Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Tank151

Default New England Boat Show

Folks,

The New England Boat Show Commences this weekend in Boston. Please see link http://www.newenglandboatshow.com
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default New England Boat Show

We went to the boat show in Boston today. It was very well attended and compared to the show in 2010 there were twice as many boats.

I went specifically to look at R.I.B.'s for my wife but after viewing them up close she is not sure if that is what she wants.

I really love the looks of Ranger Tugs and Nordic Tugs but realize this is more of an ocean boat and really does not fit a purpose for island life on Winni... I don't think anyway!

Anyway, if you were thinking about going to the show, I highly recommend it. Great show this year compared to years past.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
NoRegrets (02-13-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
We went to the boat show in Boston today. It was very well attended and compared to the show in 2010 there were twice as many boats.

I went specifically to look at R.I.B.'s for my wife but after viewing them up close she is not sure if that is what she wants.

I really love the looks of Ranger Tugs and Nordic Tugs but realize this is more of an ocean boat and really does not fit a purpose for island life on Winni... I don't think anyway!

Anyway, if you were thinking about going to the show, I highly recommend it. Great show this year compared to years past.

Dan
Dan,

If you are looking for something small for her to get around in I saw another whaler rage 15 on eBay this morning, just like the one I had last year which you liked. It is the preferred 175hp version, located in Florida. I loved mine.

A few weeks ago I saw another great one, it was a 12' hard bottom with a poly collar around it, called the Boston whaler Impact 120. I loved it, had a tough time not pulling the trigger myself.

We may head down today, have to run to Bedford nh this morning then will probably go south.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (02-12-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
codeman671

Default Hit the show yesterday.

We went to the show yesterday, screaming kids in tow.

Check out the Floe Craft! What a great boat. We fell in love with it as soon as we saw it, but at $219k for a tricked out deck boat I think they will have a tough time getting people to bite.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Ms Molly McKever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank151 View Post
Folks,

The New England Boat Show Commences this weekend in Boston. Please see link http://www.newenglandboatshow.com
The boat show was very good, But a lot of kids running around.
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ms Molly McKever For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (02-14-2012), Electric man (02-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Molly McKever View Post
I know this has been talked about before. what is it with people who bring their brats out in public and let them run around unsupervised? My two boys would be taken aside reprimanded, and god help the person who commented if I slapped them on the ass.

That being said my boat is at the boat show being brokered. Lost interest in boating on Winni over the years. It is just getting to crowded to enjoy it. We are building a new lake front house in Rockwood Maine down the street from Moosehead lake on an adjoining lake.
AC2717 (02-15-2012)
Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
laketrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Molly McKever View Post
Yes true, also a few drunken patrons running around too.
The crowds on Saturday were rather lame- not many people from previous years. New boat prices are sky high $$
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
laketrout

Default 2012 New Boat Prices sky high

My wife and I were taken aback at new boat prices - My 2003 Four Winns new MSRP for 2012 is almost double that what I paid. I know there is a dealer discount off msrp but many dont. I kept hearing people at the Boston show say do you have any of this model used or left over. One Cobalt A25 was near $100K
a real nice boat but come on. I do not think my car has gone up 2x in 7 years in price. I guess the old saying " you wanna play you gotta pay" holds true.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Dave R

Quote:

Dan
I'm a big fan of Ranger Tugs. My wife and I fell in love with the R29 at the 2010 show. The boat has all kinds of clever design features that make it unique. Coincidentally, I bought my current boat (2000 Regal 2550 LSC) solely do to its unique and clever design features; imagine my surprise to discover my current boat and the Ranger Tug R29 were both designed by the same person...

The new Ranger Tug 31 is really impressive. It's a flybridge equipped, live-aboard, "fast trawler" that is also trailerable (with some caveats). Imagine having a boat that's (just) big enough for a couple to comfortably live aboard AND being able to hook it to a diesel pickup truck and tow it around the country. That's quite an accomplishment.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
ThePlut

Default Floe Craft

That Floe Craft was something else wasn't it. I highly recommend anyone going to the show to check it out. Very cool.

I worked there Saturday and Sunday. Foot traffic was ok, not crazy though, lots of lulls, and lots of unsupervised kids. One lost his cell phone in the boat, we wouldn't help him retrieve it until his parents came over to take responsibility. 45 minutes later, we managed to fish it out... Not sure the parents even cared. Unbelievable...

I will say though, that many of the people through the booth were buyers. Lots of very serious folks, and more in recent history that said, " we're going to buy a new boat this year and ... ".

Hopeful that the industry is starting to turn around a bit...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
laketrout

Default New boat sales

According to a couple of the salesman at the Boston Boat show , new boat sales were slow/low, they are hoping for better results. Used sales one said were another story with many smaller boats 22' and under moving. I still had new boat sticker shock and I currently own 2 boats. I can't imagine the younger family affording a brand new boat in this economy with the lakes region being hit hard as a resort area to boot. I just look at Melvin Village Marina now selling pontoon boats along side the slower moving Four Winns.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
sunsationdave

Default floe craft

WOW
Just looked up that floe craft 36 party boat
Awsome.Anyone know the name of the dealer selling it
not sure if i will make it to the show but very intrested it that craft

Thanks
sunsationdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsationdave View Post
WOW
Just looked up that floe craft 36 party boat
Awsome.Anyone know the name of the dealer selling it
not sure if i will make it to the show but very intrested it that craft

Thanks
It was Moose Landing Marina on Sebago. They have not fully agreed to take on the line, Floe and the dealer are still feeling each other out. They are not stocking them yet, special orders only so far.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
My wife and I were taken aback at new boat prices - My 2003 Four Winns new MSRP for 2012 is almost double that what I paid. I know there is a dealer discount off msrp but many dont. I kept hearing people at the Boston show say do you have any of this model used or left over. One Cobalt A25 was near $100K
a real nice boat but come on. I do not think my car has gone up 2x in 7 years in price. I guess the old saying " you wanna play you gotta pay" holds true.
Boats are one item I'd never buy new anyway. The initial depreciation outpaces the wear factor significantly, especially on a freshwater lake.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
sunsationdave

Default floe craft

Thanks codeman671
Just might have to order one with captians call exhaust
I will ltry to see if a deal on the one at the show is possible
think i will be going to the show know just to see it
Real nice boat for winnie pricey thought
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
It was Moose Landing Marina on Sebago. They have not fully agreed to take on the line, Floe and the dealer are still feeling each other out. They are not stocking them yet, special orders only so far.
Moose Landing Marina is actually located on Brandy Pond (connected to Sebago via the Songo River and a set of locks) in Naples, Maine. They have a large operation right on Rte 302 near the Causeway. They do operate a satellite operation at Point Sebago Resort but I don't believe they run a sales operation there.

Edit: MLM already represents the Floe line of aluminum docks (I own one). If I don't miss my guess one of the YouTube videos on the FC34 was filmed on Brandy Pond and Sebago.

BT
Old 02-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #17
hancoveguy

Default Floecraft

We were impressed with the Floecraft as well. I think the one at the show had twin 350 mags. Thats a big boat for just gas motors, hate to be buying the gas for it...

Also, the salesman said they are developing another version that is more of a live aboard than the current day boat version.

Its alot of cash for essentially a 2 month extension to the boating season.. A heater is available but the guy said that even without a heater, once you close up the power roof and the doors etc, it will heat up fast the same way a green house would.

Still a tall order...
HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #18
ishoot308

The Floe Craft also has a bottom similar to a deck boat. Not sure this would give the best of rides in a heavy chop. Cool looking however!

Dan
NoBozo (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Moose Landing Marina is actually located on Brandy Pond (connected to Sebago via the Songo River and a set of locks) in Naples, Maine.

BT
It's all Sebago to me... I haven't spent much time up there. My wife went to college at St. Jo's but we met when she was leaving.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
codeman671

Quote:
The Floe Craft also has a bottom similar to a deck boat. Not sure this would give the best of rides in a heavy chop. Cool looking however!

Dan
I pushed the rep on the same topic. He said that it was not very good on the big stuff, and compared it to a premier pontoon as being a similar ride. He said he has 2 premiers himself.

Being that I have a premier my opinion is totally opposite. The premier rides great in rough water, not sure what he was talking about there. I have used mine in some hideous stuff and it does well. I don't think it rides as well as the manitou did but not far from it.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
Blue Thunder

Quote:
It's all Sebago to me... I haven't spent much time up there. My wife went to college at St. Jo's but we met when she was leaving.
Just trying to define it a bit in case someone like Sunsation Dave wants to grab his wallet and take a ride
Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #22
Blue Thunder

Quote:
I pushed the rep on the same topic. He said that it was not very good on the big stuff, and compared it to a premier pontoon as being a similar ride. He said he has 2 premiers himself.

Being that I have a premier my opinion is totally opposite. The premier rides great in rough water, not sure what he was talking about there. I have used mine in some hideous stuff and it does well. I don't think it rides as well as the manitou did but not far from it.
IIRC, one of the YouTube videos that I looked at said it had catamaran style pontoons. I'm not a pontoon style type of guy but that FC34 looks like a sweet ride.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
sunsationdave

Default fc boat

As soon as that boat is in water sebago or winni i will be
test driving it . was looking for something just like that / house boat
or a loaded 3 toon pontoon boat with upper deck
going to the show to see it saturday
Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsationdave View Post
As soon as that boat is in water sebago or winni i will be
test driving it . was looking for something just like that / house boat
or a loaded 3 toon pontoon boat with upper deck
going to the show to see it saturday
Based on my conversation with the sales rep from Moose Landing, they were not going to them to start. The rep from Floe took my name and number down in case they got a demo on the lake. I have a feeling with the positive feedback they should be getting they will send one out this way.

I cant find any others for sale on other dealer sites, nor any used ones in existence.

Since my kids were on the go, I did not get a chance to determine what that $219k tag included- single or twins, genset or not, etc. If it is a single/no genset at that price I would think it would be a tough sell compared to cruisers available.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #25
MooseisLoose

Default Floe Craft

I would like to thank everyone for the great comments on the boat. This is Moose Landing Marina.

Everything said here so far is true. This was an "experiment" so to speak for us to see how the line would do. We currently sell Floe's line of roll in docks and boat lifts. So far, the response to the boat has been tremendous. We have a few really great prospects and a ton of possible buyers.

The boat truly is like no other. You will not find a used one, nor will you find another one. We are in the very early stages with the build of the boats, however, they are not a new builder, just a new design. The boats are being built in Minnesota by a very reputable yacht manufacturer and are built using very state of the art techiniques. The boat at the show is equipped with Twin 350 Mags and Axius Joystick. That boat however, even at 36' still tops out at 50+ and only weighs 10K lbs.

The hull is something a little different. Floe calls it an inverted V design. Most of you may recognize it as a shallow(er) catamaran design which is basically what it is. The ride is much different than expected out of a 36' boat. At anchor the boat is extremely stable as expected, however at speed, there is almost zero bow rise and the boat handles like a sportboat. As some of you have seen in the video, it will bank through a pretty sharp turn at speed and with a SINGLE 350 Mag will easy tow a skiier.

There was a recent boat built with a sinigle 8.2L Merc 425 and with 26 people on board and a tail wind the boat reached 42mph. Incredible for this size boat.

Please if you are interested in seeing the boat at the show, feel free to call the marina at 207-693-6264. We would be happy to arrange a showing here at the show. I ask that only truly interested customers call, we do pay for tickets, they are not free.

As for service, just to ease some minds, we offer a very large service department that is open 7 days a week and to service our customers we have put a mobile service unit on the road 7 days a week. We can be at the lake in a few hours to address most any problems.

Thanks for your interest in the floecraft, we truly appreciate all the great press it has been receiving.
MooseisLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
ishoot308

Quote:

I would have a hard time believing it takes chop as good as your Premier or any decent tri-toon for that matter. The hull just does not seem to allow for that.

Dan
NoBozo (02-15-2012)
Old 02-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #27
sunsationdave

Default FC boat

I would say at 219k
It should have sb twins ac/heat gen set a loaded 35 formula is 350k
my 31 is 190k So a 36 with the options I would buy one if they make it under 200k with twin sb. just looked at the 34 online . I really like this type of boat . hope to see one local to demo.
I wish winni would have a cove to overnight in lake lake george. that 36 is a small house boat sorta
Old 02-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #28
MooseisLoose

At 219,900 the boat comes with a single 350 MAG MPI B3. If you want the boat at the show, with full electronics, axius joystick, and twin 350 Mag Sea Cores, as well as a few other extras, you are looking at 285,000.00

The FloeCraft will seat a lot more people than a formula with the added fuel economy and a smaller intial investment.

Its all relative though, that formula 350 is a much different boat than the floecraft and the boat was not built to compete with that type of boat. No other boat on the market can offer the space of our boat.
MooseisLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #29
sunsationdave

Default f c 36

I was just using the price of a formula to see where it falls with the Fc36
it is a nice concept boat priced right they will sell trying to make it to the show saturday to see it in person and price one out with the options i will want .
Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #30
NoBozo

Default Floe Craft 36

I think the boat must have Fore AND Aft Thrusters (Maybe retractable) to handle at the dock with a joystick. NOPE: See Axius below. NB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7q9ezfbic

EDIT: Axius Control: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSG-QCIO1gg

Last edited by NoBozo; 02-15-2012 at 04:16 PM.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #31
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Tomorrow!

9 AM train out of Dover, and then the T over to the show...at 1. Might have to do an early lunch first.

Not looking for any deals because we got the new Mariah last year, but there's always the accessories and stuff.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #32
hancoveguy

Def do an early lunch... One slice of pizza and a water = $10.50

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hancoveguy For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (02-16-2012)