Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
baygo

Default When do you want golf to start?

This is my first Spring in the LR.

As I hit my first bucket of golf balls on my golf range in Laconia toady, I could not help but wonder when to open for the season. When do the golfers want to start loosening up around here?
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Golf to start...

I like to see golf start yesterday!

Seriously, this warm weather has me itching for golf. I spend some of my "work time" calling on customers on Cape Cod. I'm thinking of bringing my clubs on my next trip in two weeks.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Past time for start up

Our course (Farmington) closed in Nov, and I (we) have been ready to play since then. Drove by the other day after the rain, and it looks like they faired quite well, no flooding.

I started working out in late January, trying to lose the spare tire(s) I have been carrying around, and even started to do some exercised to try to strengthen the golf swing, and increase flexibility. However, having just had another one of those birthdays, I'm not sure just how successful the flexibility training will be.

Bottom line, now is the time to start working on the muscles, do some practice swinging, and then go hit a bucket.

BTW Baygo, on your side of the lake, Lochmere in Tilton is great, Waukewan in Merideth is very good, and Pheasant Ridge in Gilford is nice. All are 18 hole courses and are usually maintained in good to great shape. Keep it in the short grass.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
jmen24

Well, for the last five years in a row Loudon CC has been the first course fully open (carts, everything, no temp greens) in the Concord and Lakes Region and I have played the opening weekend every year since starting playing, it is usually the first or second weekend in April. Granted that course was built over an old gravel deposit and drains really well, some wet spots but the overall course of play is not interupted.

Many of the other courses around me do not open until late April or into May, that is way to late. I play on a full swing simulator all winter to keep the rust off and a trip to Florida next week will get me outside.

Basically, I will play golf in 40 degree temps with a wind, but I would like to stay as dry as possible. If the course is holding water, then hold off till it can be walked (for the most part). Temp greens are fine as long as you have the location for them, sand traps should not be ponds, but a couple here and there are OK, clearly mark these areas as winter grounds as well as any really soupy spots in the fairway, rough the're on their own. I would refrain from doing what some courses do and keep the roped off areas to a minimum, as you know, some folks have serious target fixation regarding hazards and for the life of them cannot hit past a hazard, always directly into it.

Baygo, send me a PM, I will come out and play it with you and tell you if it is ready!!!!
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Saw a guy, all dressed like Greg Norman 'the shark' w/ a black Greg Norman hat, driving golfballs on the Waukewan Golf Course hole up top of the hill, close by the road, yesterday afternoon.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Ryan

Yesterday was the first golf day for me on the South Shore of Mass.

Course was open with no temp greens and a few temp tees. Conditions were wet to wetter. Lots of balls lost, plugged in the fairways and rough alike. Greens were soft and borderline unreadable!!!

Can't wait until I can bring the sticks up!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
jmen24

Of course this figures, Loudon is opening this Wednesday and I am leaving Saturday for Florida, so the streak will be broken of playing opening weekend.

But I figured I would add the date as a for reference. Go play a round this weekend Baygo, then gauge your course against this one.

You really cannot open early enough for Northern New England golfers, the trick is to get them to come back next week, that is where course conditions matter.

Some will cry and whine that it is two cold, hogwash, get out and get it done.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
baygo

Default Range is ready, not the course

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post

Go play a round this weekend Baygo, then gauge your course against this one.

My course is no where near ready to open.

I am wondering about when to open the range.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Last time I hit a golf ball was at the beautifull, outdoor Funspot driving range which closed maybe ten years ago with the untimely death of Ron Gilkey. If you open your range, I'll probably be there!

Probably see one or two golf-starved locals crawl in....seeing some bling in the old cash register never hurts....maybe a nice brite 'range open' sign out by the road...
Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
Island Life

Quote:
My course is no where near ready to open.

If it's warm enough to be outside, it's warm enough for the range to be open! The sooner the better.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #11
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life View Post
If it's warm enough to be outside, it's warm enough for the range to be open! The sooner the better.
I can't say I disagree with this way of thinking. There is a melting snow bank between the parking lot and the teeing area. I think we should let it finish melting first. I'm watching the weather forecasts very close.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #12
jmen24

Quote:
I can't say I disagree with this way of thinking. There is a melting snow bank between the parking lot and the teeing area. I think we should let it finish melting first. I'm watching the weather forecasts very close.
Take a rake or shovel to the snow bank in the afternoon of one of these warm days and just toss the snow around it will be gone faster that way, probably by the weekend.

The good test for the range being ready would be to take a cart out on the range, if it sinks or encounters water or whatever, hold off. I am assuming that you have a cart mounted picker, if you cannot pick the balls up, then wait till you can.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #13
Ryan

How is the snow cover in the area? How close are Pheasant Ridge or Lochmere to opening day?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #14
beaner

Sagamore-Hampton has an outdoor, year-round driving range on Route 1-A. They are also making an effort to open the front 9 for walking as conditions allow:

Sagamore ENews
Sagamore-Hampton Golf Club
101 North Road, North Hampton, New Hampshire
603-964-5341 / info@sagamoregolf.com

FRONT-9 to Open Thursday, March 11th, 2010
*Opening time thru March will be 8:00 am
*Reduced winter rates in effect until further notice
*Walking only until further notice
*Temporary green in play on the 5th hole

Super Important Note!
Due to the inclement weekend forecast, the 'open status' of the course is DAY TO DAY for the upcoming week. The sensitive ground conditions make it possible for us to be open one day and closed the next...
Call daily to confirm course status 603-964-5341
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
How is the snow cover in the area? How close are Pheasant Ridge or Lochmere to opening day?
Just got this email that answers my question!

-------------------------------------
WE ARE OPENING!!!
PHEASANT RIDGE GOLF CLUB

Spring Back into Golf

FRIDAY, MARCH 12TH

We will have 9 holes (currently just walking) and the ALL grass tee driving range open!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default A sure sign of spring

Here is my sure sign of spring and impending golf...

The practice net is up. Let the games begin .
Old 03-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
Seeker

Province Lake Golf's driving range is opening Saturday. The course itself still looks pretty wet.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #18
Ryan

Has anybody been out to play yet? I'm curious how the recent storms have affected the early season conditions around lakes region courses?

I know here in Mass, I've played twice. Once course (pre storm) was already VERY wet. Shots in the fairway would plug and disappear.
I played again yesterday and this local muny held up VERY well through the rain.

I'm hoping if the conditions allow, to do a morning ski and afternoon golf!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
jmen24

Well, I played Loudon on Sunday and short of the amount of wind that did not seem to quit, it was great to get out. The course is in winter thaw state, meaning no mowing, but very little to no dead spots, I saw two roped sections of fairway that were wet that are not usually. No temp greens, greens were moderate to fast and required a well placed approach with some check in order to hold the surface. Rough was tight and played like fairway, not a ton of roll out on the fairway, but most holes were hitting into a stiff "breeze", so anything somewhat high fell like a stone.

All in all the season is underway at a fantastic early start. After this rain and some sun the courses in the area that are free of snow are going to look great. As long as the course took the time to remove the ice off the greens during the winter to prevent root kill, we should see a nice extended season.

Bring you own supplies, do not expect to get tees or balls at the course unless they have some left overs, most courses (in this area) do not order thinking a start date prior to mid April.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Ryan (03-30-2010)