Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
lobstadanca

Default Fish swimming upside down

I was out paddle boarding when I spotted a foot long fish "swimming" upside down. I knew this was a bad sign. I used my paddle to turn him upright in hopes he/she would make it. I was shocked to see it had a huge chunk out of its top and knew that the end was near. I suspect a turtle took a bite out of it. I felt helpless and to make matters worse, I spotted its "mate" swimming a few feet away. I wish I could have done something... feeling bad.
lobstadanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
8gv

Everybody's gotta eat something...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #3
Misha888

Default I have buried . . .

more fish than I care to think about. Typically, I leave them on the rock wall hoping a snapper or mink take it away but after a certain point it needs to fertilize the soil before it gets stinky.

Had a 14" Bass just hovering under the boat last week. One fin missing, white "fungus" growing on it's tail, lip and missing fin.

I'm good that the water is taking its time to slow. Between oil and fertilizer the lake is getting less clear every year.

This is a carp we buried last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstadanca View Post
I was out paddle boarding when I spotted a foot long fish "swimming" upside down. I knew this was a bad sign. I used my paddle to turn him upright in hopes he/she would make it. I was shocked to see it had a huge chunk out of its top and knew that the end was near. I suspect a turtle took a bite out of it. I felt helpless and to make matters worse, I spotted its "mate" swimming a few feet away. I wish I could have done something... feeling bad.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha888 View Post
Between oil and fertilizer the lake is getting less clear every year.
I seem to recall data supporting the opposite from 70s to now. Do you have any data? Not trying to be wise, genuinely want to know.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Misha888

Default I don't need . . .

data that is skewed by science and the hope of getting that big grant. Science based on real life experience from my time (12 years) and the hubs experience of 48 years at the same location.

Experienced Tahoe's effect back in the early 90's and early 2000's. The less oil, the less detrimental effect. Not sayin' I'm not part of the problem but . . . we all are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
I seem to recall data supporting the opposite from 70s to now. Do you have any data? Not trying to be wise, genuinely want to know.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #6
ITD

There are many eagles and other predatory birds flying around the lake now, chances are the op's fish won the battle and got away from being a meal only to later lose the war due to damage. The carp in the other picture looks like it died of old age.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
glennsteely

Default Carp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha888 View Post
more fish than i care to think about. Typically, i leave them on the rock wall hoping a snapper or mink take it away but after a certain point it needs to fertilize the soil before it gets stinky.

Had a 14" bass just hovering under the boat last week. One fin missing, white "fungus" growing on it's tail, lip and missing fin.

I'm good that the water is taking its time to slow. Between oil and fertilizer the lake is getting less clear every year.

This is a carp we buried last year.
is that a carp or a sucker?
Old 06-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
Misha888

Default I've never known . . .

a Sucker. Only have experience with Carp. But after reading up on them, apparently it is a Sucker. Livin', Learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsteely View Post
is that a carp or a sucker?