Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Grady223

Default Green "Cotton Candy" Algae

I have witnessed a bloom of Green "Cotton Candy" Algae in the shallow water near our cottage. I understand that they may not represent compromised water, then again may represent a local pollution issue. We have had small amounts over the past few years but this year it is particularly bad. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is there any way to get rid of it? Am I alone or are others seeing the same thing?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

I can't answer your question but I can tell you to keep any and all pets (especially dogs) away from it as it will kill them!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
NHBUOY

Question

Really.? Explain.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

You could try a call to the DES water division.

http://des.nh.gov/organization/divis...ater/index.htm
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Jonas Pilot

Default Metaphyton?

I think it might be metaphyton.
Attached Images

Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (08-24-2012), Redwing (08-24-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Cyanobacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBUOY View Post
Really.? Explain.
Those algae blooms may contain cyanobacteria which is very poisonous to all pets. Our vet was recently up visiting us and we saw some algae blooms near ragged island. She warned us to keep our dog away from it, which we already knew. You can read more about it here... http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/pos...-harm-your-dog

Here are the most recent advisories from the DES... http://www2.des.state.nh.us/Advisories/Beaches/

As an fyi... For whatever reason, the West side of bear island seems to get a lot of cyanobacteria advisories every year. I believe one was issued this year in early July.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
NHBUOY (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I suggest giving DES a call, and notifying them, maybe they will send someone out to look at it...

Unfortunately, the more people use the lake, the more we are going to have to worry about the quality of the water....
Old 08-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
Jeanzb1

Default We have seen it, too

Over here on the west side of the lake between Ames Farm and Glidden Cove, and, yes, we have also noticed it this week. We have tried raking out the big patches of it. It's nasty stuff. Also, the gloeotrichia (cyanobacteria that looks like white dots in the upper water columns) became evident this week. YECH!
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
radioman

Default Green Cotton Candy Algae

I must say that I agree with most of the posts. Consider it a toxin and stay away from it. Cyanobacteria is a serious problem, has affected many lakes over the years (even thoes lakes considered "clean") The green color is consistant with the presentation. Most of the time it disappears rather quickly.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Mirror Lake, which drains into Lake Winnipesaukee, had a confirmed cyanobacteria outbreak last year.

Because it is early in the season, I think it is due to a very early "Ice-Out".

We had this same "cotton candy algae" growth over a decade ago, which clogged our water intake: we noticed only a very low water pressure. The clump was pushed off with a broom.

Using an empty one-gallon milk jug, I made a filter-screen—drilled 1-inch holes all around—and wrapped it completely with window screening. Neighbors had the same algae/intake problem, and nobody got sick.

Identification:

Quote:
"At one time cyanobacteria were called blue-green algae and were included with the algae. However, like bacteria and unlike algae, cyanobacteria are prokaryotes, meaning that they do not have a nucleus. For this reason they were removed from the algae (which are eukaryotes) and put into the bacteria, with all the other prokaryotes."
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_are_th...#ixzz24VhAyH2e
Under a microscope, the "cotton candy algae" cell [Eukaryotic] looks like the cell on the left—the poisonous "bacteria" [Prokaryotic] is on the right.

For two billion years, Prokaryotes were the only form of life on Earth.

When you have aquariums, you learn a lot about algae.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (08-25-2012), Grant (08-27-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (08-26-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Jonas Pilot

Uh.. What he said?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #12
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Thanks,Jonas. That's what I think it is. Its exactly what it looks like. Not serious but annoying I read.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady223 For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Barndoorian

Talking

We have something similar except that it's a small, floral-like clump growth on the bottom (no cotton candy) with stems that reach up to the surface of the water. I take a garden rake, pull it out, and throw it up on the dock to dry out. It's not bad at all off our shore but I notice it's bad in some of the quiet water areas like the island mail dock.
BTW, I thought we had a very successful end of season party on Barndoor this evening.
Yet another BTW--When I joined this group a short while back, someone kiddingly appointed me Mitt-watcher since we look right across the bay at his boathouse. How's this for a WILD, UNSUBSTANTIATED rumor: the gunboat is back and I've never seen it there except when Mitt's in residence. An announcement came out a few hours ago that the convention has been put off in Tampa for a day because of Isaac. Could it be that our home-town (or should I say vacation-town) hero (my opinion) has taken the opportunity to spend a couple of days on the lake? Keep an eye out at the Bubble.
Barndoorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barndoorian View Post
We have something similar except that it's a small, floral-like clump growth on the bottom (no cotton candy) with stems that reach up to the surface of the water. I take a garden rake, pull it out, and throw it up on the dock to dry out. It's not bad at all off our shore but I notice it's bad in some of the quiet water areas like the island mail dock.
BTW, I thought we had a very successful end of season party on Barndoor this evening.
Yet another BTW--When I joined this group a short while back, someone kiddingly appointed me Mitt-watcher since we look right across the bay at his boathouse. How's this for a WILD, UNSUBSTANTIATED rumor: the gunboat is back and I've never seen it there except when Mitt's in residence. An announcement came out a few hours ago that the convention has been put off in Tampa for a day because of Isaac. Could it be that our home-town (or should I say vacation-town) hero (my opinion) has taken the opportunity to spend a couple of days on the lake? Keep an eye out at the Bubble.

Yes, you need to keep us posted, Mitt-watcher. I was thinking about you when we rode by yesterday and saw the gunboat there. Then I heard this morning that Ryan made a surprise trip to NH. Wonder if he is coming to the lake with Mitt?

I think it is Chris Wallace is doing an interview with him at the compound which will be on tv tonight. Fox had some pictures of the lake this morning.

We were saying yesterday that we have never seen so many political signs on the lake as there are Romney signs this year. At least on this side of the lake.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Sal

Default The algae bloom

.... seems to come and go depending on water temp. When it's at its warmest, (usually late August) at our section of the lake, it appears. It seems to grow on dead leaves and sunken twigs. When it cools off (early September) it coagulates down into brown crud and washes up on the beach, and is easily raked away.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #16
Gearhead

No kidding!

I thought that stuff was leftovers from frog eggs. Nasty.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barndoorian View Post
I believe that is eriocaulon aquaticum, or in "English" pipewart, of which there are many variations.

Alternate Name: Water button.
Habitat: Shallow clear waters of
lakes and ponds.
Description: Basal spiky leaves
with white septate roots. Flower
head on long talks (6-36 in. tall),
button-like, white. Perennial.
Identification Tips: This plant
can easily be confused with
quillwort and water lobelia when
not in flower. When in flower, the
key distinction is the white button-
like seed head of pipewort
when compared to the purpulish
nodding flower of the water lobelia.
When not in flower, the key distinction
from quillwort is that
pipewort has septate roots.
Plant Facts: This species has long
been associated with good water
quality.
Pipewort (Eriocaulon aquaticum)
Pipewort in flower
Pipewort basal
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
gravy boat

Default Yes, he was here

He was here, and I believe his wife was, as well.

Apparently they have a good amount of protection 24/7, more when he's present. My bet is there are divers that sweep at least once daily; on-land protection watching 24/7 -- and they likely have really good aim. Not coming from the military or protective services, there must be more than just that with some pretty neat high tech gadgets, to boot.

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote