Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Cub Run

Angry Low Flying Cargo Plane ?

This past Sunday around 4:30 pm what appeared to be a cargo plane (prop type) flew extremely low over the the lake between Moultonborough and Tuftonboro just North of twenty mile bay. The plane came from West to East and then made a sharp banked curve and returned heading West . It flew so low over our camp that people starting moving off of our deck . Anyway it scared the heck out of my family and I just dont see why some clown needs to fly like that.
Cub Run is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cub Run For This Useful Post:
acanthus (09-12-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Run View Post
This past Sunday around 4:30 pm what appeared to be a cargo plane (prop type) flew extremely low over the the lake between Moultonborough and Tuftonboro just North of twenty mile bay. The plane came from West to East and then made a sharp banked curve and returned heading West . It flew so low over our camp that people starting moving off of our deck . Anyway it scared the heck out of my family and I just dont see why some clown needs to fly like that.
The only multi engine (4) prop plane in general service (civilian or military) is the Military C-130. It has a distinctly large tail. They like to practice "Steep Turns" and other maneuvers that civilian planes would not do.

They were required to do Very Steep spiral descents into Bagdad in the early days to avoid "Flat" flight paths that would encourage hand held missile fire from the ground........NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
rick35

I saw a B1 bomber swooping over the lake years ago. I figured one of the crew had family somewhere on the lake and was saying hello. Could have been what happended here.

l also saw a C-130 refueling two helicopters up and down the Broads. Very cool.

And then there was the day I heard buzzing overhead and when I looked up all I could see was white. The Hood blimp was in the area for the race and was flying really low overhead.

Every now and then we're lucky to see something cool around the lake. I wish I could have seen the plane on Sunday.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
gravy boat

Default Cargo plane

Yes...we believe it was a C 130..we were in the forties facing north and saw it as well ...GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
ApS

Cool A Very Handy Aircraft, the C-130...

Quote:
"...It flew so low over our camp that people starting moving off of our deck . Anyway it scared the heck out of my family and I just dont see why some clown needs to fly like that..."
At the lake, a "clown" may be needed to fly like that: C-130s are used to fight fires.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Bubs (06-28-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
granitebox

Default Another Option

Although nowhere near as common as the C-130, the C-27 is a prop driven military aircraft (about half the size of the C-130). Only 2 props vs 4 for the C-130.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
NoBozo

Default Alenia G222 (C-27J Spartan)

I was not familiar with this aircraft. Here's some background. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-27J_Spartan
Old 08-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,605 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
At the lake, a "clown" may be needed to fly like that: C-130s are used to fight fires. :look
I don't recall a forest fire at the lake on that day, certainly not one that required aerial firefighting!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
pm203

Call your local ameteur politician and have them sponsor a bill to stop this outrageous behavior.
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pm203 For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (08-18-2010), BroadHopper (09-07-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
fatlazyless

No kidding here, an airplane just like that; a four propeller, modern looking, very large military cargo plane just flew, low & slow, over the WV tennis courts about thirty minutes ago. Probably wanted to buzz the nearby 9-hole WV golf course to impress their golfer buddies or something.

In addition, the Die-Hard green & white helicopter ambulance hauled someone, maybe a hockey player, out from maybe the ice arena at about the same time? Could have been a fly fisherman who got a fly hooked in his ear and just has real good insurance coverage, too?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
feb

Default Obama??

Any chance it had something to do with security for hypothetically picking up Obama's daughter at summer camp prior to heading to the Vineyard??
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
Merrymeeting

Where I live most of the time, north central MA, we have these things flying over quite often.

They usually fly in threes, sometimes four, and fly just over the tree tops. I often hear them coming for some time when I'm out raking leaves in the fall.

They are on military training runs and practicing low profile, low altitude maneuvers. They seem to like the terrain of the Nashoba Valley for this.

One time I was on a high point in town where you can see west to Mt Wachusett and beyond. I watched them come across the valley from western MA. It was a pretty cool thing to see.

Perhaps a similar training run? The Lakes are not that far from the Nashoba Valley as the "crow" flies.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Yes I saw this too... First lets start with what I know...

IT WAS NOT A C-130.....wasn't even close in size.....

I Don't believe it was a military Aircraft at all, as it flew over Long Island after making its banked turn out I didn't see any insignia carried by planes from our armed services....

Secondly, after the banked turn it flashed it lights twice... as if to signal someone... and say hello....

Now I wouldn't be surprised if it was a aircraft used for fire-fighting as there are many privately owned... however I didn't have a good angle to catch tail numbers so one will never know.

Now was he flying low and potential flying in a manner which could have caused a panic, yep... but with out the before mentioned tail numbers there is nothing really to do about it.... However if you had the tail numbers why you could call the FAA and report him.... That was a commercial sized plane, and he definitely wasn't in commercial airspace and their was no reason why he wasn't.....
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #14
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
.... That was a commercial sized plane, and he definitely wasn't in commercial airspace and their was no reason why he wasn't.....
I don't believe there is such a thing as "Commercial Airspace". Just sayin. NB
Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
fltsimguy

Smile

Now I wasn't there so this is a bit of speculation on my part, but every year the Air Force (I think from upstate NY; Nome?) practices water rescues on the lake. I've seen them doing this every year for the past dozen or so years.

One year my dad and I actually got to witness the practices in the middle of the Broads. A C-130 did a mid-air refueling of two Blackhawk helicopters about I'd say 1500' over the water, then the two helicopters went to the Broads to practice water rescues. Two helicopters would approach a 'drowning swimmer', one would circle the area while the other did the extraction. It was like a private air show! What's even better is that several months later I was watching the Discovery Channel and there was a show on about amazing rescues. Sure enough, they had clip of the training exercise I saw, complete with me on the front of our boat!!
fltsimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #16
PaulH

On Aubust 18 at 11:21 AM, this C-130 in Air Force markings flew near Sandy Island at an altitude of perhaps 500 feet. It was a beautiful sight and one of the high points of my day.

Paul
Attached Images

PaulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Isn't that the same type plane that flys to Antarctica from Chile or Argentina and lands on the snow to service south pole science projects?

Did you just take this photo yesterday while it was flying over Winnipesaukee? That looks similar to the plane I saw flying over the sporty little WV 9-hole golf course, positioned in the flat valley between 4500' Mt Sandwich and Mt Osceola.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #18
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Isn't that the same type plane that flys to Antarctica from Chile or Argentina and lands on the snow to service south pole science projects? .

YES: Except when it flys to Antarctica, it lands on Skis. NB

PS: They are flown by "Cowboys" to Antarctica as well. Just sayin.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #19
KampKelley

Default Ski'30

Flown by the NY ANG. Hopped one to Kentucky from the Cape. It was on it's way to the Caribean. Quite a few comments about wrong plane for the destination.
KampKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #20
DMAX

I'd say if he was over 150 feet away he was legal :>)
DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #21
melvinbayboater

I managed to get a picture of this plane after it flew over my boat outside 20 mile bay. Enjoy watching them fly over.
Name:  c13081510.jpg
Views: 4941
Size:  49.1 KB
melvinbayboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Well I guess I must eat my words It was a C-130.... Thanks for the photographic evidence Paul H,

No Bozo, yes there is in essence commercial airspace.... I don't know what the elevation is, but all commercial air traffic is supposed to remain above X feet unless landing.....

Now back to this C-130....I still would like to know what the heck it was doing on Sunday.... because it wasn't out there on maneuvers not on a Sunday..... Water search and rescue training during the week I will agree with..... But Sunday is another story.... And was actually uncalled for.... at Several points during its flight on Sunday, I was trying to figure out if it was in trouble and coming down, looking for a place to splash land....
Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #23
WeirsGuard

Default C-130 Low Level

Regarding Air Space / Altitiudes. Anything above 10,000 Feet is controlled by FAA Centers such as Boston Center. Below that you can still be under Center Control as long as you maintain Instrument Flight Conditions (IFR) and coordinate with the appropriate Center. If you are under Visual Flight Rules (VFR) you are practicing "See and Avoid" with traffic notifications if you are in radio contact with a Center or local Approach / Departure Control such as Manchester. Under VFR rules, you can fly right down to the water unless other altitude restrictions are in place. I used to fly in KC-135's out of upstate NY and every once in a while we would do a scenic run over the Lake. We were in contact with Boston Center under IFR conditions and were allowed by them down to 1,500 Feet. Any lower and we could have gone VFR as low as we wanted. I believe our regs limited us to 500 Feet over populated areas, which the lake is not. On one occasion Boston Center let us go VFR over the Lake and up through the Mt.Washington area. We took it down to about 500 Feet over the Broads and then maintainted established Minimum Enroute altitudes through the mountains. Quite a view. (The KC-135 is essentially a Boeing 707 configured for the Refueling Mission.)
WeirsGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WeirsGuard For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (08-20-2010)
Old 08-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #24
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Well I guess I must eat my words It was a C-130.... Thanks for the photographic evidence Paul H,

No Bozo, yes there is in essence commercial airspace.... I don't know what the elevation is, but all commercial air traffic is supposed to remain above X feet unless landing.....

Now back to this C-130....I still would like to know what the heck it was doing on Sunday.... because it wasn't out there on maneuvers not on a Sunday..... Water search and rescue training during the week I will agree with..... But Sunday is another story.... And was actually uncalled for.... at Several points during its flight on Sunday, I was trying to figure out if it was in trouble and coming down, looking for a place to splash land....
The FAR's don't differentiate commercial versus non commercial airspace in terms of altitudes. All planes are supposed to stay above x feet unless taking off or landing. The plane was over water so that altitude is a lot lower then if over a city.

I assume we still have weekend warriors. They are giving up their weekends to train to keep us safe.

If not over Winni, would we want them to have to go train over the western deserts? They have to train in someones back yard.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #25
NoBozo

May I Reiterate.. There is no such thing as Commercial Airspace. Any plane can fly anywhere they want as long as they contact ATC (or other authority) and are given permission, when such permission is required. Licensed pilots know when this is required.

FIRST: The North End of the big lake IS designated as part of "Yankee 1 MOA." That means Military Operating Area. Those Military "COWBOYS" can pretty much do as they wish in the interest of training.

There IS an altitude rule that applies to ALL aircraft. (Except Helicopters) For fixed wing aircraft the minimum altitude is generally 500 feet AGL....ie: flying above lightly populated or rural areas. In more heavily populated areas, 1000 feet AGL is the rule.... Say over Wolfeboro or Laconia. (AGL= Above Ground Level.)

Helicopters are exempt from this rule. They may fly at TREE TOP Level as long as their airspeed over the ground is modest... Just Sayin.. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 08-21-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: (Sp)
Old 08-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #26
20mile

Default C130s

C130s and C141s where my favorite planes to fly in. C130 can take off at nearly 70 degs. The pilot stands on the brakes and fully revs the Allison 2100engines and then pops the brake. It is quite exhilarating.

I never got a chance to land in one though.
20mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #27
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20mile View Post
I never got a chance to land in one though.
WHAT..?? How does that work? Does that mean you always have to JUMP..? NB
Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #28
livefreeordie

That was my cousin in that c-130 he was up from his base in AK doing training missions over the lake. They were also at the Pease Air show giving tours of the Plane.
livefreeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #29
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default A10s

The warthogs use to do manuevers over The Broads several times a year in the 70's and 80's. They were ANGs by the look of their markings. I miss seeing them. They put on quite a show!

Lt. Cmdr J A St Louis, originally from Laconia was a Navy test pilot. I remember him flying around the lake in various aircrafts during the 50's and 60's. He flew toward our camp once, so low, that we actually jump off the deck into the lake. Never been so scared in my life!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #30
offmycloud

Thumbs up A10s

I saw Warthogs flying around the Moultonborough Bay area and near the castle around 8/21 I think. It was beautiful. We were up on a hill and they banked right over us. I wish they flew around there more often.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #31
Knockers

Default Coming to a lake near you---

Name:  x131_23.jpg
Views: 6129
Size:  70.4 KB:d-------------------
Knockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #32
kjbathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
If not over Winni, would we want them to have to go train over the western deserts? They have to train in someones back yard.
Our military is welcome to train in my back yard any day, any time! Without their service, I probably wouldn't have the luxury of calling it my back yard at all.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kjbathe For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (09-12-2010), BroadHopper (09-11-2010), kunamola (09-12-2010), Lakepilot (09-10-2010), Ropetow (09-13-2010), Rotor (09-13-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #33
ApS

Question Especially Today...

Thursday at 10:32-AM and Friday, I heard a familiar deep drone I associate with these C-130 propped-engines flying low overhead. Both days were "socked-in" with clouds, so even when they can't view our scenic terrain, they're doing their duty regardless of visibility.

One day, in military- or fire-fighting appearance, some experienced pilot will be there to "save our bacon". How can anyone begrudge their "looking around" when the weather turns clear and sunny once again?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
kunamola (09-12-2010), Rotor (09-13-2010), Tallyho (09-11-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #34
Lakegeezer

When I was still flying (not since the 80's), the regs said the aircraft had to be 500 feet in any direction from people or property. This means a plane could skim the lake at six inches, but would have to still stay 500 feet horizontally from other boats.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #35
Winnicandle

The guys who dedicate their lives and time away from family to defend my backyard can fly their planes over it anytime they want...

Cause panic and stay in commercial airspace?...thats priceless. As an ATP I would love to know what that is!
Winnicandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #36
C_Duff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I don't believe there is such a thing as "Commercial Airspace". Just sayin. NB
There is no such thing as "Commercial Airspace" but there is however "controlled airspace" where FAA Air Traffic Controllers have authority. But below 18,000 feet you can fly what is called VFR (Visual Flight Rules) where you do not need to be on a flight plan, or talk to controllers. Under VFR it is the responsibility of the pilot to maintain a safe flying altitude and see-and-avoid other traffic.

With that being said, if this guy was just buzzing homes in the area, that was not only dangerous, but stupid as well. If you see that aircraft again, take a picture and look for the tail number on the side of the aircraft. Most likely it will start with the letter N
C_Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #37
acanthus

Default We saw that...

We saw that low flying plane too--was expecting to hear a crash--was very creepy!
acanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #38
shoppes on the bay

i get to see them weekly sometimes daily day and night, they are constantly training and fly from an airbase nearby (the ones i am seeing that is) - they are quite impressive - here is a link for 2 that i caught with my cell phone camera, dosnt do them justice though! one early fall morning while about 5 miles offshore i was watching a fast moving target on my ship radar about a mile out which turned out to be a flight of C130's flying low across the sound! low enough to pick up! once early in the a.m i saw them swoop in low and drop rubber rafts out the back training with divers that jumped out of helos really neat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB3lIqzT7hc
shoppes on the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #39
Pineedles

Default US Military Signs

I like hearing the strength of our Military. Whether it is the sound of their engines overhead, the wake they create when then they steam by, or the dust they kick up when they march by. Thank you for making your presence known!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #40
NoBozo

1979: On my way to Bermuda ....about 120 miles out from the island..5 PM..Cocktails...I'm SOLO...SAIL. A C-130 came down to maybe 500 feet ASL and said hellow..rock the wings... CHEERS: NB
Old 06-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #41
ApS

Smile Me—A Pylon in the Lake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
Our military is welcome to train in my back yard any day, any time! Without their service, I probably wouldn't have the luxury of calling it my back yard at all.
They were "out there" again today. With a now-familiar roar, "the big gray thing" came in very low over Mirror Lake, heading in the direction of Rattlesnake Island, but banked steeply directly over my boat and headed east towards Center Harbor.

Alone in the Broads at 4:30, it was a thrill to be "a corner" in his flight across the Lake!

1) Broads Looking North

2) Broads Looking South

3) Looking Directly Overhead!
Attached Images