Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
Barney Bear

Default BANG - Woof Woof - Meow - BANG. 💥

Our pups are terrified by thunder and fireworks. We decided to take them home for the next several days as neighbors here set off fireworks nightly during this holiday week We will return Thursday to celebrate the Fourth, but the dogs will stay home. They will come back to East Bear Island next week to continue to enjoy this special place. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
gravy boat

It certainly is tough this next several days for many dogs. Ours are still pups -- 17 months and 8 months - and have been around many loud noises but not fireworks so much. We will see how they do. Thunder doesn't scare them much, thankfully. Our last 4 dogs were very afraid of thunder. But not these boys.

Good luck to you!
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Barney will they get their own meals and take care of the house?

My little one is scared to death of just about everything. The last two days she has done nothing but shake because she is scared of the rain. It makes you feel so bad for them.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #4
Wentworth06

Default Fireworks and our pets

We give our dogs a light sedative prescribed by our veterinarian. Actually half the dose he recommended. No problems after that . They are fine the next morning. Sometimes I think I need them. Our neighbor owns fireworks stores.happy fourth
Wentworth06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
LakeTimes

Just a suggestion (has worked extremely well for us)...

When we got our dog as a puppy, we would save our empty Poland Spring water bottles (crunch some up and keep some full of air) and throw them in one of those cheap plastic Walmart Kid/Pet pools that are about 4 feet wide and 18 inches deep. Once filled we would throw his bones in there for him to find, would throw his treats in there and sometimes even fed him out of it. Not sure how that would work with adult dogs, but for puppies it helps them get used to loud noises all around their head from an early age. Also supposed to help with minimizing reactions when startled.

Can honestly say, he will sit on the boat with us and watch fireworks as excited as we are. Doesn't fear thunder or lighting or any other loud noises that you or neighbors make.

If you've got a young puppy - would highly suggest it.

None the less, it does take quite a bit of H2O consumption - so expect you will be chugging water nonstop to fill up that pool with those empty bottles. Can't lie, it's probably the amount of water I should have been consuming on a daily basis anyways!

Secondly, get ready as he/she will most likely pee in the pool at some point and you'll have to start drinking all over again
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
rick35

Default CBD for pets

Yes there is such a thing. Went in to the local shop for cream and saw a rack of pet pills. The guy behind the counter said they were good for fireworks.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
beagle

Default puppies and bubble wrap

Every time I got a package I would pop the bubble wrap in front of our puppy. I would say in a very happy sing-song voice "pop-pop"...at first she was skittish but after the first few times she thought it was a game. She has no problem with thunderstorms or fireworks. We still occasionally play "pop-pops".
Attached Images

beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #8
Woody38

Exceptionally loud thunder today which my wife really does not like. When the first one hit both dogs were whith me as I was on the computer. Interesting that both dogs looked up at me and gave me the question look. Then went back to sleep. My wife said that she was starteled and she jumped. What gets the dogs to bark is when people walk down the street. They can't see them, but they smell them.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #9
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post
Every time I got a package I would pop the bubble wrap in front of our puppy. I would say in a very happy sing-song voice "pop-pop"...at first she was skittish but after the first few times she thought it was a game. She has no problem with thunderstorms or fireworks. We still occasionally play "pop-pops".
Sweet face!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
beagle (07-03-2020)