Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Whimsey

Default Whole House Humidifier

I'm thinking of installing a whole house humidifier into my hydronic heating system. I'm thinking that a steam unit that runs when needed rather than just when the heat is called would be a better bet than a more typical unit. Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas on this. I assume a general plumber could install, but would appreciate recommendations. Thanks.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
NoBozo

Hydronic heating is a sealed hot water convection system. A humidifier would be in a forced hot air system. I don't see how the two can mesh.

Unless you have a clinical/medical problem that requires moist air, I can't see why you want to add moisture. Just wondering. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Formula

Default Can't be done

You can not add a humidifier to a hot water heating system. The only system is one that has an air system, such a forced hot air. You can however have a free standing unit that is plumbed into a wtar supply so that you do not need to manualy fill the tank
Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
kjbathe

Adding moisture to the home during winter months has several benefits... Greater comfort (feeling of warmth) at lower temperatures, consistent humidity for woodwork (trim, wood floors, less cracking or gaps) and potential improved health / reduced illness (no dried out nasal passages, bloody noses, etc...)

Too much humidity is a bad thing -- typically indicated by condensation on your windows during cold temperatures. Ideally, your indoor humidity level should fluctuate relative to the outdoor temperature and ability of the air to sustain the moisture level. I swear by our whole home humidifier on a forced air system. For a hydronic (forced hot water system), I would recommend an evaporation type system that can do a whole house for about $100. You have to fill the jugs manually, but it's short money vs. a contractor to see if you even like the results.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kjbathe For This Useful Post:
Whimsey (10-14-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
DickR

As noted, too much humidity can hurt. Dry air inside a house in winter means that the house is leaking a lot of air through myriad holes and cracks. Air leaking in one place displaces inside air going out through other such holes and cracks. That exiting air has more humidity than the incoming air, due to human activity inside the house. If you add too much humidity to the inside air, you run the risk of getting condensation within the wall cavities, possibly causing rot and mold to develop.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
Whimsey (10-14-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
As noted, too much humidity can hurt. Dry air inside a house in winter means that the house is leaking a lot of air through myriad holes and cracks. Air leaking in one place displaces inside air going out through other such holes and cracks. That exiting air has more humidity than the incoming air, due to human activity inside the house. If you add too much humidity to the inside air, you run the risk of getting condensation within the wall cavities, possibly causing rot and mold to develop.
This is exactly what a knowledgable home inspector told me once. Be careful.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Whimsey (10-14-2010)
Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
Whimsey

Default Not Hydronic System

Sorry for the confusion. I guess hydronic was the wrong word. I have a propane boiler that via a heat exchanger becomes forced hot air.

The reason I want to do it is principally because my Bosendorfer piano, which was a major investment, needs to be kept at relatively constant humidity of say 40%. Also most of my home interior is wood that benefits from less fluctuations of humidity. I've used a floor machine for the past few years but the area is too big for them to work effective although I have the largest on the market. Filling it is a pain, too, but that 's not the reason for changing. I understand that over-humidifying will cause mold and condensation in the attic.

My research has been that a steam whole house humidifier is better from a lot of perspectives than an evaporative type humidifier, and can run as needed whether or not the heat is running through the exchanger, keeping a relatively constant humidity. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them or had used a particular brand/installer.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

We had a whole house humidifier added to our forced hot air system last year- best thing we ever did comfort-wise to our house.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Whimsey (10-14-2010)