Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
Sunbeam lodge

Question Counter top Burn

A guest accidentally put a hot pan on my kitchen countertop and left a round burn mark. The top is made of oak and has polyeurothane on it. I have stripped it down to the bare wood but the burn mark remains. The burn mark is not too deep. Does anyone know a way to remove the burn mark without replacing the whole countertop. Will bleach work?
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
KevinPlante

If you can get away with sanding it down a bit, I'd try that.
KevinPlante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #3
RLW

Thumbs up Burnt Oak countertop

That countertop is just like an oak floor. You can not just do the burn mark as it will stand out like a sore thumb. Sorry, but the whole countertop has to be taken down evenly so it will all match in color and evenness. If bleach should work, it will turn it almost white in color. Not the news you were hoping to hear is it?
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:45 PM   #4
GWC...

Question Flip - flop...

Is it possible to turn the board over and use the botom for the top - at least the burn spot would be out of sight and mind?
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:22 PM   #5
Sunbeam lodge

Unhappy

Looks like This is going to be an expensive proposition as the counter is 14 feet long and 30 inches wide and it is all one piece of glued oak plank
Thanks anyways for the response.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2004, 09:11 PM   #6
RI Swamp Yankee

Lightbulb options

Well, you could put the same pan down again in 4 more overlaping locations and call it your custom made Olympic countertop.

Somewhere I heard of using toothpaste apply with a toothbrush, I suspect it is a bit like bleach and would probably still be detecable after sanding and refinishing.

If you are handy with a router and a wood chisel you could cut out the section to the depth of ceramic or stone tile and set a tile piece into the countertop. You would have a built in "hot mat" for the next time it happens.

Last edited by RI Swamp Yankee; 05-10-2004 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling
RI Swamp Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:21 AM   #7
madrasahs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee
If you are handy with a router and a wood chisel you could cut out the section to the depth of ceramic or stone tile and set a tile piece into the countertop. You would have a built in "hot mat" for the next time it happens.
I like all these suggestions. Instead of insetting a tile, you could set in a cutting board, which could be turned over "for next time". (I put an opaque glass cutting board over a similar spot).

I've used household bleach with mixed results: Start with a dilute 1:4 solution, allow to dry, and work towards more (1:3, 1:2) concentrated solutions.

A belt sander could make short work of refinishing the entire counter, followed by finishing sandings. (A portable wood planer might be the answer if the damage is deeper than perceived -- Harbor Freight sells one, or you could rent either locally).
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote