Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
nhjenny
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Need a plumber at Island house

I finally got here to open up our house on Sleeperís Island. Trying to get water up and running, but we have had a break in a 1/2 copper line from freezing (first time thatís ever happened). This line just goes to a main floor toilet, but there is no valve to shut off the line, so we canít turn on the water. Does anyone have suggestions for someone who could fix this, even better if it could be done today?? Left a message with Island services, looking for additional options. TIA!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
nhjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
MDoug
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 244
Thanks: 86
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Default plumber

Call Archie at 603-387-3168

He is our favorite over the years!
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 1,390
Thanks: 306
Thanked 206 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhjenny View Post
I finally got here to open up our house on Sleeper’s Island. Trying to get water up and running, but we have had a break in a 1/2 copper line from freezing (first time that’s ever happened). This line just goes to a main floor toilet, but there is no valve to shut off the line, so we can’t turn on the water. Does anyone have suggestions for someone who could fix this, even better if it could be done today?? Left a message with Island services, looking for additional options. TIA!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
They have DIY quick connectors now at most big hardware stores. A couple of quick connect unions, no soldering, a piece of copper pipe, a tubing cutter and you can fix it pretty quick yourself. Better still, make one of those unions a shut off valve.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 2,408
Thanks: 752
Thanked 1,275 Times in 590 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
They have DIY quick connectors now at most big hardware stores. A couple of quick connect unions, no soldering, a piece of copper pipe, a tubing cutter and you can fix it pretty quick yourself. Better still, make one of those unions a shut off valve.
Exactly. Go to a hardware store and ask someone in plumbing dept exactly what you need. Add a small pack of steel wool to clean each short section of pipe that the quick connect valve or union is pressed onto.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182685

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182685

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BrassCraft-...tter/999903185
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,898
Thanks: 539
Thanked 512 Times in 298 Posts
Default

What're the thoughts on quick connect fittings today? Used to be that they should only be used temporarily or for exposed applications.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
swnoel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 213
Thanks: 21
Thanked 53 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Use one of these... they're pretty simple!
https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ing/1000182579
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
swnoel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 213
Thanks: 21
Thanked 53 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
What're the thoughts on quick connect fittings today? Used to be that they should only be used temporarily or for exposed applications.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
They're considered a permanent repair.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,974
Thanks: 587
Thanked 670 Times in 412 Posts
Default

This video is what I think you might want to consider. It is code compliant and easy to do.

__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
SteveO123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wrentham MA/Laconia NH
Posts: 106
Thanks: 277
Thanked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhjenny View Post
I finally got here to open up our house on Sleeperís Island. Trying to get water up and running, but we have had a break in a 1/2 copper line from freezing (first time thatís ever happened). This line just goes to a main floor toilet, but there is no valve to shut off the line, so we canít turn on the water. Does anyone have suggestions for someone who could fix this, even better if it could be done today?? Left a message with Island services, looking for additional options. TIA!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app


I second (third, fourth?) the Shark/Gator Solutions.. It sounds like you need to cap the broken line to be able to turn the water on for the rest of the house.(?). If so, cut the line and snap a cap on the line until you can get a plumber there...then you can manually fill the toilet tank as needed to flush. Cost you less than $20 even if you need to buy a pipe cutter.
Good luck!
Steve
SteveO123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
feb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Meredith (Winnisquam) & Nashua, NH
Posts: 186
Thanks: 9
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Default Still good for under house?

any opinions if this approach is good for a situation where camp is up on piers, pipes are exposed to freezing temps. Sure the pipes are drained via gravity but a little bit of water, a little bit of plastic and freezing temps make me think they may not stand up too long.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
Rusty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,974
Thanks: 587
Thanked 670 Times in 412 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post
any opinions if this approach is good for a situation where camp is up on piers, pipes are exposed to freezing temps. Sure the pipes are drained via gravity but a little bit of water, a little bit of plastic and freezing temps make me think they may not stand up too long.
I have outside sharkbite fittings that have been exposed to -20 deg's during the winter months & they haven't cracked or leaked when I turn the water on in the spring. These fittings are unbelievable.
__________________
It's never crowded along the extra mile.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:27 AM   #12
Grady223
Senior Member
 
Grady223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Hope, PA & Barndoor Island
Posts: 460
Thanks: 92
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhjenny View Post
I finally got here to open up our house on Sleeperís Island. Trying to get water up and running, but we have had a break in a 1/2 copper line from freezing (first time thatís ever happened). This line just goes to a main floor toilet, but there is no valve to shut off the line, so we canít turn on the water. Does anyone have suggestions for someone who could fix this, even better if it could be done today?? Left a message with Island services, looking for additional options. TIA!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app


Tim Sullivan 603-630-6505.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:29 AM   #13
Prestige Worldwide
Member
 
Prestige Worldwide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: M-Vegas & Lake Winni
Posts: 30
Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhjenny View Post
I finally got here to open up our house on Sleeperís Island. Trying to get water up and running, but we have had a break in a 1/2 copper line from freezing (first time thatís ever happened). This line just goes to a main floor toilet, but there is no valve to shut off the line, so we canít turn on the water. Does anyone have suggestions for someone who could fix this, even better if it could be done today?? Left a message with Island services, looking for additional options. TIA!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app


Call Nick at 603-582-1553
This is his cell#. He has a Baja outlaw on the water on Long Island. It's set up for Plumbing service calls and rapid response to island properties on Winnipesaukee.

http://bellemoreplumbing.com

Name:  IMG_0566.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  154.4 KBName:  IMG_0565.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  79.8 KB
Prestige Worldwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:21 AM   #14
swnoel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 213
Thanks: 21
Thanked 53 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb View Post
any opinions if this approach is good for a situation where camp is up on piers, pipes are exposed to freezing temps. Sure the pipes are drained via gravity but a little bit of water, a little bit of plastic and freezing temps make me think they may not stand up too long.
Just curious if you've had problems with this current situation? The company I worked for would never guarantee just blowing lines out or gravity , we'd install RV antifreeze in the entire system and have never had a failure due to this solution. We've used hundreds of sharkbite fittings in areas below freezing with no consequences to the fitting.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #15
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,350
Thanks: 405
Thanked 376 Times in 234 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhjenny View Post
I finally got here to open up our house on Sleeper’s Island. Trying to get water up and running, but we have had a break in a 1/2 copper line from freezing (first time that’s ever happened). This line just goes to a main floor toilet, but there is no valve to shut off the line, so we can’t turn on the water. Does anyone have suggestions for someone who could fix this, even better if it could be done today?? Left a message with Island services, looking for additional options. TIA!
I hope you'll let us know how things worked out. This is a tough time of year to get somebody to an island on short notice

They may not yet be open, but I bet if you ask around, you'll find many islanders have developed some handy skills. You might also be surprised at the parts inventory that exists in those sheds behind the camp, as well as specialty tools.
I had a boat sink at the dock once (pinholes in the bellows) and shortly after we arrived a friend showed up with a jack intended to level his boat house, and a couple of extra pumps.. We lifted it to gunwales at water level and had a drink while we watched the pumps work. Easy. Who knew?
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.14686 seconds