Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #101
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
You are 100% correct Tis. While NH is an "at will" state, as a business owner you better have your ducks in a row if you plan on terminating someone, including records of verbal and multiple written warnings prior to termination.

The employer is almost always at the losing end of a wrongful termination suit if the company does not follow proper protocol.

Dan
And in the case I sat on the plaintiff won some restitution. What I found fascinating with the case was the plaintiff was documented by the employer and formally warned by the employer about illegal activity the employee was engaged in at the work place numerous times - yet still the majority of the jury insisted that the plaintiff was targeted, harassed and then terminated. In the end the compromise the jury came to was not to find the employer guilty of wrongful termination, but still the plaintiff was awarded an undisclosed sum of money.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #102
dave603

Market Basket board tells employees to get back to work

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/money/market-bas...#ixzz38znE7NLC
Old 07-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #103
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
And in the case I sat on the plaintiff won some restitution. What I found fascinating with the case was the plaintiff was documented by the employer and formally warned by the employer about illegal activity the employee was engaged in at the work place numerous times - yet still the majority of the jury insisted that the plaintiff was targeted, harassed and then terminated. In the end the compromise the jury came to was not to find the employer guilty of wrongful termination, but still the plaintiff was awarded an undisclosed sum of money.
Just one more reason why it is so discouraging to be in business today. I predict that if things continue no one will want to run a business in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ITD (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #104
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
Market Basket board tells employees to get back to work

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/money/market-bas...#ixzz38znE7NLC

It's tough to work when you have no customers.....
Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #105
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default An article in Foster's this morning...

Talked about the workers in the Rochester MB were painting, cleaning, and generally sprucing up the store when they had no customers to wait on. Pretty decent kids...and most of them are just that.
Rusty (07-30-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #106
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
It's tough to work when you have no customers.....
I read where MB is holding a customer fair, to replace all the lost customers.
WakeboardMom (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #107
dave603

According to the ad in the Boston Globe, the open house for job applications on Monday, is for current employees only, Wednesday is for anyone else.
If they are doing what I've seen other companies do in the past, they will offer them their jobs back at a lower pay rate, and less bennies.
This is only going to make things worse than they are with the current employees.
Keep boycotting ART $.'s MB, wait for for Art T. to get it back.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #108
Rusty

Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 PM   #109
RANGER CANOE CO

Default Love MB

And love it when the every day, regular folks stand up to the Greedy Corporate World we seen to live in.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #110
P-3 Guy

Quote:
So I would agree that any employee who is encouraging shoppers to go elsewhere, or not showing up for work would be grounds for termination. Picketing the firing of the CEO? Not so sure about that one, to me that's their constitutional right of free speech.
The constitutional right of free speech means that the government can't punish you for saying something. There is no constitutional right of free speech in the employer-employee relationship. Any business would be perfectly within its rights to fire any employee that picketed the firing of the CEO, absent an employment contract that states otherwise.

I get a chuckle every time a hear about an employee that mouths off to his or her boss, gets fired (duh!), and then claims a constitutional violation of their free speech rights.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #111
donnamatrix

Default Workers keep strong!

Evidently MB has taken out front page ad in Boston Globe advertising work fairs next week. And, a labor-lawyer has provided how the law is viewed:

But workers News 9 has spoken with during the protests said they have been rallying during their off-hours and working their shifts. Some have said they're worried about getting fired.

Labor and employment lawyer James Reidy, of Sheehan, Phinney, Bass and Green, said that as long as employees keep fighting for better working conditions for the company as a whole, their actions are protected under the National Labor Relations Act, despite the fact the workers are not unionized.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #112
gus62

I certainly understand the law and appreciate what the employees want however has it ever been determined that their working conditions deteriorated since Artie T. was replaced or are they believing that they will in the future? If this is the case then how would they be protected by the NLRB based on future concerns with no real differences at this time.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #113
dave603

Default Now both Mass. and NH AGs are weighing in.

Say they do decide to fire...oh let's say 15000 of the workers.
that a LOT of money to have to pay out in one to three days!
http://www.scribd.com/doc/235571747/...orneys-General
Old 07-31-2014, 05:57 PM   #114
diz

Quote:
Say they do decide to fire...oh let's say 15000 of the workers.

that a LOT of money to have to pay out in one to three days!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/235571747/...orneys-General

Maybe I'm cynical but why do the politicians feel the need to send this letter? Do the AGs think Market Basket is unaware of state law? Having lived in Mass. For many years this feels like part of Coakley's campaign.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:36 PM   #115
dave603

I have to agree there.
I thought it was unusual that they both sent the letter together?
Sort of makes it invalid in some way.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:03 PM   #116
Rusty

You'll be surprised about how many "scabs" are waiting in the wings to take your job when something like this happens.

Remember Simplex Wire in Newington NH, 1977?

The company is still running and doing very well.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #117
diz

Default Help me understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You'll be surprised about how many "scabs" are waiting in the wings to take your job when something like this happens.

Remember Simplex Wire in Newington NH, 1977?

The company is still running and doing very well.
I'm having trouble getting my head around this...

1. MB isn't a union shop. I've always understood the term scab to be a reference to non-union employees in a union shop.

2. According to the news the employees are protesting during their off time so they should have no reason to worry about being fired, especially since MB issued a note saying they could come back Monday with no fear of retribution.

3. Have any benefits actually been cut or changed in any way? The media leaves me with the impression that the answer is no.

I'm not trying to take a position on the issue. I just wonder how it got to the point where employees are protesting, customers are forced to shop elsewhere and both politicians and MB are using the media to reiterate laws and advertise job fairs.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #118
Rusty

I couldn't think of a better word to use for the person who might take the place of a fired MB employee.

Do you have one?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #119
diz

Default I'm still not following

Quote:
I couldn't think of a better word to use for the person who might take the place of a fired MB employee.

Do you have one?
I don't because I'm still not sure what's really happening. I've seen a lot of news footage of empty shelves, protesting employees and trucks being turned away from loading docks. If the MB employees care so much about the MB family, doesn't that include customers? And the health of the company itself?

All this makes me wonder how a profitable company with such loyal employees and great benefits can bring itself to the position they're in.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 PM   #120
Bigstan

Default It's a little early for that....

Quote:

Do you have one?
It's a little early for that....as they are still playing chicken. Who will blink 1st? I bet the workers pockets are not as deep as the companies....and something as simple as the company saying they will keep the status quo in all ways with customers and emplyees ends the dispute. You can want your CEO back all you want, but you can only hope to influence that decision, not force it.

But what would I call your 'scabs'? A couple possibilities.....

1. Unemployed - someone who needs a job and who will take one in a heartbeat.

2. Ambitous - someone who sees an opportunity to advance their position and sees a great chance to do so.

3. Capitalists - if you can make more money there than you make currently then you take the job.

Nothing wrong with any of the above in my opinion.....if customers differ they dont come back and the company folds - the market will correct itself and we will see who was right.....I am thinking of becoming a 'scab' customer, I am ready to go back and the stores are not empty of anything save produce by me.

Realistically it won't come to that. 5000-15000 employees will not walk away in this economy, and the company cannot hope to hire and train that many replacements. Someone will blink....
Old 08-01-2014, 03:17 AM   #121
RailroadJoe

Sure noting has changed under benefits, Now, that is. But wait a few months under the Co-COs are i comand. Then changes to bonuses, cuts in medical plus a few more nasty deals. I'm all for the employes. They deserve a man mike Arther T to lead them, not a greedy bunch of relatives calling the shots behind the CEO's.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:26 AM   #122
tis

I am still wondering what is going on too. How do they know that Arthur S is so bad? Have they been told if he takes over specifically what will happen? There must be at least a LITTLE BIT of another half to this story other than what we are hearing. There must be a reason why the board wants to get rid of Arthur T. Anyone know the inside scoop?
Old 08-01-2014, 06:27 AM   #123
Kamper

From what I've read in the news, most of the employees are reporting for their shifts and picketing on their own time.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #124
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Sure noting has changed under benefits, Now, that is. But wait a few months under the Co-COs are i comand. Then changes to bonuses, cuts in medical plus a few more nasty deals. I'm all for the employes. They deserve a man mike Arther T to lead them, not a greedy bunch of relatives calling the shots behind the CEO's.
How do you know that this is going to happen?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #125
nhcatrider

Having seen some of the memos that went around before I left, ASD wants to cut the bonuses and profit sharing so he can put the money in his own pockets. With the profit sharing we are talking about a plan that is currently worth over 1/2 BILLION dollars, none of which has come out of employee paychecks. As for the bonuses, rumor was christmas was in excess of $35 million each year. Add it up, it's a lot of money. I can understand why a greedy person would want to put their fingers in the pie. Remember, we are talking about someone who makes millions every year, is worth over $1 billion, and it isn't enough.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #126
gus62

Just playing devils advocate. You keep saying ASD wants all the money when in reality it would go to all stockholders where ASD is around 17% ownership. Yes his "side" has a slight majority so his actions would/should be based on their wants and not just his.
Any monies that are in a retirement profit sharing fund can not be touched, only the future contributions could change.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #127
Sue Doe-Nym

If these employees do not go back to work on Monday, will they expect to collect unemployment benefits?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #128
nhcatrider

Depends on how the company puts their reason for unemployment. If they can prove the employee quit, then no they can not collect. If the employee is involuntarily terminated, in Mass they have to be paid all monies owed to them at the end of the day, in NH it's three days.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #129
tis

That's what I always thought, but we have had employees quit and they have collected unemployment. I have never figured that out.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #130
nhcatrider

I had one quit several years ago and tried to collect. We asked for a hearing and got it squashed.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #131
Rusty

Market Basket here they come with resume in hand:

Old 08-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #132
Farfrumbehavin

Now that we are at 129 post, all of which have been very informative, written buy very many people with many views from different sides. I have a much better understanding of what's going on here. Suprised at how long this has gone on, while we are waiting for the next chapter of this book to end, let's get our pull our crystal ball down off the shelf, dust it off and tell me what you see looking into the future. The majority of what I know about the situation is what I have read here. Never really knew how employees felt about the company. We shopped at the Tilton store, went in worked our way through the crowd, happy to leave with our groceries knowing that we had saved come money compared to having shopped at Shaw's, where we would have had the store to ourselves. My crystal ball may need calibration but what I see, (because I have become a cynic because I am usually the bug and not the windshield) is that It's obvious that there are huge EGO's at play here given the history, and the person and people who have the power know they have it, and it has come down to simply winning at any cost.When the job fairs are over and everyone has been replaced, qaulified or not, and don't kid yourself, there are people who will take these jobs, the stores will soon be back open and cooperate greed will win again. And if people can SAVE $ by shopping at MB that is exactly what they will do. I can't make it a better place to work, but we are in a world where the rich just get richer, it sucks but it's the way capitalism works. Then the stores will fill back up with customers. Not because they are happy with the outcome but because they will save money. I like many people Hate shopping at Wal-Mart. but there are items that I will go in there for that I save big on, so I do it. We are on a budget! bottom line and my bottom line is more important to me than Arthur S's bottom line. I like 99.9% of shoppers will be gald they supported the efforts of the MB family,but when the smoke clears and everyone forgets about the whole thing because it's not a news story any more, they will be back in the stores taking advantage of the savings if that's where the savings are. I wished this whole issue would change they way they look at how they treat there customers and employees but the bottom line is the bottom line!
The Following User Says Thank You to Farfrumbehavin For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #133
dave603

Default The first 8 fired

Are now suing for the reasons listed in the AGs letter.
MB has dug themselves a big hole to get out of.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #134
Bigstan

Quote:
Are now suing for the reasons listed in the AGs letter.
MB has dug themselves a big hole to get out of.
Not really. The managers weren't working, witholding of some or all of a bi-weekly check is thus ok.

Failure to provide an accounting of the profit sharing plan - not available on demand. Sorry, you have to wait for that, it is not due upon termination. Those plans are regulated - I would bet there is legal counsel that knows the requisite timeframes - but safe to say you cannot have a statement on demand.

Spreading disinformation is the key here (willingful or otherwise) - making assumptions based on nothing, basing assumptions on what people think management will do......solidarity is great to see, but everything points towards a management win unless the offer is taken. Boiled down it's 'Corporate greed bad - employees good'. That ends one way...
Old 08-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #135
dave603

Default Bigstan

Not to sure about that, at least for the first guy they fired. They fired him on the Sunday after this started Friday late afternoon, by courier.
Unless his last paycheck was also with the termination letter, by Mass. law, they broke the rules.
Also depends on what reason they used. He was upper level management, so who knows if he is covered or not, but it was becuase he was talking, but after hours.
He may have a case here. Which is only going to muddy the waters even more.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #136
MAXUM

I am so sick and tired of hearing the term corporate greed. So if a company decides to circle the wagons, cut back on salaries, employees, benefits or whatever that is considered corporate greed. If executives are given performance bonuses because such actions help stabilize the company and improve profitability they are scoffed at as being evil and greedy. OK fine, then let me introduce the term of employee greed. Employees that expect, insist and demand that they get what they want even if it hurts the bottom line of the company they work for. They expect that holding a menial job means that somehow that is worth a certain salary even though what they do requires no specific talent, skill or education. They demand lavish benefits, profit sharing and bonuses completely clueless as to the cost associated with not only having them as an employee, or what it takes to run a business.

Capitalism isn't evil, in fact it's awesome because it allows anyone who is smart enough, willing enough, eager enough and bold enough to start their own business to do so. Is is a guarantee of success NO, but the chance is there. Is it always fair, nope, but what in life really is? Those that are successful sometimes do get rich and I applaud them for doing so. Why should they not enjoy the spoils of their hard work?

Am I a rich guy? Hell no, I am merely an employee of a company where I know executives that sit well above me are making millions per year benefiting on the contributions that I make every day, that's why I have a job in the first place to provide value. Am I envious of them, no. Do I think it's fair? Well let me put it this way, I am not capable of doing their job, I have neither the background, experience or level of education to do what they do. I also would not want the responsibility, stress or headaches they have to deal with on a daily basis. While it's true they do make a handsome sum of money and do enjoy perks I'll never get, there is a reason for that. Not just anyone can do their job. Therefore for any company to get the best talent they will offer what perks will attract what they are looking for. In the same way the position that I fill not just anyone can do so therefore I am compensated accordingly and get perks others may not get. That is the way things work, don't like it better yourself! I didn't start off in the position that I'm in I worked for it, and very hard. Anyone says to me "must be nice" well it is, but it didn't come cheap and I refused to be just a 40 hour a week widget maker. Been there done that and decided I'm better than that. For those that are satisfied to do that kind of work, or have no ambition to do anything else, don't complain, you made that decision and it has nothing to do with corporate greed.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-04-2014), chasedawg (08-03-2014), chipj29 (08-04-2014), missedbass (08-03-2014), SPT13 (08-05-2014), Sue Doe-Nym (08-02-2014), tis (08-02-2014), wifi (08-03-2014), winnasake (08-04-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #137
tis

Quote:
I am so sick and tired of hearing the term corporate greed. So if a company decides to circle the wagons, cut back on salaries, employees, benefits or whatever that is considered corporate greed. If executives are given performance bonuses because such actions help stabilize the company and improve profitability they are scoffed at as being evil and greedy. OK fine, then let me introduce the term of employee greed. Employees that expect, insist and demand that they get what they want even if it hurts the bottom line of the company they work for. They expect that holding a menial job means that somehow that is worth a certain salary even though what they do requires no specific talent, skill or education. They demand lavish benefits, profit sharing and bonuses completely clueless as to the cost associated with not only having them as an employee, or what it takes to run a business.

Capitalism isn't evil, in fact it's awesome because it allows anyone who is smart enough, willing enough, eager enough and bold enough to start their own business to do so. Is is a guarantee of success NO, but the chance is there. Is it always fair, nope, but what in life really is? Those that are successful sometimes do get rich and I applaud them for doing so. Why should they not enjoy the spoils of their hard work?

Am I a rich guy? Hell no, I am merely an employee of a company where I know executives that sit well above me are making millions per year benefiting on the contributions that I make every day, that's why I have a job in the first place to provide value. Am I envious of them, no. Do I think it's fair? Well let me put it this way, I am not capable of doing their job, I have neither the background, experience or level of education to do what they do. I also would not want the responsibility, stress or headaches they have to deal with on a daily basis. While it's true they do make a handsome sum of money and do enjoy perks I'll never get, there is a reason for that. Not just anyone can do their job. Therefore for any company to get the best talent they will offer what perks will attract what they are looking for. In the same way the position that I fill not just anyone can do so therefore I am compensated accordingly and get perks others may not get. That is the way things work, don't like it better yourself! I didn't start off in the position that I'm in I worked for it, and very hard. Anyone says to me "must be nice" well it is, but it didn't come cheap and I refused to be just a 40 hour a week widget maker. Been there done that and decided I'm better than that. For those that are satisfied to do that kind of work, or have no ambition to do anything else, don't complain, you made that decision and it has nothing to do with corporate greed.
Wow, Maxum! What a post! I feel the same way, I get so tired of hearing about corporate greed. Maybe it is true in some cases. But I never thought of the fact that employees are being greedy when they want all for themselves and don't care about the company they work for. Excellent post! You said it very well!! Thanks!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #138
Sue Doe-Nym

Perhaps the employees should pool their money and buy out the existing shareholders, then they can run the company any way they wish. Last I checked, MB was a privately owned company and is run by the CEO who was elected by the directors who in turn were elected by the shareholders - who are the OWNERS. The present management may be unpopular but nothing has been done that is illegal or unethical.

If new policies are enacted that cause the company to no longer be competitive then we the customers will shop elsewhere. Likewise, if the employees without employment contracts do not like the way they are being treated or compensated, they can go work for another company.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #139
jeffk

This is not a fight between the corporate world and the little guys. This is a fight between 2 different business philosophies. One, ATD, wants to build the business, new stores, more customers, better trained and happier employees. He keeps prices low to attract customers although this reduces profit per customer, he hopes to build more volume. To accomplish this, a lot of the profits are returned to the business to pay for all this. The result of this, eventually, is a business with a larger customer base and increased business value.

The other, ASD, wants higher profit per customer. That will probably mean higher prices. That may mean less employee perks and other costs. He also wants more profit available to shareholders, including himself. Part of accomplishing this is stopping store expansion and retaining the money for shareholders instead. All this can be a working philosophy. Many stores charge higher prices and are successful. (Apple) This philosophy can also lead to a more profitable business by cutting costs. It definitely yields more to the shareholders, who, like it or not, own the business and are entitled to the profits. If you deposited money in a bank, how would you feel if the bank told you that you would have to wait 15 years for them to grow the business until you got your money and profit back?

The question is, can MB compete against Hannafords and others if they no longer have a low price and friendly store advantage? I personally doubt it.

But don't believe that ATD doesn't want corporate profits. He's just taking a more long term approach of building the business to get them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-04-2014), dave603 (08-02-2014), gillygirl (08-03-2014), RailroadJoe (08-02-2014)
Old 08-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #140
dave603

@ Jeff. YES
And on top of that what ATD is doing is adding jobs to a crappy economy whenever he adds another store. In order to build the business he needs the customers and the employees, and keep prices down. If MB raises their prices, with all the current wolves at the door waiting for it, MB is dead period.
The current board with the BS they have pulled, have stopped the expansion of at least two stores in Mass. that I know about.

So yes Tis and Maxum, it's not just about the greed here. ATD at least was adding much needed jobs, while supplying much needed prices.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #141
RailroadJoe

To those who are still confused about where the problem bega, please check post #16with the following
http://consumerist.com/2014/07/22/fo...in-two-states/

It all goes bank to the father of Arther T. He was the baddie. Arther T has done a better job at CEO than many others that I have encountered in my work life.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #142
Farfrumbehavin

Well said Maxum, One thing we have in common is that I have spent my life bettering myself and trying to motivate greedy employees to do the same for every ones sake. I left high school into a very difficult economy. Living on my own, supporting myself at 17 yrs old, handed nothing. Started at the bottom anywhere I went, and worked hard for everything i have. I went to night school at 3 different colleges over a six year period to achieve the level of education I needed to pursue my goals. I ran my own business for a few years and took a good job in a good company so someone else could handle the bull**** and I could do what I'm good at. Of course I have people above me who have taken all the risk and provided me with a very good job and I am very grateful. It wasn't always that way but I did something about it! I am very valuable to the people that I work for and am very happy with the level of compensation. But I like some people, have, along the way worked at one time or another for some very greedy people, just a fact. Call it what you want i choose to call it what it is. I worked for a family business that two brothers inherited and both worked but had no idea what it took to get there. Could not and did not appreciate the employee that worked very hard to try to make things better for everybody in the company. Cut operating cost every way they could including cutting employees benefits and lowering pay scales. I managed projects that saved these guys tens of thousands of dollars and they showed no appreciation. l call it the shell game where the pea always ends up in there pocket. My understanding of what may be happening here with MB, at least what I have heard from employees who were petitioning signatures, was that without the guy who wears the white hat they stand to loose many of the benefits that make it such a good place for them to work. And the good employees are not the greedy ones. The are the ones who appreciate the way they have been treated an know what they have. I understand it is not the big guy agajnst the little guy, but the buisness philosiphy that has been in place seems to work pretty well. Very happy customers, very happy employees, making enough money to grow and open more stores and make more people happy and make more money doing it. I did not say capitalism is evil, This is capatalism as it's best. I have always tried to make the system work for me. That's why I shop at MB I am a capalist. No I'm not rich either, but I have more than I ever dreamed i'd have. And I have have everything I need. I also help others that deserve it whenever I have a chance to do so. The whole thing is very interesting to me and I should have added that I hope to god my prediction is wrong. It just appears that the guy with the power does not give two ****s about about the mom working in the bakery trying to get her kids through school as much as he does his own bottom line. That my friend whether you like it or not is greed. I hope to god I'm wrong.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Farfrumbehavin For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (08-04-2014), Islander2 (08-04-2014), jeffk (08-04-2014), MAXUM (08-04-2014), RailroadJoe (08-04-2014), RLW (08-04-2014), WakeboardMom (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #143
RailroadJoe

Default farfrumbehaving

Congradulations on the best response yet. My way of life also. And the companies I worked for appreciated my contribution and I ended up high in managment by treating the people who worked for me as equals, not just employees.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #144
SIKSUKR

This is such a bizarre situation that I can't ever recall seeing. It's like a strike but its almost the opposite and the customers(me included) have sort of sided with this. Myself really because I know the shelves are empty so why go in there. I have a brand new store very near my house(Bedford) that I go by 4 times a day and never go in because there are only 5-10 cars at best near the entrance. It would be nice to see the employees get their ATD back but I havn't a clue how this thing is going to end up.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #145
jrc

I'm sad, as this is will end badly for the company and its employees. Another New England institution is going to die and this time by suicide.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (08-06-2014), winnasake (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #146
nhcatrider

It's interesting to say the least. You have a board of directors and a pair of ceo's that are clueless as to what is going on and blaming the lower level employees. The employees are blaming it on the customers boycotting the stores. The customers are blaming it on upper management. The sad part of it is if it takes 3 weeks to hammer out the deal between the two cousins there will not be a business left. Then there will be 25000 employees looking for work, not to mention the thousands of vendors that are out as well, plus the ripple effect through the economy of the region. That will drive more people out to other states to seek jobs. How long before certain people are going around with a huge target on themselves?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #147
RailroadJoe

If Arther T gets back as CEO , you can almost bet that every employee will be offered their job back plus bonuses and other fringe benefits that he will make.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #148
Rusty

When I saw all the people protesting today at the job fair, it totally disgusted me.

Enough is enough!!! I was all for the workers in the beginning but now it has gone too far.

To destroy a company the way these people are doing it is insane. You can say the new CEO is the bad guy but I think different now.

However if that's what they all want to do then they had better be prepared to suffer the consequences.

OK, now let me have it!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #149
Chaselady

I sympathize with everyone but what does this thread have to do with the Lakes Region? It seems like everyone has gotten involved with trying to decipher the broken business model, but does it have any meaning for the Winni Forum?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #150
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
I sympathize with everyone but what does this thread have to do with the Lakes Region? It seems like everyone has gotten involved with trying to decipher the broken business model, but does it have any meaning for the Winni Forum?
You don't find this fascinating and of interest to thousands of Lakes Region people who shop at MB?

I'm very interested in what this forum has to say about it.

I shopped there and want to continue to shop there.
WakeboardMom (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #151
HellRaZoR004

This certainly has a lot to do with the lakes region. Didn't the Tilton Shaw's just close b/c of competition like MB right down the street?
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
Rusty (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #152
Chaselady

Quote:
You don't find this fascinating and of interest to thousands of Lakes Region people who shop at MB?

I'm very interested in what this forum has to say about it.

I shopped there and want to continue to shop there.
I would like to shop there also. But this thread has gone on, and on, and ON. And there seems to be a never ending supply of opinions, and speculation about a business that IMO will survive, or crash and burn despite what the Forum members think.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #153
ITD

Quote:
When I saw all the people protesting today at the job fair, it totally disgusted me.

Enough is enough!!! I was all for the workers in the beginning but now it has gone too far.

To destroy a company the way these people are doing it is insane. You can say the new CEO is the bad guy but I think different now.

However if that's what they all want to do then they had better be prepared to suffer the consequences.

OK, now let me have it!
I don't see it that way Rusty, from what I read, Arthur S. gained control and the first thing he did was make a $300 million distribution to the share holders. A move like this can be devastating to a company, especially one in such a competitive market. From what I understand Arthur T has been growing the company by leaps and bounds during his tenure, which is very capital intensive. The moves by Arthur S. are destabilizing and will, in my opinion, result in the demise of MB, as prices will have to increase to pay for things and cuts will have to be made, most likely affecting the employees. I think the employees are brave by putting it on the line, I think the board and Arthur S. never in their wildest dreams thought anything like this would happen. I think they thought of the employees as chattel, more akin to livestock than humans who can think for themselves. I think this was a huge miscalculation by the BOD and Arthur S. To me the prudent thing for them to do is sell out. They will get their money, and hopefully Arthur T. will be able to recover and make it work. I think the devastation of the company that is happening now, the fault for that lies squarely on Arthur S. shoulders, he should have been smarter, but hatred clouds judgment...

I personally will not step foot in a MB again, unless the employees get Arthur T. back, while I was not a regular customer, I was about to become one as they are building an MB near me...... this bums me out.

There are many employees at MB, some are young, some more seasoned. As with any large group of people, some will make mistakes, some are probably not too bright and will offend, and most are genuine and have asked for the customer's help. If avoiding MB will help, I'm more than willing to pitch in .......
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
RailroadJoe (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #154
Charlie T

Default It's civil here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
I would like to shop there also. But this thread has gone on, and on, and ON. And there seems to be a never ending supply of opinions, and speculation about a business that IMO will survive, or crash and burn despite what the Forum members think.
Chaselady I don't see what the problem with this thread is. There are diverse points of view that being expressed by many including yourself. No one is being anything but civil. A thread wouldn't be this long unless it related to us and our forum. If this needed to be shut down I'm sure the webmaster would do so. If you don't want to read it any longer no one is forcing you to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (08-05-2014), webmaster (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #155
Bigstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
Chaselady I don't see what the problem with this thread is. There are diverse points of view that being expressed by many including yourself. No one is being anything but civil. A thread wouldn't be this long unless it related to us and our forum. If this needed to be shut down I'm sure the webmaster would do so. If you don't want to read it any longer no one is forcing you to.
What Charlie said....

My loyalty has changed. My local MB had 3 girls in chairs by entrance #1, and 5 men by entrance #2. I drove past #1 as I normally park by #2, the fact there were 5 cars in the lot should have tipped me off. I kept driving slowly, trying to see if they were open or not. When I got to the end the guys by #2 stood up and looked at me, then waved. Not quite blocking the entrance, but right there on top of it......the store was dark at 8:30 on Saturday AM so I kept going.

There are side lots, they may have been open they may not have been. But employees boycotting @ the entrance is an intimidation thing....you dont intimidate me but I can see how you would others. I am close to saying fire them all, if the stores can open and you are stopping them then you should be blocked from the premesis and replaced.

Enough is enough.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigstan For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (10-09-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #156
RailroadJoe

I still shop at MB. I stopped there yesterday and talked to the people outside. I told them I have to get something they sell and no others do. I think it cost me a full $2.50 They are still very courteous and I think they are the winners no matter what happens. Good old Americans fighting for what they know is right. Too Bad Rusty.
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
tabascocat98 (08-08-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #157
Happy Gourmand

This is not at all about greed on the part on the employees. They are protesting to maintain their status quo. Artie S and company want to shift pay and benefits that are now available to employees to his own pocket. If Artie S is successful, Market Basket will be just another Super Market with high prices and minimum wage employees. (think Walmart). Market Basket is very unique in that they pay above average wages, maintain low prices and provide a great shopping experience. If you like Market Basket and want to continue to benefit from the low prices and the rest of the benefits, then you should think about supporting these loyal employees. They are putting their necks on the line for you as much as for anything or anybody else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
dave603 (08-05-2014), winnasake (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #158
dave603

Your right Phantom, but it is getting out of hand. there are three MBs in Nashua, one Hanaford and two Shaws.
With the MBs closed you can barley get into the Hanaford's store it's so crowded. I have not seen it like this since holiday shopping just before Thankgiving.

I stopped and ate lunch in the MB parking lot, and only saw one person go in and come out with anything at all, looked like one item. This has got to be killing the business.
Artie $, needs to get rid of his hate, and back out.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #159
MAXUM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here, but would be rather interesting.

So S now has control over the MB empire, clearly his philosophy is different and so long as he is calling the shots the "niche" or "advantage" MB has will eventually disappear and the future of the whole chain could be jeopardized. Plus no matter what the employees do, the one thing he cannot control is the customers.

T is certainly sitting on some serious personal wealth, and with his proven success, the way this situation has played out in the public arena, I would find it hard to believe that he's not contemplating the idea of pooling some investors together and starting up his own chain. With his track record, I'd certainly be an investor. I like his style, his discipline, his ideas of how to successfully run a business, keep it profitable AND take care of his employees. Heck the way things are looking, there will be ample space available when MB starts having to close stores. He also has a huge workforce that is ready and willing to work for him. Sure it stinks to start over, but at least there would no longer be any more family fighting, he could cash out what interest he has in MB sever the ties and go for it.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 AM   #160
patman

Quote:
Artie $, needs to get rid of his hate, and back out.
That makes sense from where you and I are sitting, but...this is a family feud, and ASD already went waaaaay out of his way to get rid of ATD. At the end of the day, it may simply boil down to not letting ATD win...and any chaos or collateral damage created as a result is completely irrelevant. It's not like ASD needs the money.

At this point I think it hinges on how far the other folks with controlling interests in MB are willing to follow ASD. We know at least one changed their position in the past (which is how ATD was ousted in the first place) and if they or others get tired of the effects, they could change alliances.

I just want MB back the way it was. A good store with good value and happy employees.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #161
dave603

What would happen if the the sisters or even one of them decide to get out and sell their shares to Artie T? wonder if that would be enough to get controlling shares and then just neuter Artie S?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #162
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
What would happen if the the sisters or even one of them decide to get out and sell their shares to Artie T? wonder if that would be enough to get controlling shares and then just neuter Artie S?
From what I read, Artie T holds 49.5% interest in the company now. He doesn't need much more to put him back in the driver's seat.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #163
Farfrumbehavin

It would only make sense to me that every one in the MB family can look up and see two very large birds circling overhead. Shaw's own's 155 stores with over 30,000 employees, Hannaford is owned by an American subsidiary of of the Belguim Delhaize Group, who owns 1,100 stores along the eastern seaboard and in 2013 sold 104 Sweetbay Supermarket locations in Fla. My guess is that they have some pretty deep pockets! One would think that the biggest loss so far in this story is the value of the company. It could be that ASD eventually entertains an offer from one of the big supermarket giants rather than to turn it over to his cousin! I'm sure the circling birds must have a number in thier head ! You don't even have to beat the competition, just let it beat itself. Many times the key to success is good timing. Just Sayin!
Old 08-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #164
dave603

I don't think any of the big companies would touch this with a ten foot pole. Without Artie T running it, it's like being elected the President of Iraq, really not worth the trouble your buying into.
The Following User Says Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
tabascocat98 (08-08-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:51 AM   #165
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfrumbehavin View Post
It would only make sense to me that every one in the MB family can look up and see two very large birds circling overhead. Shaw's own's 155 stores with over 30,000 employees, Hannaford is owned by an American subsidiary of of the Belguim Delhaize Group, who owns 1,100 stores along the eastern seaboard and in 2013 sold 104 Sweetbay Supermarket locations in Fla. My guess is that they have some pretty deep pockets! One would think that the biggest loss so far in this story is the value of the company. It could be that ASD eventually entertains an offer from one of the big supermarket giants rather than to turn it over to his cousin! I'm sure the circling birds must have a number in thier head ! Just Sayin!

For local competition, why touch MB? At this point why buy out the "competition" when it's internal strife is booming your business and it's not costing you a dime to benefit from it. If anything you can bet they are all cheering for this to never end anytime soon.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #166
fatlazyless

.....ok.....here's what's really important to me ...... was back to the Meredith Hannaford's yesterday and danged if they still was totally out of the 1.59 can of sliced peaches!!! omg !!!!....... and in my mind, I truly believe that Market Basket is responsible here .....and no I will not buy the 2.29 Delmonte sliced peaches ...... so's I made a very very tough decision and went with the 1.59 can of pear halves instead!

Here is my question: Why do canned pears come in halves but never in slices similar to sliced peaches........anybody?

...by the way....talking about local supermarkets....has anyone else noticed that Hannaford's seems to be better than the Plymouth Wal-Mart when it comes to price-quality-selection-convenience-check out...plus Hannaford's has the Laconia Daily Sun.

...the employee position of "meat cutter" does not exist at Wal-Marts in the United States as of the year 2000 due to a Wal-Mart labor dispute in Johnson City, Texas. They fired all the meat cutters as opposed to going union meat cutter, and designed a "packaged-frozen-shipped from East Jalopy, Iowa" packaged meats dept, and their hamburger is really pretty good, too, plus it comes in these unique tubular plastic packs like a big baloni except it is hamburger.

...I believe the State of Vermont has 3 Wal-Mart stores, while the State of New Hampshire has 32 Wal-Mart stores plus one Wal-Mart distribution-transport hub.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #167
mhtranger

What people are not seeing is the real-estate deal that is worth way more than the grocery store chain. Do you think Art S is worried? I don't.
On a side note ANYBODY seen Art T?? You think he would show his face to all of his supporters at the stores or the two big rallies.
I have a friend who is a driver for them and 3 children and 2 brothers who also work for MB. I know he and his brothers stand to lose a lot as drivers but must believe in what they are doing.
I am a supporter of this and my friends willingness to fight what they believe in and will not shop there till he returns.

Remember without truck drivers and warehouse workers this county would be at a standstill!!!
Just my .02
Old 08-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #168
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Here is my question: Why do canned pears come in halves but never in slices similar to sliced peaches........anybody?
They do come in slices as the below image illustrates:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Del-Monte-....5-Oz/10295160
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #169
SIKSUKR

Quote:
They do come in slices as the below image illustrates:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Del-Monte-....5-Oz/10295160
Thanks goodness we solved that huge problem.
ITD (08-05-2014), winnasake (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 12:19 PM   #170
dave603

Default Hanaford's Help

Interesting, I was wondering where they all came from all of a sudden. Just went to the Nashua store, there were three workers just going in, they said two are from NY stores and one was from Maine.
Both places with low MB footprints.

Makes sense, no sense hiring a bunch of locals only to let them go later.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #171
Farfrumbehavin

Quote:
For local competition, why touch MB? At this point why buy out the "competition" when it's internal strife is booming your business and it's not costing you a dime to benefit from it. If anything you can bet they are all cheering for this to never end anytime soon.
Why not buy it when value of the company is at an all time low, Operate as a MB and control the whole market. Eliminate the competition completely. You might think that no body would touch this with a ten foot pole, but where are you going shop when this is over? If ASD maintains control cuts employees beneifits and raises prices than what seperates MB from everyone else. At that point I'd go to the store that is the most convenient. I'm sure the competition is loving the effect it is having on thier business and I bet they would love to see it stay that way. But we know that's not going to happen. We can get by with a lot of things in life but canned peaches are a must! We will only be left with a few choices, no matter who owns the stores. ATD and ASD have become house hold names around here but like after any war, eventually every body will go back about their daily lives and grocery shopping is part of that. I guess I was thinking this is economics 101, and when the competitor goes into a wobble you move in for the kill. I doubt that these international companies are interested in local concerns. Just throwing something else out there!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #172
nhcatrider

T and his family own more of the real estate than S and his cronies. That being said, it was the root cause of all of this, S and his side feel that they are being cheated on that end. If the company does fold, they will both own empty stores. T has the experience, knowledge, skill and available work force to start over again. S has no idea how to run a grocery store, which is pretty obvious at this point.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #173
dave603

That's news to most of us I think.
How does T come to own most of the real estate?
I always thought most of the real estate was company owned? Not by T personally or his side of the family.
If true, then that does sort of put a different light on things, no wonder S would be mad.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #174
Rusty

SHAREHOLDERS ALIGNED WITH ARTHUR T. DEMOULAS
Ownership stake: 49.5 percent
The children of Telemachus Demoulas:
Arthur T. Demoulas
Frances D. Kettenbach
Glorianne D. Farnham
Caren D. Pasquale

SHAREHOLDERS ALIGNED WITH ARTHUR S. DEMOULAS
Ownership stake: 50.5 percent
The children of George Demoulas
Arthur S. Demoulas
Diana D. Merriam
Fotene J. Demoulas
Old 08-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #175
missedbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtranger View Post
What people are not seeing is the real-estate deal that is worth way more than the grocery store chain. Do you think Art S is worried? I don't.
On a side note ANYBODY seen Art T?? You think he would show his face to all of his supporters at the stores or the two big rallies.
I have a friend who is a driver for them and 3 children and 2 brothers who also work for MB. I know he and his brothers stand to lose a lot as drivers but must believe in what they are doing.
I am a supporter of this and my friends willingness to fight what they believe in and will not shop there till he returns.

Remember without truck drivers and warehouse workers this county would be at a standstill!!!
Just my .02
Very true but nothing happens without consumers
Old 08-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #176
secondcurve

Quote:

OK, now let me have it!

Rusty you confuse me. Somewhere in one of your past posts I recall you stating you were about as liberal as they come. I on the other hand am fairly conservative. You are against Market Basket labor as you note above. I on the other hand cannot be more supportive. How can a lefty not love Artie T, his position and what he means to these employees? Doesn't the left want the 1 percent to share their bounty, reinvest in their businesses and have good relations with labor? Isn't, that what is happening here? In spades? Why are you throwing in the towel on Market Basket labor and effectively pulling for the guy who is going to extract significant capital from the company via a massive dividend, likely raise prices on consumers and reduce benefits to labor? Isn't this what the left hates? I think Artie T and Market Basket represent capitalism at its best. Treat your employees fairly so they give their best, deliver a competitively priced product to the market and reinvest heavily back into the business. The result of this approach is you dominate the market as Artie T, his employees and Market Basket have shown. I am ok if it gets messy for a while and I have to shop somewhere else. You should be, too.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #177
dave603

Default OH Please

Don't turn this into a liberal vs conservative thing.
This is about a store most people in the area enjoy the way it was.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dave603 For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (08-05-2014), Rusty (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #178
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Rusty you confuse me. Somewhere in one of your past posts I recall you stating you were about as liberal as they come. I on the other hand am fairly conservative. You are against Market Basket labor as you note above. I on the other hand cannot be more supportive. How can a lefty not love Artie T, his position and what he means to these employees? Doesn't the left want the 1 percent to share their bounty, reinvest in their businesses and have good relations with labor? Isn't, that what is happening here? In spades? Why are you throwing in the towel on Market Basket labor and effectively pulling for the guy who is going to extract significant capital from the company via a massive dividend, likely raise prices on consumers and reduce benefits to labor? Isn't this what the left hates? I think Artie T and Market Basket represent capitalism at its best. Treat your employees fairly so they give their best, deliver a competitively priced product to the market and reinvest heavily back into the business. The result of this approach is you dominate the market as Artie T, his employees and Market Basket have shown. I am ok if it gets messy for a while and I have to shop somewhere else. You should be, too.
Just to be clear here, I am not against MB labor. I am against them yelling at people who want to shop there and this has got to stop!

They are acting like a bunch of children who can't get their way. They need to grow-up and get back to work and let the MB family resolve this one way or another.

Please leave politics out of this.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #179
secondcurve

Quote:
Just to be clear here, I am not against MB labor. I am against them yelling at people who want to shop there and this has got to stop!

They are acting like a bunch of children who can't get their way. They need to grow-up and get back to work and let the MB family resolve this one way or another.

Please leave politics out of this.
Interesting. It is the employees fault and they need to get back to work so the owners can solve the problem? And they yelled at some folks? Unfortunately, fighting for what you believe in is sometimes messy.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #180
ITD

I suppose if you really think about it the "scabs" are the customers who cross that line......
Old 08-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #181
CAVU

Where in this area is a market basket?? I once saw one in MA many years ago. I've never been to one personally, ever... It must down on the south side of the lake I usually go to EM Heaths or Harvest. I try to stay away from big business.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:46 PM   #182
Bigstan

Quote:
Interesting. It is the employees fault and they need to get back to work so the owners can solve the problem? And they yelled at some folks? Unfortunately, fighting for what you believe in is sometimes messy.
You nailed it (in a way), they now ARE the problem. So if they need to get back to work, the solution is to shut down the business based upon the bad things they say/think 'will' happen? Cant buy into that, sorry.

Enough emails and memos have been leaked - if there was a smoking gun that showed impending changes to employee pay / benefits / profit sharing / etc. that would have shown up by now. So I still dont buy into the premise here.....

'Fighting for what you believe in' is not acceptable if it stifles free enterprise or blocks me (or makes me feel like I need to provide a reason) from entering an establishment in order to make a purchase. Yelling at me if I do enter is just pathetic.

This is called impeding free enterprise. The company has been lenient and allowed protests to happen at their own front doors up until now. That needs to stop...and the only reason it would be allowed to continue would be they have written off the business and are waiting for the highest offer to shake itself out.

Who wins then?
Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #183
RailroadJoe

I was shoppng there last week for an item that I can only get there. The people out front were as nice as usual and I had a chat with them.. Today I have to go and load up on my candy (Skybars) that they carry. I will talk to the employees and even ask if I can get them something like chips or soda. I support them and only shop for one or two items. The rest I go and pay higher prices at Hannaford.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:23 AM   #184
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
I was shoppng there last week for an item that I can only get there. The people out front were as nice as usual and I had a chat with them.. Today I have to go and load up on my candy (Skybars) that they carry. I will talk to the employees and even ask if I can get them something like chips or soda. I support them and only shop for one or two items. The rest I go and pay higher prices at Hannaford.
Joe

I also went into a market basket recently and no one as much as looked at me crossed eyed. I don't think this behavior is widespread. The employees are too smart.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #185
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
You nailed it (in a way), they now ARE the problem. So if they need to get back to work, the solution is to shut down the business based upon the bad things they say/think 'will' happen? Cant buy into that, sorry.

Enough emails and memos have been leaked - if there was a smoking gun that showed impending changes to employee pay / benefits / profit sharing / etc. that would have shown up by now. So I still dont buy into the premise here.....

'Fighting for what you believe in' is not acceptable if it stifles free enterprise or blocks me (or makes me feel like I need to provide a reason) from entering an establishment in order to make a purchase. Yelling at me if I do enter is just pathetic.

This is called impeding free enterprise. The company has been lenient and allowed protests to happen at their own front doors up until now. That needs to stop...and the only reason it would be allowed to continue would be they have written off the business and are waiting for the highest offer to shake itself out.

Who wins then?
Stan: when you are taking massive dividends they must be paid for in some manner such as increased prices, reduced benefits and/or limited capital expenditures. This is a penny business and choices must be made. I agree that customers shouldn't be harassed and as I posted above I don't think this is happening in a meaningful way. I also don't think the employees are trying to close the business rather they are trying to drive it in a direction that is mutually beneficial for capital, labor and customers. Further, when a massive non unionized workforce pulls together with this much moxie they know exactly what the facts are. One of the owners has a black hat and one has a white hat. It is cut and dry.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #186
nhcatrider

Quote:
That's news to most of us I think.
How does T come to own most of the real estate?
I always thought most of the real estate was company owned? Not by T personally or his side of the family.
If true, then that does sort of put a different light on things, no wonder S would be mad.
If you look at tax records, some of the stores are owned by RMD, which is owned by Mike Kettenback Sr., who is T's brother in law. More are owned by a real estate company owned by T's wife. The grocery store does not own any of the buildings, they instead have long term leases on them.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #187
chipj29

Quote:
Stan: when you are taking massive dividends they must be paid for in some manner such as increased prices, reduced benefits and/or limited capital expenditures. This is a penny business and choices must be made. I agree that customers shouldn't be harassed and as I posted above I don't think this is happening in a meaningful way. I also don't think the employees are trying to close the business rather they are trying to drive it in a direction that is mutually beneficial for capital, labor and customers. Further, when a massive non unionized workforce pulls together with this much moxie they know exactly what the facts are. One of the owners has a black hat and one has a white hat. It is cut and dry.
I don't think so either. But I don't think the employees realize all the potential consequences for their actions.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #188
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcatrider View Post
If you look at tax records, some of the stores are owned by RMD, which is owned by Mike Kettenback Sr., who is T's brother in law. More are owned by a real estate company owned by T's wife. The grocery store does not own any of the buildings, they instead have long term leases on them.
There are many reasons why seperate entities would own the real estate.

The first may be taxes. The depreciation on the real estate can be used to offset the taxable income for the company. If the company is very profitable higher rents can be charged, the net income will decline, and the increase in property income can be offset by the depreciation, thus reducing your income tax liability.

Liability may be another reason. If someone sues it is better to have isolated your assets than put them all under one name.

Only the family knows why they structured it the way they did. And really, with a privately held company it is really none of our business!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #189
Bigstan

Quote:
You are making my point for me.

Are you saying the board came in one day and said lets take a $300m distribution, we can pay for it by raising prices?

Or did they say we have a huge amount of cash on the balance sheet, lets pocket some and we'll still have plenty left? You don't know the distribution schedule, this could have been planned for some time.

You don't know, and I don't know - but to say the only way to pay for a distribution is to raise prices or reduce spending/benefits is overly simplistic and not true. Companies accrue cash - at some point you do something with it.

Again - your theory is based on an assumption that cannot be proven. You assume prices will have to be raised, I see no reason why that is the only reasonable scenario.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #190
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcatrider View Post
. The grocery store does not own any of the buildings, they instead have long term leases on them.
That's not true they do own some of there buildings!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #191
dave603

Quote:
You are making my point for me.

Are you saying the board came in one day and said lets take a $300m distribution, we can pay for it by raising prices?

Or did they say we have a huge amount of cash on the balance sheet, lets pocket some and we'll still have plenty left? You don't know the distribution schedule, this could have been planned for some time.

You don't know, and I don't know - but to say the only way to pay for a distribution is to raise prices or reduce spending/benefits is overly simplistic and not true. Companies accrue cash - at some point you do something with it.

Again - your theory is based on an assumption that cannot be proven. You assume prices will have to be raised, I see no reason why that is the only reasonable scenario.
The problem with that is, that money was slated to open new stores, some that were being built and some already built. They didn't open them. check into the new building in Waltham Ma. it's built and not opened, and has been for some time, so it has nothing to do with the current situation, they took the money instead of opening the stores.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #192
Bigstan

Quote:
The problem with that is, that money was slated to open new stores, some that were being built and some already built. They didn't open them. check into the new building in Waltham Ma. it's built and not opened, and has been for some time, so it has nothing to do with the current situation, they took the money instead of opening the stores.
I can look out my window and see that building - it is far from ready. There are a thousand reasons that (and other) construction in the area have been slowed down or stopped. It took them two years to open a Panera down the road for similar reasons.

As for the developer of that site - they are proceeding regardless ( http://1265main.wordpress.com/ ).

In their current state they will not be moving in anywhere anytime soon, agreed. There are certainly contractual obligations involved and I am sure they will have to adhere to them. But if the status quo doesn't change you should not be worrying about new stores, you should be worrying about there being any stores.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #193
dpg

Quote:
I can look out my window and see that building - it is far from ready. There are a thousand reasons that (and other) construction in the area have been slowed down or stopped. It took them two years to open a Panera down the road for similar reasons.

As for the developer of that site - they are proceeding regardless ( http://1265main.wordpress.com/ ).

In their current state they will not be moving in anywhere anytime soon, agreed. There are certainly contractual obligations involved and I am sure they will have to adhere to them. But if the status quo doesn't change you should not be worrying about new stores, you should be worrying about there being any stores.
Waltham is no where near ready inside, I live 8 or 9 miles down the street. It's not sitting ready to open (yet.) Maybe I'm wrong but I've always heard late fall 2014. IF that's true it seems to be on track.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #194
dave603

Default What about this then!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...RJJ/story.html
Old 08-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #195
SIKSUKR

That pretty much says it all. What the heck is the BOD's mindset right now? What a mess.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #196
fatlazyless

Default ...new Plymouth NH Market Basket!

...just drove past the proposed MB site in Plymouth and saw Artie T and Artie S together, shaking hands and both holding up a large gold shovel together, posing for the camera, as they broke ground at the new Plymouth NH Market Basket ...... scheduled to open on Halloween-2015 ..... trick or treat!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #197
AB_Monterey

My understanding was that the company is debt free.

The AS side wants to take on debt to pay themselves hefty bonuses.

This is NOT a case of cash on hand that needs to be distributed.

That seems like a poor business decision to me. That debt will need to be repaid and that money will come from somewhere.

Last edited by AB_Monterey; 08-07-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #198
rsmlp

Default Mb

what I have not read here is obvious; let MB fail if they make bad decisions. let free markets work. if MB replaces their CEO with an unpopular replacement and store quality suffers, consumers will shop elsewhere and MB will suffer. let the system WORK!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #199
gus62

ASD may be a little preoccupied to deal with all this business stuff.
I have heard from a very reliable source that he was at the Tuftonboro town offices as recently as yesterday applying for a marriage license.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #200
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus62 View Post
ASD may be a little preoccupied to deal with all this business stuff.
I have heard from a very reliable source that he was at the Tuftonboro town offices as recently as yesterday applying for a marriage license.
That explains a lot, he must have needed his share of the $300 million payout for the dowry.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (08-07-2014), Newbiesaukee (08-07-2014)
Closed Thread