Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
MaidenCove07

Default Anyone remember "Weeks"?

Wow - I used to love that place growing up....standard American fair with very reasonable prices, then a sundae to top it all off.

Went off to serve in the Army, came home and it was GONE...much to my dismay as I drove over to mow down on my favorite Fried Chicken sandwich with their awesome cole slaw...(thankfully, JB Scoops satisfied my ice cream needs).

Wish there were more, reasonably priced, all plain old American food joints around. I love a night out at Willow's or The Galley, but it can be hard on the wallet if I treat too often.

Anyone know of a place that still makes Chicken Croquettes and home made mashed potatoes??
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
jerseyonbear

Default restaurant no butcher yes

I remember as a child going to Weeks Butcher Shop which was off the main street in Meredith on a side street. Dating myself that had to be in the 1950's Wonder if it is a spinoff of the same family.
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
michael c

Default Weeks in Meredith

Early 60's ..my sister used to work there. I would take my ski boat to the town docks and walk over to weeks and get a sundae...when my sister came over for the money [which I didn't have] she paid for it out of her tips !! ,yeah I was only 13-14 then ...Remember the ice cream monster
" The Mount Washington?"
Mike
Old 03-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
jkjoshuatree

Wink I Remember The Weeks In Concord....?

Is it the same chain?

Friday nights on the way to Winni we'd stop there for a burger and fries.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Got you covered,Maiden.....The Village Kitchen in Moultonborough (The sign says "Country Cookin'")real homemade chicken croquettes,fresh mashed,and the gravy is not some glop out of a can.It's made from the broth of the roasted chickens.Same with the turkey croquettes which are on special from time to time but the chicken croqs are on the menu and available any time.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree
Is it the same chain?

Friday nights on the way to Winni we'd stop there for a burger and fries.
I believe they were the same.I think they were an offshoot of Weeks Dairy actually.We had one in Manchvegas also.I always thought they were similar to the Friendly's chain.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Weirs guy

Franklin NH had one as well, which became Favorites before recently going out of business, again. I do remember the Mount Washington, but was too young to tackle that beast myself.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
Woodsy

Maiden...

georges Diner in Meredith has Chicken Croquettes on the menu all the time.... and they are awesome! Food is all reasonably priced!

Woodsy
Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
Aquadeziac

Default Concord too

We actually had two in Concord. One on North State St which was at the 'Corporate Headquarters' and one on Fort Eddy Rd in the Shaws Plaza. They were part of the Weeks/Concord Dairy. There was also one in Laconia just as you were coming into town on Rt 106, its a Chinese Restaurant now Shanghai Island or something like that.
Does anyone remember the Road Kill Cafe in Laconia where Shaws is now?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
Kevin C

Default Does anyone remember....

I remember when going to Gunstock in the early 70s when coming up from Boston, we'd stop at a restaurant for breakfast that was right on route 3 and right on Lake Winnisquam where you could be seated and watch the winter activities out on the lake. Does anyone remember the name of that restaurant, when it went out of business and exactly where it was located? I always wondered. Thanks.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #11
jkjoshuatree

Wink I Remember The RoadKill Cafe...

...I also remember having a dark blue T-shirt with "roadkill" on the back with tire tracks running through said roadkill.

And there were menu items listed too, like "wrecked racoon stew" or "mangles moose burgers".
Old 03-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
MaidenCove07

Default Croquettes, here I come

Been looking for those croquettes for some time, but, shamefully, I haven't ventured far from my Wiers Beach digs...

Since joining the Forum, however, I have LOTS of excuses to get away this season...

78 days 'til Memorial Day weekend and grand opening 2007!!!!

Can't wait!
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:53 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Kevin,I think that might have been Isabelle's Red Shanty.There is a real estate office there now and it looks right out on the broads of the lake.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #14
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael clayton
Early 60's ..my sister used to work there. I would take my ski boat to the town docks and walk over to weeks and get a sundae...when my sister came over for the money [which I didn't have] she paid for it out of her tips !! ,yeah I was only 13-14 then ...Remember the ice cream monster
" The Mount Washington?"
Mike
I'll date myself here as well...After the Friday night Football game everyone headed over to Weeks to celebrate. Either there or the sand pits http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...es/liplick.gif
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
Janet

Loved those "Sissy Splits" and the "Awful, Awful" at Weeks. One of my fondest memories of the lake. Always stopped there for lunch on the way to Meredith for the month of August.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #16
Kevin C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
Kevin,I think that might have been Isabelle's Red Shanty.There is a real estate office there now and it looks right out on the broads of the lake.

Samiam.....I remember that it was a decent size restaurant that had a lot of glass in the back to watch the lake. Does that describe the Shanty? The name Isabelle's Red Shanty does not ring a bell with me, but it was 35 years ago!

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #17
SAMIAM

No,Kevin,Isabelles was just a tiny place....maybe 20 seats tops.Now you've got me puzzled....I grew up in the lakes region and I don't recall a place such as you describe.....maybe someone else can come to our rescue.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #18
mg2107

was it the place in lakeport that was converted to Wendys which is now closed? the Captains Table ot something like that. Come on ole timers help me out.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #19
Zeke

Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else, but I have vague recolections of something like Jack in the Box, or something to that effect, on Winnisquam.
Yes? No?
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:33 PM   #20
KPW

Wasn't there a place called the Double Decker or something?
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #21
Kevin C

I could be wrong, but besides the wide glass on the back wall, I believe in the restaurant you'd step down 1 step to get to the back of the restaurant from the front section.

Author Unknown.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #22
Kevin C

Goodsk8s....I think you are referring to the vacant building at the corner of Union Ave and Route 3 when heading south just before you cross the bridge over Winnisquam. That, unfortunately, is not the restaurant. This one was right on the lake. ....but thanks for trying. Hopefully someone will remember the name and the exact location.

Author Unknown.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #23
MWSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else, but I have vague recolections of something like Jack in the Box, or something to that effect, on Winnisquam.
Yes? No?
I remember Jack in the Box being on the corner of Route 3 and Bay Road right next to Mosquito Bridge back in the early 1970's. I just spoke with my brother who recalls the building being moved further south on Rte 3 and dumped/parked in the woods on the right as you head toward Tilton. It may have been a trailer or maybe an old diner at one time?
MWSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #24
Kevin C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWSP
I remember Jack in the Box being on the corner of Route 3 and Bay Road right next to Mosquito Bridge back in the early 1970's. I just spoke with my brother who recalls the building being moved further south on Rte 3 and dumped/parked in the woods on the right as you head toward Tilton. It may have been a trailer or maybe an old diner at one time?

What I remember is a bigger restaurant with an open dining room at the back with the fabulous lake view. Property was right on the water further north up 3 from the Mosquito bridge. I honestly don't remember if it had a lunch counter (diner style) up front.

Author Unknown.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #25
Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWSP
Yes, That's it. I'd say it existed then, or someone else is sharing an incorrect memory.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #26
MWSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Yes, That's it. I'd say it existed then, or someone else is sharing an incorrect memory.
I remember Jack in the Box being there but don't have any pictures to prove it.

Who remembers the little drive-in place that was located where Tilton Ford/Chrysler/Plymouth/etc. is now? I can't remember the name but I do remember 4 large flag poles behind it that you could see from the highway. The building was fairly small and I believe it only had window service, no dining room.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #27
cursereversed

Cool

I remember going to weeks dairy bar in Laconia when i was a kid with my mom, and ordering from the walk up ice cream window. My wife shares these same memories with her mom and grandmother. Boy, that is a tasty memory!
cursereversed is offline   Reply With Quote