Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Chillin & Grillin

Default Homeowners insurance on an island

We constructed an addition on our island camp this summer resulting in cancellation by our current homeowners insurance carrier because the cost of the structure now exceeds their underwriting criteria for an island property. Does anyone have an insurance company or agent that they can recommend for island property? Thanks.

Last edited by Chillin & Grillin; 08-27-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: s
Chillin & Grillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
AC2717

Default Agents

There has been some previous threads on insurance for island dwellings, check it out, I am in the business but we do not write on the islands or NH for that matter, a lot of good agents were mentioned in the previous threads
Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Island-Ho

Default Phenix Mutual

I use Phenix Mutual Fire Insurance Co. for my island property. See http://www.phenixmutual.com/
There are lots of local agents and I think the home office is in Concord. I can't comment on their claim service since I have had none.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
hazelnut

Thumbs up Avery

Not sure who you had but we use Avery Insurance out of Wolfeboro. We've never had a problem with them.

http://www.averyinsurance.net/
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Pine Island Guy

Default local independent agency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin & Grillin View Post
We constructed an addition on our island camp this summer resulting in cancellation by our current homeowners insurance carrier because the cost of the structure now exceeds their underwriting criteria for an island property. Does anyone have an insurance company or agent that they can recommend for island property? Thanks.
I've found Marsha at Munsey and Brazil very pleasant to deal with and they do both my island property and my cars -

Munsey & Brazil
55 Church St, Laconia, NH 03246

(603) 524-2425
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Audiofn

You may get lucky with Amica
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
kjbathe

Thumbs up A second vote for Munsey & Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Island Guy View Post
I've found Marsha at Munsey and Brazil very pleasant to deal with and they do both my island property and my cars -

Munsey & Brazil
55 Church St, Laconia, NH 03246

(603) 524-2425
I've been with Munsey & Brazil for over 20 years and Marsha has our boat, auto, condo and homeowner policies. As an independent agent they can get you the appropriate coverage from the best company for your needs. Recommended.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
Mr. Moyer

Default If you use Avery it could be trouble

I purchased a property on Rattlesnake 1 1/2 yrs ago and found it difficult to find an insurance company to cover our property. My realtor gave us the number for Avery, specifically Peg Clifton. Our house was robbed on May 30th, and cleaned out, fridge tools etc.
I contacted Avery Immediately, and they gave me the typical, we'll send someone out etc. The appraisor met me at our dock, and took a list of what was missing along with the pages upon pages of replacement items. (around $11,000 in total value) The games began, as the gentleman, never even came out to the house to photograph or look at the property. needless to say, I didn't hear from them for 2 months, despite numerous calls. I reached out to Peg to see what was going on, and she said it was normal activity. Since we were renovating the property, and needed tools (table saw, Chop saw, and hand tools), we replaced them, but held off on the other non-necessities, fridge, couches, kayak, chairs. By this time it was August. We went through our first summer of lake ownership essentially camping at a cottage, with no appliances, really roughing it. Not exactly what my wife had envisioned. Mid-August Avery denied the claim, since it was the previous owner who had robbed us. Any person who has dealt with insurance companies can attest that they will find any loophole possible to back out of paying. When I again contacted them I asked for a call back to discuss the situation, no response. I am still awaiting that call. I to this day, have not missed a homeowners/ or insurance payment.
This was the homeowners portion of the insurance, but still same company. If I could get away with it legally, within my mortgagae, I would have no insurance and save the money each month. Good luck with your search, but to be frank, I think most are very similar, since then many times sell to the same underwriters. They are all about the premium, but not paying out.
Mr. Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
eyenotall777

Default ?

If you know it was the previous owner who robbed you for a fact, why not take them to court or place a lien on their other properties. Just a thought.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
Blue Thunder

Default link...

Here is the link to this discussion from last year when Webbsatwinni was looking for the same thing. A lot of good info there.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...surance+island

Blue Thunder
Old 08-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
codeman671

We have recently switched to Hanover Insurance (Portsmouth Atlantic Insurance Agency) and found that they were cheaper than anyone else around with better coverage. They were considerably better than my renewal rate through Farm Family.

If anyone needs a quote, tell Jon that Jason sent you. He likes to track his referrals.

603-431-4020
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
Mr. Moyer

eyenotall777,

I have to say it was probably the most frustrating experience of my life and I just wanted to move on from the experience. The cost to take this individual to court in a civil case would have rivaled the actual lose and dragged the experience for another couple of years. He had done it twice before and was sued both times. Dragged the cases out for 2 or more years and cost each of the other victims even more money and time. The mistake I made was including the Alton PD in on the collection of the items. First they acted like Barney Fife for 3 months, then screwed my case up the the county prosecutor due to their poor questioning. Once they were involved I couldn't do a thing on my own, for fear of being arrested or sued myself. Next time, if it ever happens again, on any of my properties, I'll go into the perps house swinging a big stick and asking questions later. Live and learn. It seems sometimes that the laws are only around to protect the guilty.
Mr. Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I feel for you,Mr Moyer,but that's exactly how insurance companies operate.They brag about their service and promise rapid and fair claims ......some ads show homeowners receiving a check before the police even leave the scene. Yuh ! Right! The reality is that they employ professional adjustors who's job is to debunk,deny and delay.....any tactics at all to get you to settle for less....or just give up.
Had a few claims in business,one was pretty large,the result of a sprinkler system going off accidentally.One Beacon was the company.....we'd paid them over 12k annually for many years and they did EVERYTHING to try and deny and then diminish the claim.They offered less than half of what local contractors quoted us.I didn't mind because we have a lawyer and got it settled.But what about the average Joe who wrecks his car,has no transportation and they drag it out so long he becomes desperate and settles for next to nothing.Happens all the time and that is the reason that I have such disrespect for insurance companies.....they are predators and bottom feeders because they take advantage of people when they are the most vulnerable.
Guess I am starting to rant.....sorry. Oh,this is not directed at the local independant agencies,they mean well and give good service.It is their masters in Chicago and New York that I'm speaking of.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
Webbsatwinni

Default And now the increase

The link that Blue Thunder posted started when were buying our property last year and we ended up with Allstate. Fast forward a year and we are at renewal time and received a call stating that the premium was going up by over 50% annually.

The reason, it is a class 10 property (it was last year as well) and it has been tough year for insurance companies as a whole.

Now the search starts again for us.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
The link that Blue Thunder posted started when were buying our property last year and we ended up with Allstate. Fast forward a year and we are at renewal time and received a call stating that the premium was going up by over 50% annually.

The reason, it is a class 10 property (it was last year as well) and it has been tough year for insurance companies as a whole.

Now the search starts again for us.
George, check my post above about Portsmouth Atlantic. This is who we switched to. Tell him I sent you.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #16
Webbsatwinni

Codeman,

I did and sent that post to my wife to call today, thanks!
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
Island-Ho

Default Recommendations

What we need are recommendations based on claim history/service, not the lowest premium. If you are paying a low premium that probably reflects a lower amount paid in claims. This can be due to several factors, including assumed risk, but is probably based on their ability and success to deny your claim. I have a long history of excellent claim settlement with AMICA, both on vehicle and homeowners insurance. Unfortunately they probably won't insure you if you are on an island unless you can drive there.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #18
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho View Post
What we need are recommendations based on claim history/service, not the lowest premium. If you are paying a low premium that probably reflects a lower amount paid in claims. This can be due to several factors, including assumed risk, but is probably based on their ability and success to deny your claim. I have a long history of excellent claim settlement with AMICA, both on vehicle and homeowners insurance. Unfortunately they probably won't insure you if you are on an island unless you can drive there.
Based on what you stated above, having plenty of past claims no matter what the outcome will drive your rates up. I have never made a homeowners claim, no boating claims and minimal car claims. As you are probably aware, insurance companies use a risk rating system similar to a credit score that is directly related to your tier.

Not having past claims, I really can't comment on who gives better service in times of need.