Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
winnipiseogee

Default Akwa Marina / American Boat Club

Anyone have a sense of what the crowd's like at the Akwa Marina? (And please feel free to chime in here Kurt!)

We've got very young kids and have been trying to figure out what the best way of getting back on the lake is. Buying another boat and getting a slip may be more of a commitment than we have the time to make.

An American Boat Club membership seems like a great way to go. The kids would love the beach and the pool so thats an added plus.

My only concern is that I get the impression Akwa Marina is more of a bar/party scene (i.e. Naswa) and not so much about sand castles, sippy cups and swim diapers.

Anyone have experience and care to share?
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
AkwaMarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
Anyone have a sense of what the crowd's like at the Akwa Marina? (And please feel free to chime in here Kurt!)

We've got very young kids and have been trying to figure out what the best way of getting back on the lake is. Buying another boat and getting a slip may be more of a commitment than we have the time to make.

An American Boat Club membership seems like a great way to go. The kids would love the beach and the pool so thats an added plus.

My only concern is that I get the impression Akwa Marina is more of a bar/party scene (i.e. Naswa) and not so much about sand castles, sippy cups and swim diapers.

Hello,
Thank you for considering us. The American Boat Club is a great option for you. I think you would enjoy the club. I think most people consider the club very family fun. Most members have kids of all ages. Your children I am sure would meet some new friends. Be aware when building sand castles my two year old like to sneak over and "borrow" shovels :-)
The naswa is a lot of fun but I don't think we are comparable, we are an entirely different atmosphere.
I am sure some people will chime in and give you their opinion. You can give me a call/text any time at 603.231.6002 or email Kurt@akwamarina.com or kurt@americanboatclubnh.com
Go pats!
Thanks
Kurt
AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post

While adults can certainly have fun at Akwa, I definitely would not hesitate to bring kids there at any hours of the day.

If I lived anywhere near there, I would gladly slip my boat there!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
WakeboardMom

I second the opinion of VitaBene above. I've been to the restaurant on several occasions for both lunch and dinner and have seen lots of families enjoying the facilities. I've never found the atmosphere to be quite as much of a party as the Naswa, but it certainly does have a friendly, relaxing vibe.

(We often talk about "what if," because while we feel lucky to have a place, who knows what could happen tomorrow? The American Boat Club and Akwa Marina would definitely be an option we'd consider if our circumstances changed.)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Rich

I'd love to be at Akwa, it's such a beautiful place with a lot of features to offer.

Unfortunately we personally find the docks just have too much motion. At times we've found it a challenge just to even walk on the docks. As an over nighter, it's just too much motion for us.

I'd suggest that anyone walk on the docks during the peak of any weekend to see what I'm talking about before they commit to a rental agreement.

If you are the type to just get to the boat and head out on the water for the day, without spending much time at the dock, then this may not be an issue for you.

Sorry to post what may sound like a negative message here, I really like Akwa! I just wish it was a bit calmer there so I could consider it.

There were times that I wanted to stop by with my boat on the weekend, but I just didn't want to chance my boat's gel coat getting scraped up on the transient dock. We found that an alternative is to dock at the Weirs town dock and then walk to the Akwa for some lunch.

It sure is a beautiful spot with one of the best views of the lake.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
Water Camper

Rich,

We've stopped many time at Akwa for lunch or a quick drink or to meet friends. I have not had an issue with parking my boat there. Between the large bumpers they provide and my own I have not had an issue with scratching my gelcoat.

Just my 2 cents,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
fpartri497

Its quite difficult to dock a jet ski at Akwa marine I have tried several times actually Its dangerous; with the wave action on their floating docks makes it haserdes.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
AkwaMarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
Its quite difficult to dock a jet ski at Akwa marine I have tried several times actually Its dangerous; with the wave action on their floating docks makes it haserdes.

Figured I would point this out again. We have a shallow beach in a calm area that you can pull your jetski up on. There are no cleats or anything since these are not actual slips this is just a place to beach your jetski for temporary use. The area is highlighted in red. (sorry quality, made on cell phone)
All docking is at your own risk
Attached Images

AkwaMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AkwaMarina For This Useful Post:
dave603 (02-04-2015), Pineedles (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
dave603

I was wondering why you'd dock a jet ski anyway?
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #10
Phantom

Although very commonplace to see (and do)

"Beaching" it is the worst practice ever for a Jet Ski.

Sand dragged into the impeller area during beaching, wave action circulating sand up in and around the impeller -- works wonders on the bearings in short order !!

Even operating one in extremely shallow water is not recommended as the sandy bottom is stirred up and sucked into the impeller

Ask my dealer -- that was the root cause of two of my machine failures
VitaBene (02-04-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I found that out first hand with a jet boat, Phantom.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (02-04-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 06:00 AM   #12
winnipiseogee

Thanks All! This has been incredibly helpful. Sounds like Akwa would be a great place for the kids to hang out this summer!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #13
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkwaMarina View Post
Figured I would point this out again. We have a shallow beach in a calm area that you can pull your jetski up on. There are no cleats or anything since these are not actual slips this is just a place to beach your jetski for temporary use. The area is highlighted in red. (sorry quality, made on cell phone)
thank you I never knew that beach was there never having been on that side of the docks. we do like to frequent the Restaurant/bar for lunch.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkwaMarina View Post
Kurt,

I would never beach my jet ski... could I drop my small anchor over just off the beach, and moor my jetski in that area while indulging in a burger?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #15
SIKSUKR

I would be surprised if any any small pwc anchor would hold with the wave action there. Except maybe a screw-in anchor.
fpartri497 (02-05-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #16
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
Rich,

We've stopped many time at Akwa for lunch or a quick drink or to meet friends. I have not had an issue with parking my boat there. Between the large bumpers they provide and my own I have not had an issue with scratching my gelcoat.

Just my 2 cents,
Bill
I'm glad you have had good luck. I have a larger boat and have tried to come in once or twice to the public docks. I took one look at the bouncing docks and left for calmer waters.

I know of two other larger boats that have done the same thing.

By larger, I'm talking boats in the 38 to 42 ft range.

Unfortunately, the amount of wave action during the day at the public docks on a busy summer weekend would cause my boat to bounce off the fenders constantly. I have a black gel coat that shows all scratches easily. This amount of action will cause scratches on the gel coat that would need to be buffed out. Too much buffing will eventually lead to excessive wear on the gel coat. I care about the looks of my boat. Need I say more?

So I opted to dock at the Weirs beach town docks and walk to the Akwa.

I'd would only suggest that if someone was considering this marina to walk on the docks during the peak hours of a busy summer weekend so they can decide for themselves if the wave action is enough to bother them.

IMHO, if you're the type to want to relax at the docks on your boat for any amount of time, I would think that the constant wave action would wear on you and your boat.

It's such a beautiful spot! A break water would solve the wave action issues, but would also take away from the beauty of the place. I'm sure the DES would not like another breakwater on the lake.

I'm not trying to bash the Akwa. I'd love to be there. But I just thought I would mention the wave action. If someone has young kids, they may also want to think about this. Perhaps I'm overly cautious?
Old 02-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #17
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I would be surprised if any any small pwc anchor would hold with the wave action there. Except maybe a screw-in anchor.
I will second that Thanks wave action at those docks are very strong

Old 05-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #18
bfitzsmith

It's definitely not a safe place to dock your boat and not a safe place for kids to swim due to the boat and jet ski traffic on the weekend. Boats and jet skis can't seem to keep themselves out of the swim area while maneuvering to dock.
bfitzsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #19
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default "What's the crowd like?"

That was the original question. As often occurs, there was some wandering.
Unrelated thoughts: Some of us have a better sense of balance than others, and the point is well taken, if you don't like dock motion, you should test walk it.
I haven't had a jet ski for years, but when I did, the manual offered suggestions for flushing the intake after beaching and before starting the motor.

As far as I can tell, AKWA has a thriving business, so I'm surprised to see some of the above posts. Certainly they have many happy, family, customers. That's what the facility is designed for, and I think they have achieved their goal.

To the original question: The last time I was there, 2014, I had a group that ranged from age 3 to 75 (10 people, the docking was on the south side, not much motion for a Saturday.) We were all comfortable with the (lunch) crowd and enjoyed ourselves. Our server had to make a couple of extra trips because we ate outside at the picnic tables and the service bar was upstairs. We had an unobstructed view, the real young ones could wander around without bothering anybody, and it was just a great event. We'll be back.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote