Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Hoosier

Default Old kerosene lanterns

My grandson collects old kerosene lanterns, with a special interest in those made by Dietz and lanterns that were used by railroad brakemen and conductors.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Didn't Chronicle do a show once with a guy that made his own lanterns. It was like a family affair with his son or daughter designing them on a computer etc...Some of them were huge. I forgot the name though. I have an old railroad style lantern that has to be 100 years old and it still works like a charm. Can't say that about many light bulbs I have owned....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Lanterns

Pictures would be great! There must have been many makers in NH and the Lakes Region.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Hoosier

Default To Lakesrider

Would you sell your lantern?
Hoosier
Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Water Camper

Default Ham's Gem Cold Blast

Does your grandson know anything about Ham lanterns? I have one marked Gem Side Lamp made by C.T. Ham Mfg. Co. Rochester NY. Also marked Gem Cold Blast and Ham's Gem. It has a wide plate on the front with a big round, red glass piece inset on that front. I'd guess it was a railroad lantern. Appears to be all original and never used. Thanks.
Sue
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
Hoosier (08-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Hoosier

Default To Water Camper

I'll check, Sue, to find out what he can tell us about the Ham lantern.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Hoosier

Default To water camper

My grandson says:

The C.T. Ham MFG Co. made lanterns between 1876 and 1914. The lantern she is talking about is not a railroad lantern, but is actually what is referred to as a "carriage" or "buggy" lantern. The plate mentioned with the red glass inserted in it is actually the back of the lantern and not the front. There should be a spring clip on the side of the lantern. You would use that spring clip to attach this lantern to the side of a carriage or wagon, and it would be used as a combination head light/tail light.

For it to be all original, the entire lantern should be painted black except for the inside of the reflector plate which should have a shiny tin finish. The burner, as well as the cone that sits over the burner, should be solid brass. The clear globe for this lantern should either be unmarked or have the name "HAM" on it. Any other name on the glass is incorrect for the lantern.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Water Camper

Default Thanks!

He has described it to the letter and I appreciate him checking on it! It makes a nice display lantern.
Sue
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
ApS

Wink More Thunder Storms Needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
My grandson collects old kerosene lanterns, with a special interest in those made by Dietz and lanterns that were used by railroad brakemen and conductors.
I had collected two interesting Dietz lanterns. A full-size Dietz had a magnifying lens in front of the flame—perhaps for the purpose of a "flood lamp". Similar to this one, but with the lens adjustable, and on the outside of the globe.

Another had a dark red globe—perhaps for signaling trains. (Like this one).

I sold them both at $8 each—doubling my money!

(What a killing I made! )

Realtors now term our cottage as "rustic", so it seems appropriate to have a genuine antique "bracket" lamp mounted on the wall. "Bracket" lamps can come equipped with a hollow parabolic mirror behind it, and swivels against its wall-mounting to direct much more light around. 'Trouble is, we seldom have time to light it before the lights come back on!

Reproductions of "Bracket" lamps are everywhere on the Web.

Just to brighten a dark corner—even unlit—we have this modern brass wall lantern made in Holland.

On most seldom-used kerosene lamps, if you turn the wick way down, the fuel supply can last for many years.

Scented—or colored—lamp "oils" are available.

Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 10-04-2013 at 09:43 AM.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I have two of the second ones, APS, on a wall in my house. But they are electric.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Cool!

ApS, hanks for sharing pictures of your lanterns. They are great!!!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #12
Smith Point

Default Railroad Lanterns

I think it is great that your grandson has the interest in railroad memorabilia. I do have two lanterns Arlington Derssel is the name and US. Let me know if you are interested and we can chat further. maine5js@aol.com, Thank you
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
Justenuff

Default Meredith Antiques

When I was up for vacation this year, we stopped into one of the antique stores downtown Meredith to scrounge around.
Since both my grandfathers were employed by the Rock Island Line in the 30's, 40's and 50's, I am always on the lookout for railroad memorbilia. Most I can't afford, but I always thought that having a couple of signal lanterns that my grandfather would have used would be great.
I took a look at the selection that the store had, of old and somewhat reproduction lanterns, but was shocked by the fact that some of them went for $50. The cheapest was $14.
I was hoping to get a couple, to hang in my outdoor kitchen, but I guess I'll have to look a little farther.
I would love to get a caboose lantern (I think that's what he called it) that was hung on the last car of the train to signal the end. When you are sitting at the crossing waiting for the end of a 2 mile train, it was always a welcome site.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote