Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Happy Gourmand

Default American Boat Club

http://www.americanboatclubnh.com/
Sounds like a very interesting concept for those of us who love boating but hate all the other "stuff" that goes along with it. I spoke with a guy named Kurt, and he didn't seem to be able to provide much more info than what is posted on the website.
The price seems right...$3200 fior the season...only other cost is the gas you use...but...they don't have any boats yet.
Does anybody out there have any more details about this venture?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Steve Di.

Default A Great Idea!

That sounds like a great idea, in principle.

I have owned two boats, one was a 20' trailer boat, the other a small cruiser. Although I miss boating, I do not miss all the other headaches and work that comes with boat ownership.

This seems to be the way I will enjoy boating in the future. I am curious as to how much usage is allowed for the $3,200 fee.
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Happy Gourmand

Default usage

Kurt says usage is unlimited...you can have up to four "reservations" at one time. There is no other cost beyond the gas you use.
All other costs...cleaning..maintenance..docking... is included in the yearly dues.
Several years ago, I belonged to a flying club that worked out great. Since I sold my boat 2 years ago, I have been thinking that a boat club, operated similarly to a flying club could work out just as well.
Does anybody out there have any knowledge of any other boat clubs in any other part of the country and how they work out?
It will operate out of Aqua Marina in Laconia.
And a correction here...I said the dues would be $3200...I just reread the info I was sent...it is $3600....still barely the cost of a rental slip.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Steve Di.

Default Boats?

What is the size and type of boats is he using? I looked at his web site and saw a picture of boats in the water, which must be a stock photo.

As a matter of discussion, most people would want to take a boat for the entire day. They said arrangements can be made for that, but I didn't get the impression that it is something they would want to do on a regular basis.

Having to fuel up the boat and have it back at the marina by 1:00pm would be no fun. I imagine the 2:00 to 7:00pm slots will be the most popular time.

This is an idea that could fly. We will see.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
AllAbourdon

The concept exists elsewhere. I considered this in the past especially since there is reciprocity between other locations.

http://freedomboatclub.com/
AllAbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Nauset

Default Will it happen?

I tried calling them multiple times last year and there was no answer and no machine. Now to hear there are no boats and little information with spring right around the corner doesn't sound promising. I was at the Boston Boat Show and did not see a booth. That would have been a prime place to drum up business. I would be very interested in this venture if it does materialize.
Nauset is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nauset For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
Nauset

I did some checking on the Akwa Marina website and there on the homepage is the same phone number listed on the American boat club website along with the name of the Kurt person mentioned in this tread.
http://www.akwamarina.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Nauset For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Steve Di.

Default Not Off The Ground Yet

The photo gallery in the American Yacht club was taken from the Marina's web site.

It looks as though this idea is still in its conceptual state.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Di. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Happy Gourmand

Default Amreican Boat Club

I just got this email from Kurt. This is an exerpt.
"We are shopping for boats right now (we currently have a bowrider, pair of waverunners, and a little tiny sail boat). Our water side office is complete and just needs upfit. We have the beta version of our custom software running now, I expect it to ready for people to start reserving boats in a week or two"
Intrigueing.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I talked with the guy last year, about becoming a member of the beach club, thinking that a destination for boat rides where the kids could come out and play would be nice. Unfortunately it was a bit too costly. I also talked with him some about this venture. While I believe the intentions are good, I am not sure I would recommend jumping in quite yet.

I think the idea may have some merit, however getting it started on the other hand is going to take some time. I am sure the first few years, are going to be short on enough boats to rent out... Additionally depending on your tastes for a few years, I would expect just as outlined, they are not going to have more then bowriders, wave runners, and some small sail boats. Once they get to the point, where they have larger boats, I am sure this venture will be a whole lot more attractive.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
NoBozo

Default Just for Info

Here's a program that has been in existence for years. A lot cheaper than the Winni proposition.. the last time I looked. Sail Newport is for SAIL. We always have wind.

http://www.sailnewport.org/

Winni does NOT always have wind, so SAIL alone would not work IMHO. $3600 seems to me to be ...well I wouldn't give it any consideration. Here's why: The weather. You need to predict the weather for a given day. Sunny, Breezy..etc. Everyone else is doing the same. You call for reservations at 7:00am. Answering machine. You call again at 8:00am. Sorry sorry sorry: We're totally BOOKED for the day.

SO: Do you get back any of the $3600 you coughed up if you never get to use the boat when it's convenient to YOU.?. When you own your own boat, you get to go boating when YOU want to. Maybe that justifies the effort of ownership. Just sayin. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Here's a program that has been in existence for years. A lot cheaper than the Winni proposition.. the last time I looked. Sail Newport is for SAIL. We always have wind.

http://www.sailnewport.org/

Winni does NOT always have wind, so SAIL alone would not work IMHO. $3600 seems to me to be ...well I wouldn't give it any consideration. Here's why: The weather. You need to predict the weather for a given day. Sunny, Breezy..etc. Everyone else is doing the same. You call for reservations at 7:00am. Answering machine. You call again at 8:00am. Sorry sorry sorry: We're totally BOOKED for the day.

SO: Do you get back any of the $3600 you coughed up if you never get to use the boat when it's convenient to YOU.?. When you own your own boat, you get to go boating when YOU want to. Maybe that justifies the effort of ownership. Just sayin. NB
From what I read, it is a web-based reservation system, so it is up to the member to schedule their slots. $3600 actually seems cheap IMHO. They seem to be exactly the same as the Freedom Boat Club in Portsmouth, I wonder why they did not go the freedom route? I have to say I wish them the best of luck, at least they are trying to create knew opportunities and jobs, in this environment. Ice is still on the lake it seems like a smart move limiting boat purchases till the spring, conserving capital.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #13
Winni P

Default NOT the same as Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchhaven View Post
From what I read, it is a web-based reservation system, so it is up to the member to schedule their slots. $3600 actually seems cheap IMHO. They seem to be exactly the same as the Freedom Boat Club in Portsmouth, I wonder why they did not go the freedom route? I have to say I wish them the best of luck, at least they are trying to create knew opportunities and jobs, in this environment. Ice is still on the lake it seems like a smart move limiting boat purchases till the spring, conserving capital.
It is important to point out that they are NOT the same as Freedom Boat Club (FBC). When you join FBC you have a choice of locations from where you can use a boat from & I believe FBC is a regional if not national club.
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
jonfinn

I hope American Boat Club flies. It's a good idea for certain kinds of boaters. From what I've seen on this forum, Lakes Region local boaters are always helpful and courteous to guests of the lake, until the "guests" disrespect the lake in some way (usually out of ignorance, arrogance or inexperience).

My concern is how ABC will handle training it's members.

I've got a little 17' bowrider that lives on a trailer. I've taken out on Winni and Boston Harbor (other places too). Even though Winnipesaukee can be unforgiving at times, there are parts of Boston Harbor that can be downright scary if you don't know what you're doing. On the right day, in the right conditions, in the right area, it's an amazing place to take a boat ride.

My point is this: An inexperienced FBC member goes out on the Harbor on a breezy day and routinely encounters the wakes of boats 50', 100' and up. Maybe even a 400' freighter or a commuter boat. They get the be-jeezuz scared out of them right away. When that happened to me, I learned very quickly that this can be really dangerous, and that I need to proceed with caution all the time.

Winnipesaukee, by comparison can "seem" easier. After all it's only a lake right?

I don't think that about Winni, but some people could.
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfinn View Post
Winnipesaukee, by comparison can "seem" easier. After all it's only a lake right?

I don't think that about Winni, but some people could.
I think you're spot on with this observation. That is part of my frustration with boating on the lake, you have people with no clue about what they're doing making the overall experience less enjoyable at times (IMO).

I haven't boated in Boston Harbor or the ocean, but I grew up on the Great Lakes, and used to take my dad's 30' cruiser out when I was 16. The 'Lakes are basically freshwater oceans, you have storms with 10' + seas, freighters, routine 3' swells, etc. Pretty much everything but tides. You didn't encounter too many boaters that were operating without some basic knowledge because doing so for very long was literally deadly.

The boating certificate program has helped a little bit, but not to the extent that it should have.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
Nauset

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfinn View Post
My concern is how ABC will handle training it's members.
I wouldn't think that ABC would be taking on the task of training boaters beyond some basic Winni advice. That would be the boater's responsibility. Hopefully this service would attract a more knowledgeable boater rather than the type who is a one time renter out for a joy ride. As a past boat owner on the lake I would be interested in a boat service like this.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I would think this would be a good venture for a marina with a big floor plan and a lot of used boats......If i'm spending $3,600 a year,I want a decent boat at my disposal.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote