you do it or we will fine you". When they catch you in line with a live fish....they warned you.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Overboard of what?
You had me scratching my head there for a bit. I didn't know what the heck you were talking about. I asked my wife to read it and she said "It's an ice fishing derby you knucklehead".
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
SteveA (10-07-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
donnamatrix

Default Wording of Derby Rule

Sorry this has caused some confusion, NHF&G knew that it would cause some confusion, but we have done our best to make it as understandable as possible. Here is direct quote from John Viar of NHF&G:

Somehow the wording must state all fish at the derby headquarters weigh-in area, and/or entry "line" (although not always a line formed), must be already dead - not taking them out of the bucket while in line and then killing, or killed on the measuring board, or what have you. Otherwise it will be impossible to interpret what is being entered vs. what else is in the cooler, bucket, etc. Further adding to the confusion in this situation, by state regulation several species must be dead immediately after catching (if harvesting/deciding to keep), while others do not have to be immediately killed if harvested.

To avoid what is already confusing (beyond our control), our best recommendation would be a derby rule stating something to effect of above - all fish must be dead before entry/entry into derby HQ "area", for lack of a better term.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #10
SIKSUKR

Default I need help

I don't get it. What is the purpose of making sure the fish are dead? Is this so fish can't be moved to other bodies of water? To this non fishing guy it sounds strange to hear the F&G say that all fish must be dead.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Red face Me Either!

I am just not getting it either. I sent a PM and an e-mail (just in case.) to John A. Viar at NHFG asking if he could post and help clarify the new rule for us. I'm so confused!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Jonas Pilot

I'm glad of the change for whatever the reason F&G chose. In foreign countries seeing dying fish is normal and excepted. In the US not so much. I also think that with the new rule it's one and done. There's no chance of using the fish "twice".
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
jmen24

They just need help with wording their information.

If you catch a Lake Trout or Rainbow Trout during the derby: Measure it to see if it is a legal catch. If it is and you think it would place well on the board (or you want to keep it to eat), kill it and put it in your cooler. If not, put it back down the hole. If you are caught with a Salmonid Species of fish (the Trouts, salmon, etc) that is not dead but in holding (in a cooler or someplace to keep it alive till the end of the day) and fish and game stops by for a check, you are in trouble.

All other species of fish: Before you leave your fishing spot to bring a fish that you think will place on the board. Take said fish and kill it, any other keepers that you intend to keep and eat (therefore you will not try to place them on the board) need to stay behind in the truck or at the fishing hole. They do not want you flopping through a cooler while in line to pull out the right fish.

You cannot keep it alive until the very last moment to save that 10th of a pound.

Example: You caught 3 White Perch, 1 is a lunker and you think you have a shot at the board. It is 2:00pm and you have an hour drive to Meredith, but you are sleeping in the bobhouse tonight. Take the one fish you intend to put on the board, kill it, leave the other two at the bobhouse. The dead fish gets packed in ice water to keep its weight up and you drive to Meredith. You step on the podium and open your cooler, it only contains one fish and it is dead. They shake your hand and pin it to the board (if it qualifies).

Situation is exactly the same for Trout. The only difference is you have to be within your limits. It is black and white, it is either dead and in your posession or it is back down the hole alive.

And if you have 5 fish that you think could place on the board, your cooler contains 5 dead fish.

If that is not clear or I have missed it completely, feel free to let me know.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

Default Clear as mud

Simply put, what is the point of making sure they are dead.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #15
topwater

Common sense tells me they are doing this so a lake trout caught in the 1st Conn Lake does not get transported alive to Lake Winnipesaukee, then weighed in at the derby and then released into a different body of water. Transplanting of fish from lake to lake has always been illegal, maybe this is the way Fish&game is making sure of it.

They also might know something we DON'T know.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #16
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
Common sense tells me they are doing this so a lake trout caught in the 1st Conn Lake does not get transported alive to Lake Winnipesaukee, then weighed in at the derby and then released into a different body of water. Transplanting of fish from lake to lake has always been illegal, maybe this is the way Fish&game is making sure of it.

They also might know something we DON'T know.
How does this stop either of those two things. You still can catch a fish at 1st Conn and kill it before you weigh it at derby. You still can catch fish at 1st Conn and put it in a new lake. You just can't do both with the same fish.

I agree with SIKSUKR "Clear as Mud"
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
jmen24

The Salmonid Rules have been in place for many years and are not new:

-No person shall have live lake trout, landlocked salmon, brook trout, black bass, northern pike, or black crappie in their possession, except if the person is a bass tournament permittee or is an aquaculturist permittee or has a permit to import, possess, or release these fish.

-Release of fish in waters other than where caught is prohibited. Fish must be returned to the water where taken.

-Culling of fish, except during permitted bass tournaments, is prohibited.

Source: http://www.eregulations.com/newhamps...awful-actions/

During past Rotary Tournaments, most anglers were breaking the law when they transported these species to the board alive.

The derby added the other species to the "must be dead before" list for a uniform system at the podium. Apparently, most folks didn't realize they were breaking the law, hence the up in arms about the MRD changing its policy. F&G is obviosly tired of turning a blind eye to this activity, during this tournament.

It is a rule that you agreed to follow when you signed your fishing or hunting license.

Fish and Game holds public hearings about these types of rule implementations all year long, feel free to stop by or write in to express a concern or point you feel is valid.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #18
JDeere

Default Peta

I thought the PETA people were upset at the fish flopping on the board? Is the F&G's way to appease them?

Personally I belong to the other PETA group. People Eating Tasty Animals.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
martbri7

I've always enjoyed the "Live" fish board...as a kid it taught me the different species of fish we have in Lake Winnipesaukee and other Lakes in NH...looking at some of those Lake Trout caught way up North was a treat as well as a lesson and a dream of catching them. Pictures are nice but seeing the length and size made the derby weekend.
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #20
jmen24

The fish will still be hanging from the board and they will be as dead as they always have. Just dead before they get hung up, instead of while hung up.

The F&G rule has not changed in years. The derby rule changed.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
Mink Islander

Default To kill a fish

I caught a decent sized cusk last year on Sunday morning of the Derby. When I pulled it from the ice, I left it on the ground while I walked back to the cabin, grabbed a plastic bag and my snomo helmet and returned to my catch. About 10 mins passed. I then loaded up said cusk in the bag and hopped on my sled for the 20 min ride to Meredith. My fish was weighed and boarded -- but its tail was swinging for at least another 20 mins. Cusk are tough SOBs. And until it was frozen solid, it kept moving.

So my question is this: how best to kill a cusk? Louisville Slugger??? LOL.

I guess next time I'll just hold onto it longer....
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote