Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
AltonGuy

Default Good first Snowmobile Trail near the big lake?

Hello! Looking to take the wife on a snowmobile ride this weekend and wondering if anyone can suggest a trail and location for us to go on that is beginner oriented? I am looking within a 60 min driving range from Alton ideally. We have a trailer to get us there too. Just want to make sure it makes for a positive first experience for my wife and we are not scaling cliffs lol. That would surely put a shadow on any future trips! Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
AltonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltonGuy For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (01-01-2020)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Take the trails out of Alton that go right up the back side of Mt Major. Nice riding in there and not busy either. The trail head is right near the boat ramp in Alton and works it's way between the houses. Once you hit the high country there are some great places to take in some views!

Corridor 22 is a nice ride heading east into New Durham and eventually out towards Brookfield. Snow conditions are everything though.

Everyone would say take her up the Castle trail but that when the conditions are reasonably good are pretty busy, not best for a beginner! It's a great ride but you'll want to get used to riding and handling a sled before going out in an area that's crowded. Some riders can be impatient with beginners! Once you have the hang of it defiantly do that ride provides nice views!

https://maps.topographics.org/hosted/nhsa/

The above link you can zoom in and see the primary trails. The trail I'm speaking of is NOT on this map.

If you want to take a little ride, the Baker River Valley system is awesome, they are about a 40 minute ride from Alton. Was there last weekend and it was pretty epic! Funny that area was BURIED in snow and everyone is driving all the way up to Twin and Pittsburg!
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
ultrarider

If we get the snow forecast ed, than any trail mentioned will be great after grooming of course. I live in Wolfeboro, and I often go down the tracks into Brookfield, over to Moose Mnt., to the Powdermill trails, New Durham, to Johnson's Seafood. When conditions are good, it's a nice ride. About 55 miles round trip.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
Blyblvrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Take the trails out of Alton that go right up the back side of Mt Major. Nice riding in there and not busy either. The trail head is right near the boat ramp in Alton and works it's way between the houses. Once you hit the high country there are some great places to take in some views!

Corridor 22 is a nice ride heading east into New Durham and eventually out towards Brookfield. Snow conditions are everything though.

Everyone would say take her up the Castle trail but that when the conditions are reasonably good are pretty busy, not best for a beginner! It's a great ride but you'll want to get used to riding and handling a sled before going out in an area that's crowded. Some riders can be impatient with beginners! Once you have the hang of it defiantly do that ride provides nice views!

The above link you can zoom in and see the primary trails. The trail I'm speaking of is NOT on this map.

If you want to take a little ride, the Baker River Valley system is awesome, they are about a 40 minute ride from Alton. Was there last weekend and it was pretty epic! Funny that area was BURIED in snow and everyone is driving all the way up to Twin and Pittsburg!

Totally agree with Maxum. Last Saturday we hit Baker river valley trails and they were amazing. Great job by the club and groomers!

I saw sleds on the lake today in moultonborough too!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Blyblvrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #5
AltonGuy

Quote:

Thanks so much for the info. The wife likes the sound of the Mt Major trails. May try that one. The Baker River Valley ones sound great too. How does one access those? Thank you!

Sent from my LGLS755 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Prestige Worldwide (01-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2019, 09:46 PM   #6
MAXUM

Best access is to park right at the club house, in fact there are two lots there. The club house is located at the following address 197 N Dorchester Rd, Wentworth, NH 03282

Their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...6308462775626/

Their club house is a great place to stop, warm up and get some good eats... they even have WIFI.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:03 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Maybe getting there is not the greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonGuy View Post
Thanks so much for the info. The wife likes the sound of the Mt Major trails. May try that one. The Baker River Valley ones sound great too. How does one access those? Thank you!

Getting to Mt Major can be a little interesting. A section of the D trail between Alton Mt Rd and Jesus Valley rd is closed and requires a detour it to Rand Hill Rd, traveling on the edge of the road and some "rustic" trail sections, part of which ruins through my property. Trail is fairly bumpy and narrow. It does get groomed. Once you cross the road and start climbing up the hill to rejoin the original D trail, it should smooth out.

Take it slow and easy.

Dave
Old 01-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
burgerunh

Start at White Lake State Park and head into the white mountain national forest. There is some nice trails in there!
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #9
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerunh View Post
Start at White Lake State Park and head into the white mountain national forest. There is some nice trails in there!
I thought there was a major trail closure up there in Tamworth that may not allow for that. Landowner closed access which really screwed up that area, may want to check on that. It happened recently maybe even this year.

I don't know the specifics all I know is that the trail system in that area took a big hit as a result.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #10
SAB1

Pretty sure Maxum is right. I believe they also have a groomer down for repairs in that area.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Ossipee snowmobile club

Quote:
I thought there was a major trail closure up there in Tamworth that may not allow for that. Landowner closed access which really screwed up that area, may want to check on that. It happened recently maybe even this year.

I don't know the specifics all I know is that the trail system in that area took a big hit as a result.
Info regarding Ossipee club trails from the NH Snowmobile Assoc.:

75% of trails open and groomed with moderate to good conditions. James Pond Loop CLOSED per landowner, no connection to White Lake. Rail road tracks groomed but rails are showing – use CAUTION!

Dave
Old 01-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Good first Snowmobile Trail near the big lake?

Didn’t want to start a new thread. Does anyone know how the Belknap trails are? They used to post all their information here such as conditions and trail work parties but have not seen anything this season

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by joey2665; 01-18-2019 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Belknap Trails
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #13
burgerunh

I did not realize this. I just knew that I had done it in that past and that it had good snow cover(when coverage was minimal at lower elevations) and that it was a nice ride. Good to know thanks!

Quote:

burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:17 PM   #14
AltonGuy

Quote:

Wanted to thank everyone again for their suggestions. I took Maxum's suggestion on Baker River Valley this past Saturday. We headed up mid morning and found the area easily. In summary, this place is a gem. We were very impressed with the club house and how super friendly everyone was. A worker even moved his car for me so I could park in the club house parking lot (it was pretty busy). The trails are awesome and there was certainly no shortage of snow. Trails were clearly marked and were maintained really well. Loved the power line trails as they had good elevation and some twists and turns! We liked it so much that we became members! We will definitely be back. This place made for a great impression with my wife too. Thanks again for the suggestions and Baker River Valley is highly endorsed by us!!Name:  Resized_20190119_130611_001.jpeg
Views: 1517
Size:  51.2 KBName:  20190119_142804.jpeg
Views: 1678
Size:  35.4 KB

raydoe1 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #15
MAXUM

Awesome glad you had a good ride!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
Blstr88

Parking at Moose Mtn in Brookfield and doing the loop through the evergreen valley trail system is a great ride too.
Blstr88 is offline   Reply With Quote