Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Sunset View

Default Geese Everywhere!!!!!

Has anyone else noticed the explosion in geese population? The lake is now covered with these annoying birds who leave their droppings, ruin lawns and make many beautiful parts of the lake uninhabitable!

Ysterday I was at the water treatment plant at Paugus Bay and counted well over 100 birds! At Meredith Bay there must have been 75 grazing on the lwns and as you know, these birds become very territorial and aggressive so, no more sitting on the banks of Meredith and looking up the broads. Finally, in Center Harbor and Moultonboro, ducks are now replaced with geese..........100s of them!

Wondering if there are any plans to combat these pesky annoying animals or do we need to take matters into our own hands?

Looking for input.

Have a great and safe 4th everyone!
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
ITD

We've had problems with them, about 15 of them, they leave behind a huge amount of droppings each per day. We put up a barrier (short wire garden fence) to deter them from the lawn ( they don't fly this time of year due to molting and want an undeterred route to the water. They are aggressive if they think you are afraid of them. Stand your ground or advance on them and usually they will retreat. A stick or shovel in hand can be used to herd them, I wouldn't whack one though, they are pretty fragile and I'm sure it is against the law to hurt them. They can nip and know where to bite if you know what I mean so be careful, but once they know you are not afraid of them they will run. I think New Hampshire will be naming them the state bird pretty soon.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Sunset View (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Misty Blue

Default Cook their Goose!

We are now spending millions on milfoil removal on the Lake. This is good. Our next target must be the geese.

They will destroy a body of water and make it undrinkable, unswimable and property values will drop like geese dookie.

We have a lot of smart folks on this fourm. How about some ideas.

This problem must have been addressed in other places and, I hope, delt with.

I think that any ideas must be acted upon as soon as possible. Before they infest the entire Lake.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post:
Sunset View (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Newbiesaukee

The Geese have invaded Long Island and I have kept them at bay on my property with visual barriers such as strings of flags. After spending much time on google, my sad conclusion is that nothing works forever and because of regulations the problem is not easily solvable.

I really love wildlife ( even the "ugly" ones) but these geese are really evil

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ighlight=Geese ( try this link)

Even more:http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...t=Canada+geese

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."

Last edited by Newbiesaukee; 07-01-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
NoBozo

Default Long Range Duck and Goose Interdiction

This would probably work. It has a range of well over a mile...and in experienced hands up to 3 miles. The attractive thing is....it doesn't leave any evidence at the scene. NB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M82
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
challmec (07-02-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Argie's Wife

I've noticed they seem more prolific this year. They've taken over the Alton Bay Cemetery. I thought someone had been walking their dog there on a regular basis there was so much poo. They're always at the Letter S Rd/Route 140 intersection, too. Nasty critters - pretty to look at but man, do they wreck an area quickly.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Fargo

Default Geese

I bought 4ft vinyl snow fence at Lowes and cut it down to 18". We now have 300ft of fencing on the beach and out around the dock. Seems to be working, nothing else did.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I, too, am fighting geese. My flags have stopped working because they have figured out if one goes down or up a little, they find that spot and go over or under them. We are now trying pebbles with a sling shot. Much as I hate them, I don't want to hurt them, so the pebbles seem to scare them away-till the next time. The trouble is you have to be home every single minute to watch for them. I got one of those plastic coyotes and I think that is helping, but we have a lot of shorefront so they went to the other side where the coyote isn't and where they found a low spot in the flags. We have also sent the remote control boat out after them. The trouble is, all this scares them away but they come back. I also got an owl that hoots and turns it head on motion, but it doesn't work- it hoots and turns it's head all the time. At that rate the batteries won't last long. I hope to get a new one that works. I tried an air horn a couple of times too. We only have two adults and four babies but you would think we had thousands the amount of mess that comes from them. I hope someone can come up with a surefire solution. I can see what 6 will do, I can't imagine more. If they would just go away!!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I, too, am fighting geese. My flags have stopped working because they have figured out if one goes down or up a little, they find that spot and go over or under them. We are now trying pebbles with a sling shot. Much as I hate them, I don't want to hurt them, so the pebbles seem to scare them away-till the next time. The trouble is you have to be home every single minute to watch for them. I got one of those plastic coyotes and I think that is helping, but we have a lot of shorefront so they went to the other side where the coyote isn't and where they found a low spot in the flags. We have also sent the remote control boat out after them. The trouble is, all this scares them away but they come back. I also got an owl that hoots and turns it head on motion, but it doesn't work- it hoots and turns it's head all the time. At that rate the batteries won't last long. I hope to get a new one that works. I tried an air horn a couple of times too. We only have two adults and four babies but you would think we had thousands the amount of mess that comes from them. I hope someone can come up with a surefire solution. I can see what 6 will do, I can't imagine more. If they would just go away!!!!
Roman candles work well, kind of fun too.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-02-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Roman candles do work great.....I used to use the ones without a report so my neighbors wouldn't freak,but nothing has worked better than the strings of flags from the party store.As long as they are up,I haven't had a single goose.Plus they are easy to remove when you want to use the beach
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I've noticed they seem more prolific this year. They've taken over the Alton Bay Cemetery. I thought someone had been walking their dog there on a regular basis there was so much poo. They're always at the Letter S Rd/Route 140 intersection, too. Nasty critters - pretty to look at but man, do they wreck an area quickly.
Thanks for comming back your insite was missed
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffatsquam For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (07-01-2012), Jonas Pilot (07-01-2012), SteveA (07-03-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Roman candles do work great.....I used to use the ones without a report so my neighbors wouldn't freak,but nothing has worked better than the strings of flags from the party store.As long as they are up,I haven't had a single goose.Plus they are easy to remove when you want to use the beach
You were the one that gave me the flag idea. They worked great for a couple of years, but this year they learned to go over or under them.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
NoBozo

[QUOTE=tis;185329]We have also sent the remote control boat out after them. The trouble is, all this scares them away but they come back. QUOTE]

You could also use a remote control TIGER Tank. They are excellent vehicles and fun to drive around your property. BUT... you need to have firepower added. Find a model builder who would build one for you. Maybe a 22 Cal. tank mounted gun. This would likely cost well over $1000. BUT: IT Would be FUN. NB
Old 07-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
tis

[QUOTE=NoBozo;185349]
Quote:
We have also sent the remote control boat out after them. The trouble is, all this scares them away but they come back. QUOTE]

You could also use a remote control TIGER Tank. They are excellent vehicles and fun to drive around your property. BUT... you need to have firepower added. Find a model builder who would build one for you. Maybe a 22 Cal. tank mounted gun. This would likely cost well over $1000. BUT: IT Would be FUN. NB
That WOULD be fun. But it would have to float.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
NoBozo

I think there are Amphibious Tanks....just not TIGERS. NB

BTW: The German Tiger Tank was the Second most powerful tank during WWII. There were variations. The Russian T-34 was THE most powerfull tank in the world at the time. The American "Sherman" was a ...lightweight... comparitively...

BUT none of this has anything to do with shooting geese (in a humane way) in the Lakes Region.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
barefootbay

The problem started when folks started feeding them and they found out that the really didn't need to migrate any more so the just winter here and there is lots of open water in the winter now , so they just stay here and breed.
Wolfeboro had this problem some years ago with ducks. Folks were feeding them year round on a large scale and the down town dockside area was covered with hundreds of ducks and lots of poop.

A town ordinance was passed against feeding the ducks and in a few years their numbers greatly diminished.
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barefootbay For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
Jonas Pilot

Default Keep Geese Away by Changing the Habitat

Habitat modification creates long-lasting results

The most lasting way to avoid Canada geese problems (and often the most cost-effective in the long run) is to change the habitat so it doesn't appeal to them. You can do this by taking away their preferred foods and creating a landscape where the birds don't feel safe.

Habitat changes will work better if geese can go to a "tolerance zone" that meets their needs. Leave geese tolerance zones and the geese in them alone. Then geese will vacate zero-tolerance zones more readily.
The buffet is closed

Like most of us, if Canada geese find their favorite food spread out in easy reach, they will eat it. But you can close the free buffet!

Reduce the total amount of lawn.
Where you keep lawn, reduce the young grass shoots geese like the most. Let grass grow taller—at least 6 inches and leave taller grass over winter. Stop or limit watering and fertilizing in the spring.
Replace Kentucky bluegrass (a.k.a. "goose candy") with other grasses such as tall fescue. This works where geese can eat somewhere else. They will eat fescue and almost any short grass or legume if that's all there is.
To reduce food for a short period, treat grass with chemical repellents. Anthraquinone triggers a strong, harmless digestive irritation and teaches geese to avoid treated areas. Methyl anthranilate is a grape flavoring in our food. To geese, it just tastes really bad. Repellents must be reapplied after heavy rains or when growing grass is mowed, so plan their use when it can be most effective.
Do not feed geese! Human food is not healthy for them and geese will gather where they are fed.

Don't give them shelter

Geese feel safe from predators where there are open sight lines, so they can see predators coming, and where they can easily escape onto open water.

Use dense tall plantings along shorelines to make a barrier between the food and the water.
Add variety to landscaping with clumps of taller plantings where predators could hide.
Locate ball fields and other grassy expanses as far from open water as possible.
Maintain or establish stands of trees between water and grass so geese can't fly through.

The Humane Society of the United States
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
CateP (07-02-2012), Slickcraft (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #18
secondcurve

I've written about it before.......a young kid has a pellet gun in my neck of the woods and the old timers pay him and his buddies $5.00 a bird......Evidently, he shoots them in the head and that stops them quickly and it is humane. The old timers use them for fertilizer.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #19
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I've written about it before.......a young kid has a pellet gun in my neck of the woods and the old timers pay him and his buddies $5.00 a bird......Evidently, he shoots them in the head and that stops them quickly and it is humane. The old timers use them for fertilizer.
Maybe we should just run 'em over with our boats?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
secondcurve

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Maybe we should just run 'em over with our boats?
That would work, too. Just watch the speed limit!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
At Your Service NH

Default One way to keep nthe geese out

We recommend these to our customers and have had pretty good results

Contech scarecrow motion activated sprinkler cro102

you can get them on EBAY for around $50.00
At Your Service NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Fish and Game needs to step in here and extend the hunting season as well as daily bag limits to get their numbers in control. Educating the general public about proper barrier techniques and especially why it is so important to never feed them!! Killing them out of seasonal dates as people deem necessary is not the solution. Certain times of year are selected for harvesting for good reason, the harvest numbers just need to increase.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #23
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post
Thanks for comming back your insite was missed
Awwww.... thank you. That's very sweet. The Arglets have kept me busy with baseball and t-ball this year, and then there's scouts, school stuff, work, projects, and.... I still lurked but haven't had much to post on.

----

About some of the alternative means of keeping geese away - we had a bad infestation of them at the high school here in Alton a couple of years ago. They loved the area because it was clear, some water, lots of grass, etc. You get the idea. The school tried several things - a plastic wolf decoy (it promptly went MIA), bringing dogs to the area to chase the things, and finally someone suggested bringing in a pyrotechnic company that would discharge a loud air cannon-like device (BOOM!) to scare the pests off. That last tactic seemed to work best. So yes, noise is the key to getting rid of them - they don't like it.

Hopefully, when you do scare them off they'll tell all their goose-friends and you'll be rid of varmints.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #24
dpg

I second Roman Candles and you can keep your distance when lighting them. If your there enough and can stay on them steady for awhile they will stop making your area a regular stop.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #25
tis

Well, so much for the coyote decoy. They were sitting about 8 feet from it just a few minutes ago. My dog and I chased them off and then I shot at them with the slingshot. I am a terrible shot. But it scares them away for a while.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #26
Jeanzb1

My sister-in-law had a TERRIBLE problem up until about three weeks ago with Canadian geese. We went to Agway in Gilford and asked what, if anything, they sold to deter them. We were told of a product -- and for the life of me I cannot remember the two-word name of it -- that is sprayed on mixed with water from a hose and it immediately changes the taste of the grass so that the geese will go elsewhere. It is 100 percent guaranteed. It was expensive, $48, but it sure did work. There are NO droppings now at all. And the stuff is non-toxic.
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #27
SAMIAM

Thanks for the tip.....ordered one from Amazon
Old 07-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #28
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
My sister-in-law had a TERRIBLE problem up until about three weeks ago with Canadian geese. We went to Agway in Gilford and asked what, if anything, they sold to deter them. We were told of a product -- and for the life of me I cannot remember the two-word name of it -- that is sprayed on mixed with water from a hose and it immediately changes the taste of the grass so that the geese will go elsewhere. It is 100 percent guaranteed. It was expensive, $48, but it sure did work. There are NO droppings now at all. And the stuff is non-toxic.
Does this one have some kind of grape which is very sour and tannic acid? And you have to spray it every 7 or so days?
Old 07-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #29
Jeanzb1

Yes, it does have Concord Grapes in it. I went to www.liquidfence.com and then found it. It is called "Goose Repellent." And it really and truly works quickly. We bought it at Agway in Gilford, but you can order it online, also
Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #30
Jonas Pilot

Default Fyi

COMMERCIAL GOOSE REPELLENTS
Canada geese are grazers, preferring short-grass areas adjacent to water sources in which to forage, such as lawns, golf courses, cemeteries and athletic fields. Large numbers of geese foraging in these urban/suburban settings can be a nuisance due to the amount of fecal matter they leave behind (approximately 1⁄2#/goose/day), and the amount of damage they can inflict on turf grass areas through over-grazing. Geese can also decimate crops, such as alfalfa, winter wheat, oats, buckwheat, soybeans and even corn, when the cobs are within 38” of the ground. Damage to crops occurs via foraging and trampling. In regions where open water and a reliable food source are available year-round, geese have formed resident populations which no longer migrate. These populations continue to increase in size as their offspring also become resident geese.
Repellents can be effective in controlling the number of geese frequenting an area, but can be costly, due to the large quantities needed to be effective, and the need to reapply after periods of precipitation. Frequent reapplication in turf-grass areas is also necessary to ensure adequate coverage during the growing season, especially after mowing. Therefore, other methods of damage prevention are preferable over the use of repellents, whenever feasible. Damage control methods, such as hazing, can be used in conjunction with repellents for greater success. Additional methods include temporary, emergency measures such as the placement of electric or barrier fencing between the foraging area and water source. More permanent solutions include the planting of wetland buffers, and population management as a result of hunting pressure. Strategic placement of crop fields can also be a factor in reducing damage by Canada geese. Crops that are susceptible to grazing should not be placed adjacent to ponds and lakes in areas where Canada geese pose a problem. Rather, these areas may be more suitable to the establishment of hayfields and pasture areas, which are more resilient to the effects of trampling and grazing, and could act as a lure to prevent geese from traveling to the more susceptible crop fields.
Refer to Table 5 for a listing of commercial goose repellent products and the manufacturer/source information. Table 6 lists pricing and coverage information for each repellentoutlinedinTable5. ContactinformationforsourcesisincludedinAppendixIo fthis handbook.
Three of the four repellent products listed in Table 5 contain methyl anthranilate as the active ingredient. Methyl anthranilate is a human and livestock food flavoring that is derived from concord grapes. It is safe to use and environmentally friendly, but in studies undertaken by USDA’s National Wildlife Research Center, the repellent has had very limited success in controlling the grazing of geese on turf grasses. The chemical was effective when first applied, but its effectiveness dramatically decreased four days after application, rendering the repellent impractical due to cost and labor constraints. The reader is invited to pursue additional information concerning this study by clicking on the following link : http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_d...pubs/96-14.pdf. More information concerning avian repellents is provided in the following USDA National Wildlife Research Center publication http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_d...bs/aver027.pdf.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/assista...t_handbook.pdf
Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #31
chipj29

I have one of the motion-sensor sprinklers and it works really well to keep small animals away.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #32
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I have one of the motion-sensor sprinklers and it works really well to keep small animals away.
THIS.. Sounds like an Idea.

Something else I just thought of. Low Voltage Electric Fences have been around since at least the 40s...to keep cattle inside boundries. A SINGLE bare wire...driven by something that looks like a battery charger.....drop the wire to 12 inches above ground. I would guess this solution would not be expensive at all. Just string the wire across the path of travel of the Geese.....you can move it around to suit the local conditions. NB
Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #33
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Once upon a time...

our daughter dated a guy who's father had developed this product..

http://www.flightcontrol.com/index.html

His main customers were, at the time, golf courses and large lake front land owners.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #34
tis

I am nervous to use these types of products near the lake.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #35
Jeanzb1

Tis: I don't like anything going into the lake either. But I read that one Canadian goose poops up to FOUR POUNDS per day!!! YIKES! So the runoff from all that mess ends up in the lake eventually. That is far worse than just one application of this Goose Repellent, I would guess. The label on this Goose Repellent says not to spray it directly in water but that it is non-toxic if used as directed. My sister-in-law applied this stuff just once, and, hooray, the geese have left!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #36
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Unhappy Geese and other birds

Even though there are signs around about feeding ducks, a good number of tourists still feed them. Just check around the tourist traps such as public beaches and hospitatlity areas.

State and federal wildlife management cannot stretch enough about not feeding the wild birds. The migration is disrupted and the wild life gets sick from not eating prperly. Yet folks have bird feeders despite the warnings and bears.

I think we took it upon ourselves to put up with geese poops and duck itch. It takes all of us to pitch in to solve the problem.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #37
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
Tis: I don't like anything going into the lake either. But I read that one Canadian goose poops up to FOUR POUNDS per day!!! YIKES! So the runoff from all that mess ends up in the lake eventually. That is far worse than just one application of this Goose Repellent, I would guess. The label on this Goose Repellent says not to spray it directly in water but that it is non-toxic if used as directed. My sister-in-law applied this stuff just once, and, hooray, the geese have left!

I can vouch for the amount of poop! We only have 2 and 4 babies and it takes no time before you can't even walk. I agree, it is awful for it to go in the lake too, talk about "messing" up the water!!

It is only supposed to last around 7 days though, right?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #38
Jeanzb1

I don't know about it lasting for only seven days. I doubt that the geese have a calendar and wait for the eighth day to come try the grass again! My sister-in-law applied it to their very large front lawn 2 1/2 weeks ago, and the geese left right away and have not returned. No sightings and no poop!
They have only applied it once.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #39
tis

Well, that's good to know. On the package I saw, it said reapply every 7-14 days but if once did it that's great!

They haven't been here today. Yea! Maybe the rope fence is working better than the flags which tended to droop with the weight. I had to keep pulling them up. Then sometimes they got too high closest to the post.

Or maybe the geese just aren't around.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #40
NHKathy

Default Yikes!

I started to read through this thread last week, before I was up there for the long weekend. When I arrived (Moultonborough), I asked my in-laws (who had been there about 4 or 5 days before us) if they had seen any geese, as I had read on the forum that they are quite numerous this year. They said they hadn't seen any. Later that afternoon, a group of birds flew in, first I thought they were ducks, then I realized they were geese and then more came and more! The beach was infested with geese! We chased them away, but before we did I took a few photos - I have never seen so many geese on our beach!
Attached Images

NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #41
Jonas Pilot

Default Holy Goose Poop!

That's more then I've ever seen on Winni. It looks like 3 or 4 families. Not including human bipeds.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #42
surfnsnow

get a dog - fun for the family - bad day for geese
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #43
NHKathy

Quote:
That's more then I've ever seen on Winni. It looks like 3 or 4 families. Not including human bipeds.
Me too!!
they were everywhere!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #44
SAB1

This is a big problem looming. However many there are now that nested up on lake the number will only increase. They pretty much nest in the same spot every year.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #45
tis

Oh man, NHKathy, do you know how much "waste" you were swimming with???? ICK, ick, ick.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #46
NHKathy

No no no... I was NOT in the water - I was on the beach in my chair.
They didn't stay long though, after they were scared off....
Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #47
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
No no no... I was NOT in the water - I was on the beach in my chair.
They didn't stay long though, after they were scared off....

Smart you! I wouldn't have been in that water either like those people were! The amount they generate is unbelievable. Don't worry, I am sure they will be back.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #48
Sunset View

Quote:
Smart you! I wouldn't have been in that water either like those people were! The amount they generate is unbelievable. Don't worry, I am sure they will be back.
Time to start taking matters into our own hands............this is out of control, we're going to lose our lake!!!!!
Sunset View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #49
AC2717

we used ballons on string attached to sticks (no hellium just my own hot air) and it worked, got sick of blowing them up everynight, so went to the string and streamer idea, worked and they are gone!
put it right where the water meets the land about a foot off the ground then hung multiple pieces of streamer off the string the whole length of the beach.
We had them all the way up on our deck! Lost count after 40 geese.
It is getting out of hand and the gov agencies need to step up or we need to take it into our own hands

the goose population, and turkey populations have exploded in the past 3 years and nothing has been done about it
Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #50
Jonas Pilot

Default Large lawn?

You're contributing to the problem.

From National Geographic;

Canada geese are adaptable to many habitats and may thrive wherever grasses, grains, or berries are available. Because of changing weather, settlement, and farming patterns, many Canada (not "Canadian") geese have begun to alter their migrations. Typically, the birds summered in northern North America and flew south when cold weather arrived. This cycle endures, but some northern populations have shortened their flight to traditional wintering grounds in the southern U.S. and Mexico. Other Canada geese have become permanent residents of parks, golf courses, suburban subdevelopments, and other human habitats across much of North America. In some areas, such as airports, they are so numerous that they are considered a nuisance. Just 50 geese can produce two and a half tons of excrement in a year.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co.../canada-goose/

Canada Geese live in a great many habitats near water, grassy fields, and grain fields. Canada Geese are particularly drawn to lawns for two reasons: they can digest grass, and when they are feeding with their young, manicured lawns give them a wide, unobstructed view of any approaching predators. So they are especially abundant in parks, airports, golf courses, and other areas with expansive lawns.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/c...se/lifehistory
Old 07-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #51
Woodsy

I am all for the preservation of nature... but!!

Nothing a paintball gun wont fix!

Woodsy
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #52
Grant

I've harped on this issue many times, and at the risk of repeating myself, I will reiterate...from experience.

Kill them now. If we don't, they will destroy the lake. Quickly.

I've spent every one of my 51 summers, plus a lot of spring, fall and winter time, on the Lake, and the sudden explosion of the Canada Goose population is the most worrisome development I've seen in those years.

The rest of my time is spent in Southeastern Pennsylvania, where it's already too late. The geese are everywhere, and many of our formerly drinkable/swimmable waters are now forever lost. These geese reproduce unchecked -- with ~6-10 offspring each spring. No predators to speak of (and the eggs are well protected), so the population just grows and grows each year. All they do is eat and poop, and the "green tootsie rolls" they leave behind are a major health hazard. Today, HUGE populations of geese reside in office campuses, golf courses, parks, school grounds -- anywhere there is grass and water.

The burgeoning goose population doesn't seem to be a problem in NH right now, but it will be. Trust me on this. I've seen the future of the Lakes Region, and if you want to see it, just come down here and check out Lake Nockamixon, Peace Valley Reservoir, Springfield Lake, Green Lane Reservoir, and other formerly usable bodies of water. Now disgusting and green-tinged.

I saw a family of four adults and about 20+ juveniles float by our place this spring, and threw handfuls of pebbles at them. No one was hurt...it just kept them moving...to somewhere else on the Lake. Sadly, it seems the only real solution is more drastic. Unfortunately, unless the State takes real action, I'm afraid it's too late, and we're just seeing the beginning.
Pineedles (07-10-2012), SAB1 (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #53
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
we used ballons on string attached to sticks (no hellium just my own hot air) and it worked, got sick of blowing them up everynight, so went to the string and streamer idea, worked and they are gone!
put it right where the water meets the land about a foot off the ground then hung multiple pieces of streamer off the string the whole length of the beach.
We had them all the way up on our deck! Lost count after 40 geese.
It is getting out of hand and the gov agencies need to step up or we need to take it into our own hands

the goose population, and turkey populations have exploded in the past 3 years and nothing has been done about it

I had been using streamers like car dealers used but they figured out after 2 years that they can squeeze over them or under them. My latest is swans floating in the lake and they haven't been back for 4 days. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #54
AC2717

Quote:
I had been using streamers like car dealers used but they figured out after 2 years that they can squeeze over them or under them. My latest is swans floating in the lake and they haven't been back for 4 days. Keeping my fingers crossed.
at about a foot in height?? just curious to see if I have to adjust them, I might be going way of the swans as well
Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #55
SAMIAM

Strings of flags work for me......I take them down when we're using the beach.Also I'm now trying out one of those motion detector oscillating sprinklers and it's a ball.
Geese swim up to it and the thing sends a huge burst of water at them which only lasts a few seconds.The whole flock just erupted and got out of there.
I'm going to leave it in as long as they don't get used to it because it is less unsightly than the flags.
Also,quite funny when the cat goes down for a drink.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #56
AkwaMarina

Default Gators

At the suggestion of Donna at Getaway Wear, we bought a couple of these http://www.amazon.com/Bird-X-GG-Gato...8570407&sr=8-3

and as funny as they look, they seem like they might work, and they make for a laugh with kids on the beach.

Just another possible solution

Kurt
AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #57
RailroadJoe

Why doesn't out great EPA (Environmental ?) do something about this pollution. They seem to be as useless as the rest of the three letter groups.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #58
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
at about a foot in height?? just curious to see if I have to adjust them, I might be going way of the swans as well
You can try that. It might be a little high. Mine didn't stay put so I was always adjusting them someplace. Believe me, you will know when they figure out where the low or high point is. I just took them down and put up two rows of pink twine but they go through that too. I did get sick of the flags and since they weren't working anymore I decided to try the twine. Samiam gave me the idea of the streamers. If I didn't have so much frontage it would be a lot easier. That is the problem, they get used to things.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #59
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkwaMarina View Post
At the suggestion of Donna at Getaway Wear, we bought a couple of these http://www.amazon.com/Bird-X-GG-Gato...8570407&sr=8-3

and as funny as they look, they seem like they might work, and they make for a laugh with kids on the beach.

Just another possible solution

Kurt
I haven't seen the alligators. I tried the coyote and the owl that moves his head and hoots when detecting motion but neither of those were successful.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #60
AC2717

Quote:
Strings of flags work for me......I take them down when we're using the beach.Also I'm now trying out one of those motion detector oscillating sprinklers and it's a ball.
Geese swim up to it and the thing sends a huge burst of water at them which only lasts a few seconds.The whole flock just erupted and got out of there.
I'm going to leave it in as long as they don't get used to it because it is less unsightly than the flags.
Also,quite funny when the cat goes down for a drink.
can you send me a link to the sprinkler?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #61
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Why doesn't out great EPA (Environmental ?) do something about this pollution. They seem to be as useless as the rest of the three letter groups.
How 'bout the DES and the EPA that want to protect the lake from everything we do, Goose droppings are much more harmful to the water than anything we could do along the shoreline

they were the reason that Weirs Beach was closed due to bacteria, it was goose excrament
Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #62
SAMIAM

Found it on Amazon.com.....just type in "Scarecrow Sprinkler"

I just moved mine away from the water a little because the waves were setting it off.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #63
Newbiesaukee

Apparently they can be killed under certain circumstances, even in NH.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/articl...ogle&page=full

Old 07-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #64
garysanfran

Default It's Tracey Quigley's fault...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Apparently they can be killed under certain circumstances, even in NH.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/articl...ogle&page=full
When people like her go away, so will the geese!!!
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #65
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Canada Geese live in a great many habitats near water, grassy fields, and grain fields. Canada Geese are particularly drawn to lawns for two reasons: they can digest grass, and when they are feeding with their young, manicured lawns give them a wide, unobstructed view of any approaching predators.
Yet another good reason not to have lawns lakeside!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Grant (07-11-2012), Jonas Pilot (07-10-2012), KPW (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #66
barefootbay

I would think that the state would become involved quickly as the lakes region represents so much of what NH is, not to mention the huge amount of revenue it represents.
Perhaps words to your state reps. would help bring the importance of this into offical recognition.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #67
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootbay View Post
I would think that the state would become involved quickly as the lakes region represents so much of what NH is, not to mention the huge amount of revenue it represents.
Perhaps words to your state reps. would help bring the importance of this into offical recognition.
If you have concerns about wildlife in New Hampshire your questions should be addressed to the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department. They are the ones that know best about our habitats and the animals we share them with.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #68
Jonas Pilot

Default Contact a Conservation Officer

Here's how to contact your local Conservation Officer (C.O.): call Fish and Game's Dispatch Office at 603-271-3361. The line is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; from Sept. 1 to Dec. 5, it's open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The Dispatcher will radio your local C.O.

If you have a question about wildlife, fishing, hunting, OHRVs, etc., please try the search box (top right) or Frequently Asked Questions section first.

DISTRICT 2
Region 2
Box 417
New Hampton, NH 03256
(603) 744-5470
Lt. James Goss; Sgt. B. Abrams; R. Arsenault; M. Eastman; M. Hensel; B. Morse; A. Lopashanski
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
CateP (07-12-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #69
secondcurve

Quote:
Here's how to contact your local Conservation Officer (C.O.): call Fish and Game's Dispatch Office at 603-271-3361. The line is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; from Sept. 1 to Dec. 5, it's open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The Dispatcher will radio your local C.O.

If you have a question about wildlife, fishing, hunting, OHRVs, etc., please try the search box (top right) or Frequently Asked Questions section first.

DISTRICT 2
Region 2
Box 417
New Hampton, NH 03256
(603) 744-5470
Lt. James Goss; Sgt. B. Abrams; R. Arsenault; M. Eastman; M. Hensel; B. Morse; A. Lopashanski
JP:

I don't need to contact my local conservation officer to know that Canadian Geese in the lakes region are a problem and hopefully, my local conservation officer doesn't need me to contact him to be told that Canadian Geese are a problem. Let's increase the bag limit on these flying rats! If everyone killed a couple we could solve the problem quickly.

Last edited by secondcurve; 07-11-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #70
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
JP:

I don't need to contact my local conservation officer to know that Canadian Geese in the lakes region are a problem and hopefully, my local conservation officer doesn't need me to contact him to be told that Canadian Geese are a problem. Let's increase the bag limit on these flying rats! If everyone killed a couple we could solve the problem quickly.
Do you not think the "squeaky wheel gets the oil"? The more people that contact the right authorities the better chance of getting something done.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #71
secondcurve

Quote:
Do you not think the "squeaky wheel gets the oil"? The more people that contact the right authorities the better chance of getting something done.
That is a good point. Thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #72
barefootbay

Thats exactly the point that I was trying to get across!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #73
SAB1

Likely it may help to make calls and file complaints with NH F&G. It could be wrong but I am thinking it would take time to implement changes to a goose hunting season. I believe all migratory waterfowl are actually under juristriction of the Federal Government and The State would have to work with the Fed's for changes.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #74
John A. Birdsall

Default super

Send them to susiville, they have loud music and they could use the geese for supper. How do you cook a goose?
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John A. Birdsall For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #75
Newbiesaukee

I'll ask my wife...she always tells me mine is cooked.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-12-2012), KPW (07-13-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #76
SAMIAM

Quote:
You were the one that gave me the flag idea. They worked great for a couple of years, but this year they learned to go over or under them.
Just noticed your post tis....the best way to string them is just drive 3 or 4 posts into the ground (or beach) and string them tightly so they don't droop.The tips of the flags should be carely touching the ground so they can't go under them.
Last two years it worked great......they got discouraged and stopped coming.
This year I'm trying the motion detector sprinkler......so far it's working.Also keeps my cats from thinking the beach is their private cat box.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #77
tis

Quote:
Just noticed your post tis....the best way to string them is just drive 3 or 4 posts into the ground (or beach) and string them tightly so they don't droop.The tips of the flags should be carely touching the ground so they can't go under them.
Last two years it worked great......they got discouraged and stopped coming.
This year I'm trying the motion detector sprinkler......so far it's working.Also keeps my cats from thinking the beach is their private cat box.
That's what I did and for a few weeks this year, it worked. Then they got very persistent and if one drooped and I didn't notice or was high close to the post, they found it and got through. I was always adjusting them. It was almost a full time job with the length of the property. If it was just a 100' frontage lot, it would be a lot easier.

Anyway, I haven't had any for 10 days. Is it the swans or have they gone away for the season?