Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2005, 11:05 AM   #1
Tir Na Nog

Thumbs up 51 Mill Street, Formerly Love's Quay

We ate at 51 Mill Street this past Sunday and it was great. There were four of us. The menu was upscale, ranging from around $12 to just over $20, but the entrees were well worth the price and compared well to the better restaurants in Boston. The food and presentation was great. My brother had a steak special that was on for that night and it was very well prepared and served nicely. His wife had the ribs, my wife also had a steak and I had scallops, lobster (half a tail) and shrimp served over pasta ina very nice and light cream sauce. We also had the escargot and raw ahi tuna appetizers, which were very good. Everyone was very happy with their meals and dessert.

The owners stopped by the table as well as their son (I think his name is Nick) and were very gracious. They seem interested in trying what would work for Wolfeboro and I expect that they will be open to suggestions. The girl who was out server was new to the task and had never waitressed before, so that required a little patience, but she was a great kid and trying very hard. Some of the other wait staff are from Love's Quay and came by to help her out. Over all it was a great experience with an enthusiastic staff and we definitely will be back.

I ended up opting for 51 Mill Street after calling Grille 28 and 51 Mill Street. The gentleman that answered at Grille 28 had no enthusiasm and did not make the place or the menu sound very inviting. I would love to hear any comments on that place for those that have been.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
mackie

Default 51 mill st

I had the best steak I have ever tasted in my life unfortunately it was my wifes. I would like to know what they are using anyone know what the secret is?.. Both meals were wonderful and the desserts were out of this world.
mackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Lake Lady 6

Red face 51 Mill Street

I have never heard of 51 Mill Street - is it a new restaurant in the Lakes Region?
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

It's the old Love's Quay in Wolfeboro. Now under new owners...again.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:27 AM   #5
ghfromaltonbay

Default 51 Mill Street

Are they open for lunch as well or only for dinner?
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default 51 Mill Street

Hi GH! Looks like they are open for lunch. McD
Attached Images

Last edited by mcdude; 04-03-2005 at 04:32 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
Are they open for lunch as well or only for dinner?
I had lunch there yesterday and it was excellent.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #8
ghfromaltonbay

Default Lunch at 51 Mill St.

Do they have a lunch menu, and how are the prices? When it was Love's Quay they used to have lots of specials for lunch and they were usually $9.95
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
Skip

Thumbs up Looking forward to a visit soon.

Very nice to hear good early reviews on 51 Mill.

The proprietors (Cathy & John V.) are long time friends of mine. They have operated a number of successful ventures in the Dover area for many years, and saw the opportunity to move into the Lakes region as a new and exciting challenge.

I know they will do fine in their new location and I look forward to spending many evenings in Wolfeboro at their fine establishment!

I will pass along the compliments when I see them this upcoming weekend,

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up A Good Reason To Try 51 Mill Street

Here is a great opportunity to try 51 Mill Street. If they have a web site, be sure to add it to the Lake Links!

Buffet on the Bay

Sunday April 24, 2005
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm

51 Mill Street
(Formerly Love's Quay)

Luncheon Buffet ~ Desert ~ Coffee ~ Cash Bar ~ Door prizes

All proceeds to benefit
Lakes Region Humane Society

Make reservations by April 17th
For more information contact Carol Hunt at 603-569-4991

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 04-08-2005 at 01:57 PM. Reason: McDude thought it would be nice if I included the date! LOL.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #11
RGA645

Default 51 Mill Street Amazing

Saturday May 7 friends and I had the pleasure to dine at 51 Mill Street, I arrived a little early and had a drink at the bar which in itself is impressive in that it has a very good beer selection and a knowledgable bartender ( Nick) . Once my friends arrived we had several appitizers at the recommendation of the owners John and Cathy, we sampled the ribs, shrimp cocktail , brucsatta bread, and the best item ahi tuna - and not being a big fan of sushi I found this dish to be creative and delicious. After the apps we moved to the dining room overlooking the lake - very scenic. The waiter was friendly, informed and attentive and not pretentous as some waiters in the Portsmouth and Portland area tend to be in formal dining establishments. My choice for entree was the Lamb sirlion with sweet potato rizzoto, the lamb was grilled to perfection and probably the best I've ever had. My friends had a seafood and pasta dish that was filled with big pieces of lobster , shrimp , scallops and linguine and her husband had the 22 oz porterhouse special which was as amazing in presentation as it was taste. I had one of the best meals I've had in a long time and 51 Mill St ranks right with the best restaurants I've been to in NY, Boston, Portsmouth, Portland and the rest of the United States. Do yourself a favor and visit 51 Mill Street.
RGA645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #12
JPC

Were exactly is 51 Mill St? And, how formal is it?
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

It's what was known as Love's Quay and is located on Back Bay in Wolfeboro. Off north main street, take a right just after Nordic Skier, and you can't miss it.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:27 PM   #14
camp guy

Default 51 Mill Street

51 Mill Street is located at 51 Mill Street, Wolfeboro, NH. To get there, go through Town center on 109 and take the first RIGHT (Mill Street) and go about 100 yards, then bear RIGHT into a large parking area serving several buildings. 51 Mill Street is the first building on the RIGHT. As a point of reference, it used to be Love's Quay, and previously Back Bay Boathouse). The dress code is relaxed, neat, clean, and behaved. Enjoy yourself.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:57 PM   #15
Skip

Thumbs up 22 oz. of pure delight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGA645
...Saturday May 7 friends and I had the pleasure to dine at 51 Mill Street...
It was me & my wife that were the friends that accompanied RGA645 to 51 Mill Street Saturday night, and it was an outstanding dining experience.

Yep, I indulged in the special 22 oz. Porterhouse that evening. Also enjoyed a relaxing time in the bar prior to dinner, their appetizers are to kill for.

Exquisite dining in a relaxed atmosphere, can't wait to try it outside once warmer weather arrives.

And yes, FJ, we are long time friends of the owners (I know how you like to dissect restaurant reviewers on this site )....so we are somewhat partial in our beliefs.

That said, I would recommend giving it a try if you are in the area....

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #16
Newbiesaukee

I don't know the owners and had never been to Love's Quay; but we had lunch at 51 Mill Street today and were impressed with the place, the food and the service. The lunch menu was varied from hamburgers to Asian influenced dishes and the desserts were outstanding. Most of the entrees were in the $6-8 range. We looked at the dinner menu which seemed large and equally creative. We will be back to try it.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #17
RGA645

Default 51 Mill Street hits another home run

I dined at 51 Mill Street Saturday and was again impressed with the service and especially the food. I had the tuna app which was unique and very good. For my main meal I had the Halibut special which was very well prepared and tasted terrific. Of couse the Donna Love dessert was very good. I shall return!
RGA645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:05 PM   #18
secondcurve

Default Absolutely Amazing

I also dined (twice) at 51 Mill Street this weekend. The owners are incredibly friendly, as is the help. I simply can not say enough about the food and the atmosphere. THIS IS THE BEST RESTAURANT IN THE LAKES REGION and I have been to them all. The pub is great and the dining room is wonderful. You can get a reasonably cheap lunch or a more formal dinner whatever your mood calls for. Get there early this summer as I'm sure it will be packed. I thought the world of Mike and Donna Love (51 Mill Street is located in the old Loves's Quay building), but the new owners have taken it up a couple of notches.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:26 AM   #19
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Mom and Dad came up for their annual pilgrimage to the lake yesterday and we had lunch at 51 Mill Street to celebrate Father's Day. The lunch menu is limited to sandwiches, burgers, wraps and many, many different salad choices. There were no 'entrees', per se, other than the specials which we enjoyed; a sauteed shrimp/scallop dish served with summer veggies and bow tie pasta and a chicken/beef stir fry. Both were excellent. The view is always nice and they are set up outside with about 20 tables and a bar which looks like it may be opened for special functions. I especially enjoyed viewing back bay knowing that under the water the recent herbicidal treatment was being sucked up into the roots of that nasty invasive milfoil!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote