Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Sunset View

Default Village Kitchen

For years we have been going to the VK. Of late I am concerned as I see very little business at the VK while the Bob House is packing them in.

The VK still has great food and the service is fabulous......of late however, I have seen a dramatic reduction of the portions. Recently I had the steak tips and the meal came in a small plate and was not fulfilling at all. Same too for the chicken finger plate; clearly portion sizing is down and serving size has seen a reduction. While we are loyal to the VK, we did try the Bob House and the portions were dramatically more significant and the qualiity of the burgers, fries, salads and appetizers in general were outstanding...come on VK...we're pulling for you!!!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Charlie T

Default Gotta Disagree

I was at the VK 2 weeks ago for Breakfast, The food, quality and portion size were just as good as always. I don't believe for a second that anyone is cutting back there.

When I see a post such as the one above I think there is a not so hidden agenda

\VK is the BEST. Keep up the good work

Charlie T

Last edited by Charlie T; 03-19-2012 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added an additional thought
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
HomeWood

We went to the VK around derby time. We couldn't have been happier with both visits.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View View Post
For years we have been going to the VK. Of late I am concerned as I see very little business at the VK while the Bob House is packing them in.
My wife and I do enjoy the Bob House when the Dining Room is open Thursday - Saturday, but some times the meals can be hit or miss. I do think what pulls customers in is the BAR. I was once told that the number of cars in the parking lot can be deceiving. A lot of customers come by themselves, not 2 to four in a single car?

You can not beet the 2 egg cheese omelet and "REAL" home fries at the VK!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
NickNH

I love them both (VK and Bob House)......
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Hermit Cover

Default Top Down Quality and Service

I've always found the food and service to be a sure thing at the VK.....I need help with my Farmers Breakfast....tooo much food....and the price can't be beat. The lunch portions are always lunch sized and the dinners usually come in two sizes (Turkey)....I guess I need to eat there more than 4 or 5 times a week to be hyper-critical...I love the place.... and the staff.... always attentive..... from the kitchen to the dining room! VK rocks IMHO!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Pontoon Goon

Default Posts like this make me sick to my stomach

Quote:

The VK still has great food and the service is fabulous......of late however, I have seen a dramatic reduction of the portions. Recently I had the steak tips and the meal came in a small plate and was not fulfilling at all. Same too for the chicken finger plate; clearly portion sizing is down and serving size has seen a reduction. While we are loyal to the VK, we did try the Bob House and the portions were dramatically more significant and the qualiity of the burgers, fries, salads and appetizers in general were outstanding...come on VK...we're pulling for you!!!!!
Really Sunset View, (we're pulling for you !!!!!). Charlie T. hit it right on the head, you didn't hide your agenda well at all. As a matter of fact I would bet dollars to donuts you are the same poster who whined about the chicken parm last year.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

I do not eat dinner at the VK, but eat plenty of other meals there. The portions or quality have not slid.

Love the VK!!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
Sunset View

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon View Post
Really Sunset View, (we're pulling for you !!!!!). Charlie T. hit it right on the head, you didn't hide your agenda well at all. As a matter of fact I would bet dollars to donuts you are the same poster who whined about the chicken parm last year.
No Agenda, as I noted, we are pulling for the VK, just an honest observation....Chicken parm at the VK? I think not, never been on the menu in my 28 years going there....but I would try it if it were offered! You and Charlie T must have had your chicken parm at the Bob House.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
kchadw

Default location of restaurants

Happy Thursday everyone....
( my first message here at the forum..)

I've been reading about the different " good restaurants " .

My wife and dogs and I will be coming north from Fl. to my home state of N.H. this summer and plan on staying in our motor home somewhere near the lake so will be visiting restaurants for a few months...Could someone tell me what town or village these restaurants are located in....

Also, any leads on where we might find some seasonal work or where to look to find any. We both are experienced in Bus. Mgmt. and have worked as a team for 20 years...transportation and medical fields are also strong in out backgrounds...thanks...
I read the forum almost daily and enjoy it very much...thank you for the little pleasures in life...lol

Last edited by kchadw; 03-22-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
SIKSUKR

Restaurants are in Moultonborough.You should start your own thread about asking for other info.
kchadw (03-22-2012), TiltonBB (03-26-2012), WakeboardMom (03-22-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
Shreddy

I love the VK and the Farmer's breakfast will never get old to me. I don't think the portions have slid, however, the price has gone up drastically in the past few years. As it stands now, I still think it's worth the price, but it hurts when it comes to over $10 now because everything cost extra (flavored pancakes, cheese on the eggs, etc.). Again, it won't stop me anytime soon, I simply remember when this meal was significantly cheaper. Then again, what isn't going up in price lately?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Hermit Cover

Default VK Prices increasing???

I haven't noticed that the prices on the VK menu.....or any other restaurant in the Lakes Region for that matter....have increased.

I am surprised because I haven't noticed that food prices have increased in our local grocery markets........ ...What? You say they have? Oh!

With fuel prices on the rise I am much more concerned with a report that is coming up saying that Exxon will report a 15 BILLION Dollar profit for the latest quarter.....???? Fuel profits raise food costs to the consumer.....the restaurant goer.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Just noticed your post Sunset and wanted to address some of your comments. We definitely have not cut any portions......I'm guessing that my new "point of sales" system might have printed out a small instead of large order because it was served on smaller plate.In any case,I promise to check that out and fix it the minute I get back (on vacation right now) although it sounds like you have warmer weather than we do.
We very much appreciate the heads up........we might never know about problems

without a little constructive criticism
As far as business goes,we are down just a few % points from last year due losing our snowmobilers,so things are pretty much normal.
The Bob House is a great place....many of our customers go back and forth and many of my crew love to hang out there, also.They are quite different than we are......they have a full bar and more relaxed dining...we are more of a comfort food kind of place and I think we compliment each other rather than compete.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BraunBayGuy (06-01-2015), hazelnut (03-23-2012), jeffk (03-23-2012), jkjoshuatree (03-23-2012), Lakewinn1 (03-27-2012), Miss Theresa (12-17-2015), NickNH (03-23-2012), Pontoon Goon (03-23-2012), Sunbeam lodge (12-04-2012), Sunset View (03-26-2012), TiltonBB (03-26-2012), VitaBene (03-23-2012), WakeboardMom (03-23-2012), Winnisquamguy (03-23-2012), WINNOCTURN (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #15
Newbiesaukee

I may not always agree with Samiam on the Forum...but he is always honest and to -the -point. He runs the VK the same way and the VK (and its crew) are the thing I miss most about the Lake when we are not there.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 03-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default VK Charity

VK donated a spaghetti supper this evening to support Gilford USROBOTICS team. Congratulations to the team on winning the Regional. They are heading to the World Championship!
KPW (03-24-2012), WakeboardMom (03-24-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #17
Sunset View

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Just noticed your post Sunset and wanted to address some of your comments. We definitely have not cut any portions......I'm guessing that my new "point of sales" system might have printed out a small instead of large order because it was served on smaller plate.In any case,I promise to check that out and fix it the minute I get back (on vacation right now) although it sounds like you have warmer weather than we do.
We very much appreciate the heads up........we might never know about problems

without a little constructive criticism
As far as business goes,we are down just a few % points from last year due losing our snowmobilers,so things are pretty much normal.
The Bob House is a great place....many of our customers go back and forth and many of my crew love to hang out there, also.They are quite different than we are......they have a full bar and more relaxed dining...we are more of a comfort food kind of place and I think we compliment each other rather than compete.
Samiam:

Thank you for your thoughtful and business like response. As noted in my earlier post, we love you guys and the VK has been a part of our NH Home for almost 30 years. Your food has always been consistently outstanding, the service exceptional and the excitement and fun of going to the Vk is a key componment of our time at Winni.

I have never once offered an opinion about your prices as I always have felt you folks do a bang-up job on the value proposition..........mine was merely an observation and as noted, we pull and continue to pull for you. You may be correct on the size ordered as well......perhaps it was my fault!

I will make sure I ask for the large size on my next visit to be certain I haven't created too much of an issue. If I erred, I will acknowledge and respectfully post immediately!!

Again, thanks for the kind and thoughtful response; as an owner operator, I wish everyone was as proactive and non-defensive about observations for improvement, especially from their customers. We sincerely hope your trafiic/customer counts go up by 10% or more this year, I know we'll be there!!!

Best regards
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunset View For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (03-26-2012), VitaBene (03-26-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
dpg

First of all let me just say I eat at the VK when I'm up and get the chance me and my wife like it very much! BUT.....Honestly it's (almost) impossible to be critical about anything there partly in my opinion because of Samians presence (and popularity) on this site. PLEASE...PLEASE...don't everyone trash me now again, I love the place too just my .02. Last fall (actually fair weekend) I had a minor incident there and we (Samian and myself) talked via private messages I didn't want to write anything that (literally) the whole world could read.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #19
SAMIAM

Thanks for the kind words Sunset and I meant what I said when I told you we appreciate any feedback.....good example is DPG.....he had a service problem last summer and contacted me by PM. I sat down with Ronda, our dining room manager and tracked it right down to the person that had dropped the ball while waiting on them. We had a chat with her and don't believe that will happen again.
Every now and then, in this business, someone can have a bad day and not do the job that you expect of them....it happens in most restaurants... and thanks to you guys, we try and stay on top of it before it goes any further.......so please don't feel bad about b+++t'n at me. I'm grateful to know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
GTO (03-28-2012), Sunset View (03-29-2012), VitaBene (03-30-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #20
Sunset View

Default I was wrong!

We ate at the VK Saturday evening and again Sunday morning........the Sat evening meal was sensational, the portions large and the quality of service exceptional! I posted a few weeks back about the quantity of portions being smaller, on Saturday night, our meals were plentiful and a great value.

What can you say about the VK for breakfast...no one in NH does it better!

Nice Work VK.....We love you guys!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
tummyman

Wife and I just returned from a late meal at VK tonight. No problems at all with the portions. By the way, we also tried the new Lobster Bisque that Chef Seth prepared tonight. It was FABULOUS. Never had any better. Hot, creamy, lobster, etc. Next time we will not settle for a cup, but go for a bowl. VK still is tops in terms of friendly staff....thanks Marion as always!!....and they continue to deliver good quality food served hot, quick, tasty, and value priced.

Last edited by tummyman; 05-24-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Typo only on two letters. No change in content.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #22
Jonas Pilot

Default Anyone remember ...

... when the VK was next to the gas pumps? Has it been under the same ownership all these years? That was one of my favorite stops back in the 80's.

If my memory is a little corn fused I'm open to a refreshing.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:09 AM   #23
Greene's Basin Girl

Was it Bud's Pub?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #24
SAMIAM

That's going back a ways, Greens Basin Girl.....and you're right. It went from Bud's Pub to a convenience store and then to the original VK which we opened in 1985. We moved to the new VK in Dec of 1994 and still have a lot of the original crew.
We used to go to Bud's for big plates of delicious steamed clams....and, of course, the cold beer.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #25
GusMan

Default VK Staff

SAMIAM,

While I do not own a place at the Big Lake, I often travel to the area to fish bass tournaments. I have been enjoying breakfast at th VK since you were located at the gas station. The food, portions and value are always great.

What *really* impresses me though, is your truly OUTSTANDING staff. I have never seen a more dedicated, hard working and friendly bunch than there is at the VK. I can honestly say that I cannot even suggest one way to improve the service at your establishment.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers....

Gusman
Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #26
Jonas Pilot

The VK still offers New Hampshire hospitality just like in days gone by. That's an awful long time for any business to maintain their standards and personality. The Village Kitchen has never forgotten what got them going so long ago. That's friendly and prompt service, an excellent product and a fair price. It's a simple and easy game plan, but it takes a special team to do it for 30 plus years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
NickNH (05-25-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #27
VitaBene

Default CPR/Defib

Bob, I noted your sign that your staff is now all CPR and Defib trained- nice job! Did you buy a defibrillator?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #28
SAMIAM

We did buy one,VitaBene......it is serviced by our local FD .Sent all of our waitstaff to two days of extensive training on how to use it as well as getting them all certified in CPR.Also,all of our cooks are ServSafe certified.
We were motivated after reading a story about a guy that collapsed at his gym while working out......he could have been easily saved but no one there knew CPR and there was no defibrillator handy.
We have a wonderful crew and they take a lot of pride in the fact that they are ready to jump in if there is an emergency.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Aldidonato (08-21-2014), jerseyonbear (06-04-2012), jogator1 (06-02-2012), Jonas Pilot (06-02-2012), Just Sold (06-02-2012), Mooseyme (06-03-2012), Pineedles (06-02-2012), Redwing (06-04-2012), Sunset View (06-04-2012), trfour (06-03-2012), tummyman (06-02-2012), VitaBene (06-03-2012), WINNOCTURN (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #29
Shreddy

Enjoyed my farmer's breakfast yesterday morning (as usual when I take time to head over)...not surprising by any means. Nothing short of perfect for a breakfast. VK never fails to disappoint and epitomizes what breakfast at the lake should be from the atmosphere to the staff, all the way down to the end product, the FOOD!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #30
Hermit Cover

Default Serv Safe?

I get the CPR training but have never heard of ServSafe? Please explain. Thanks....Bob
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #31
SAMIAM

Sure,glad to explain.ServSafe is a safe food handling course that was developed by the National Restaurant Association and adopted by most of the states including NH.The course is taught by UNH for a fee of $145 per student and a 75% grade or higher is needed for certification.
The state of NH requires one person per shift to be certified but we choose to have everyone on our kitchen crew attend.Once the course is complete,the test takes an entire 8 hour day.
It's really a great course that includes food safety from delivery,storage,preparation to serving.You must abide by a chart and timetable for heating and cooling product.Strict temperature guidlines have to be followed(cold foods 38 or lower hot foods 140 or higher)gloves must be used for handling any finished product.....I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.
Inspections are given without notice and are very tough but it's great for keeping us all on our toes.
Bottom line is......every restaurant in NH has to abide by these rules.....even little hole in the wall joints so it's really safe to eat out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ChocolateGypsy (07-27-2012), jeffk (06-04-2012), Jonas Pilot (06-04-2012), lovetheforum (07-31-2012), trfour (06-04-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #32
songkrai

Quote:

Back to the original post.
This restaurant is an asset to the community and to the Lakes Region.
A staff that is outstanding.
Excellent service.
Reasonable pricing.

Maybe it is just perception.
Maybe it is the size and shape of dishes.
Some meals do come in different sizes.

More then once, though, with others, the statement that portions are getting smaller has come up while dining there. Never at the breakfast meal.
The Following User Says Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
Sunset View (07-10-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #33
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Green curtains at VK

I had breakfast two mornings last week with friends from Connecticut, and as usual, it was outstanding (both service and food). I checked out the green curtains (based on an earlier comment by a forum member about their being "dated") and must say that I agree. Less is more, IMHO, and with the awnings is there really a need for any curtains? I would suggest simply removing the little green curtains. Just my two cents!! Otherwise, everything is perfect as it has been for years, and years, and years.....Redwing
Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #34
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
... when the VK was next to the gas pumps? Has it been under the same ownership all these years? That was one of my favorite stops back in the 80's.

If my memory is a little corn fused I'm open to a refreshing.
Yup, Jonas...that was us. Never tried to be trendy or upscale, just cooking like grandma used to do. We were there 10 years before we built the new VK up the street.
And GusMan...thanks so much for appreciating my great crew. Sammie and I are so lucky to have those guys. Many have been with us for many years and some from day one. Lots of second generation people, too.
They are like family out there .
I'll make sure that I show them your post......good luck fishing. Next time you a hit a big one give me a call and we'll cook it up for you.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #35
Sunset View

Quote:
Yup, Jonas...that was us. Never tried to be trendy or upscale, just cooking like grandma used to do. We were there 10 years before we built the new VK up the street.
And GusMan...thanks so much for appreciating my great crew. Sammie and I are so lucky to have those guys. Many have been with us for many years and some from day one. Lots of second generation people, too.
They are like family out there .
I'll make sure that I show them your post......good luck fishing. Next time you a hit a big one give me a call and we'll cook it up for you.
Ate at the VK 2 x's this weekend; breakfast Sunday morning (outstanding in every way) and Saturday night dinner. I ordered the clam plate (small) and was blown away at just how small it was (my fault) 7 clams! I guess I was trying to cut back because I also ordered a large salad(It too was outstanding) I asked our waitress for an additional order of clams and she immediately had them on my plate within 5 minutes and they were well worth the extra charge. I had the finest clams I have tasted in years! I think in one other post I voiced concern about the portion/size of the dinner meal; one has to wonder if the smaller size dinner plates gives the illusion of being a smaller meal, just my 2 cents. Good size eaters should err on the side of opting for the larger meal plates going forward, they are a fabulous value.

Samiam and team; great food, exceptional service (thin, lovely blonde lady Sat night) fast turnarounds and just great, consistent experiences, BTW, when we left the VK Saturday evening, we headed directly to Red Hill Dairy for a Cherry Dip and a Hot Fudge Sundae.........THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE THE VK!

THANK YOU
Old 07-27-2012, 02:10 AM   #36
ChocolateGypsy

Quote:
Sure,glad to explain.ServSafe is a safe food handling course that was developed by the National Restaurant Association and adopted by most of the states including NH.The course is taught by UNH for a fee of $145 per student and a 75% grade or higher is needed for certification.
The state of NH requires one person per shift to be certified but we choose to have everyone on our kitchen crew attend.Once the course is complete,the test takes an entire 8 hour day.
It's really a great course that includes food safety from delivery,storage,preparation to serving.You must abide by a chart and timetable for heating and cooling product.Strict temperature guidlines have to be followed(cold foods 38 or lower hot foods 140 or higher)gloves must be used for handling any finished product.....I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.
Inspections are given without notice and are very tough but it's great for keeping us all on our toes.
Bottom line is......every restaurant in NH has to abide by these rules.....even little hole in the wall joints so it's really safe to eat out.
Just wanted to add that ServSafe is one of several companies that provide this certification. Some states require that every employee have a basic level certification on file with the restaurant and that managers and chefs have a more advanced certification -- Nice to see NH is headed in this direction. But at this time, seasonal restaurants are exempt from the above stated requirements.

Just droppin' in for a bite.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #37
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I had a big problem at the VK Sat night. It took more than 4 minutes to get my Prime Rib to the table.......And the piece was almost too big......Maybe the serving staff is figuring out who I am and that I love my Prime Rib on Sat nights.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-29-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #38
riverat

Default yummy

At the VK right now having a great breakfast.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #39
HomeWood

Let's hope for a good snowmobiling season. I certainly don't mind driving to the VK, but there's just something extra special about making the adventure over to there by sled instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #40
dpg

First let me say I love the place also and go when I'm "up" there...But following up on the curtain comment last time there I did think to myself the entrance can use some sprucing up. Not sure maybe painting, maybe a new door just needs some TLC in my opinion...
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #41
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Hey you guys at the VK......You don't need to cook as much prime rib this Sat. I will be away for a couple Saturdays enjoying the rain in Kauai......But I'll be back for some on the 22nd...... BTW I did stop in and got a couple of Poat roast dinners to go.....I hadn't had pot roast in a while.....it was very good. And I like the fact I can get take out there too on my way n home and it is just as fast as if I were eating there......
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
SAMIAM (08-21-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #42
rick35

After hearing about Village Kitchen on the forum we decided to go last night. The food was excellent and the prices were very reasonable. The tables were all full when we left so others have already discovered this gem. We'll be back!
Old 08-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #43
rsmlp

Default Vk

always thought VK would be an excellent choice for DDD!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 PM   #44
phoenix

They would need a specialty item as most DDD have something that Guy tries and they film
Bumble2249 (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #45
Bumble2249

Default Village Kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
always thought VK would be an excellent choice for DDD!

Not at all IMHO. It needs to be an establishment that has either super large portions or unique creative twists on the usual dish, or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #46
Jeanzb1

Having lived in the Lakes Region for six years, we had never been to the VK until last night. FABULOUS!! There were four of us, most tables were occupied, but we got right in and had wonderfully prompt service. The food was outstanding! I'm so glad we tried it because now we will be regulars -- and it's especially good to know they are open year-round!!!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #47
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble2249 View Post
Not at all IMHO. It needs to be an establishment that has either super large portions or unique creative twists on the usual dish, or both.
on second thought, you're right. they need a "sig" dish
Old 09-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #48
VitaBene

Default rainy saturday

I did my first snowmobile work day in the am, then stopped at vk for a delicious open turkey sandwich which led to a great nap!!
Old 09-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #49
secondcurve

SAMIAM: I have seen a numerous occasions a SUV on RTE 128 in Massachusetts with the NH license plate SAMIAM. Is this you?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:19 AM   #50
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
SAMIAM: I have seen a numerous occasions a SUV on RTE 128 in Massachusetts with the NH license plate SAMIAM. Is this you?
Let's see if I have it straight...

Bob does most of the posting after he hijacked his wife Sammie's account here Sammie drives the SUV with the SAMIAM plates and Bob drives a pickup with the grandkids initials on the plate.

Now I'm hungry, I think I will shoot to the VK for lunch!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #51
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Not on 128....she rarely drives in Mass. Was it a NH plate?
My wife Sammie has had SAMIAM for 35 years. We have seen other variations such as SAM1AM, SAMIAM+ and so forth but she is the original
Old 09-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #52
secondcurve

Yes. Nh plate 128 south below 93. Jeep I think. Maybe it was a slightly different spelling. I've seen at a few times in the last year. I'll look closer next time.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #53
baygo

Default Triple A

I finally got to try The VK today after golfing at Ridgewood. I started with wild mushrooma and rice soup which was very tasty then enjoyed my meatloaf dinner so much I had to add on lemon mer range pie for dessert.

I almost past on the visit when i saw the tour bus in the parking lot. Glad I didn't. The staff did a GREAT job handleing the bus load as well as this loan diner.

VK nailed it forme when I had a craving for country cooking and friendly service.

Thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
jeffatsquam (10-17-2014), trfour (10-17-2014), VitaBene (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #54
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
I finally got to try The VK today after golfing at Ridgewood. I started with wild mushrooma and rice soup which was very tasty then enjoyed my meatloaf dinner so much I had to add on lemon mer range pie for dessert.

I almost past on the visit when i saw the tour bus in the parking lot. Glad I didn't. The staff did a GREAT job handleing the bus load as well as this loan diner.

VK nailed it forme when I had a craving for country cooking and friendly service.

Thanks
Thanks for the kind words Baygo....and right back at you for the awesome visit this summer that my whole tribe (including grandkids) enjoyed at your place. First tapas experience for the little ones and they were giddy for each new course. So much fun.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #55
Just Sold

Quote:
Not on 128....she rarely drives in Mass. Was it a NH plate?
My wife Sammie has had SAMIAM for 35 years. We have seen other variations such as SAM1AM, SAMIAM+ and so forth but she is the original
I saw SAMIAM (NH plate) on a Honda van, light green or grey, this morning in Derry heading north into Londoderry on Rte 28. I did not write down the excat letters used but I thought of this thread right away.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #56
baygo

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the spectacular view out the back windows. What is the name of the very beautiful blue flowering wine you have growing in the foreground? It's enormous and proof that your guests are not the only to be fed well.

Everyone should get by there soon to take in the view!
Old 10-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #57
SAMIAM

Sammie planted a bunch of morning glories but there is a big birdhouse under that tangle .....birds don't seem to mind.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #58
donnamatrix

Default Great food-as always-at VK

Had lunch at VK on 10/18 - the terrific pot roast sandwich - clearly the leftovers from the Pot Roast dinner - and cannot tell you how wonderful it was. It was as if my mother's spectacular pot roast had returned. GREAT JOB. LOVE THE VK
Old 05-16-2015, 11:40 PM   #59
Hermit Cover

Default Vk.....

My Mother always told me, " If you can't............well.......you know the rest!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermit Cover For This Useful Post:
tummyman (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 04:55 AM   #60
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Great Place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnidipper View Post
Went in to the village kitchen Friday night. Always enjoy the fish fry. It is 'the best around.' We've been avoiding the kitchen for breakfast though since the morning woman has been a bit cranky. Was annoyed to see her working at night and more annoyed to hear her phone start ringing when serving us.
Well, if you read the 58 posts before yours you may notice that everyone has nice things to say about the Village Kitchen. That includes me. I have been going there for years and enjoy the excellent food and very pleasant staff. I especially enjoy going there for breakfast because the service is great and the waitresses are so pleasant!

Sometimes when you are the only one complaining you have to think...............Maybe it's.....................
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
tummyman (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #61
tummyman

VK is a terrific spot. Have found the waitress staff to be very hard working and they make every effort to accommodate folks. Food is great.....never had a bad meal or a bad experience. Seth the night cook is top notch. Makes terrific lobster chowder and clam chowder. This is a family atmosphere restaurant. If the staff bothers you this much, maybe it is time to just look elsewhere. These folks work VERY hard and I know many of them by first name.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Miss Theresa (05-17-2015), TiltonBB (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #62
Hermit Cover

Default The VK

As participants in this forum, which I feel IMHO is one of the best Vacation Website forums in the country (Thanks to our Webmaster) we often offer our opinions about "things" like boats, lodging, fish, photos, and so on...but we often fall into a diatribe about people and things get personal...
I think we need to remember "Judging a person does not define who they are.....it defines who you are! "
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hermit Cover For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (05-17-2015), ghfromaltonbay (05-17-2015), HellRaZoR004 (05-17-2015), Jersey Ed (05-18-2015), Misha888 (05-31-2015), trfour (05-17-2015), upthesaukee (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #63
ghfromaltonbay

Default Hermit Cover

Glad to see you back on the forum and survived the winter. It's been a while since you posted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
Hermit Cover (05-17-2015), upthesaukee (05-17-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 PM   #64
LSBA Joker

Default Village kitchen

It's been a number of years, do they serve adult beverages. Tx!
Old 05-31-2015, 09:33 PM   #65
HomeWood

"Was annoyed to see her working at night and more annoyed to hear her phone start ringing when serving us."

Really? For all you know she was waiting for a very important call. Maybe a family member is in the hospital for a procedure, a birth, or maybe a family member is expecting to land any minute after serving over seas. Who knows? And maybe there is a good reason for her to be "cranky". Did you try asking her if there was a problem? Sometimes a kind word can change somebody's attitude and you can both part ways happier. Jeepers, some can just complain about anything.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #66
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBA Joker View Post
It's been a number of years, do they serve adult beverages. Tx!
Not a big selection but beer and wine is available.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
LSBA Joker (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #67
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
"Was annoyed to see her working at night and more annoyed to hear her phone start ringing when serving us."

Really? For all you know she was waiting for a very important call. Maybe a family member is in the hospital for a procedure, a birth, or maybe a family member is expecting to land any minute after serving over seas. Who knows? And maybe there is a good reason for her to be "cranky". Did you try asking her if there was a problem? Sometimes a kind word can change somebody's attitude and you can both part ways happier. Jeepers, some can just complain about anything.
Hang on, a server with a cell phone active is just 100% wrong ! You never see servers with cell phones . Let's not get carried away justifying this because we like the owner
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
Winnigirl (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 04:32 AM   #68
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I would have absolutely no issue with a server having an active cell phone IF he/she just mentioned it. As a teacher, my phone is always on silent, but when my wife was pregnant, I told each class that until the baby was born I would have my wife's number programmed to ring and no one else.

I would do the exact same thing if I were waiting on other important news, but this sounds like it might be an ongoing issue of attitude and performance.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #69
NonVoting Taxpayer

A server at the very least should have the phone in their pocket on silent. As a patron, I'd be insulted if you stopped taking my order to talk on your phone. That would infer someone is more important than I am as a patron of the business. As an employer, I'm sure that one phone call did not benefit my business at all.
What has society become if we can't wait five minutes to get back to a person who probably just wants to find out what the weather is? Obviously some will disagree but just the fact we are having this discussion speaks for itself. As a business owner I wouldn't be happy this conversation is even taking place. I'm fully aware you cannot keep everyone happy but a server stopping to talk on their phone just seems so insulting under any circumstance.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:46 AM   #70
HomeWood

Nobody said she had to stop taking an order to grab a call and on silent would be better. The VK is not a $100 per plate dining experience kind of place. It's just a nice place to grab good food with a friendly small town feel. Some things just aren't worth investing the time to worry about but that's me.

Last edited by HomeWood; 06-02-2015 at 07:27 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
ronc4424 (06-02-2015), VitaBene (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 07:51 AM   #71
Joebon

I hope she washed her hands after she touched her phone.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #72
VitaBene

Default Service at the VK

I have eaten at the VK well over a hundred times and have never had anything but prompt and professional service. I certainly have never seen anyone on the phone when in the middle of providing service!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
HomeWood (06-03-2015), Lakewinn1 (06-03-2015), trfour (06-02-2015), tummyman (06-02-2015), WINNOCTURN (06-02-2015)
Old 06-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #73
bruinsfan

I too, have enjoyed many meals at the VK. It's a great place for a fast & economical meal.

The service has always been ok. Only complaint is lack of attention to detail; I've gotten the wrong side order several times......and it's always the same waitress. I've sat in different areas in hope of not getting her; if we do, my wife and I chuckle at our internal joke. Something WILL be wrong with the order.

The first time it happened, I said something. After that, I just felt sorry for her; no sense in trying to help those who don't care. Just my 2¢....
The Following User Says Thank You to bruinsfan For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-02-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #74
dpg

I also agree it's a great quick meal, my only complaint if I had to think of something is the fact that they take no plastic as a form of payment. I don't go for the excuse it helps keep their cost down. I'd rather see the prices increase a couple percent for the added convenience. In todays society everybody uses it and it's getting to be more and more of an inconvenience when you come across an establishment that doesn't take it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
ronc4424 (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #75
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I also agree it's a great quick meal, my only complaint if I had to think of something is the fact that they take no plastic as a form of payment. I don't go for the excuse it helps keep their cost down. I'd rather see the prices increase a couple percent for the added convenience. In todays society everybody uses it and it's getting to be more and more of an inconvenience when you come across an establishment that doesn't take it.
How about next time your headed up put an extra $100.- in your pocket stop in and get 4 $25.- gift certificates keep them in wallet or vehicle (they take up less room than a credit card) and then you will always have VK cash.... Or not
Old 06-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #76
Pineedles

Quote:
They do have an ATM inside for those who want to use plastic. I personally think that is a much better way, than increasing paperwork and prices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Redwing (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 07:40 AM   #77
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
They do have an ATM inside for those who want to use plastic. I personally think that is a much better way, than increasing paperwork and prices.
If I remember correctly, it's a $3 charge to use it. I've avoided that by paying with check, but I agree with the post above that it's time to start accepting cards.
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ronc4424 (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #78
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
If I remember correctly, it's a $3 charge to use it. I've avoided that by paying with check, but I agree with the post above that it's time to start accepting cards.
All I am saying is, raising the prices for everyone is not the answer. You avoid the ATM fee by paying by check. That's great. It's just another way the VK makes it easy for one to pay. I love this place and I know that hundreds of other folks do too as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Redwing (06-08-2015), tummyman (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #79
Crusty

Many years ago, I worked on the "big iron" that ran the largest VISA processor in the country. We worked ceaselessly to 1) ensure the network was up and running 24/7 and 2) maximize profit. Consequently, I have always been interested in just how lucrative credit card processing can be.

Until late in 2010, merchants were over a barrel if they accepted credit cards. They had to pay both a transaction fee and a percentage of the sale. The rates were set by the card companies and if you didn't agree to it, you couldn't accept the card. The most troublesome part of this merchant "agreement" was that merchants couldn't promote other forms of payment or discourage use of the card. Because the states and federal government finally went after the card issuers, that part of the agreement is now gone. A merchant is free, in principle at least, to add a "credit card fee" to a bill. [Typically, $.35 + 3-5% of the total.] However, most merchants are afraid that such charges would discourage business.

Also, since 2014, debit card fees have been capped at $.21 per transaction (which provides a huge profit for the banks).

Final analysis, if a restaurant decides to accept credit cards, they may need to increase their prices by about 5% just to cover the banks' cut. Accepting debit cards is much cheaper, although significant if the average check is small.

Of course, don't forget that banks charge a per check fee for deposits. Some also impose a charge for cash deposits. If your cash deposit is over $10k, you need to file federal forms. [If your cash deposit is regularly just under $10k, the feds may seize your bank account and charge you under the "criminal banking" statutes.]

My conclusion is that if you are running a successful cash business with small margins, you need to think long and hard before taking 5% off your gross income.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (06-11-2015), jeffatsquam (06-08-2015), Jersey Ed (06-09-2015), Pineedles (06-08-2015), Redwing (06-08-2015), tummyman (06-08-2015), winni1 (06-11-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #80
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Until late in 2010, merchants were over a barrel if they accepted credit cards.
This wasn't my experience accepting cards for an online and physical store location in the late 90's/early 2000's. Like anything you had to shop around for the best deals, but there were several options.

Quote:
The most troublesome part of this merchant "agreement" was that merchants couldn't promote other forms of payment or discourage use of the card.
This sounds like you worked for AMEX. They typically have/had their own agreement and the wording stated that you couldn't discriminate against AMEX specifically (EG: Visa/MC would have no additional fees, but AMEX cards would have a 2% surcharge, etc.

Companies have always been able to make the acceptance of credit cards options and offer an across the board CASH/CREDIT price difference. This may not have been true for EVERYONE merchant processor, but it wasn't a universal truth that you had no option for 2-tier pricing just because you accepted credit cards.

Quote:
Because the states and federal government finally went after the card issuers, that part of the agreement is now gone. A merchant is free, in principle at least, to add a "credit card fee" to a bill. [Typically, $.35 + 3-5% of the total.] However, most merchants are afraid that such charges would discourage business.
Those numbers seem high to me, but as I recall it was all very much based on size of your business, average transaction size, average daily collections, etc. I think we were at like 2.5% for card-present transactions and 3.5% for online/card not present, plus a 25 cent fee.

Quote:

Of course, don't forget that banks charge a per check fee for deposits. Some also impose a charge for cash deposits. If your cash deposit is over $10k, you need to file federal forms. [If your cash deposit is regularly just under $10k, the feds may seize your bank account and charge you under the "criminal banking" statutes.]

My conclusion is that if you are running a successful cash business with small margins, you need to think long and hard before taking 5% off your gross income.
Your conclusion is puzzling when you point out above that there is generally no free way to operate your business banking. You're charged for cash deposits, checks, etc. You also run the risk of bad checks (one of which could equate to a weeks worth of credit card fees).
Old 06-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #81
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
I agree with you. I rarely carry much cash. Also I enjoy getting the points when I use my credit card. When I go on vacation I always fly free with my points.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #82
tummyman

I like the fact the VK keeps prices low. We almost always pay by check...never an issue. Lot's of folks are on fixed incomes and being able to enjoy a reasonably priced meal at VK is an outing for some. I would not want to hurt some older folks or those on limited incomes. I suppose they could offer a credit card solution with a 3-4% fee tacked on the bottom for those who wish to use a credit card.....sort of like the two price structure in some gas stations..but which I HATE !!! I would not be in favor of an across the board price increase just to cover those who want to use a card.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #83
Shreddy

This isn't that hard...everyone that goes to the VK and enjoys it knows that it's cash. There's an ATM right there if you're short, if not, plan ahead. I've been so desperate for VK several times that I've legit paid in quarters because I didn't have a bunch of cash and I refuse to get double whacked by the ATM. Regardless, as much as I would love for them to accept credit cards, I know they don't and it really isn't an issue because I KNOW they don't. Clearly it's not an issue because people still go there consistently.

VK will always be worth the hassle, to me, of finding cash to use to buy my farmer's breakfast...with chocolate chip pancakes, extra bacon, and cheese on my eggs (all for justifiable extra cost).
Old 06-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #84
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
This isn't that hard...everyone that goes to the VK and enjoys it knows that it's cash. There's an ATM right there if you're short, if not, plan ahead. I've been so desperate for VK several times that I've legit paid in quarters because I didn't have a bunch of cash and I refuse to get double whacked by the ATM. Regardless, as much as I would love for them to accept credit cards, I know they don't and it really isn't an issue because I KNOW they don't. Clearly it's not an issue because people still go there consistently.

VK will always be worth the hassle, to me, of finding cash to use to buy my farmer's breakfast...with chocolate chip pancakes, extra bacon, and cheese on my eggs (all for justifiable extra cost).
Shreddy,

I usually pay by CHECK, Meredith Village Savings. Not sure if it is just local Banks? Even though I pay the Bill by Check, I leave the TIP in CASH where it's by Check or Credit Card.

2 EGG cheese omelet, extra Home Fries and a side of Bacon! Can't be beat.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:35 PM   #85
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Shreddy,

I usually pay by CHECK, Meredith Village Savings. Not sure if it is just local Banks? Even though I pay the Bill by Check, I leave the TIP in CASH where it's by Check or Credit Card.

2 EGG cheese omelet, extra Home Fries and a side of Bacon! Can't be beat.
Sounds solid right there! Yeah, I forget about checks too. But checks are essentially more dead to me than cash.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:49 PM   #86
TiltonBB

Default No it is not

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
The fee on the ATM at Village Kitchen is $2.50, not $3.00.

Don't forget that in order to provide that convenience for those people who do not carry cash there are significant costs to have an ATM available. The cost of the machine itself, access to internet service and a procesing company for the machine to provide transactions through. It is also necessary to tie up thousands of dollars in ATM machine inventory to have that cash available to customers.

Also, people who use that machine may take out a lot more money than they spend at the Village Kitchen so that they have a little "walking around" money.

There are no free lunches anymore! It costs money to go through life!
Old 06-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #87
TiltonBB

Default Sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
I agree with you. I rarely carry much cash. Also I enjoy getting the points when I use my credit card. When I go on vacation I always fly free with my points.
You may think that you are flying free but all of the places that you use your credit card have increased their prices to cover the additional fees that your credit card company takes when you use your card. So really, you have paid all year long, every time you have used your card, by paying higher prices so that you can get your points.

Like the old muffler ad says.................."You can pay me now or you can pay me later"
Redwing (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #88
Charlie T

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post

Like the old muffler ad says.................."You can pay me now or you can pay me later"
Hate to be a nit picker but that was an old Fram oil filter commercial.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #89
brk-lnt

Quote:

Don't forget that in order to provide that convenience for those people who do not carry cash there are significant costs to have an ATM available. The cost of the machine itself, access to internet service and a procesing company for the machine to provide transactions through. It is also necessary to tie up thousands of dollars in ATM machine inventory to have that cash available to customers.
ATM's are very profitable to own these days. If the VK is actually *paying* to have an ATM there, they are getting robbed. They should either own the ATM (and make money off the fees) or lease the space to whoever owns/maintains the ATM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #90
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
ATM's are very profitable to own these days. If the VK is actually *paying* to have an ATM there, they are getting robbed. They should either own the ATM (and make money off the fees) or lease the space to whoever owns/maintains the ATM.
The ATM's are only profitable beyond a significant number of monthly transactions. There are expenses like processing, internet access, disputed transactions, and repairs, that significantly affect the income. There is also state licensing because when a machine is not bank owned there is an annual state license fee. There is also the cost of keeping your cash in an an ATM machine

Also, all of the older ATM's must now be converted to a machine that accepts the newer credit cards that have the chip in them. That expense is in excess of $1,000 per ATM
GsChinadoll (06-11-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 05:03 AM   #91
brk-lnt

Quote:
You may think that you are flying free but all of the places that you use your credit card have increased their prices to cover the additional fees that your credit card company takes when you use your card. So really, you have paid all year long, every time you have used your card, by paying higher prices so that you can get your points.

Except that the price is the same cash or credit. So if the prices are going to be higher you might as well use a points card to get something back...
ronc4424 (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 05:40 AM   #92
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Except that the price is the same cash or credit. So if the prices are going to be higher you might as well use a points card to get something back...
Exactly, since everyone else is financing your points by paying higher prices
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 07:56 AM   #93
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Exactly, since everyone else is financing your points by paying higher prices
This is the definition of pennywise, pound foolish. If you're worried about paying an extra 2-5 percent for the convenience of paying with a credit card, eat at home. I highly doubt VK's prices are cheaper because it doesn't accept credit cards. I've eaten breakfast at VK, George's, Water Street, Deja Vu, etc. and haven't noticed an appreciable difference in price.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
dpg (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #94
dpg

Lets not forget the number 1 reason and that is CASH IS KING. Nobody REALLY knows what your making, claiming, etc...We all know it's true.
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
Major (06-09-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 02:38 AM   #95
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
...I've eaten breakfast at VK, George's, Water Street, Deja Vu, etc. and haven't noticed an appreciable difference in price.
But I like the VK, speaking from the theoretical

Quote:
Lets not forget the number 1 reason and that is CASH IS KING. Nobody REALLY knows what your making, claiming, etc...We all know it's true.
Right on
Old 06-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #96
Joebon

Is it true that Village Kitchen now accepts bitcoins?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #97
SAMIAM

Quote:
Had to chuckle over this one.....wish I could stash a little mad money but,unfortunately we have a POS system......can't get a muffin out of the kitchen that's not recorded on the computer.
It's really not the 3% fee that keeps us from taking plastic.On busy days there is sometimes a line 4 or 5 deep waiting to pay and processing credit cards would slow things down.
I'm sure everyone here can remember a time they were waiting in line for a long transaction and a rejection can cause cause a huge delay.
Most of our customers are not here to linger over the lavish decorations.They want a good meal at a fair price and then want to get on with their day so we choose to keep things moving as fast as possible.BTW,if you need to use the ATM your bank will refund the fee if you save your receipt.
We know that the day will come when we have to make that change but for now it is working.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Crusty (06-10-2015), GsChinadoll (06-11-2015), mhtranger (06-10-2015), Pineedles (06-10-2015), tummyman (06-10-2015), wifi (06-11-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #98
brk-lnt

Quote:
I'm sure everyone here can remember a time they were waiting in line for a long transaction and a rejection can cause cause a huge delay.
I can't remember the last time I've been held up by someones card getting rejected. I can recall 3 times in the last month getting slowed down by check writers and someone claiming they had "exact change" somewhere within the confines a purse that would qualify as an oversize carry-on on some airlines.

Not taking credit cards on the basis of transaction processing times is not something I've heard of before.
Greene's Basin Girl (06-10-2015), Major (06-10-2015), thinkxingu (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #99
Bigstan

Default So I guess...

Apple Pay is off the table ?
Old 06-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #100
Tired of Waiting

Default Yo

Quote:
Had to chuckle over this one.....(Snip).
SAMIAM, you do know that all of us here on this site can run your very successful business better than you, Right? After all we all have run a nice like village kitchen eatery that NO one has ever found an issue with!!

I know your policy and carry cash when I drive buy to have a bite to eat. Just saying.

ToW
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (06-13-2015), SAMIAM (06-11-2015)
Closed Thread