Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
dmjr

Default Type of Boat

I am looking into expanding my services within my property management business to include island property management. What would be a good reccomendation for a boat? Any feedback would be great. Thank you
Old 03-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Island Life

dmjr, what kind of services do you think you'll be offering to island residents? I'd love to get your card. Don't know what kind of boat to recommend but I suspect it should be a real junker, something you don't mind hauling old refrigerator and stoves in and out of, etc.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
dmjr

Island Life,

Here is the link to my website of services that I currently provide to land customers. (www.donnybrookhome.com) Please feel free to call (603-284-7343) or email me. I have been thinking about expanding to the water for quite some time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank You
Old 03-18-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
camp guy

Default Type of boat ...

Before you invest in a boat, you might look around at other island service providers and see what is being used. Also, you may want to decide how you are going to actually provide these services. For instance, moving bulky items, heavy items, lumber, building supplies, etc., may require a barge, but before you run out and buy a barge, you might find a barge service operator already on the Lake and you use him as a sub-contractor. The same would hold true for septic tank pump out services. Rather than actually doing the service, you would be the expiditer between the customer and the provider. If you plan to offer home cleaning services, arrange with the customer to use their materials and equipment, thereby eliminating the need for you to haul all that stuff around. Same plan for outside care. From time to time you might need equipment an owner may not have, then you have to make a new plan. As far as the actual boat goes, several thoughts come to mind. You certainly need something very seaworthy, something with a dry storage space, a reliable motor, and outside storage/haulk space if you do need to transport a bulky item. You also will need to look into insurance very carefully, especially if you are transporting people and there is money involved. I don't pretend to know about these things, but you should certainly have a very careful talk with your insurance agent. A couple of handshakes and a couple of laughs between you and a client will not cut it if you should have an accident (heaven forbid, seriously). Also, you will need a shore base for the boat, one that will also allow vehicle parking for you and others involved with you. I wish you the very best of luck.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
dmjr

I have taken the insurance issue very seriously. Right now I have been having informal discussions with my agent about. If I was to provide an island property management service, I would only limit myself to just bring out specialized contractors, I would not get involved in transporting loads of lumber, equipment, etc. In a nut shell, I would treat the island service like I treat my land service as being a "organization dedicated to providing turnkey services" Thank you for advice.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
islandAl

Default island needs

With your land based services, delivery of bulk items is not a common issue. With islands it is the key issue and what I need the assistance with. I would think that most islanders have the transportation to get the people (service workers) back and forth, but it is perhaps their specialized equipment or the delivery of a new sofa or refrigerator (and removal of the old) that some other floating means of transportation is needed.
Perhaps a large size pontoon boat would do for 90% with the lumber left to the major barges already in business.
Good luck and I have copied down your number.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
dmjr

After doing lots of research, I have decided that I would be better off with a pontoon boat to offer island property management services. How much would I be looking to spend for a 2-4 year old pontoon boat? Thank You.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
jceria

Default Size and HP?

You probably want something rather large and also decent horse power.
It's a BIG lake at only 12mph! Loading up a smaller or midsize pontoon boat with a lot of weight will sink the pontoons deep into the water, the slightest chop will have your deck being constantly washed!!!!