Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2004, 11:29 AM   #1
Mee-n-Mac

Question PhotoPost Rules & Recommendations

I've read the FAQ and searched the forums but I didn't find any rules/restrictions/recommendations (beyond the basics) on posting photos. I would ask the following questions ;

1) What type of files are allowed ?
I assume 'normal' JPEGs only.

2) What size files are allowed ?
I didn't see any restrictions and there seem to be 2 sizes listed for each photo. I assume 1 or both are generated automagically when the pic is uploaded ?

3) Are there guidelines for picture dimensions and/or compression ratios ?
Of course this is related to #2 above, but is it desireable (even if not strictly required) to make, via cropping and/or resizing, the long side of the pic no more than a certain pixel size (ie - 800 or 1024 pixels) and then compress to get under the max size above ?

If I've missed the above info someplace, then I thank you in advance for directing me to it. If there aren't hard rules for the above then what do the pic posting regulars use as guidelines ? What does the Webmaster recommend ??
Old 06-11-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
1) What type of files are allowed ?
.jpg,.jpeg,.png,.gif

Quote:
2) What size files are allowed ?
I didn't see any restrictions and there seem to be 2 sizes listed for each photo. I assume 1 or both are generated automagically when the pic is uploaded ?
3) Are there guidelines for picture dimensions and/or compression ratios ?
There are very few restrictions except the disk space quota of your membership (initially 4 MB).

You can upload an image up to 2500 X 2500 pixels in size up to your disk space quota. PhotoPost will then automatically create thumbnail and medium size images.

I use and recommend an image size of 1024 X 768 for uploads. At that size my images only use about 200K of space and still fill the screen for most viewers.

Quote:
If there aren't hard rules for the above then what do the pic posting regulars use as guidelines ?
The limits are set so high that they shouldn't be a consideration for anyone. When there is a problem PhotoPost will tell you.

Don
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 05:34 PM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

As a photoposter, this was interesting to read. Before Don upgraded, the old photopost DID have a file size limit. It was a big pain. When I scanned a postcard I would have to save it to my photo enhancer so I could "downsize" it and then save it somewhere so photopost would accept it. The new photopost is great! It accepts almost any size you upload! I also like the way 5 random photos pop up on the forum so you can explore old posts. Also the slide show works better because there is not an ad banner on top of the page and the photos appear in their entirety. And as someone has pointed out on another thread....you can sign on from mutiple locations and if you use the "new posts" method of viewing the forum, it lists only those posts you have not previously read. The whole page is pretty cool in my opinion!
PS - The weather was flawless at the lake this week-end. The bikers finally got a week-end day to ride without rain!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Mee-n-Mac

Default Update - recent experience

I just wanted to let anyone interested know of my recent experience. Last Friday I upoaded & submitted (I think successfully) 2 JPEGs of around 1.6 MB in size (each). I had recalled 50% of the message above, that being that there was no file size limit. I then tried to upload 2 more pics of the same size, or slightly larger, and got past step 1 (select and upload) but could never get to step 2 (add name, commentary and submit). After clicking the upload button I got what I think is the same "redirect" screen/message that I see after a successful submit. This happened the several times that I tried. I might guess there's some limit on file size in the "pics pending" queue ? Also I noticed that the two pics that did end up in my gallery never got past the "pending approval" stage. Don't know if they got lost in the process or, Heaven forbid, Webmaster D. might have taken time to enjoy his weekend for a change
Long story shortened I recalled & re-read the above suggestion (re:resize) and today resized the pics by 50% in linear dimension (pixels reduced to 25%) and added a bit of compression. All files (now 120KB - 300 KB) were uploaded & submitted w/o any problems and are even out of the "pending approval" stage. I don't know that file size was an issue but the smaller sizes seemed to help. Sorry for any problems created by larger files and if the Webmaster finds the missing 2 "floating" about in cyber space, he can delete them !

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 06-07-2005 at 04:42 PM. Reason: added some more info for diagnostics
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
I just wanted to let anyone interested know of my recent experience. Last Friday I uploaded & submitted (I think successfully) 2 JPEGs of around 1.6 MB in size (each).
If your large uploads were more then 2500 pixels wide that could have been a problem since the "Max allowable image width in pixels" setting is set to 2500.

When I saw the 2 pictures in the approval cue they appeared to be duplicates so I approved one and deleted the other. It's not unusual for pictures to accidentally be submitted twice. Later I noticed that the one I approved wasn't displaying any images and I had to delete it as well. I'm not sure why it lost the images but I've seen it happen at least once before. I was hoping you'd repost it.

The version of PhotoPost currently installed has several little problems and shortcomings that I've noticed and there is now a much newer version available that fixes many of them. The entire site will be moving to a fast new server soon with all the latest versions of the PhotoPost, Forum and other software packages that make the various site features work.

Don
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links