Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What is your first reaction to the new Forum?
A change was needed, I like it already. 38 48.10%
I'm not sure until I use it for a while. 32 40.51%
I already miss the old forum. 9 11.39%
What new Forum? 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts
Default Welcome Back to the NEW Forum

Welcome back. It has been an intense day getting the new forum ready for you but here it is. The last 2000 messages posted on the old forum have been transferred here and you can pick up the threads right where they left off.

This new Forum has many new features to enhance your forum experience including the poll and avatar you see connected to this message.

I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by webmaster; 04-06-2004 at 09:14 PM.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:21 PM   #2
Steve

Nice job! I visit a lot of forums, and always struggled with the Winni forums. The list format was tough to navigate through...now let's see once I try to post this if all messages still need to be approved before they appear (I hope not!).

Anyway, thanks again!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
Steve

I guess that answers my question about moderation. Now that everyone needs to register, and we know who we are, can we lift that little requirement? I think it greatly slows down active participation, as results are delayed. Just a thought.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:34 PM   #4
Merrymeeting

Thumbs up Well done!

Despite the sometimes heated discussions, this remains one of the better, on-topic forums on the web. Thanks for all you do to allow us to keep in touch with happenings in the Lakes Region.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:50 PM   #5
JayDV

Default Just like Christmas!

Opening all these things, trying all the features. Yep, it is definitely holiday fun time.

I really did like the split screen and the NEW attribute on the threads before, so I could quickly scan thru the list, find the new posts, see/read same thread posts at a glance.

If there is still a way to just list all NEW posts like before, I would like the "how-to".

Great job, Don. Thanks
JayDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
Skip

All I can say is "Wow"....it really is different.

However, it is similar in nature to most of the other boards I use, so I will be able to navigate & keep track of threads better with this format.

I really appreciate the work you put in to this site, and as you can tell - I am one of your most prolific visitors.

There is really a great group of people that frequent this site. We all truly appreciate the forum and the ability you have given us to freely exchange thoughts and opinions on one of New Hampshire's greatest assets.

Thanks Don!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #7
webmaster

Quote:
I guess that answers my question about moderation. Now that everyone needs to register, and we know who we are, can we lift that little requirement?
That is something I'm considering although I've had this new system up for about an hour and I need to see how it goes.

Although at one time I didn't screen posts on the old forum that was impossible in the last few years. Almost every day people attempted to post attacks, advertisements, and unrelated posts that would ruin the Forum if they got through unmoderated. I have been able to block several problem IPs but other new ones are always finding the site.

I will be watching to see if those kind of problems go away now that registration and email validation are required. If they do I'll definately try it with moderation off. It would certainly be easier for me and good for the Forum as well.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:15 PM   #8
Steve

Thanks, good to know you're thinking about it...
Old 04-05-2004, 08:19 PM   #9
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDV
I really did like the split screen and the NEW attribute on the threads before, so I could quickly scan thru the list, find the new posts, see/read same thread posts at a glance.

If there is still a way to just list all NEW posts like before, I would like the "how-to".
As far as I can tell, this does exist via the "New Posts" option at the top of the screen. It directs you to:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/....php?do=getnew
Old 04-05-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDV
Just click "New Posts" in the menu bar. It seems like that has the same function of showing you the new messages since your last visit.

Just as a reminder to everyone, if there are any other questions or comments about the forum system or any part of the site please use the Site Support Forum.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 11:33 PM   #11
KevinPlante

Default Nice new format!

I like the new format.

I think the posts should go up immediately, then be subject to moderation. If the problems of advertisements and serious flamage come up, those posts can be easily deleted and those repeat offenders banned. That is how it works on another forum I am on, and it works very well. By the way, is there a spell checker on here?

The other forum I am on:
http://speedzilla.zeroforum.com/zeromain
KevinPlante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:08 AM   #12
GWC...

I'm lost...

Why is the time one hour behind?

Is it Fall, already? :rolleyes:

This forum style reminds me of an ASUS (motherboard) forum in Germany. Liked it alot...

P.S.- I think some posters, unfortunately, will always need moderating. The ones who object are usually the ones who require moderating.

P.P.S.- Where's the spell check button?
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:02 AM   #13
Mink Islander

Thumbs up Terrific!

We all appreciate so much your dedication to this site. This latest upgrade is tremendous. I'm having fun this a.m. poking around in all the new features. Thanks again!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:15 AM   #14
jeffk

Default Reading is not as easy.

While I like a lot of the new features and the general layout my primary use of the forum has been for READING a post. Previously the navigation was at the top of the screen and the message at the bottom. The screen didn't jump around or need repositioning every time I opened a message.

Now, If I use linear mode I can't easily tell what message a post is responding to. So I switch to hybrid or threaded mode. Now every time I select a message the screen jumps and I need to reposition it to read the message. I've poked around to see if I can anchor the thread list with the message list below so my screen isn't jumping around but so far I don't see how. I'll keep looking for a while.

As far as I am concerned this makes the forum significantly harder to browse. All the rest of the features are just great but not worth the cost. I used to be a daily reader. With this inconvienient display mode I will occasionally drop by to search for information but it's too annoying to deal with on a daily basis.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:56 AM   #15
hazelnut

Default Face with a Name

I guess it's kind of nice to see a face that goes along with the title WEBMASTER. Thanks for the hard work and I do like the forum. It is more the norm style I guess.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:12 AM   #16
Gilly 20

Cool Gilly 20

I think this forum will be fun. like the last one. I'm having trouble fiquring out how to post and to reply- HELP!
Gilly 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:14 AM   #17
Steve

GWC, check your Time settings in your profile. Make sure you're set to the right timezone.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:18 AM   #18
hazelnut

Thumbs up Checking it out

This is kind of like having a new car or boat. I am just finding a million different options. I like it.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:33 AM   #19
osterber

I'm another fan of lifting the strict moderation. It would allow for more immediate conversation. You should consider a small team of trusted moderator people who can go in and remove or lock threads that get inappropriate or out of hand.

-Rick
osterber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:10 AM   #20
webmaster

Spell Check

The vBulletin syetm does not come with its own spell check but WebBBS didn't either. It was a 3rd party add on service that I think is adaptable to the new forum as well. After I get the operational bugs worked out I'll look into adding the spellchecker.

Re: Reading is not as easy

I understand your comments Jeffk but I can't please everyone. Actually one of the biggest complaints I received about the old Forum was the frames display. I was constantly reminding people that it could be shut off.

When viewing a thread on the new Forum there is much less clicking and loading of pages since the thread appears as one long list. This is less demanding on the server and should be faster for most people.

I have warned that there are differences in the way the new Forum works and that it may take some adjustment. The threaded display is definately different and takes some getting used to. You can no longer reply directly to a message and start a sub-thread. Instead the preferred method is to quote the message you want to respond to or take it to another thread if you want to change the subject.

Actually the limiting of sub-threads could be a good thing. Another complaint I frequently received on the old Forum is that threads would veer off into sub-threads that had little to do with the original topic. This new format discourages that and I will too.

Sorry that your first impression was negative Jeffk. I hope you'll give it a chance.

Please post comments or questions about site operation on the Site Support Forum!

Last edited by webmaster; 04-06-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:31 AM   #21
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Am I missing the option somewhere or have you disabled avatar uploading?

I wanted to use my waving loon pic.
I have enabled custom avatars and you can now upload one through your User CP. Sorry, just an oversight.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:58 AM   #22
Bear Islander

Thanks!

I have used vBulletin before and love it.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #23
Lady Di

Question I think I like it....

It is more like other forums I visit, so it should be easy once I get used to it. You look cute, Don. Nice to know who you are, finally. Thanks. I, too, am hoping there is no delay in posting. AN "off-topic" forum might be nice, as it's nice to share ideas and suggestions with fellow (past) New Englanders, and not just necessarily Lake Winni related subjects. Will we still be able to check the winnicam?
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:29 PM   #24
jasn

Default A small suggestion?

WOuld you please put a big title link to the main page at the top of the screen? It would make it a lot easier getting between pages.

Thx. The new place looks great!
jasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:43 PM   #25
Melli_Fera

Cool

Hey Don, the site is absolutely FANTASTIC!

Looking forward to more postings!

~ Melissa (The former Emeljee99)

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face... stars to fill my dreams
I am a traveler of both time and space... to be where I have been...
Melli_Fera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 05:52 PM   #26
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Smile Great Job Don!

Still trying to figure it all out but just checking to see if I could post. It all looks great. A terrific improvement.
Jsn: Why not scroll to the very bottom of the page and click the winni.com logo?
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 07:25 PM   #27
Brian

Default I like it!

Nice work Don. I like it.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:47 PM   #28
Island Girl

Smile While the ice melts

Great job, Don.

Learning the new features and getting used to the new format is a good activity while we wait for ice-out... it will get me through the next 2-3 weeks!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:48 AM   #29
tricia1218

Thumbs up

I agree with island girl, nice distraction while we wait for ice out!

I really like the new format!
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote