Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Mike_VT

Default Kona Bay

Looking at the potential purchase of a home on Kona bay, based on bizers it looks like the area is shallow, I see docks in the area on google earth pics, but they seem to extend pretty far. Can anyone help me with some details on the depths etc. The location is the welch island side. thank you, mike
Mike_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
DesertDweller

Are you talking about Kona Bay Road? If so, I am right off of it and we have a shared dock. If the place is on Kona Bay Road the cove is called Senter Cove and yes it is shallow. Probably no more than 10 feet or so in the middle if I had to guess. The shoreline is likewise shallow and yes, most of the docks stick out pretty far to compensate for that. The good thing is that it is sandy in most of the sections I am familiar with as is most of that area around the Kona Mansion. Very gradual drop off which is great for swimming. Most of the bigger boats are tied off at the ends of there docks. Smaller boats are fine tieing off closer to shore.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

I'm familiar with places where there is a nice, sandy bottom that goes out a ways, and one or two houses away, the bottom is rocky and/or steep. Depends on your needs for swimming, boating, etc. How big a boat will you have? What sort of dock is there already? (Rhetorical questions.) Many people like to talk to the next door neighbors before buying a house. Good practice, I think.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Mike_VT

Must be the place I am talking about. The realtor said it was a shared 80' dock. it seem like the dock is right in the back yard of the home. Have you been at your location for a long time. how does the "sharing" arrangement work? Does there seem to be any issue etc. thanks
Old 05-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #5
MBNeckguy

Default Kona Bay

I kept my boat (simple 21’ bow rider) at a friends dock in Centers Cove for a number of years. August / Sept where always tough months, we had to push the boat out 50’ or so before we could travel under power. A few times we where beached for weeks at a time during very low lake level periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by MBNeckguy; 05-09-2018 at 06:46 AM.
MBNeckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
MikeF-NH

I've rented a place on Caitlin Shores Drive in the bay several times. It reminds me of the shoreline in Melvin village with a shallow/gradual slope from 2 feet to 5 feet that goes out a few hundred feet but its always navigable under power you just get off plane further out. The dock only goes out less than 50 feet and there is plenty of water under my boat each time I was there. I will be there again next week!!!!!
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #7
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_VT View Post
Must be the place I am talking about. The realtor said it was a shared 80' dock. it seem like the dock is right in the back yard of the home. Have you been at your location for a long time. how does the "sharing" arrangement work? Does there seem to be any issue etc. thanks
How can the dock go out 80'? I thought the state only allowed 40' docks on the lake?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:58 AM   #8
Mike_VT

No clue on the dock length. It just seem like there are too many unknowns with the property. I going to look at it, but probably not going to be the "right" place for us. thanks to everyone that has provided input.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:53 AM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I'm on a 60 ft dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
How can the dock go out 80'? I thought the state only allowed 40' docks on the lake?
My friend bought a property in Alton Bay, and the water is quite shallow. He hired a surveyor to do the permitting for his dock. His boat is 26 ft bowrider.

In order to have enough water to enjoy his boat required a 60ft dock, which was approved. The state was very specific on the placement of the dock, 25 ft from his east property line and maintaining that perspective for the length of the dock.

Water depth at the end of the dock is approximately 5 ft at full lake. (And cold as of the last weekend last month) 😁

Dave