Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2017, 07:37 AM   #1
baygo

Default Extra heating oil?

Our oil furnace had a tough winter and we've decided to replace it with a split duct system. We forgot to discontinue the auto delivery and therefor have a full 275 gallon tank. Dose anyone know of anybody who can take care of this?
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

That's unfortunate. You paid a lot of money for that oil and now you're probably going to have to pay someone to take it away. You might try asking some heavy equipment contractors. They usually have portable tank trucks to fill their heavy equipment and could probably use it in their machines. I wish I had a pump truck.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #3
KPW

I would contact the oil company.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
ITD

Offer it to a neighbor, a five gallon container and 55 trips later........
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Overlake97

Default Solved similar problem with oil for tank removal swap

We switched from Oil to Propane a few years back and were faced with a similar situation. Ended up making a deal with someone who removed both of the oil tanks in exchange for taking the leftover oil (can't recall how much, but less than 250 gallons). I remember he backed up his truck, snaked a pipe into the basement, and drained out all the oil. Can't recall who did it, but I could find out.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
We switched from Oil to Propane a few years back and were faced with a similar situation. Ended up making a deal with someone who removed both of the oil tanks in exchange for taking the leftover oil (can't recall how much, but less than 250 gallons). I remember he backed up his truck, snaked a pipe into the basement, and drained out all the oil. Can't recall who did it, but I could find out.
I'd like to keep the tank and may a pig roaster out of it.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
I'd like to keep the tank and may a pig roaster out of it.
Nothing like #2 oil smoked pig.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #8
Kamper

I had about 50+ gallons when I switched to natural gas. I drew it out myself so I knew it was clean. I had it in my old boat tanks and some gas jugs. The first guy I offered it to was practically drooling at the prospect of free fuel but never showed up.

The 2nd guy was a friend of my brother and supposedly short on cash. He took the first load but didn't bring my jugs back for two weeks. Never showed up for the second and last batch.

It ended up up at the dump in their multi-fuel tank they use for heating and recycling.

My suggestion is, if you can't get your supplier to recover it or find a machinery operator to take it on, keep listing it on Craigslist. "Bring your own bottle" until it's eventually gone. Also get the word out to your friends and relatives and maybe your pastor.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #9
DickR

Back in the early-mid 90s I had a buried oil tank I wanted to get rid of before I became a superfund site. The tank removal company wanted to charge for oil removal, calling the old oil hazardous material to be disposed of. I called the town, and they came, pumped out practically all the oil for use in heating either the highway dept. garage or the building at the dump. I excavated around the near empty tank by hand, and the eventual tank removal came in pretty cheap.

"Old" heating oil and engine oil is used easily as fuel, after filtering. At the town dump, they have a setup for collecting used engine oil, even from filters. Free disposal opportunity!
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #10
Meredith_Resident

Oil company should be able to do a pump out/credit. It's low priority for them though so expect a wait.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-21-2017, 04:53 AM   #11
fatlazyless

Put it for sale on craigslist. Someone will show up with a pickup truck with one or two empty 55-gallon drums, setting vertical in the truck bed, and a small electric pump hooked up to a garden hose. New Hampshire is loaded with oil home heat users, and there will be no shortage of guys looking for a heating oil bargain ......paying a lower price.... guaranteed .....you will be able to pick and chose who seems to be a good, responsible craigslist buyer person....who wants to pump it up and out from the screw thread, large plug opening, atop the tank.....good luck!

It can actually be done with an el cheapo drill pump attached to a plug in, electric drill, in line with a garden hose to tranfer the oil from tank to drum in back of pickup truck. People will be happy to pay a greatly reduced price for your oil bargain. It's easy to do the pump out without spilling one drop.......just have a rag handy for the tail end of the transfer.....when the hose gets removed from the now loaded 55-gal drum. Selling oil cheap is like selling gold cheap.....plenty of customers on craigslist. Heating oil is relatively safe for a do-it-yourselfer to pump out what's left in a 275-gal tank.....because it is combustible, but not flammable......not so easy to ignite........ just make sure there's no oil spillage.

Do I sound like I have ever done this? And, is this legal to do in New Hampshire?

It seems like it is one of those things that is legal to do in New Hampshire, but is not legal in Massachusetts......sort of like fireworks.

On second thought, maybe it's best just to give it away for free to a local car repair garage, or town dpw...who can use it for heating.....and have them come pump it out of your tank.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-21-2017 at 09:09 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #12
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Put it for sale on craigslist. Someone will show up with a pickup truck with one or two empty 55-gallon drums, setting vertical in the truck bed, and a small electric pump hooked up to a garden hose. New Hampshire is loaded with oil home heat users, and there will be no shortage of guys looking for a heating oil bargain ......paying a lower price.... guaranteed .....you will be able to pick and chose who seems to be a good, responsible craigslist buyer person....who wants to pump it up and out from the screw thread, large plug opening, atop the tank.....good luck!

It can actually be done with an el cheapo drill pump attached to a plug in, electric drill, in line with a garden hose to tranfer the oil from tank to drum in back of pickup truck. People will be happy to pay a greatly reduced price for your oil bargain. It's easy to do the pump out without spilling one drop.......just have a rag handy for the tail end of the transfer.....when the hose gets removed from the now loaded 55-gal drum. Selling oil cheap is like selling gold cheap.....plenty of customers on craigslist. Heating oil is relatively safe for a do-it-yourselfer to pump out what's left in a 275-gal tank.....because it is combustible, but not flammable......not so easy to ignite........ just make sure there's no oil spillage.

Do I sound like I have ever done this? And, is this legal to do in New Hampshire?

It seems like it is one of those things that is legal to do in New Hampshire, but is not legal in Massachusetts......sort of like fireworks.

On second thought, maybe it's best just to give it away for free to a local car repair garage, or town dpw...who can use it for heating.....and have them come pump it out of your tank.
I don't know about NH but in Ma you have to have a permit to legally transport a large amount petroleum product over the roads.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #13
nhcatrider

Anything over 115 gallons requires placards and a hazmat endorsement on your license. Plus it has to be transported in an approved container. If you use 5 gallon containers you can have a maximum of 4. That's per the DOT cop I asked when I was at the scales this morning.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote