Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2016, 05:13 AM   #1
ApS

Default West Lake Chinese Restaurant

West Lake Chinese Restaurant, north of Wolfeboro, is under new management. Old lake-friends make occasional pilgrimages there every summer.

Any reviews of the new West Lake Chinese Restaurant for this season?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
West Lake Chinese Restaurant, north of Wolfeboro, is under new management. Old lake-friends make occasional pilgrimages there every summer.

Any reviews of the new West Lake Chinese Restaurant for this season?

Not open yet. Still cleaning out the old for the new.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acrossamerica For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-03-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
Karenw

Default West lake

They are now open
They are advertising Chinese, Japenese and Sushi bar!
Karenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I heard they opened Monday. Someone I know had lunch takeout there today and said it was delicious.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
gokart-mozart

Default Sushi at West Lake

I had sushi for lunch there today - Miso soup, Nigiri: Maguro, Unagi, Ebi, and an Alaska maki.

Not bad. Not Moritomo (Concord), but not bad. The sushi rice wasn't quite right, too flat - good sushi rice has just a little bit of the rice vinegar flavor, and is just a little more sticky that theirs - but given that it's 40 miles to Concord and the fancy stuff at Lemongrass isn't really basic Nigiri sushi, I'd call it a win.

The redo of the dining room looks really nice - the sushi bar and the drinks bar cover two or the four walls, they've done a nice job. Servers are not completely up to speed, but they're just getting going.

For Wolfeboro: A great addition.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gokart-mozart For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-30-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
cheffy1354

Default Westlake was terrible

My wife and I always go to seabird all the time but I heard about this Westlake opening so we decided to give it a try. When we got there it took the girl almost ten minutes for the waitress to acknowledge us and there was only one other party it's because she was to busy talking with someone out back. She ordered a pu pu platter and chicken fried rice and chicken dumplings when the pu pu platter came out I really wanted to just send it back and leave then the chicken fried rice took another five minutes to get to table, the food on the pu pu platter was all out of a box from the freezer it was not homemade at all .They have nothing on the seabird at all. We were so disappointed and will never go there again.
cheffy1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #7
gokart-mozart

Default West Lake vs. Seabird

I haven't tried Chinese food at the New West Lake, I posted a sushi review above.

But, the happy customer overlap between the Old West Lake and Seabird was near zero. They served different food, for a different clientele. Seabird has a very traditional American Chinese food style, they would have been good in the 1950s. Old West Lake was more contemporary, although the menu got a little tired.

I will try Chinese at New West Lake soon and report back. I wasn't impressed with the service either, hope it's growing pains.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #8
Karenw

Default West lake

We enjoyed a delicious dinner the other night. Service was VERY attentive!
Karenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #9
ultrarider

Default West Lake New Owners vs. Old owners

We ordered take out at the "new West Lake" father's day, and was very disappointed. We called in 1 -1/2 hrs before we were to pick up, and still had to wait 1/2 hr for it to be ready. The price was outrages over $105.00 to feed 5 people, and the amount of food package was barely enough. The food was blah, and most likely filled with MSG. We used to dine at the old West lake weekly, and knew the owners well. The food was awesome, and abundant as Chinese food is to be expected. We will not go back to the " New West lake"
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:30 AM   #10
ApS

Smile Give 'Em Time...

We went last Sunday and immediately noticed that the air-conditioning was broken! We shrugged to each another, and waited for our presence to be noticed. Our presence wasn't acknowledged for a few minutes, while take-out orders took preference.

A short time later, a burning rubber (belt?) smell signaled that the air conditioning had been fixed, although the sunroom-type entryway door remained open. That we could see, there were only two who composed the entire wait staff. (Note to self: Be sure to close the menu when ready to order)

We were pleased that the wait staff had a competent understanding of the English language; previously, we had to point to the items on the menu!

The previous owners were present for a short time, but not apparently "at work".

Our customary orders of General Tso's Chicken and Hunan Chicken took somewhat longer than usual to bring to the table. I noted that the volume of orange slices was about the same as the chicken on the plate! "Presentation" trumped entrée; however, we didn't leave hungry.

Somewhat "spiced-up", I asked how "the hot" had been made. The consensus agreed that more ginger had been added.

Service came with a smile and they were anxious to see that we had everything we needed. We'll go back, but give them a few weeks to get in some practice.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #11
gokart-mozart

I'm at West Lake right now trying to pick up a take out order, placed 75 minutes ago on line (convenient)!

There are two staff, and they have totally lost control of the front end. There are 20 people in a line out the door trying to give their names, a number have left in disgust after waiting 15+ minutes to be noticed. I've also observed a few seared parties getting up and leaving because they've been sitting un-noticed for too long.

The on line service gives you a printout but I've not been able to get either of the two staff to acknowledge the order or to tell me if/when it will be ready. Both staff have quite limited fluency in English.

The New West Lake is not having a good night, at least not at 7:30 on 7/8. Not a very good sign, I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to gokart-mozart For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #12
gokart-mozart

Default New West Lake

Four groups waiting for takeout >1 hour just left. We report, you decide.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #13
gokart-mozart

Default More West Lake

OK, here's the coup de grace: ordered on line 80 minutes ago, told four times over the past half hour "almost ready", "ten minutes", etc.

Now turns out they don't have the order, no one was working on it, and if they took it now it would be 90 minutes.

Out...of...control.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #14
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
OK, here's the coup de grace: ordered on line 80 minutes ago, told four times over the past half hour "almost ready", "ten minutes", etc.

Now turns out they don't have the order, no one was working on it, and if they took it now it would be 90 minutes.

Out...of...control.
Sounds like they may be going out of business, too! Yikes. Too bad.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #15
Patiently Watching

Long time West Lake customers.
We have been twice in the past month - once okay, the other was terrible.
Will not be going back.
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:21 PM   #16
gokart-mozart

Not sure I would go back after tonight, either.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:04 AM   #17
secondcurve

Quote:
Not sure I would go back after tonight, either.
Did you ever get your order or did you leave? If you got the order how was the Food?

Thanks

Last edited by secondcurve; 07-09-2016 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #18
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
I'm at West Lake right now trying to pick up a take out order, placed 75 minutes ago on line (convenient)!

There are two staff, and they have totally lost control of the front end. There are 20 people in a line out the door trying to give their names, a number have left in disgust after waiting 15+ minutes to be noticed. I've also observed a few seared parties getting up and leaving because they've been sitting un-noticed for too long.

The on line service gives you a printout but I've not been able to get either of the two staff to acknowledge the order or to tell me if/when it will be ready. Both staff have quite limited fluency in English.

The New West Lake is not having a good night, at least not at 7:30 on 7/8. Not a very good sign, I think.
When ordering online, do you pay online, or pay when you get there?

I live here... I am always Upthesaukee.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #19
ultrarider

It's not the same as it used to be with the past owners. I miss them. The way it's operated now I won't go back, and I doubt if it will be in business come fall. JMO
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #20
ApS

Smile No Lines, No Waiting...

We're long-time customers at West Lake Restaurant, and went back to "test the waters". Arriving at 6:15, Sunday, we noticed there was plenty of parking available.

There's a staff of three now!

The busiest was the chef behind the bar. Japanese cuisine? Dunno.

Takeout was especially busy, and the booths filled up after we were seated.

Otherwise, our usual meals were the same good flavor as before the new management took over. Perhaps the helpings were a bit smaller.

This is your reporter, Aps, reporting from Wolfeboro.