Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2015, 06:33 AM   #1
Rusty

Default Tuftonboro selectmen disallow public comment at meetings

Tuftonboro selectmen disallow public comment at meetings

By DAN SEUFERT Union Leader Correspondent

TUFTONBORO — In response to challenges from two members of the Budget Committee, selectmen have disallowed any public input “for the time being” at their public meetings, and have threatened to have anyone who violates the rule arrested, a move the town’s lawyer says is completely legal.

At their meeting Monday night, Selectmen Chairman Dan Duffy made it known that selectmen will not accept public input at their meetings.
He announced “the board’s new policy” as Budget Committee member Steve Brinser was trying to air a grievance about information that he felt was omitted from this year’s town report.

For the time being, we have, as a group, decided to act because there are some people who are mudslingers, who are anti-anything in this town,” Duffy said on Tuesday.

“We have received a legal opinion that the meetings are our meetings, and we can hold them as we wish, as long as we give proper notice as to whether public input will be allowed.

In the past, we have always allowed public input at our meetings, but when they started backstabbing, we had to do something,” Duffy said.Brinser and Budget Committee member Bob McWhirter are furious.

Both acknowledge the legality of the move, but neither thinks it is necessary.“I’m not going to let people (smear) my name in public,” Brinser said. “And when you discourage any kind of internal discussion, look what happens.”McWhirter agreed, and said much of what is occurring goes back a year, when he was blamed by selectmen for the failure at Town Meeting of a new town library project.

Duffy said McWhirter is still angry because of the town’s termination of his wife’s job as a worker in the town offices.McWhirter said he could not discuss his wife’s situation with the town. “But (the selectmen) have blamed me for the library not passing,” he said.“In spite of what legal cover they may have, I don’t think it was the right way to get things done and to heal old wounds,” McWhirter said.

The town’s attorney, Richard D. Sager of Ossipee, said he has researched the state’s right-to-know law, and found very little about public input at selectmen’s meetings.“The right-to-know law doesn’t really say anything about public input,” he said. “If the meeting is not noticed as having public input, the public does not have a right under right-to-know to say a damn thing at a meeting.”

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...0606/150419517
Old 04-15-2015, 07:03 AM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Tuftonboro selectmen disallow public comment at meetings

By DAN SEUFERT Union Leader Correspondent

TUFTONBORO — In response to challenges from two members of the Budget Committee, selectmen have disallowed any public input “for the time being” at their public meetings, and have threatened to have anyone who violates the rule arrested, a move the town’s lawyer says is completely legal.

At their meeting Monday night, Selectmen Chairman Dan Duffy made it known that selectmen will not accept public input at their meetings.
He announced “the board’s new policy” as Budget Committee member Steve Brinser was trying to air a grievance about information that he felt was omitted from this year’s town report.

For the time being, we have, as a group, decided to act because there are some people who are mudslingers, who are anti-anything in this town,” Duffy said on Tuesday.

“We have received a legal opinion that the meetings are our meetings, and we can hold them as we wish, as long as we give proper notice as to whether public input will be allowed.

In the past, we have always allowed public input at our meetings, but when they started backstabbing, we had to do something,” Duffy said.Brinser and Budget Committee member Bob McWhirter are furious.

Both acknowledge the legality of the move, but neither thinks it is necessary.“I’m not going to let people (smear) my name in public,” Brinser said. “And when you discourage any kind of internal discussion, look what happens.”McWhirter agreed, and said much of what is occurring goes back a year, when he was blamed by selectmen for the failure at Town Meeting of a new town library project.

Duffy said McWhirter is still angry because of the town’s termination of his wife’s job as a worker in the town offices.McWhirter said he could not discuss his wife’s situation with the town. “But (the selectmen) have blamed me for the library not passing,” he said.“In spite of what legal cover they may have, I don’t think it was the right way to get things done and to heal old wounds,” McWhirter said.

The town’s attorney, Richard D. Sager of Ossipee, said he has researched the state’s right-to-know law, and found very little about public input at selectmen’s meetings.“The right-to-know law doesn’t really say anything about public input,” he said. “If the meeting is not noticed as having public input, the public does not have a right under right-to-know to say a damn thing at a meeting.”

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...0606/150419517
It's absolutely amazing to me the arrogance of people elected to office. So just because the budget committee doesn't want to hear from the "anti everything" crowd, everyone is now unable to attend and say a thing. WOW really? This is what our country has turned into?

What the budget committee should do is instead of cutting off all public comment which is completely irresponsible and just going to piss people off, they should have done this, allow public comment but put VERY strict limits in place as to the length of time for each person with the option to extend such comment time IF and only IF the discussion is relevant and civil.

These people have to understand they are public servants not royalty. If they are incapable of controlling a town meeting and maybe take some criticism along the way then maybe they need to reconsider their choice of being on the committee. Squelching public comments is not the way to fix this problem.

As much as I would love to shut up those that may disagree with my political philosophy or way of thinking, in the end this is a free country or at least I thought it was, and as such everyone should have the ability to speak their mind so long as what they are saying is constructive and relevant to the topics being discussed.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default It's the selectmen, not the budget committee.

Maxum, I think you misread the article. It is the Board of Selectmen that is not including Public Comment at their meetings, angering two members of the Budget Committee who want to speak at the BOS meetings.
Jersey Ed (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
MDoug

Default Power

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely-- Lord Acton
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
Tired of Waiting

Default You can't say that!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Maxum, I think you misread the article. It is the Board of Selectmen that is not including Public Comment at their meetings, angering two members of the Budget Committee who want to speak at the BOS meetings.
Ups,

You can't say that!! Maxum has rule that you can't disagree with him or correct his post in this forum!!

So There. The royal one "Maxum the Great" has spoken

However being a brave one my self,,, Maxum it was the BOS not the Finance Committee that made the rule.

Now we are both in trouble Up's

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (04-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Sounds familiar doesn't it???!! What is with these selectmen from all these towns? As said, it must be they are all on a power trip.

In Tuftonboro it is not just the budget committee members who are unhappy but quite a few others.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
DickR

One can't but help thinking that wanting to exclude public input from a committee's meeting is to avoid just the sort of abuse evident a while ago in Alton. Non-constructive commentary by the politically disgruntled can be very disruptive. Perhaps one solution would be to have periodic "public input" meetings having that as the sole agenda item. There is a proper forum for almost anything.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
OK I stand corrected, what ever committee or board or meeting, to eliminate any interaction with the public, including allowing comments to be made just doesn't seem right. Doesn't take away from the merit of what I said these people work for and at the discretion of the tax payers, not the other way around.

At least they didn't move it behind closed doors, I'm sure that'll be next.

Hey TOW way to stir the pot!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Tired of Waiting (04-16-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

You're out of order! You're out of order! You're out of order and You're out of order!
LIforrelaxin (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

Plan B: Go to the meeting with no intention of speaking but, bring a quality video camera, mount it on tripod for easy filming, turn it on to record audio and video, and don't say a thing the entire time.

Then post the video to YouTube.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Merrymeeting

https://youtu.be/BofddwtPBPw

https://youtu.be/kW4zHE0adc0 (last 5 seconds)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
jetlag100

And then sometime down the road there's always that question I find myself asking, who made this crap up? People need to stand up to this sort of crazy BS. If the meeting is solely for selectmen, then so be it...they need to define the terms..
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Contact the Selectmen in writing...

...stating the business you want to conduct and ask to placed on the meeting agenda.

If they decline, publish your letter and their response in the local newspaper.

If enough people do this, and act in a responsible manner, the Board will have to either respond in like manner (responsibly) , or they will be voted out.

Bottom line for me is that citizens and elected officials need to act with total civility in their dealings with each. This seems to be a lost form of behavior in our society at times.
chattypatty (04-15-2015), Just Sold (04-16-2015), LIforrelaxin (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #14
chattypatty

Default Mudslinging

I agree that banning all public input is not called for, however I kind of understand where they are coming from. It seems that these days, no one sticks to the issue at hand or simply states their case, they begin slinging the mud and name calling. It gets so personal. Look at the lawmakers in another country we saw on tv a few months back, either throwing shoes at one another or breaking out into an all out brawl. Some civility would be welcomed at these meetings.
chattypatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #15
Patiently Watching

Unreal - i cannot believe it will take a lawsuit to clean things up in Tuftonboro.

Town is really going downhill... Very sad
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #16
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I agree that banning all public input is not called for, however I kind of understand where they are coming from. It seems that these days, no one sticks to the issue at hand or simply states their case, they begin slinging the mud and name calling. It gets so personal. Look at the lawmakers in another country we saw on tv a few months back, either throwing shoes at one another or breaking out into an all out brawl. Some civility would be welcomed at these meetings.
I believe the issue is that selectman Duffy led the charge to build a new library three times and it failed THREE times in a row at the ballot box. Now he is attempting to stamp out the opposition. I have seen children behave better than this guy.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #17
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
It's absolutely amazing to me the arrogance of people elected to office. So just because the budget committee doesn't want to hear from the "anti everything" crowd, everyone is now unable to attend and say a thing. WOW really? This is what our country has turned into?

What the budget committee should do is instead of cutting off all public comment which is completely irresponsible and just going to piss people off, they should have done this, allow public comment but put VERY strict limits in place as to the length of time for each person with the option to extend such comment time IF and only IF the discussion is relevant and civil.

These people have to understand they are public servants not royalty. If they are incapable of controlling a town meeting and maybe take some criticism along the way then maybe they need to reconsider their choice of being on the committee. Squelching public comments is not the way to fix this problem.

As much as I would love to shut up those that may disagree with my political philosophy or way of thinking, in the end this is a free country or at least I thought it was, and as such everyone should have the ability to speak their mind so long as what they are saying is constructive and relevant to the topics being discussed.
Maximum you and I think a like. Unfortunately, this sore loser has decided to take his ball home so no one can play the game. Childish and pathetic.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I believe the issue is that selectman Duffy led the charge to build a new library three times and it failed THREE times in a row at the ballot box. Now he is attempting to stamp out the opposition. I have seen children behave better than this guy.

From what I am hearing, you are right. That and the fact the selectmen did not want the people to know the true cost of operating the library and didn't include it before the vote.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #19
Tired of Waiting

Default Just teasing Maxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
OK I stand corrected,

Hey TOW way to stir the pot!
Maxum,

Don't know what got into me that morning but the devil or should I say "witch" made me do it. She just handed me the stick and made me stir it up!

But no matter you are right on the head of the nail. Our elected officials are so thin skinned and think they are so far above the rest of us it is sickening.

Not a good thing for our local and national well being.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote