Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default I hope you read this

Early Saturday morning about 7:30 near the Gilford/Alton line on Rte 11, I was heading east when I saw this big turtle making its way across the road. I have never seen such a big turtle pick itself up as it walk across the road. I stop to make sure other motorist pay attention. A few motorists behind me actually enjoy watching the guy! A few cars going West slowed down and were careful going around the turtle. I'm surprise no one would stop to make sure no one would run over the animal.

There was a white Navigator traveling fairly fast west and I flash my lights hoping the driver would slow down. All of a sudden those behind me were also flashing and honking their horns. The driver is not letting up!

I notice some blonde bimbo driving without a care in the world. The turtle's body was bouncing to the side of the road. I notice out of state plates on the Navigator. She did not slow down or stop!

There was utter silence among us. This was totally uncalled for!

I have no regards for thoughtless and careless people. I hope she is satisfied with her visit to this great state.
aquabones (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Chaselady

There seems to be a number of people like that in this world...unfortunately they aren't on this forum!
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
jetlag100

So what happened to the turtle? Did he get thrown around, or did he die?
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
GTO

Default its not complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Early Saturday morning about 7:30 near the Gilford/Alton line on Rte 11, I was heading east when I saw this big turtle making its way across the road. I have never seen such a big turtle pick itself up as it walk across the road. I stop to make sure other motorist pay attention. A few motorists behind me actually enjoy watching the guy! A few cars going West slowed down and were careful going around the turtle. I'm surprise no one would stop to make sure no one would run over the animal.

There was a white Navigator traveling fairly fast west and I flash my lights hoping the driver would slow down. All of a sudden those behind me were also flashing and honking their horns. The driver is not letting up!

I notice some blonde bimbo driving without a care in the world. The turtle's body was bouncing to the side of the road. I notice out of state plates on the Navigator. She did not slow down or stop!

"mmmmm, but if your a slow turtle and your in the middle of the road...what happens?....Austin......."
There was utter silence among us. This was totally uncalled for!
Old 07-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Onshore

not surprising...
http://news.yahoo.com/college-studen...182457207.html
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
NHBUOY

Thumbs down

Sad article right there ST. That isn't what I would call "...the dark side of human nature..", that is defective mentalities at work. Sad & sickening.
And BH the turtle wrangler gets a thumbs up..
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
gravy boat

Thumbs down Pathetic

That's right where our little slice of heaven lies.

So sad.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
aquabones

Default turtles crossing

Last year there was a turtle crossing the entrance ramp onto the Tenney mt Highway. I stopped the car, got out and made my husband pick up the turtle and put it on the other side of the road. Next thing-- a police car pulls behind me and reprimanded me for what i just did. At least I got the turtle to safety.
aquabones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aquabones For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-24-2013), BroadHopper (07-23-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
wifi

Default SUV's

I know there is a courteous/caring/human SUV drive out there........somewhere......
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
gillygirl

I had a high school classmate in freshman English who put a turtle in a trash bag, set it in the road, waited until a car had run over it, then placed the bag on the English teacher's chair. The following year he strangled his girlfriend, tied her body to a tree, and set her on fire. They say serial killers start with animals.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
8gv

A few weeks ago I saw a large snapping turtle facing the traffic lanes of 93. He was poised to make a mad dash across the highway. There was so much traffic I doubt he made it across.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
I had a high school classmate in freshman English who put a turtle in a trash bag, set it in the road, waited until a car had run over it, then placed the bag on the English teacher's chair. The following year he strangled his girlfriend, tied her body to a tree, and set her on fire. They say serial killers start with animals.
Did hr drive an SUV ?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #13
dpg

When you try to help and pick them up ALWAYs carry them in the direction they were heading. Never put them back to the side of the road from which they were coming. They're always walking in a particular direction for a reason. Seems like common sense but ya never know!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

WE have stopped for many turtles and helped them across the road. We also stop for chipmunks and squirrels which I swear someday is going to get us rear ended. Just can't bear to hit them though.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
WE have stopped for many turtles and helped them across the road. We also stop for chipmunks and squirrels which I swear someday is going to get us rear ended. Just can't bear to hit them though.
I'll hit the brakes for animals if there is no one behind me, otherwise I'll run over it, usually they get out of the way, but occasionally........

Slamming brakes on for small animals with someone behind you is dangerous, human life is more important.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-23-2013), dave603 (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Did hr drive an SUV ?
Strange that you found humor in this post.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
CateP

If it's any consolation, we rescued a painted turtle the other day. We actually relocated it in a nearby pond, FAR from any road. Felt good to do that.

Unfortunately some visitors to our region are not "nature aware" or "tuned in to their environment." Sad for them. They are missing out.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
dave603

Default Cate

From what I've noticed, too many are too busy talking on cell phones to notice a turtle, sometimes not even my truck towing the boat.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
If it's any consolation, we rescued a painted turtle the other day. We actually relocated it in a nearby pond, FAR from any road. Felt good to do that.
That turtle was probably trying to get to a place to lay eggs; if so, bringing it to a pond, especially an unfamiliar one, was not doing it any favors.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
hilltopper (07-24-2013), jmen24 (07-23-2013), Lakemamma (07-24-2013), RailroadJoe (07-23-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
HomeWood

I just move them across the street in whatever direction they were going. They're not lost (usually). We have lots of Box turtles here that get hit.

If it's a Snapping turtle that needs a hand, don't be afraid to grab it by the tail if you're brave enough. You won't hurt it and it's head can't reach around to chomp you.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
aquabones (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #21
hilltopper

That reminds me of a funny story. I had some family coming over to the house one day. They get to the house and pull a large box out of the minivan. I look in the box and there's a large snapping turtle. I ask my Mom why the heck she has a turtle with her. She says she found it down the hill from the house and thought the kids would enjoy bringing it to the pond/marshland that we have about 200 or so yards into the woods behind the house. I suggested we bring it back to where she found it but she was adamant.

A couple of days later I'm in the kitchen doing something and I look out the window and see the snapping turtle walking down the driveway. Over the next few hours I watched its progress as it made its way down the hill presumably back to where Mom found it.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #22
Pineedles

The DEEP in CT is about to announce a hunting season on snapping turtles with specific dates for harvest and limit number. Their reasoning is that commercial turtle hunters are diminishing the population of the turtles and by establishing a season the population will be better protected as there are no laws presently governing their capture. On the surface some folks are aghast at this but actually it makes sense.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
CateP

Default What I Learned About Turtles Crossing the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
That turtle was probably trying to get to a place to lay eggs; if so, bringing it to a pond, especially an unfamiliar one, was not doing it any favors.
Hmm. Didn't think about that. Looks like I need to learn some more about turtles crossing the road.

Here is a good resource:
http://www.turtlerescueleague.com/crossing/titr.html

Key take-aways...
"Make sure to put the turtle in the direction it was heading, NEVER TURN THEM AROUND! The turtle is on a mission, and if you turn it around, it will simply go back across the road when you drive away."

"Although you may be tempted to relocate a turtle, don't. Many turtles have "Home Ranges", a territory they call home, and when relocated, they will search out ways back. Besides risking many additional road crossings, some turtles, if they cannot find their way back will stop eating and just wander listlessly."

THANKS DAVE R for the good advice.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
Billy Bob

Key take-aways...
"Make sure to put the turtle in the direction it was heading, NEVER TURN THEM AROUND! The turtle is on a mission, and if you turn it around, it will simply go back across the road when you drive away."

"Although you may be tempted to relocate a turtle, don't. Many turtles have "Home Ranges", a territory they call home, and when relocated, they will search out ways back. Besides risking many additional road crossings, some turtles, if they cannot find their way back will stop eating and just wander listlessly."

This explains a lot !!! My mother in law has the same issue , also can't eat till she makes it to our house
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
Ride & Dive (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #25
Begonezvous

Default My good deed for today

I was out for bike ride this morning and came across a small turtle crossing a well travelled road. I picked up the little fella and placed he/she on the side of the road (the side he was facing). I hope he had not just turned around to see how much progress he had made?
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:53 AM   #26
aquabones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Key take-aways...

This explains a lot !!! My mother in law has the same issue , also can't eat till she makes it to our house
this is a good fact for people trying to help the turtles.
aquabones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
Misty Blue

Default Why did the turtle cross the road?

I have been told that when you see a turtle crossing the road it is a female heading to lay eggs. They are very particular about the location.

'Saved two BIG snappers this year. One was as big as a monopoly board!

A motorist had stopped and was warning other drivers of the situatiion and I pulled over. I got a strap put of my truck and passed one end to the helpful driver and we put it in front of the turtles head and it snapped it up. As we were slowly dragging it across the road (same direction!) one irate driver tooted his horn and said "Hurry it up". With a wink and a smile I called back that we were hurd'en turtles and it takes time! He shook his head and with a smile gave us a thumbs up.

Lotsa nice folks out there too!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
ChocolateGypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I'll hit the brakes for animals if there is no one behind me, otherwise I'll run over it, usually they get out of the way, but occasionally........

Slamming brakes on for small animals with someone behind you is dangerous, human life is more important.
i thought drivers were supposed to keep a safe distance so they wouldn't run into a car which had to stop suddenly? (i.e. 1 car length per every 10 mph.) I was also told I was not supposed to overdrive my ability to stop if something should suddenly appear ON the road ahead of me... I wonder how many motorcyclists have been killed by the car behind them?

Just droppin' in for a bite.
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #29
RailroadJoe

Have you driven the roads lately? One car for every 70 miles per hour is standard to some.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
ChocolateGypsy (07-27-2013)