Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Common Man Replaces Plastic Straws

Nice to see a move towards less plastic I hope somehow they can replace the plastic cups and utensils at Town Docks

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/comm...ntent=headline

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
garysanfran

Default Use one in California...

$1,000 fine.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
codeman671

I am not a fan of using paper straws, but certainly agree with the shift to help the environment. I'd rather just not use one at all.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Like the idea that restaurants are taking this action themselves instead of being regulated too. It is positive to read the Common Man franchise is taking this direction, but should not accolades be given to O’s that went this direction 3 months ago

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Like the idea that restaurants are taking this action themselves instead of being regulated too. It is positive to read the Common Man franchise is taking this direction, but should not accolades be given to O’s that went this direction 3 months ago

Absolutely, I have not been to O or Canoe since September so I had no idea
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Things that make you go HMMM....

Replacing plastic with paper means more trees will be cut down which is also bad for the environment so the environmentalists say, or have said.

Recycling can only recover so much as compared to demand so the net hit here is that more trees will need to be cut down to satisfy supply. Nobody ever mentions the environmental hit recycling takes... Recycling paper saves energy, reduces pollution, preserves trees and conserves landfill space, but it is a messy process that uses caustic chemicals and produces harmful byproducts and emissions.

In the grand scheme of things swapping over to plastic straws may "feel good" but the reality is what is it really doing other than feeling good about one's self. Answer is not much.

I wonder if the state of California cared so much about the environment why not go mental about the volume of plastic hypodermic needles that litter the urban areas there? Are they not both an environmental and biohazard problem? Guess not...

I'm all for doing stuff like this that makes sense... most of it does not. All this is doing is shifting the environment impact to a place where it's not seen and costs the consumer more.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-09-2019), GodSmile (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Things that make you go HMMM....

Replacing plastic with paper means more trees will be cut down which is also bad for the environment so the environmentalists say, or have said.

Recycling can only recover so much as compared to demand so the net hit here is that more trees will need to be cut down to satisfy supply. Nobody ever mentions the environmental hit recycling takes... Recycling paper saves energy, reduces pollution, preserves trees and conserves landfill space, but it is a messy process that uses caustic chemicals and produces harmful byproducts and emissions.

In the grand scheme of things swapping over to plastic straws may "feel good" but the reality is what is it really doing other than feeling good about one's self. Answer is not much.

I wonder if the state of California cared so much about the environment why not go mental about the volume of plastic hypodermic needles that litter the urban areas there? Are they not both an environmental and biohazard problem? Guess not...

I'm all for doing stuff like this that makes sense... most of it does not. All this is doing is shifting the environment impact to a place where it's not seen and costs the consumer more.
I am by no means an environmentalist however we do use way too much plastic, especially the shopping bags. Also I disagree about the caustic chemical used in recycling. More and more companies are shifting to non caustic natural products to recycle paper and at worst the caustic chemicals do not stay around in a landfill for the next century like the straws and shopping bags.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
GodSmile

Default other considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I am by no means an environmentalist however we do use way too much plastic, especially the shopping bags. Also I disagree about the caustic chemical used in recycling. More and more companies are shifting to non caustic natural products to recycle paper and at worst the caustic chemicals do not stay around in a landfill for the next century like the straws and shopping bags.
I was in the paper recycling industry, admittedly a long time ago, but other considerations: a byproduct of paper recycling is 'short paper fiber' AKA sludge. This goes into a land fill unless some other use has been found. Also the recycling process was (and I believe still is) energy intensive. No perfect solution... at least not yet.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
MAXUM

Quote:
And if recycling can be done where the environmental impact is reduced or better yet eliminated that's great and thus a sound solution. However to many just "assume" that if they don't see "it" then we're all good when the reality is that is not always the case. Most don't pay to much attention to what happens "behind the scenes" such as the actual recycling process used in this case.

I'm no environmentalist either, however always a proponent of doing things that are friendly to the environment when and where it makes sense to do so. The jury is out on this one, but as usual the feel good legislators think waving a magic legislative wand will do it.... well no that is simply wishful thinking and shifting the impact out of the public eye. You'd think the prudent thing to do instead of instituting a ban on something such as California has done blindly - weigh the proposed replacement option in it's entirety first! That would include the economic impact as well.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #10
joey2665

Quote:
And if recycling can be done where the environmental impact is reduced or better yet eliminated that's great and thus a sound solution. However to many just "assume" that if they don't see "it" then we're all good when the reality is that is not always the case. Most don't pay to much attention to what happens "behind the scenes" such as the actual recycling process used in this case.

I'm no environmentalist either, however always a proponent of doing things that are friendly to the environment when and where it makes sense to do so. The jury is out on this one, but as usual the feel good legislators think waving a magic legislative wand will do it.... well no that is simply wishful thinking and shifting the impact out of the public eye. You'd think the prudent thing to do instead of instituting a ban on something such as California has done blindly - weigh the proposed replacement option in it's entirety first! That would include the economic impact as well.
Agreed and to prove your point here in NY after recycling is collected some communities do not bother sending it all to the recycling center and it is just mixed later with the regular trash giving people the false sense it is all being recycled.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #11
Irish mist

Quote:
Agreed and to prove your point here in NY after recycling is collected some communities do not bother sending it all to the recycling center and it is just mixed later with the regular trash giving people the false sense it is all being recycled.
That's happening in a lot of communities. Recycling costs are becoming prohibitive.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #12
Rusty

I'll just bring my own plastic straw whenever I go out to eat.....and yes I will bring it home to dispose of it.
The nonplastic straws are like a sipping straw that are used for mixed drinks, the inside diameter is too small..at least the ones of come across.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #13
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
That's happening in a lot of communities. Recycling costs are becoming prohibitive.
Increased labor costs and the switch to more natural products to process the paper and plastic. Still we need to start someplace but I do not know what the answer is.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:26 PM   #14
MAXUM

Quote:
Increased labor costs and the switch to more natural products to process the paper and plastic. Still we need to start someplace but I do not know what the answer is.
Let the industry develop sound, friendly and cost effective techniques. It'll happen but not necessarily on a legislated time table. There is enough interest in recycling and people across the country have shown a willingness to but it has to make sense.

Like any other alternative energy source, don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees that renewables are a fantastic way to go, but it'll take time for the technology to fully develop. Major strides have been made in this regard and the results are getting increasingly competitive with fossil fuels... but there is a ways to go yet. Taxing the hell out of fossil fuels and government subsidizing alternative sources of energy is nothing but an expensive and artificial way to close that gap. Of course tax payers and consumers (in most cases one in the same) end up getting screwed.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #15
joey2665

Quote:
Let the industry develop sound, friendly and cost effective techniques. It'll happen but not necessarily on a legislated time table. There is enough interest in recycling and people across the country have shown a willingness to but it has to make sense.

Like any other alternative energy source, don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees that renewables are a fantastic way to go, but it'll take time for the technology to fully develop. Major strides have been made in this regard and the results are getting increasingly competitive with fossil fuels... but there is a ways to go yet. Taxing the hell out of fossil fuels and government subsidizing alternative sources of energy is nothing but an expensive and artificial way to close that gap. Of course tax payers and consumers (in most cases one in the same) end up getting screwed.
In the meantime, if move move more from plastic to paper the paper eventually will decompose in a very short amount of time where the plastic stays around forever.
FlyingScot (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #16
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Why have straws at all?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #17
baygo

Default Not all plastic straws are a problem

We have been using compostable plastic straws for almost 9 years.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #18
WinnisquamZ

After all this paper or plastic straw discussion, can we all agree it is irrelevant as the paper straws get tossed in a plastic garage bag where they will sit for the next 1k years. Bring back the local incinerators!!

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-09-2019), MAXUM (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #19
Joebon

Reduce, reuse, recycle. Recycling is the last resort. Reduce by not using a straw. If you use a straw, reuse it more than once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #20
gravy boat

Default Paper or plastic?

Kind of surprised FLL didn't suggest the Federal government issue all persons (keeping it PC here) living in the US Crazy Straws (remember those?) and require their use and each person using said straws to bring them home to clean. Or....actually place your lips to the glass and drink as in the good ol' days.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #21
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Guess I'm just old fashioned …...but when I was growing up we just drank out of glasses and cups.Why are straws even needed?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (01-18-2019), Pine Island Guy (01-21-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
After all this paper or plastic straw discussion, can we all agree it is irrelevant as the paper straws get tossed in a plastic garage bag where they will sit for the next 1k years. Bring back the local incinerators!!

That is a really good point. The little tiny plastic straw is nothing compared to those big plastic bags. Will we need to change to paper garbage bags?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #23
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
That is a really good point. The little tiny plastic straw is nothing compared to those big plastic bags. Will we need to change to paper garbage bags?
No we all need to get a Mr. Fusion.

We have not yet determined how many plastic straws will result in the needed 1.21 gigawatts of power required to breech the space time continuum.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-18-2019), Crusty (01-17-2019), gravy boat (01-18-2019), WinnisquamZ (01-17-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:12 AM   #24
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Guess I'm just old fashioned …...but when I was growing up we just drank out of glasses and cups.Why are straws even needed?
When I was growing up we drank directly out of streams...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:06 AM   #25
ApS

Question Sharing Drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Guess I'm just old fashioned …...but when I was growing up we just drank out of glasses and cups.
Why are straws even needed?
Especially when you don't know where they've been?

gravy boat (01-18-2019), MAXUM (01-18-2019), TheRoBoat (01-18-2019), thinkxingu (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #26
joey2665

Oh well I didn’t want t the thread to be a huge environmental discussion just thought it was nice to see local companies trying to be proactive and I’m always concerned about the long term welfare of the lake.

TheRoBoat (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #27
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I watched 60 minutes last week, I believe, and they had a story about a recluse that spent his whole life working on developing fuel from plants. It evolved into making plastics that would disintegrated at a certain time limit, like a time bomb, and he could control that time limit. He made fuel from plants that could go right into the tank of your car without any modifications. If you can look it up It was very interesting, check it out. It looked like it was just a matter of getting the product costs down to where it can compete with fossil fuels.

Last edited by Biggd; 01-18-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #28
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I watched 60 minutes last week, I believe, and they had a story about a recluse that spent his whole like working on developing fuel from plants. It evolved into making plastics that would disintegrated at a certain time limit, like a time bomb, and he could control that time limit. He made fuel from plants that could go right into the tank of your car without any modifications. If you can look it up It was very interesting, check it out. It looked like it was just a matter of getting the product costs down to where it can compete with fossil fuels.
Interesting that they didn't go over and interview the folks over at Exxon/Mobile - ya know the evil "big oil" company who continues to spend a lot of time and effort developing cost effective bio fuels as well. It only makes sense think of the value of that technology if perfected…. a lost cost bio fuel would be worth a fortune.

The reason why, and excuse my cynicism, that wouldn't fit the CBS narrative of "big oil" = evil.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #29
Biggd

Quote:
Interesting that they didn't go over and interview the folks over at Exxon/Mobile - ya know the evil "big oil" company who continues to spend a lot of time and effort developing cost effective bio fuels as well. It only makes sense think of the value of that technology if perfected…. a lost cost bio fuel would be worth a fortune.

The reason why, and excuse my cynicism, that wouldn't fit the CBS narrative of "big oil" = evil.
The story was about a guy who devoted his whole life to developing a new energy source that would also protect the health of the planet. Making money was not his objective. Watch the show!
I think we can all determine that Exxon-Mobil and "big oil" is none of that! They only develop new technology when forced to do so by government regulations, which have been stripped away by the new administration. Otherwise they would just strip the planet of all it's natural resources just to increase profits.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #30
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
The story was about a guy who devoted his whole life to developing a new energy source that would also protect the health of the planet. Making money was not his objective. Watch the show!
I think we can all determine that Exxon-Mobil and "big oil" is none of that! They only develop new technology when forced to do so by government regulations, which have been stripped away by the new administration. Otherwise they would just strip the planet of all it's natural resources just to increase profits.
Government regulation is not needed for anyone to see the value of a low cost sustainable bio fuel. It's the holy grail of the energy industry.

Over and needless regulation of the oil industry and what the current administration is doing about that is a both a geo political and domestic economic discussion that frankly you wouldn't understand.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #31
Biggd

Thumbs down

Quote:
Government regulation is not needed for anyone to see the value of a low cost sustainable bio fuel. It's the holy grail of the energy industry.

Over and needless regulation of the oil industry and what the current administration is doing about that is a both a geo political and domestic economic discussion that frankly you wouldn't understand.
If you say so, it must be true. Imagine, someone doing something for the sole purpose of helping the environment and not for money. Must be fake news, LOL!

Last edited by Biggd; 01-18-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #32
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
...that frankly you wouldn't understand.
Awesome.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #33
Patofnaud

When I was younger we didn't have plastic straws, they were paper. They fell apart halfway through your milk carton, so we went to plastic.

So one picture of a turtle with a plastic straw stuck in its nose and the world flips and laws are made. RSA-Kneejerk-101.

If you gonna get rid of straws, then solo cups and all plastic products should be on the list. Else it is just a show.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Patofnaud For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-19-2019), Bernie Girl (01-19-2019), gravy boat (01-19-2019), pault842 (01-19-2019), Seaplane Pilot (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #34
swnoel

Don't worry... now that Democrats have been elected, they'll fix these problems and also ones they create with more taxpayer money! Another solution is to bring your own plates, utensils, etc... then demand the food be discounted!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:38 AM   #35
ApS

Exclamation "For The Chil'ren"...

Quote:
Oh well I didn’t want t the thread to be a huge environmental discussion just thought it was nice to see local companies trying to be proactive and I’m always concerned about the long term welfare of the lake.
Yup...me too.

I can't tell you how many plastic straws I've pulled out of the lake!

>
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #36
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Don't worry... now that Democrats have been elected, they'll fix these problems and also ones they create with more taxpayer money! Another solution is to bring your own plates, utensils, etc... then demand the food be discounted!
Really what needs to happen is all restaurants be banned. Think of how much food is wasted, how much trash is generated, how much energy is wasted producing inefficiently individual meals. The whole thing is utterly and completely shameful. Shut them all down. Problem solved.

In fact as Nancy Pelosi would say they are IMMORAL.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #37
Greene's Basin Girl

I purchased some metal straws. I bring them to the restaurant when I go out to eat.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #38
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
I purchased some metal straws. I bring them to the restaurant when I go out to eat.
Great minds think alike, I did the same thing.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #39
phoenix

Good for them but hope at some time they figure how to make paper straws last more than ten minutes
jbolty (02-05-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #40
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Good for them but hope at some time they figure how to make paper straws last more than ten minutes
Just put plastic over the paper.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #41
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Give the straw a light coating of wax.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #42
Rusty

I get a chuckle when I get a nonplastic straw at the beginning of a meal and than get a styrofoam takeout container to bring leftovers home.
I'd rather see a way of collecting plastic straws so they get recycled instead of banning them.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #43
Major

Default Common Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I get a chuckle when I get a nonplastic straw at the beginning of a meal and than get a styrofoam takeout container to bring leftovers home.
I'd rather see a way of collecting plastic straws so they get recycled instead of banning them.
Rusty and I actually agree on something! The plastic straw movement, so to speak, is wholly and completely a feel-good exercise. It makes little if no difference. Like Rusty, I'd rather see greater efforts made in preventing littering or encouraging recycling than banning things like plastic straws and plastic bags that make our lives easier. I just read that five nations in the Pacific (China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam) dump more plastic in the ocean than the rest of the world combined. This isn't an excuse to do nothing; however, we shouldn't destroy our economy or our way of life just to feel good about ourselves.

On a related note, I had a paper straw for the first time in my life last week. It broke down after 20 or so minutes, but the thing that I didn't like, and will take some getting used to, was the gritty texture. I guess I'm use to smooth straws.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (02-08-2019), Crusty (02-08-2019)