Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Water Log: On the Lake

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...dd84e384c.html

"Much of our time is spent not enforcing boating laws or helping people, but refereeing people who can't get along." - Capt. Tim Dunleavy

In case you are wondering: "Where is the Marine Patrol?"
Flylady (08-06-2018), KPW (08-06-2018), moose tracks (08-07-2018), Phantom (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
Donzi Minx

Smile Water Log: On the Lake

Stayed mainly on the south side of the lake yesterday. I have no idea what chaos prevails on the 4th, but yesterday was intense.

As a visible entity as they are I did not see MP once. Expected to see some presence by the Dive over at West Alton, but did not. May have to plan some personal days during the week.

Can you say o-v-e-r-c-r-o-u-d-e-d, sure, I'll bet you can. Still can't get enough of it though!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I agree, Donzi. We used to see MP every day. I haven't seen them for at least three weeks.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #4
Phantom

I mentioned that in another thread a few week ago.

On weekends, MP use to have a boat ALWAYS hovering either the mouth of the Weirs Channel or at FL#2 ( Eagle Isl.). Haven't seen a one all season.

Spent the last 10 days vacationing/ teaching my grand daughter navigation & driving in all conditions (including busy Meredith Bay on a Saturday/Sunday), what we call "sporty" conditions in the broads, dealing with all the sailboats departing/returning to Fayes, etc.

Over that period, I think we logged something close to 20 engine hours ……….. and saw MAYBE 3 MP boats the entire period.

There is a definite change in MP patrolling practices this Season ---

and to add another note -- it is sad that there is no MP VHF monitoring at the new MP facility in Glendale …… raising a patrol boat via VHF is virtually impossible unless you are lucky enough to catch them idling somewhere -- This past weekend I listened to Tow Boat Us hailing them for 10 minutes as he was heading to a "reported" capsized boat ( fortunately was not the case in the end) …… I miss Mighty Mo !!

Old 08-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
Hillcountry

I guess I don’t understand his (Capt) statement...are there so many “people that can’t get along” on the lake that it inhibits the MP’s ability to enforce the laws of the state of NH? That sounds like a giant cop out...pun intended!
And it’s true, we barely ever see them patrolling as we see infraction after infraction happening each time we go out...PS: I tried to read the article but the damned advertisements turned me off quickly.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
tis

Well, I guess it's not just this side of the lake then. I thought maybe they were concentrating more over at the Weirs area. Where are they? Are they even out in the boats anymore unless they are called? Do they have a new philosophy?
Old 08-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #7
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Well, I guess it's not just this side of the lake then. I thought maybe they were concentrating more over at the Weirs area. Where are they? Are they even out in the boats anymore unless they are called? Do they have a new philosophy?
Nope...we valet out of the Wiers. No sign of MP but we don’t boat on weekends, usually.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
KPW

I see them in the Barber Pole (northern end of the lake) at least once or twice a weekend.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #9
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

I’ve been out about 13,14 times this season and the only time I had seen the MP was the week of July 4th

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

There does seem to be a reduced Marine Patrol presence on the lake the last couple of years. The violations seem to be increasing but my thought is that many people just don't know the rules. An increased Marine Patrol presence would be good, if only from an educational purpose.

I am on the lake a minimum of 4 days a week for commercial purposes and many other days for personal use. In total, between 250 and 350 hours a season. This year, I have seen at least triple the number of blatant violations that I have seen in previous years. Yesterday, at about 10 AM, a jet ski at 30 to 40 MPH came from under the Weirs Bridge out of the no wake zone and directly in front of boats entering the Channel.

The number of boaters who either don't know, or don't care, seems to be increasing. I would welcome an increase in the number of patrols. I would hope that they would concentrate on safety violations and worry a lot less about the people rafting or anchored on a sandbar.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (08-09-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #11
loonguy

I see them occasionally coming and going from Lee's Mill in Moultonborough.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
NHskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
There does seem to be a reduced Marine Patrol presence on the lake the last couple of years. The violations seem to be increasing but my thought is that many people just don't know the rules. An increased Marine Patrol presence would be good, if only from an educational purpose.
If I recall correctly, some 5-6(?) years ago the Marine Patrol had their budget cut significantly, which resulted in reduced staffing including patrol officers. Since that time there has been a noticeably lighter presence. (We've been boating on the lake for about 12 years.)

Here's a thread from 2013 that gets into some of the revenue source discussion. I don't know how things ended up.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #13
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskier View Post
If I recall correctly, some 5-6(?) years ago the Marine Patrol had their budget cut significantly, which resulted in reduced staffing including patrol officers. Since that time there has been a noticeably lighter presence. (We've been boating on the lake for about 12 years.)

Here's a thread from 2013 that gets into some of the revenue source discussion. I don't know how things ended up.

I agree. I also have been on the lake for 12 years and this season I have only seen the MP on holidays, I have yet to see them during the week or non holiday weekends

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:09 AM   #14
Cal Coon

Why all the concern about "seeing" MP? I don't get that. I don't miss them when I don't see them, but I know they are ALWAYS out there somewhere, (and I see them more often than not). They're out there, and they're not going anywhere. No worries.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Hmmmm

We have seen the MP going past where we dock the boat in Alton Bay, down in the bay, and out at our favorite anchoring spot.

I tend to think of the MP like other LEO's; I may not see them but if I were to violate the rules, there is a high probability that they will be watching me. Call me paranoid, but...

Dave
Old 08-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #16
ApS

Question Invisible in Plain Sight? They're All In "Sensitivity-Training Class"?

Quote:
The Non-Wal-Mart side?

But you're right: I may see the NHMP perhaps once a week. (Maybe less!)

Maybe they're saving money now and patrolling in pontoon boats?

Old 08-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #17
billy

I see them going out from Glendale daily. They must be hiding behind the islands with their surveillance equipment.

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:38 AM   #18
Donzi Minx

Smile Water Log: On the Lake

Jeeeez, I didn't know that.
Do you think that includes the db meter?
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #19
codeman671

Granted we boat out of Glendale, but we see MP all the time on the lake. Lots of presence around the Weirs and towards Meredith during the evenings, as we boat down to Meredith often for dinner. Lots of stops noted after dark as well. We always see a few stops between Meredith and the Weirs/Eagle.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #20
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
The Non-Wal-Mart side?

But you're right: I may see the NHMP perhaps once a week. (Maybe less!)

Maybe they're saving money now and patrolling in pontoon boats?

And I used to see them every day, didn't you, APS? That's what I want to know, why things have changed.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #21
Cal Coon

Quote:
And I used to see them every day, didn't you, APS? That's what I want to know, why things have changed.
If you're that worried about it, call them and ask, or, STOP THEM the next time you see them (on the water) and ask them what's changed, and report back to us on here so this thread can end. Remember, they work for us, shouldn't be a problem to get some answers... Good luck.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #22
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
If you're that worried about it, call them and ask, or, STOP THEM the next time you see them (on the water) and ask them what's changed, and report back to us on here so this thread can end. Remember, they work for us, shouldn't be a problem to get some answers... Good luck.
I'm not "that worried about it", just curious. For 35 years I have seen them at least once a day, but this summer, hardly at all. If you don't like the thread, don't read it. The rest of us seem to enjoy wondering.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (08-11-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #23
Cal Coon

Quote:
I'm not "that worried about it", just curious. For 35 years I have seen them at least once a day, but this summer, hardly at all. If you don't like the thread, don't read it. The rest of us seem to enjoy wondering.
It's not that I don't "like" the thread, it's just that it doesn't make sense to me to "wonder" about something that you could EASILY find out about, but yet, no one takes the initiative to pick up the phone and/or stop them out on the water to simply ask what's going on. Why is that? That's what I "wonder" about...
Old 08-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #24
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

And you guys all drive down the highway wondering why you don't see enough Troopers? Nah. We're all doing 75-80. Imagine a 150 foot rule on the roads!!
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote