Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
onlywinni

Default What Speed Limit ????????

I had an interesting conversation with an old timer yesterday. He approached my wife and I at one of the public docks. He says I have seen you and that Beautiful Baja out on the lake every weekend this summer so can I ask you a question. He says today is the unofficial end of the boating season, so how was the first summer with a speed limit?

-So I told him to be honest, I have not boated any differently this year than the past 10 years. I always boat safely and responsibly; however when in open areas of the lake and all alone, I lay on the throttle and use my boat.

-My wife and I also told him we see people ignoring the speed limit everytime we go out..In fact I told him while skipping across the broads at a good clip not 20 minutes prior there was a Silly Fast Boat that passed us about 700' off the port side doing at least low 80s

-He then says to us WHAT SPEED LIMIT....he tells us that he lives on the Broads and sits on his dock and watches people shatter the day time speed limit all day and every day.

So it begs the question?

A. Have the Marine Patrol decided to allow speeding in open areas of the lake when it is not a danger to anyone

or

B. Does the MP just not have the resources to enforce the speed limit

or

C. Does the MP purposely not devote resources to speed limit enforcement as they dont see speeding as a major problem
Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Turtle Boy

Are we talking about the same lake? We live in an channel but wide enough so there's not a NWZ. The boats used to tear through here at all sorts of ungodly speeds (including last year at $4.50/gal). And the sound was deafening. This year I may have seen an occasional boat possibly going faster than 45 MPH in this part of the lake but the difference is like night and day. And putting the safety issue aside (unlikely to ever be agreement there), people who have come here comment on how much more quiet the lake is...it's great. A select few should not be allowed to ruin the lake experience for everybody. I would be very much reluctant to give up these hard fought gains we've achieved for Winni.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
woodynh

Default I have seen the opposite guess it depends on where you are on the lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
Are we talking about the same lake? We live in an channel but wide enough so there's not a NWZ. The boats used to tear through here at all sorts of ungodly speeds (including last year at $4.50/gal). And the sound was deafening. This year I may have seen an occasional boat possibly going faster than 45 MPH in this part of the lake but the difference is like night and day. And putting the safety issue aside (unlikely to ever be agreement there), people who have come here comment on how much more quiet the lake is...it's great. A select few should not be allowed to ruin the lake experience for everybody. I would be very much reluctant to give up these hard fought gains we've achieved for Winni.
I live in bay that basically if the MP's aren't there then you can't be caught and there is only one way in and you can see them coming. Seems this year there has been more very fast watercrafts especially. I figured that they were afraid of getting caught speeding on the open lake so they duck in this bay to play and speed. I don't remember so many at these fast speeds in previous years but maybe.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
elchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlywinni View Post
I have not boated any differently this year than the past 10 years... when in open areas of the lake and all alone, I lay on the throttle ...we see people ignoring the speed limit everytime we go out... he lives on the Broads and sits on his dock and watches people shatter the day time speed limit all day and every day.
Assuming you are telling us the truth, what's all the whoop then? If the speed limit is not negatively impacting the speeders, but the rest of society thinks it is working so well, why not just pacify us and let us have our "useless unenforceable feel-good law"? Don't give us that nonsense that you are just trying to keep our statutes pure of unnecessary laws. There are hundreds of more useless, less enforceable, and better-feeling laws on our books that would be the first targets of someone just looking to clean up the statutes. That one does not pass the sniff test. If, for argument's sake only, it is true that the MP has "decided to allow speeding in open areas of the lake when it is not a danger to anyone", "does not have the resources to enforce the speed limit", and "purposely does not devote resources to speed limit enforcement as they don't see speeding as a major problem", then it appears we are all happy with the status quo...you think the law is not negatively impacting anyone or costing any money or energy, and we think it is working just ducky. Everyone is happy. SO WHY ALL THE BIG NEED TO SUNSET IT??

Nice day out there today. And I was in the Broads and did not see a single boat that even approached 45 mph. Which Broads were you talking about? Sometimes I wonder if you guys are just making stuff up.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Angry Are you one of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
but the rest of society thinks it is working so well,
Nice day out there today. And I was in the Broads and did not see a single boat that even approached 45 mph. Which Broads were you talking about? Sometimes I wonder if you guys are just making stuff up.
Seems like 'society' is made up of only a handfull of you. Where are the rest? Give us a list of names!

I have already send a list of over 100 landowners that don't want the 25 mph speed limit at night because of wake erosion. Perhaps you should ask the bill sponsor why he so 'conveniently' says, 'We have to start somewhere' instead of addressing our concerns.

My parents live on the Broads. I see boats traveling at the speed of light every day, all day! I'm just concerned of the lack of MPO's on the lake this year due to budget cuts and buying laser guns and spending precious time training!

I am a native of NH. I am a true Republican. The state was fine until the Democrats took over. There is even talk about removing the state motto!

Last edited by BroadHopper; 09-08-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
OCDACTIVE

I think it all just depends on where you are looking. I have seen days when people are tearing around and some that aren't.

For all the made up stuff I have read on these forums someone should really get a patent on it!!!
BroadHopper (09-08-2009)
Old 09-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
Kracken

Talking

I know this question is probably patented but...

Did you ever notice the SUN (el sol) and the MOON (tortuga) never appear on the forum at the same time?

Ah maybe its la luna
The Following User Says Thank You to Kracken For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (09-08-2009)
Old 09-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
onlywinni

FYI...I am not Walt Disney my first post is not Fiction!!!!!!

However if you want to believe I am full of it and no one has exceeded the speed limit on the lake all year that is your right.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
hazelnut

Quote:
Assuming you are telling us the truth, what's all the whoop then? If the speed limit is not negatively impacting the speeders, but the rest of society thinks it is working so well, why not just pacify us and let us have our "useless unenforceable feel-good law"? Don't give us that nonsense that you are just trying to keep our statutes pure of unnecessary laws. There are hundreds of more useless, less enforceable, and better-feeling laws on our books that would be the first targets of someone just looking to clean up the statutes. That one does not pass the sniff test. If, for argument's sake only, it is true that the MP has "decided to allow speeding in open areas of the lake when it is not a danger to anyone", "does not have the resources to enforce the speed limit", and "purposely does not devote resources to speed limit enforcement as they don't see speeding as a major problem", then it appears we are all happy with the status quo...you think the law is not negatively impacting anyone or costing any money or energy, and we think it is working just ducky. Everyone is happy. SO WHY ALL THE BIG NEED TO SUNSET IT??

Once again elchase posts things he has deluded himself into believing. The argument is tiresome. You keep your head in the bag of sand and the rest of us will continue to fight for real change on the lake that will address the problems that actually exist. Spare us the painting of the perfect lake picture that does not exist. Seriously though it is fun to read your posts. You sound like the Iraqi information minister during the war. Everyone remember Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf affectionately known as "Baghdad Bob?" "There are no Bombs, the Americans are being defeated." Or in this case "The lake is a wonderfully safe place with no bad drivers." "The war is over we have won the safety war."

When the dust settles at least we all had a laugh right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
colt17 (09-09-2009), Resident 2B (09-10-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
pm203

Quote:
Let me know what channel so I can fix that for you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pm203 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-10-2009), Martha Marlee (09-11-2009), OCDACTIVE (09-10-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
VtSteve

Quote:
I'll try this again.......

Have you discussed this year's lack of noise and speeders with BI? He posted not long ago that there are so many boats and some PWC's that go full throttle through the Bear Island NWZ that he thought it would be burdensome to call the MP every time it happened.

We discussed the BI NWZ at length last year, because I was bewildered as to why the MP wouldn't park near such an obvious violation zone. So maybe BI can give you a heads up as to how many "a select few" is.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
Let me know what channel so I can fix that for you.
No way chump! Lovin' things the way they are.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
pm203

Quote:
Chump? You really should choose your words much more wisely. There are alot of names I would like to refer to you as, but do not, to keep it civil. Smarten up!
The Following User Says Thank You to pm203 For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (09-10-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Chump? You really should choose your words much more wisely. There are alot of names I would like to refer to you as, but do not, to keep it civil. Smarten up!
I agree, lets keep it civil.. I am sure it was just a little razzing... but keep in mind when you post online people don't always know your "tone"... That's what the smiley faces are for.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #15
Airwaves

Originally posted by TurtleBoy
Quote:
We live in an channel but wide enough so there's not a NWZ. The boats used to tear through here at all sorts of ungodly speeds (including last year at $4.50/gal). And the sound was deafening. This year I may have seen an occasional boat possibly going faster than 45 MPH in this part of the lake but the difference is like night and day. And putting the safety issue aside (unlikely to ever be agreement there), people who have come here comment on how much more quiet the lake is...it's great. A select few should not be allowed to ruin the lake experience for everybody. I would be very much reluctant to give up these hard fought gains we've achieved for Winni.
So you live in a part of the lake that SOUND is an issue? This is why you support a speed limit because NOISE is an issue? Then be truthful and support a law that allows High Performance boats to legally use sound dampeners...switchable exhaust is currently illegal in NH!

Originally posted by VtSteve
Quote:
Have you discussed this year's lack of noise and speeders with BI? He posted not long ago that there are so many boats and some PWC's that go full throttle through the Bear Island NWZ that he thought it would be burdensome to call the MP every time it happened.
I made it a point to go throught BI's channel this year to see what he was complaining about. I saw Mama Bear on the dock and BI up on the deck but as far as boats violating the NWZ? I personally witnesses several large boats coming up to the NW sign, each and every one dropped to headway speed when they arrived at the NWZ sign as required by law.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
Pineedles

Quote:
Ok, now you have done it, I don't feel real strong one way or the other about the speed limit even though I have expressed a Libertarian view of the issue, but name calling will close you guys down. I talked with Don during the FF on the Mt. Washington and he was thinking of closing this thread. I think the only reason he hasn't is because people are being civil. I haven't been following everyone's comments thread by thread, but this is the first example of a mild name calling i have seen.

I am certainly not an example of a perfect member, as per some really stupid posts of mine in the past, but I enjoy a good debate and hope that both sides can continue to post their opinions, particularly this important issue. Don't let this issue die, because of uncivil posts. Cheers!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #17
elchase

Quote:
You really should choose your words much more wisely. There are alot of names I would like to refer to you as, but do not, to keep it civil. Smarten up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
name calling will close you guys down... Don't let this issue die, because of uncivil posts. Cheers!
How hypocritical. You guys badger, bully, insult, and name-call in every thread. That's ok so long as you are doing it, but someone responds to one of your "uncivil" threats with a comparatively gentle retort and you get all puffy. When you do it you call it "razzing". When we do it you call it "name calling". Grow up. Look at the post Turtle was responding to if you want to talk about "uncivil". Turtle says it is nice and quiet in the channel in front of his home and PM replies "Let me know what channel so I can fix that for you." That was civil? If you guys cared about being civil, you should have jumped all over him for that inappropriate comment. Or is harassing those with different views by threatening to head over to their home and torment them ok with you as long as nobody calls anyone a name? I'm called "la luna" and worse, but that's just "razzing" and when I make light of the "Thunderclub" I am accused of violating the forum rules. You guys really need to thicken up or else stick to the "opposer's thread" or offshoreonly where nobody is going to disagree with you. It's apparent that the moderator here is not going to let you flaunt the rules at your pleasure and then try to enforce them when it suits.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Turtle Boy (09-11-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #18
pm203

My post was intended to be funny, and I have never called anyone any names. And maybe Turtle Boy's response was an attempt at humor as well. You, however, are the one always looking to stir the pot. Your view's and opinions are not shared by the majority on this site. If we started a poll on whether Elchase stays or goes on this forum, I'm afraid it would be bye-bye for you. You need to lighten up a bit and stop your whining. You have your precious speed limit, and you feel safe and can enjoy the quiet, all by yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to pm203 For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (09-11-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #19
BroadHopper

Quote:
Then you don't need a speed limit!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #20
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Then you don't need a speed limit!
Don't get it??? The speed limiit is why I'm lovin' it.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #21
OCDACTIVE

just my 2 cents... Nothing personal but lets call this what is actually is please... EL has done nothing but stir the pot time and time again. When directed at him or Turtle boy he crys foul. When a completely civil and productive conversation takes place he jumps in and trys to curve the conversation to get people into a tizzy.

These tactics were done before by others if you read back in the threads to try to disrupt and ultimately get the threads shut down. Those individuals that were very strong in their convictions for some reason have disappeared this time around, but suddenly there is EL who claims to be a person who has sat on the sidelines all those years now wants to be the leading advocat.

After reading many posts and just using common sense it is personally hard to believe.

I feel that in many of these threads we have made progress. We have determined that many people have issues on the lake and would like to have them dicussed and ultimately addressed. Please continue to discuss these in a civil manner and do not get dragged down the wrong path. That will only lead to these being shut down which is some posters true intentions.
NoRegrets (09-11-2009)
Old 09-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #22
pm203

Quote:
Don't get it??? The speed limiit is why I'm lovin' it.
There may be a speed limit on paper, but in reality, it doesn't exist any more than 65 MPH does on 93.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #23
Shreddy

Quote:
How hypocritical. You guys badger, bully, insult, and name-call in every thread. That's ok so long as you are doing it, but someone responds to one of your "uncivil" threats with a comparatively gentle retort and you get all puffy. When you do it you call it "razzing". When we do it you call it "name calling". Grow up. Look at the post Turtle was responding to if you want to talk about "uncivil". Turtle says it is nice and quiet in the channel in front of his home and PM replies "Let me know what channel so I can fix that for you." That was civil? If you guys cared about being civil, you should have jumped all over him for that inappropriate comment. Or is harassing those with different views by threatening to head over to their home and torment them ok with you as long as nobody calls anyone a name? I'm called "la luna" and worse, but that's just "razzing" and when I make light of the "Thunderclub" I am accused of violating the forum rules. You guys really need to thicken up or else stick to the "opposer's thread" or offshoreonly where nobody is going to disagree with you. It's apparent that the moderator here is not going to let you flaunt the rules at your pleasure and then try to enforce them when it suits.
As much as I do not agree with elchase as much as the rest of you, this post is very true. You guys are getting your panties in a bunch over a "chump" comment. I made a post a week or so ago that had an acronymn (deserving)in it with a smiley face next to it, however, now when I post it doesn't post automatically (moderator has to review it to be posted). So, apparently I am being reprimanded for it.

I agree to keep the forum classy, however, pm's first response was clearly just humor. Turtle's response back (the "chump" response) also came off as humor to me. Brush it off, it's the internet.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #24
Bear Islander

Quote:
There may be a speed limit on paper, but in reality, it doesn't exist any more than 65 MPH does on 93.
So you think there is no speed limit on Rt93? Are you serious?

Yes, I know, you can go 5 or 10mph over the limit on Rt93 all the time and never get stopped. Try going 25 or 30mph over the limit and then tell me about it. By the way, give the Judge my best, you will be seeing him soon.

And that 65 number will suddenly be very important as they subtract it from your recorded speed to calculate your fine. And it is my understanding that if you are caught 15mph or more over the limit then court is required, you can't send in the fine.

There IS a speed limit on 93 and on Winnipesaukee.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #25
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
So you think there is no speed limit on Rt93? Are you serious?

Yes, I know, you can go 5 or 10mph over the limit on Rt93 all the time and never get stopped. Try going 25 or 30mph over the limit and then tell me about it. By the way, give the Judge my best, you will be seeing him soon.

And that 65 number will suddenly be very important as they subtract it from your recorded speed to calculate your fine. And it is my understanding that if you are caught 15mph or more over the limit then court is required, you can't send in the fine.

There IS a speed limit on 93 and on Winnipesaukee.
BI... I think you are reading into the post.. I think what he was saying is that the limit isn't set in stone and you will see people traveling over the given speed limit as you do on 93. Obviously blatent offenders will be pulled over as would someone operating a boat recklessly for the conditions on Lake Winni whether there is a speed limit or not.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #26
pm203

There are many people that do 90+ on 93 and do not get caught. Of course, you can't do it all the time, or you will get caught. As far as the lake, I don't mind crusing at 45- 50 ish, but, once in a while, if that is exceeded, chances are there will be no repercussions. I already have my compromise.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #27
Turtle Boy

Quote:
There are many people that do 90+ on 93 and do not get caught. Of course, you can't do it all the time, or you will get caught. As far as the lake, I don't mind crusing at 45- 50 ish, but, once in a while, if that is exceeded, chances are there will be no repercussions. I already have my compromise.
So you make a good argument that we don't need a compromise (except 45/25 was the compromise, 45 MPH being very fast). You also make a good argument for lowering 45 to 40.As we saw from a post about the GFBL pulled over one evening 2 weeks ago, eventually you'll get caught, and the expense and trouble will indeed slow you down in the future.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #28
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I'll try this again.......

We discussed the BI NWZ at length last year, because I was bewildered as to why the MP wouldn't park near such an obvious violation zone. So maybe BI can give you a heads up as to how many "a select few" is.
People are still going through the NWZ at cruising speeds. It happens every day but I can't give you numbers. The Marine Patrol hang out "around the corner" quite often and do boat stops. Sometimes they get people going through at high speed but mostly they are stopping boats that are going a little to fast to be considered "no wake".

They also regularly stop multiple PWCs outside the NWZ, I assume for being to close together. I guess there is a common belief that PWCs traveling together don't need to stay 150' apart. The MP explain this error.

All in all things were a lot quieter this summer. I like to think the SL is a big part of that but who can say? I do think the SL is at least a little part of the improvement.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #29
VtSteve

Quote:
People are still going through the NWZ at cruising speeds. It happens every day but I can't give you numbers. The Marine Patrol hang out "around the corner" quite often and do boat stops. Sometimes they get people going through at high speed but mostly they are stopping boats that are going a little to fast to be considered "no wake".

They also regularly stop multiple PWCs outside the NWZ, I assume for being to close together. I guess there is a common belief that PWCs traveling together don't need to stay 150' apart. The MP explain this error.

All in all things were a lot quieter this summer. I like to think the SL is a big part of that but who can say? I do think the SL is at least a little part of the improvement.
I'm sure you caught heck for your last post, which seemed more like a Cowboy Mentality to me. It's far more beneficial for everyone involved in these "discussions" if people didn't feel such pressure to stick to one side or another. Except for you and me BI, there really isn't anyone else that mentions the BI NWZ, especially on your "side" of this issue. I personally, find violations of NWZ's to be irritating at best, at least very annoying.

You bring a fair game to the discussion BI, and I always respect your positions, whenever you're not reluctant to show them. Your post above, as compared to others on the very same subject, are not consistent observations. Believe me, there are many people that are against the speed limit that support your positions in some areas, particularly the safety aspect. The biggest thing we all offered for those like yourself, is a constant discussion towards enforcement of the obvious laws, and necessary MP support. One of the many areas the SL crowd is pretty weak in.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #30
Mee-n-Mac

Question Two questions

Quote:
So you make a good argument that we don't need a compromise (except 45/25 was the compromise, 45 MPH being very fast). You also make a good argument for lowering 45 to 40.As we saw from a post about the GFBL pulled over one evening 2 weeks ago, eventually you'll get caught, and the expense and trouble will indeed slow you down in the future.
First, in what way do you consider 45/25 to be "the compromise" ? IIRC those were the numbers proposed in the original HB162 per Rep Pilliod.

Second, what's your reasoning for lowering the 45 to 40 ? Am I to understand that you think the 50 MPH mentioned above is too fast ? Specifically, that 50 is not just unlawful but dangerous to the public at large ?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #31
Kracken

ELCHASE “I'm called "la luna" and worse, but that's just "razzing"”

My post on 9/8/2009:

I know this question is probably patented but...

Did you ever notice the SUN (el sol) and the MOON (tortuga) never appear on the forum at the same time?

Ah maybe its la luna

1. la luna = the moon
2. If you took this to mean you (elchase) then I called you the Sun..or the Moon...now I am confused …not sure what the insult would be there.

The intension of my post was not to call you a name. However I guess if I need to explain a joke…it was not funny in the first place. My Bad.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #32
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
I don't think that has anything to do with the SL..... Economy trumps all.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #33
pm203

Quote:
you'll get caught, and the expense and trouble will indeed slow you down in the future.
You can only hope.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #34
hazelnut

Quote:

All in all I do not believe that the SL has had any impact on the lake. I fully blame weather and economy but... as you said, who can really say. I do appreciate your posts and views. In light of what we are seeing from a select one or two individual supporters on this forum it is refreshing to have you back B.I. In the past I may have gotten heated with you over this topic but I've come to appreciate your position and the reasons you give. You have never varied from your belief. You also seem to have an open mind and at least listen and debate openly.

I'm thinking that you probably witness many a violation at that particular spot on the lake. I know I witness chaos every weekend where my Camp is. One thing that I appreciate is that you have not pretended that this law has some how solved every problem that plagues Winni.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-20-2009), colt17 (09-11-2009), NoRegrets (09-11-2009), OCDACTIVE (09-20-2009), VitaBene (09-11-2009)
Old 09-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #35
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
All in all I do not believe that the SL has had any impact on the lake. I fully blame weather and economy but... as you said, who can really say. I do appreciate your posts and views. In light of what we are seeing from a select one or two individual supporters on this forum it is refreshing to have you back B.I. In the past I may have gotten heated with you over this topic but I've come to appreciate your position and the reasons you give. You have never varied from your belief. You also seem to have an open mind and at least listen and debate openly.

I'm thinking that you probably witness many a violation at that particular spot on the lake. I know I witness chaos every weekend where my Camp is. One thing that I appreciate is that you have not pretended that this law has some how solved every problem that plagues Winni.
Just wondering, this time of year how much traffic do you usually see there? Not only violations.... Just curious.. I would assume it is very very quiet like in my area.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #36
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Just wondering, this time of year how much traffic do you usually see there? Not only violations.... Just curious.. I would assume it is very very quiet like in my area.
Lots of High Performance Boats out Saturday, It was like the Powerboat Races were back. Loved every second of it, one guy must have made 5 or 6 passes across Rattlesnake. Of course everyone was operating within all aspects of the law.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #37
Rattlesnake Guy

We enjoyed the show as well. Kept RG busy with the camera. It was especially interesting because of how rough the water was on Saturday. The blue boat seemed to be having some real fun having the lake all to themselves.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #38
BroadHopper

Thumbs up Attended the Vintage Race by Boat Saturday

It was 'ROUGH' on the Broads. I haven't seen this condition in a long time. The wind was blowing from the Northwest. It was fun crossing from North to South with the wind. The wind did not die down toward the end of the day. Against the wind, it was a bit intimidatiing for a 22 footer. I had to take it slow home. There were a few 'dancers' out there having fun. I was jealous. I was surprise to see a PWC off of Welch. The guy appeared to be having trouble. I noticed he was heading back to the island. I watch to make sure he was safe.

There was one guy at the regatta preaching the speed limit. Nobody gave him a time of day. He was definitely at the wrong place at the wrong time. He was really turning people off. Good news for the opposers.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #39
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Broad Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
Lots of High Performance Boats out Saturday, It was like the Powerboat Races were back. Loved every second of it, one guy must have made 5 or 6 passes across Rattlesnake. Of course everyone was operating within all aspects of the law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
We enjoyed the show as well. Kept RG busy with the camera. It was especially interesting because of how rough the water was on Saturday. The blue boat seemed to be having some real fun having the lake all to themselves.

I totally loved seeing the high Performance Boats this past weekend! The first three shots are from Saturday out on The Broads.
The last one was taken as we were leaving Smith Cove.

I wish the Powerboat Races would return!

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 10-15-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #40
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I wish the powerboat races would return, too, RG. Weren't they great? And you must have had the best seat in the house!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 AM   #41
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I wish the powerboat races would return, too, RG. Weren't they great? And you must have had the best seat in the house!
I am jealous.... I have friend on the arm of Rattlesnake and for the races we used to climb the mountain to see the entire field... It was fun but you couldn't see anything up close obviously. Your vantage point must have been AWESOME!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #42
Rattlesnake Gal

Talking Powerboat Races Must Have Been Cool!

The races must have been very cool from our spot. Sadly they stopped just before we arrived.

The closest I've come to a race our various poker runs. This year it was quite fantastic seeing so many boats coming down The Broads all at once. I snapped a few pictures, but didn't the best vantage point - need to get higher next time.

As far as the 45 mph speed limit goes this year, it seems that many of us, especially me, cannot judge what 45 mph looks like. Case in point; just after the Dozi Poker Run, a thread popped up; Where was the Marine Patrol? Lots of people thought they were exceeding the speed limit, but they weren't. Scroll down to post 11 - they were all traveling at 45 mph.

Don’t get me wrong, there are definitely some speeders out there, but I don't think there's as many as perceived. I definitely believe there is far less speeders on the lake than there are captain boneheads. Is there law of common sense?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-24-2009), colt17 (09-24-2009), NoRegrets (09-24-2009), OCDACTIVE (09-24-2009), VtSteve (09-24-2009)
Old 09-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #43
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
The races must have been very cool from our spot. Sadly they stopped just before we arrived.

The closest I've come to a race our various poker runs. This year it was quite fantastic seeing so many boats coming down The Broads all at once. I snapped a few pictures, but didn't the best vantage point - need to get higher next time.

As far as the 45 mph speed limit goes this year, it seems that many of us, especially me, cannot judge what 45 mph looks like. Case in point; just after the Dozi Poker Run, a thread popped up; Where was the Marine Patrol? Lots of people thought they were exceeding the speed limit, but they weren't. Scroll down to post 11 - they were all traveling at 45 mph.

Don’t get me wrong, there are definitely some speeders out there, but I don't think there's as many as perceived. I definitely believe there is far less speeders on the lake than there are captain boneheads. Is there law of common sense?
Well Rattlesnake Gal... If the poker run is not held the same time as last year, and I don't have a full boat you are welcome to join me in mine... I can't guarentee it won't break the barrier but will do my best
Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #44
onlywinni

This boat is AWESOME!!!!!!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...1-09_045-2.jpg

It is dead quiet and barely creates a wake...

He made me feel real small and real slow a few weeks back...

Of course we were well under the 45mph speed limit
The Following User Says Thank You to onlywinni For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (09-24-2009)
Old 09-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #45
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
This boat is AWESOME!!!!!!

Of course we were well under the 45mph speed limit
Yes definately under 45 with only the last 1/6 of the boat in the water...
Old 09-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #46
onlywinni

Quote:
Yes definately under 45 with only the last 1/6 of the boat in the water...
Exactly!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #47
VtSteve

Default Aha

I knew it could be done right. OCD, does that boat have some sort of proper muffler systems on it? I'd like to find out.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #48
ApS

Post Speaking of Rattlesnake...

Quote:
"...The races must have been very cool from our spot..."
I only discovered the event was taking place because my cottage began shaking.

They were very cool, but it was more of a parade than "a race", and were quite distant from "your" side of Rattlesnake Island. To watch, I chose NOT to anchor, but floated next to a one anchored boat and a Lake amphibian aircraft.

Quote:
"...The closest I've come to a race our various poker runs. This year it was quite fantastic seeing so many boats coming down The Broads all at once. I snapped a few pictures, but didn't the best vantage point - need to get higher next time..."
The very best vantage point is where I snapped a few pictures four years ago—stopped—and right in the middle of 'em!

I had taken my smallest powerboat, and elected to row the ¼-mile home for the exercise. The MP made a stop—of me!

Quote:
"...All in all things were a lot quieter this summer. I like to think the SL is a big part of that but who can say? I do think the SL is at least a little part of the improvement..."
I'd agree. Those who speak of "rampant" sales of properties around the lake need to look again at those properties most effected by the SL.

Right in the middle of the lake—Rattlesnake Island—has many fewer "For Sale" signs than in previous years.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #49
Kracken

Default Aps

APS,

I am not sure why there are fewer “For Sale” signs on Rattlesnake, but I do know for sure…The speed limit is NOT the reason.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #50
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
I had taken my smallest powerboat, and elected to row the ¼-mile home for the exercise. The MP made a stop—of me!

They must have been reading your posts on here... LOL!!

J/K
Old 09-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #51
Russ Jones

Default Need for speed

As a longtime (49 yrs) user of Winni, and an avid fisherman, the speed limit is bull. And, if you talk to the MP off the record, they think it's a waste of time. Over the years, the biggest issue has been the morons who don't have a clue about boating safety and booze. The best thing that ever happened was the madatory safety training. While it will NEVER save us from all the morons, at least it has educated the majority. The past couple of years on the lake has shown a great improvement, that has nothing to do with the speed limit. By the way, when I'm not trolling for salmon or lakers, I will take a 60mph ride around the lake but it's done safely. The only thing the speed limit does is make people so paranoid that they don't get their boats up on plane and that is tearing appart the shoreline with large wakes. I live in NH and have a home on Alton Bay. It doesn't get much busier than that and the sound of a well tuned "go fast" is great!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jones For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-28-2009), chipj29 (09-29-2009), OCDACTIVE (09-28-2009), TiltonBB (09-28-2009)
Old 09-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #52
codeman671

Quote:

Right in the middle of the lake—Rattlesnake Island—has many fewer "For Sale" signs than in previous years.
And this is related to the speed limit, less performance boats or the lack of offshore powerboat racing?

Did you ever think that maybe it has to do with the economy and real estate market? Rattlesnake has a history of having a lot of lower priced island properties which make it more affordable for the average consumer. In general there are not a lot of island properties for sale anywhere, far less than a normal season.

The lesser amount of island properties for sale everywhere has NO correlation to your dream that performance boats are the root of all evil and are scaring residents off the lake...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-28-2009), OCDACTIVE (09-28-2009)
Old 09-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #53
Rattlesnake Guy

RG and I took a ride around the island Saturday and counted 12 places for sale. I don't have official statistics on what the 10 year average is but this actually seems higher than usual to us.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:46 PM   #54
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Speed Limit is a Waste of Resources

I have been on the lake in many different ways since 1968. I have looked at the speed limit from my perspective as a boater, waterfront homeowner, condo slip owner, commercial property owner and marina owner.
Nothing that the speed limit has done has changed the lake one bit.
First, remember that the marine patrol did not write one speeding ticket all season.
Second, bear in mind that the economy is so far down that a significant number of boats were never put inthe water and a large number of people cut way back on the amount of boating that they did.
Third, the weather in June and July also had a major impact on the amount of boats on the lake for half the summer. I live on a very open part of the lake and I agree that the lake was very quiet this year, but guess what "it's the economy stupid"
As so many on this forum have said: The boaters who do not abide by all of the other rules (especially safe passage) are the problem. It is too bad that the uninformed and cluless continue to cite the speed limit as some great solution, when the enforcement of it would actually use valuable resources needlessly and create more problems than it solves.
Thankfully, the marine patrol had better things to do this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
NoRegrets (09-28-2009), onlywinni (09-29-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #55
ApS

Default Clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
"...And this is related to the speed limit, less performance boats or the lack of offshore powerboat racing...?"
Rattlesnake Island's NE shore is the former site of Rattlesnake Island's "measured mile", and is the longest "straight" along Winnipesaukee's shorelines where offenders can get a sense (and the thrill) of top speed operation. Another straight one mile stretch is directly off my shoreline; fortunately, large swim rafts keep most offenders at a distance.

I don't recall seeing Rattlesnake Island's NE shore having any large swim rafts. (At least not for very long! )

Quote:
RG and I took a ride around the island Saturday and counted 12 places for sale. I don't have official statistics on what the 10 year average is but this actually seems higher than usual to us.
To clarify, there are fewer homes for sale on Rattlesnake Island's Broads-side than in recent years—fewer "official" signs, and fewer "home-made" signs.

The Broads NE shoreline has the largest concentration of offenders in my usual area of fair-weather boating. I'd expect that most islanders who must boat off that shore previously had to look both ways as though they were trying to cross I-93—on foot!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #56
codeman671

Quote:
Rattlesnake Island's NE shore is the former site of Rattlesnake Island's "measured mile", and is the longest "straight" along Winnipesaukee's shorelines where offenders can get a sense (and the thrill) of top speed operation. Another straight one mile stretch is directly off my shoreline; fortunately, large swim rafts keep most offenders at a distance.

I don't recall seeing Rattlesnake Island's NE shore having any large swim rafts. (At least not for very long! )

To clarify, there are fewer homes for sale on Rattlesnake Island's Broads-side than in recent years—fewer "official" signs, and fewer "home-made" signs.

The Broads NE shoreline has the largest concentration of offenders in my usual area of fair-weather boating. I'd expect that most islanders who must boat off that shore previously had to look both ways as though they were trying to cross I-93—on foot!
And your point is????

Trying to correlate a smaller amount of properties for sale on Rattlesnake today compared to years past to a newly imposed speed limit is ludicrous. The two have NOTHING in common. If I lived on the broads side of Rattlesnake, speeding boats would be the least of my concerns.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #57
ApS

Default On THE BROADS Side...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
I am not sure why there are fewer “For Sale” signs on Rattlesnake, but I do know for sure…The speed limit is NOT the reason.
And the better reason is?

Quote:
For sale signs are down (perhaps by half) on the Broads side of Rattlesnake.

I watch there carefully because I get a charge out of watching wind-driven waves and spray and consider the idea of owning there someday. It can be like living on the exciting ocean—without low tide! Yet one can enjoy a quick ride to nearly anywhere else on the lake when it's not rough. I scan that shore on nearly every outing, which I've been doing for as long as I've been afloat.

Quote:
"...The blue boat seemed to be having some real fun having the lake all to themselves..."
That blue Fountain "fun-boat" only thinks he has the lake to himself. (Check again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671;
"...If I lived on the broads side of Rattlesnake, speeding boats would be the least of my concerns..."
1) But where would speeding boats NOT be the least of your concerns?

2) But maybe you're right:

Broad-side Rattlesnake Island residents have very steep shorelines and are unlikely to be victims of collision injury, damage or fatality: plus, Rattlesnake is an easily-seen island.

Nearby Parker Island is small, yet has a disproportionate number of collisions onto it—one involving a fatality.

3) Why are all these names so readily-linked to tragedy among the speed crowd...on the inland-waters we all wish to protect...?

deTourillon
Cody
Colann
Cameron
Rush
Frisbie
Mastronardi
Gibson
Mineo
Littlefield
Blizzard

Yet all we can recall is "Thorndike" when it comes to non-fatal misadventures with Winnipesaukee's performance boats?

This photo is just one example of serial "Broads" crashes since 2002, has an unknown, un-named "driver", and is not Mr. Thorndike's boat—which is a similar boat that ran onto Parker Island. The scenery includes Mt. Shaw in the background.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #58
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Case of Recklessness

Quote:

This photo is just one example of serial "Broads" crashes since 2002, has an unknown, un-named "driver", and is not Mr. Thorndike's boat—which is a similar boat that ran onto Parker Island. The scenery includes Mt. Shaw in the background.
Accident on the Broads ~ flipped off shore boat. July 3, 2004

A speed limit wouldn't have made a difference in this case. This guy was just being reckless.
The Accident on The Broads can be seen here, scroll down to posts #4 and #6.

For those who haven't been on the Forum long enough, Acres Per Second used to post under madrasahs.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-09-2009), DEJ (10-09-2009), jmen24 (10-09-2009), OCDACTIVE (10-09-2009)
Old 10-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #59
NoRegrets

Should I show a picture of my kayak or canoe in a similar prone position and what would we deduce from that?

There was also a similar "bow up" picture of an older MFG boat being attended to in aAlton bay that was attributed to a "big wave" in one article.

Thanks to RSG's technical response we can probably show this was a BONEHEAD move......
Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #60
onlywinni

Well the boat is layed up for the winter....

I can report that I operated in a safe manner all season long. I was respectful of my fellow boaters..even those in kayaks and sailboats

On occasion I gave my big block Mercruiser a workout while all alone in the broads and even convinced my wife this year that it is safe to do so and the speed limit is not necessary.

--------------------------

Now I cant wait until the snow and ice so I can blast across the lake at 100mph+ on my sled

Have a safe winter everyone...
Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #61
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Well the boat is layed up for the winter....

I can report that I operated in a safe manner all season long. I was respectful of my fellow boaters..even those in kayaks and sailboats

On occasion I gave my big block Mercruiser a workout while all alone in the broads and even convinced my wife this year that it is safe to do so and the speed limit is not necessary.

Now I cant wait until the snow and ice so I can blast across the lake at 100mph+ on my sled

Glad to hear she is away safe and sound for her long slumber. Do you drain the engine? or do you fill with antifreeze?

I guess those in the broads won't be tormented by your rath anymore

See you out there next year...
Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #62
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Yes

Quote:

We will be there with you!! My son is chomping at the bit already
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #63
OCDACTIVE

Quote:

Ummmm excuse me but I do believe there are limits for snowmobiles... I am calling the fish and game. Don't you know you will be terrorizing the ice fisherman? This could severly damage their well being and ruin the peace and tranquility! It isn't like you won't see them coming from 3 miles out.... I think I should start a poll that is designed only to come out in my favor because safety may be compromised..

Example:

Q: Mr. Smith, have you ever snowmobiled?
A: No
Q: have you ever been to lake winnipesaukee?
Q: Don't you think traveling over 40 mph in a congested walmart parking lot could be considered dangerous to the general public because you may hit children.
A: Of course
Q: Do you think that this should also apply to snowmobilers on a lake?
A: Yes
Q: So I can assume you would be in favor of speed limits

Thank you for your time.

BroadHopper (10-28-2009)
Old 10-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #64
Kracken

Thanks OCD, just inhaled coffee up my nose.

I am not sure but I thought there was no speed limit on the lake for sleds. Althought there is a 150 rule for bob-houses..10 mph I think.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #65
OCDACTIVE

[QUOTE=Kracken;110198]I am not sure but I thought there was no speed limit on the lake [QUOTE]

I are you sure? I thought there was a state wide one? My god the chaos this could bring!!!! Lets start a group called the Snowfabs! We can not have this. I can not believe that there is a part of the world that is unregulated. I don't know what we could end up doing with our lives! Anarchy I tell you! Anarchy!!! Thank god there are no penguins! but oh my! what about those seagulls that I see in the winter! or the squirrls! They need protection!

Call the NH house as we speak!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #66
onlywinni

Quote:
Ummmm excuse me but I do believe there are limits for snowmobiles... I am calling the fish and game. Don't you know you will be terrorizing the ice fisherman? This could severly damage their well being and ruin the peace and tranquility! It isn't like you won't see them coming from 3 miles out.... I think I should start a poll that is designed only to come out in my favor because safety may be compromised..

Example:

Q: Mr. Smith, have you ever snowmobiled?
Q: have you ever been to lake winnipesaukee?
Q: Don't you think traveling over 40 mph in a congested walmart parking lot could be considered dangerous to the general public because you may hit children.
A: Of course
Q: Do you think that this should also apply to snowmobilers on a lake?
Q: So I can assume you would be in favor of speed limits

Thank you for your time.

....good laugh...

re my 496HO..it has a closed anti-freeze system

Last edited by onlywinni; 10-28-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #67
chipj29

There is a 45 MPH snowmobile speed limit on trails. There is no speed limit on lakes/ponds, with a couple exceptions.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #68
Lakegeezer

The speed limit on state trails is 45. There is no speed limit on frozen water.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #69
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
There is no speed limit on frozen water.
This needs to change.

How can we just let these SnowCowboys ride at unlimited speeds.

I can't believe that nice Senator from Belmont failed to see that this frozen water is unregulated!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #70
Kracken

We need to make the snow/ice of our lake more tranquil and peacefull than it has been in recent years. We need to make sure people on ice skates and flying saucer sleds feel safe without having noisy quater ton machines of death flying by them at speeds not seen since…….

Wait a second, as I was typing this I realized some people might actually think it’s a good idea and start sending letters to the Laconia Sun.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #71
elchase

Quote:
We need to make sure people on ice skates and flying saucer sleds feel safe
I'm sure that once a few entrepreneurs recognize the highly profitable but yet untapped "winter cowboy" market and start designing ever-faster, ever-louder, and ever-larger snowmobiles to attract them, then when those cowboys start getting sucked into the "need-for-speed" marketing program for these vehicles and start buying them in larger and larger numbers and start operating them (often while drinking) more and more recklessly on the ice during the more crowded winter events, and we have a few fatal accidents, we will then need to start talking about speed limits for them too....of course. It only makes sense that as environments change and risks increase, safety laws need to evolve to keep up. How can anyone with even a modicum of common sense not understand and agree with this logic? Oh wait...
Besides, don't snowmobiles at least have brakes?

Old 10-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #72
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
We need to make the snow/ice of our lake more tranquil and peacefull than it has been in recent years. We need to make sure people on ice skates and flying saucer sleds feel safe without having noisy quater ton machines of death flying by them at speeds not seen since…….

Wait a second, as I was typing this I realized some people might actually think it’s a good idea and start sending letters to the Laconia Sun.
Good Call Kracken... Next thing they will do is try to install tolls on trails to service them.

Ooops there we go again throwing out ideas that they might actually use...

We have to stop that..
Old 10-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #73
elchase

Default Boater in fatal crash was traveling at high speed

Good thing that accidents like this don't happen on Winnipesaukee anymore since we got the SL;

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...1.1501898?qr=1

Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #74
OCDACTIVE

Kracken.. A friend of mine in alton.... her father just bought a brand new formula. I believe Fastech with twins... I am trying to get the details for you so you can look for him. Hoping to meet up with him a shibleys at some point. you should join us!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #75
DEJ

I agree with you OCD, tolls on trails are in order!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #76
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
Maybe they can set them up in the broads to cut back on the cowboyesq attitude.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #77
hazelnut

Quote:
Trolls on Trails?

Ooops you said Tolls on trails. I can see it now E-Z Pass for my sled!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #78
DEJ

How about hover crafts and air boats, they can go pretty fast as well, perhaps laws need to be passed to slow them down as well.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #79
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Trolls on Trails?

Careful. they may start timing you between tolls to figure your speed. LOL
Old 10-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #80
DEJ

EZ pass on sleds, now that is a great way to generate revenue for the State. Perhaps you should contact the Governor with that suggestion.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #81
hazelnut

Quote:
How about hover crafts and air boats, they can go pretty fast as well, perhaps laws need to be passed to slow them down as well.
Actually how bout all them there vehicles driving on the ice? As of now any one of them could potentially travel at limitless speeds while driving on the ice. I aint never seen no speed limit sign stuck in the ice!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #82
elchase

Only one of the five passengers got killed in this high-speed crash...the other passengers were only injured. I bet it would have been a lot less tragic, or even avoided, had they been going 45;
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...t_crash_a.html

Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #83
DEJ

Good point Hnut. There should be a law...
Old 10-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #84
BroadHopper

Default NY incident.

Quote:
Careful. they may start timing you between tolls to figure your speed. LOL
I actually had that happen to me on the NY Turnpike back in 1979. I was driving a 440 6 Pack Challenger at 3 AM in the morning. It was 'wall to wall and treetop tall'. When I got off at the Lyons exit. The toll guy signal a trooper when he notice my times!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #85
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Trolls on Trails?

That is what the ignore button is for... Sorry not the tolls.. you get in trouble for running those..
Old 10-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #86
elchase

Discussion about tolls and snowmobiles should be taken to another thread. This thread in the Anti Speed Limit section is for speed limit talk only.
Let's talk about this accident that killed a 12 year old girl when the boat she was in was hit by another traveling at "a very fast rate of speed". Wonder if her chances for surviving would have more likely been increased or decreased if the boats were limited to 45?
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2291795/posts

Old 10-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #87
DEJ

I wonder why the NH Legislature did not think about tolls on snowmobile trails.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #88
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
I wonder why the NH Legislature did not think about tolls on snowmobile trails.
give it time! LOL... they have to pass all these feel good speed limit laws first.. then we can move to banning sleds over a certain HP etc... Then the tolls will come.. God only knows what the boat and sled registration will be increased to by then.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:52 PM   #89
elchase

Quote:
feel good speed limit laws
Now we are getting back on topic.

Three killed in this one where "speed and proper lookout played crucial parts in the wreck". Wonder if the families of the dead would be amused by all this talk of tolls?; http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles...t-srowson.html

Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #90
DEJ

Give it time indeed.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #91
OCDACTIVE

you know what was amazing with the EZ pass? When I towed to VA it picked up the trailer as well. I still could go through even with two extra axles. Any idea how it figures that out.

By the way the Tapanzee bridge WICKED expensive. I forgot the exact but it was like $5 a car / truck then $11.50 per axle! it was like $26 to go over it ONCE!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #92
elchase

It's amazing that only one of the drivers was killed when these two boats collided at high speeds;
http://www.sanduskyregister.com/arti...ont/939482.txt

Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #93
hazelnut

Quote:
give it time! LOL... they have to pass all these feel good speed limit laws first.. then we can move to banning sleds over a certain HP etc... Then the tolls will come.. God only knows what the boat and sled registration will be increased to by then.
It's coming.... All it takes is one Representative who needs to get elected and loves to hear themselves talk. Then they champion a cause, such as the illustrious baseless SL law on Winni and whamo! Governing speed of snowmobiles is next I can feel it. Unfortunately they are sometimes noisy and they do go fast, and that scares people.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #94
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Now we are getting back on topic.

Three killed in this one where "speed and proper lookout played crucial parts in the wreck". Wonder if the families of the dead would be amused by all this talk of tolls?; http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles...t-srowson.html
Come on el...how can this have any relevance? It happened in another state for gosh sakes. Was alcohol involved? You're such a fear monger!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turtle Boy For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (10-28-2009), chmeeee (10-29-2009), OCDACTIVE (10-28-2009)
Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #95
elchase

Default Fatal boat crash raises safety questions

It's a big problem down under too;
http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/con...8/s2232602.htm
Can you imagine that over 22 people were killed in high-speed boating accidents right in Sydney's harbor in just seven years? Amazing.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #96
elchase

Quote:
Come on el...how can this have any relevance? It happened in another state for gosh sakes. Was alcohol involved? You're such a fear monger!
TB,
You forgot to wink. Better hurry up and add it before they start quoting you and including you in their numbers.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #97
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
I know he is being sarcastic but actually true. I haven't hit the button on TB yet.. Especially if he continues to have good posts like this.. Thanks
BroadHopper (10-28-2009), Dick (03-11-2022)
Old 10-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #98
DEJ

I agree Hnut, it is coming.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #99
elchase

Default "it appears that the boat was traveling at a high rate of speed"

This guy killed his 25 yr old passenger by taking him for a boat ride that was a little too fast;
http://www.midwestboatparty.com/foru...ead.php?t=5594

Old 10-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #100
brk-lnt

Quote:
This guy killed his 25 yr old passenger by taking him for a boat ride that was a little too fast;
http://www.midwestboatparty.com/foru...ead.php?t=5594
Funny, the article gives no data on the actual speed they were traveling.

"High rate of speed" seems a little bit open to interpretation, especially when we have seen from some posts here that there are people who think 30MPH is a "high rate of speed".

It is also impossible to determine if the operator of the boat would have felt compelled to adhere to a speed limit law had one existed in the first place.

Further, this incident seems to be entirely limited to the people on-board the vessel involved. While I'll admit this is speculation on my part, there is a high probability that they were all riding under their own free will. I personally do not believe that we need any laws that only protect us from ourselves, and that such laws are rarely ever observed by the people they are geared towards.

About the only relation this story has to Winnipesaukee is that there is water involved.