Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Boston Fireguy

Default Are Gloves Required For Restaurant Food Handlers?

I'm throwing out this question while I await an answer from the NH Dept. of Health. Are restaurant food handlers required to wear one time use or disposable gloves? It has become so common to see the gloves being worn that when workers making sub sandwiches aren't wearing them, as I saw in a local sub/pizza shop last night, it stands out.
Boston Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Don't have the law in front of me but this is how most restaurants handle it.
Gloves must be used for food that has been prepared and being served to a customer.....in other words,you don't need gloves if you were cutting a steak but would need them to cook and serve it.
Most restaurants,as we do,use gloves for all stages of food prep.....but nothing replaces good hygene and handwashing.
I've seen restaurant employees make a sandwich, take cash from the customer,make change and return to making food again,all with the same gloves on.......Within the law but not too sanitary.
My pet peeve is those restroom signs that say "Employee's must wash hands"
Then they touch the door knob as they leave.
We have a policy that everyone who leaves the kitchen for any reason must wash hands with soap and water in the kitchen before returnng to work.
Just my thoughts and probably not to the letter of the law....hope it helps.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Boston Fireguy (10-07-2014), BroadHopper (09-30-2014), ITD (09-30-2014), Pineedles (09-30-2014), topwater (10-02-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Tomt

Like SAMIAM said they handle the food and then the cash register. Drives me crazy.
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I have seen that more than once and wonder every time why bother to wear the gloves?????!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Newbiesaukee

I tried to find the answer but with limited success. Apparently, NH has fairly stringent requirements and has adopted the 2009 FDA food handling requirements. That probably sounds more authoritative than it is.

Anyway, food handlers handling ready to eat food such as pizza are required to wear gloves among other requirements. If the person is using a utensil, such as tongs to pick up a burger, then gloves are not required.

Of course, if the simple rules of hygiene ( and logic) are not applied, .such as,the worker wearing gloves to blow his nose, or,worse, and not changing a dirty glove it is all for nought.

I would prefer being served by someone who follows careful hand washing practice rather than by someone with dirty gloves.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
wynndog

Default food safety

I have worked for Kraft foods and Hershey. FDA required gloves,hair nets & beard nets. I don't know how & when small food services get inspected.BUT
I do know it's not pretty when you get a hair with your meal.
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote