Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2016, 06:19 AM   #1
pjard

Default Planer boards worth lead core?

Can anyone share just a few comments on using planer boards with lead core. I read tons of different things online but I would like Winnipesaukee experience.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Can anyone share just a few comments on using planer boards with lead core. I read tons of different things online but I would like Winnipesaukee experience.
I use lead all the time on my boards and it works great. I have Big Jons "otter boats" planer boards and have reels setup with different amounts of lead. You don't want to attach your line clips to the lead core directly so I use a super braid (Stren Sonic Braid) as backer off the lead and clip to that. I have no problem pulling 6 or 7 colors of lead off the planer boards as the water warms up. It does take a number of reels if you want to have inline setups for all depths.

You can also attach multiple lines to each board. I have had as many as three lines on each board. When using multiple lines you just want to make sure your deeper lines are closest to the boat to avoid tangles. That way if you hook a fish on your outermost line it will hopefully go OVER the deeper lines and allow you to land the fish at the boat. It doesn't always happen that way however!!

You will definitely increase your catch rate using planer boards especially early in the season when fish are at or near the surface.

The new micro lead works fantastic on planer boards as it has a lot less drag on the boards.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-14-2016 at 03:17 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
MikeF-NH

I currently run otter boats and love them. I max out at two lines per board but am sure I could just as easily run 3 per board if I wanted to go crazy. Like Dan said, run deep lines closest to boat but (wouldn't you know it)....the outside lines go first so you either have to reel in the other two lines and redeploy all 3 or just slide them down the line and now your shallowest line (that just released) is closest to the boat).

In general, salmon rise to the top and don't get caught in the inner lines but lakers dive deep and across your spread everytime leaving you with a mess. fortunately, lakers hit my DRs more than my planer rods. When I do get a big laker hooked, I take in all lead core on that side of the boat (which is the other reason I don't go over 2 lines per board).

If you want to start off cheaply, get the offshore inline boards at around $30 each. They only run one line per board and you read them like a bobber when a fish hits then have to hand release the board when it reaches your rod. I had fantastic success with these when I started and think I got better action from them than the larger boards.

If you buy the offshore planerboard releases...remember to adjust them to the light setting. I would guess it would cost you around $500 total between boards, reels, mast and releases if you go with full sized boards. Watch Craigslist and fishing website for deals.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Bob G

I also use Otter Boats. They work great and are easy to see in sloppy conditions. The only bad thing is they take up a lot of room. I have friends who use Riverias, which I would recommend because #1 you can fold them up and #2 they have greater keel area which pulls the boards away from the boat, which allows your clip to slide down easier. Dan doesn't clip to lead, but I do, and never really had line failure. One other thing to mention about Otter Boats, you can buy an additional keel weight to help pull your board out for about $75 a pair.
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
Bob G

I also use Otter Boats. They work great and are easy to see in sloppy conditions. The only bad thing is they take up a lot of room. I have friends who use Riverias, which I would recommend because #1 you can fold them up and #2 they have greater keel area which pulls the boards away from the boat, which allows your clip to slide down easier. Dan doesn't clip to lead, but I do, and never really had line failure. One other thing to mention about Otter Boats, you can buy an additional keel weight to help pull your board out for about $75 a pair. AKA The Freshguy
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2016, 05:58 AM   #6
pjard

I bought one Big Jons Otter Board yesterday. I went to AJ's and he told me they worked good with the micro lead. Hoping to try it out this afternoon.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
mattmass

Default Otter Boats work great

I use micro or 13lb. leadcore and regularly clip directly to the leadcore line with no history of failures. Just test the release by tugging on the line to see how much pressure it takes to pull it off of the release and adjust accordingly.
mattmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #8
pjard

So far I am not thrilled with the Big Jon's Otter Boards, although I have caught some fish with them. (otter boards not boats, those are very different). I ordered a Church Tackle TX-22 as it seems to be a better design. Hope to try it out some night this week or Saturday morning.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
dt5150

i run amish outfitters planer boards and 18lb. micro lead. i've always clipped the releases to the leadcore line, never had an issue. i use the yellow colored offshore releases.

had a pair of rivieras for a few years. they worked well but didn't pull near as hard as the amish outfitters. the harder the boards pull, the further out away from the boat they go.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote