Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
CateP

Default Bathroom Remodel and Other Finish Work

Hi Everybody,
Starting to plan for new home projects and looking for recommendations for bathroom remodeler and somebody who could cover some foil-backed insulation panels that are currently "decorating" some basement walls. (not sure if it's a sheet rock job or something else).

The bathroom remodel is a partial job that would involved some floor tiling, new tub surround (wood), and maybe a new shower stall if we can figure out placement options.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
BrownstoneNorth

Default Walls

" somebody who could cover some foil-backed insulation panels that are currently "decorating" some basement walls. (not sure if it's a sheet rock job or something else)."

This is *exactly* what Dan Perkins (originally recommended by Grady) did for us so well and at such a reasonable price -- some kind of plywood instead of drywall, which we didn't want because messier and a bigger job. And he's right in Wolfeboro.

603 569-5728

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=9786
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
eric richard

Default bathroom remodel

hi CateP my name is Eric Richard owner of Eric's & Phil's Home Improvement LLC. I would be more then happy to meet you and go over your plans for your up going project and give you a free quote. I am fully insured and have good referrence to provide you with feel free to contact me at (603) 509-3880.

Thank you,
Eric Richard
eric richard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eric richard For This Useful Post:
CateP (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Hi Everybody,
Starting to plan for new home projects and looking for recommendations for bathroom remodeler and somebody who could cover some foil-backed insulation panels that are currently "decorating" some basement walls. (not sure if it's a sheet rock job or something else).

The bathroom remodel is a partial job that would involved some floor tiling, new tub surround (wood), and maybe a new shower stall if we can figure out placement options.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Hi Cate you picked a good time to start planning your projects. I would like to take a look at your projects. we just finished a basement remodel and the very first thing is to make sure is that there is no water leaks i would hope the home inspector look throughly into that for you, however basements in New England are well known for water. secondly we do on an average of 2-3 bathrooms a year and there is alot of planning that should be used on a bahtroom or kitchen remodel. it cost you nothing for us to come out and look at your projects, i take that back i do charge a cup of coffee. good luck and congratulations Shaun Yanuszewski owner Skys Carpentry on Lake Winnipesaukee
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sky's For This Useful Post:
CateP (03-02-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Kamper

When I was on "extended vacation" a couple years ago I was a weekend lead-generator for the local 'Re-Bath' franchise. Previous customers aproached me on the job and told me they were happy with the work. I am no longer affiliated with them but still have my info packet. Their website is www.rebathnh.com 603-625-0303. They are based out of Manchester but they work all over NH, sME and neMA.

They will do the bath area, or full bath remodeling. They will need to send an estimator but if you want to see their mockups, they have a showroom at 61 Elm Street in Manchester. IMO they are a little pricey (don't tell them I said that, I was supposed to say they were '"economical" for the quality') but they have a life-time warranty.

They used to have a rep that my wife thought looked like "Val Kilmer," but I digress...

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
KDL

Cate, ask your neighbors who they would use. Ask the local building inspector who he or she would use. Check with the local lumber yard or plumbing supply store. Chances are there are a lot of really good tradesmen right in your area. There is also a good chance that the good local guys don't have a need to advertise. Good luck and enjoy the project!
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KDL For This Useful Post:
CateP (03-05-2012), Reilly (03-04-2012), Winnisquamguy (03-04-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
nada

having been in the construction business for 20 years and now working at the solid waste facility for the town of wolfeboro ,i've learned a few things.

when the economy is good,everybody is a carpenter,roofer,etc

when the economy is bad,all those tradesmen that are steady through good and bad economies,are the people i would want to do my business with,and with that said this is my list

cincotta constuction

bryan stanley

wildwood home improvement

rizzo builders

headwall construction

greg shannon

i post these people because they stay busy when time's are good and bad.

this say's alot about these people as they all do great work no matter the economy
nada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nada For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-28-2012), CateP (03-09-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nada View Post
having been in the construction business for 20 years and now working at the solid waste facility for the town of wolfeboro ,i've learned a few things.

when the economy is bad,all those tradesmen that are steady through good and bad economies,are the people i would want to do my business with,and with that said this is my list

cincotta constuction

bryan stanley

rizzo builders

headwall construction

greg shannon

this say's alot about these people as they all do great work no matter the economy
I agree with nada on all of these. Excellent choices.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
CateP

Quote:

cincotta constuction

bryan stanley

rizzo builders

headwall construction

greg shannon

Thank you for these recommendations nada. Can you tell me how I would contact these folks? Feel free to send me a PM with that info if you are more comfortable.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Did you try 'googling' them?

Cate,

Most of these names can be 'googled' for contact information.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
GTO

Default design

Quote:

cincotta constuction

bryan stanley

rizzo builders

headwall construction

greg shannon

Can you tell me if any of these actually come up with design ideas. We need work done on our bathrooms but we need some ideas on how it will look on paper
Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can you tell me if any of these actually come up with design ideas. We need work done on our bathrooms but we need some ideas on how it will look on paper
Yes. I will report back on design, because I need that too before actual construction begins.
The Following User Says Thank You to CateP For This Useful Post:
GTO (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

There are contractors who will come up with design ideas.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
Marker42

Default bath remodel ect.

Hi Cate,

I am a contractor with no shortage of work because of our quality and buisness practices. I am not soliciting your work and not currently accepting new customers. That being said, one thing not to due is use a lead generating service. Go on a referals and reviewing of potential contractors work. A good contractor will not require a deposit until the job starts.(except for a partial on special order items). Have them verify any subs. have GL and comp. insurance, lead certification(prior 76 homes), in good standing with the state of NH.(see nh.gov site buisness listings). Make sure they run clean lettered vehicles and have good equipment. (this shows professionalism).

Tom
Marker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marker42 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (03-15-2012), CateP (03-15-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
CateP

Default Some lessons learned

Just want to give an update on the process of finding contractors. Some lessons learned already...
  • local people are great for recommendations (hardware store, paint store, anybody that has lived in an area for awhile)
  • great recommendations don't always pan out
  • some contractors care more about their reputations and tell you so
  • egos should be checked at the door
  • different contractors will rarely agree on how to approach a certain project
  • prices will vary on the same project (greatly sometimes)
  • hire somebody for a small inexpensive job first before letting them tackle the big ticket items
  • get everything in writing with details about exactly what will be done, cost and terms (no verbal quotes)
  • as a customer, being friendly and firm gets you farther than being confrontational
Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #16
hancoveguy

HI Cate,
I am currently at the beginning stage of a similar project in Mass. Gutting a second floor bathroom to the studs and starting over. As I am sure most of us today are, we are on a tight budget. Please continue to post things that you learn from your project such as the the previous post. I know our projects are separated by 100 miles or so but if I can take advantage of your experience I would like to.

Would love to hear of things you would do differently as you go along. Good experiences with contractors and bad. Good and bad choices in fixtures, flooring, etc..

Hope your project goes quickly and under budget...
HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marker42 View Post
Hi Cate,

I am a contractor with no shortage of work because of our quality and buisness practices. I am not soliciting your work and not currently accepting new customers. That being said, one thing not to due is use a lead generating service. Go on a referals and reviewing of potential contractors work. A good contractor will not require a deposit until the job starts.(except for a partial on special order items). Have them verify any subs. have GL and comp. insurance, lead certification(prior 76 homes), in good standing with the state of NH.(see nh.gov site buisness listings). Make sure they run clean lettered vehicles and have good equipment. (this shows professionalism).

Tom
i second that very good information.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #18
XJLPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marker42 View Post
Hi Cate,

Tom
RRP certification is required on all target homes built before 1978 , and if they dont have one and are disturbing more than 6 sqaure feet inside and 20 square feet outside at a target home the fines start @ $ 37,500. 00 per violation . ITS THE LAW .
XJLPS is offline   Reply With Quote