Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
steve-on-mark

Default Power back on

I came out thinking i'd have to fire up the generator, but even though NHEC said power would be restored sometime tomorrow, it's back on now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 10-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Nhec 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
I came out thinking i'd have to fire up the generator, but even though NHEC said power would be restored sometime tomorrow, it's back on now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
We had quite a bit of storm damage, which required 2 trips by NHEC, our electrician, and carpenter. Both meters were ripped off our house and detached garage, with facia boards, power lines, cable and phone lines on the ground. Our generator, under 2 years old, wouldn’t fire up....we were beyond upset. Anyhow, the Coop did a great job in getting our service back. We all like to complain about electric rates, etc., but they deserved a round of applause for their performance. There were over 500 here in sleepy Moultonborough without power.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
Susie Cougar

Default Power back on

Wow, You must’ve had some really strong winds to rip your meters right off and lines down!
Are you on Moultonborough Neck? Was everyone without power in your area or was it spread out?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
We had quite a bit of storm damage, which required 2 trips by NHEC, our electrician, and carpenter. Both meters were ripped off our house and detached garage, with facia boards, power lines, cable and phone lines on the ground. Our generator, under 2 years old, wouldn’t fire up....we were beyond upset. Anyhow, the Coop did a great job in getting our service back. We all like to complain about electric rates, etc., but they deserved a round of applause for their performance. There were over 500 here in sleepy Moultonborough without power.
Is your generator a whole house generator or a portable. If whole house, they normally test themselves on a regular basis.

I have a portable (does power my whole house) that I start on a regular (sort of) basis, every couple of months or so. I run 93 octane and treat the gas with Startron. I let it run for 15 mins or so. I did fire it up the day before the storm and it started on its normal second pull.

Sorry for all your damage.

Dave
Old 10-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #5
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Wow, You must’ve had some really strong winds to rip your meters right off and lines down!
Are you on Moultonborough Neck? Was everyone without power in your area or was it spread out?
I think we were among the few properties affected in our little neighborhood off 109S. We didn’t hear any generators going, though ours should have been. We were fortunate because we could get the necessary people out here here promptly, so it worked out well. By 7 P.M. all was up and running......huge relief! 😀
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Is your generator a whole house generator or a portable. If whole house, they normally test themselves on a regular basis.

I have a portable (does power my whole house) that I start on a regular (sort of) basis, every couple of months or so. I run 93 octane and treat the gas with Startron. I let it run for 15 mins or so. I did fire it up the day before the storm and it started on its normal second pull.

Sorry for all your damage.

Dave
Thank you, Dave. Ours is a whole house generator, installed Nov. 2017, so it shouldn’t be having problems. The Generac guy is supposedly coming here this morning, so hopefully it won’t just be a nasty-looking lawn ornament! His answer when we called to report that it wasn’t working: “Just call me when it’s not working, and I will fix it!” Excuse me, but the point of having it is so you can rely on it when you’re not home....correct? Anyhow, fingers crossed. 🤞
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
newposterguy (10-23-2019), upthesaukee (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
Susie Cougar

Default Power back on

Glad that you’re OK. That’s the main thing.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
swnoel

Quote:
Thank you, Dave. Ours is a whole house generator, installed Nov. 2017, so it shouldn’t be having problems. The Generac guy is supposedly coming here this morning, so hopefully it won’t just be a nasty-looking lawn ornament! His answer when we called to report that it wasn’t working: “Just call me when it’s not working, and I will fix it!” Excuse me, but the point of having it is so you can rely on it when you’re not home....correct? Anyhow, fingers crossed. 🤞
Just curious how often you get it serviced?
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
Sue Doe-Nym

It shouldn’t need servicing, we don’t think. It is set to run for 10-15 minutes on the 1st of each month. We don’t have many outages, thankfully. The last one was a few months ago, lasted several hours, and the generator worked just fine. In this climate, we decided that it was worth the expense, and in the long run, that should be the case IF the repairman can make it run dependably.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

swnoel, You didn't ask me but we service ours once a year. It tests itself once a week.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #11
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Buyer Beware: Generac

This is a follow up regarding our non-functioning Generac. The salesman/serviceman arrived this morning, checked everything out and fiddled with some wires, announced that he could find nothing wrong, and therefore couldn’t charge Generac for the service call, and so we were presented with an invoice for $190! He could tell that the system had recorded 4 times the thing had failed, but since he didn’t need to order a part from Generac, it’s our responsibility to fork over the $190. He miGht have a long wait.
I am upset because we seem to have purchased a lemon, and there is no one advocating for us. We can’t be absolutely certain that the generator will kick in when it’s needed. What good is that?????
So....bottom line...be wary of Generac. Also, I hate to bash the dealer, as he is a nice guy, but he’s willing to hang us out to dry. Deyab Electric in Ossipee. I unleashed a barrage of rather unladylike language on him before he left, and I should perhaps be sorry, but I am not. We will take this episode up with Generac on Monday, and it probably won’t get much traction. I am not a quitter, so stay tuned if you don’t have anything better to do.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #12
WinnisquamZ

Reading these last few posts and other related posts concerning Generac generators is concerning. Google reviews are also poor. This season I have obtained a few quotes to have a whole house generator installed and they all want to install a Generac.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #13
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Very iffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Reading these last few posts and other related posts concerning Generac generators is concerning. Google reviews are also poor. This season I have obtained a few quotes to have a whole house generator installed and they all want to install a Generac.

There aren’t a lot of choices, unfortunately. We survived for many years without a generator, and we decided to make the investment for PEACE of MIND ; the result has been far from expectation. I would prefer to have our $8000+ back, and start over.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:

I believe it’s more important to have a competent installer do the work than the brand. Be it Kohler or Generac, if it’s not installed or serviced properly you will have issues.

While many electricians can and will install generators, personally I would rather have a company that only sells, installs and services generators day in and day out and nothing else.

Many on this forum have recommended The Generator Connection with good results and reviews and why I had them install mine. Their work and servicing has been top notch. Probably not the cheapest around but I’m not sure something as important as your backup power source should be installed by the low ball quote.

Dan
chasedawg (10-20-2019), Meredith AK (10-19-2019), secondcurve (10-27-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #15
Hillcountry

We bought a 10k stand alone Generac at Lowe’s. Had my brother (master electrician) install my switch. When power goes out and looks like it’s going to be more than an hour, I roll it out the basement walkout and hook it up to the outside plug (50 amp) push the electric start button and voila, a whole house generator. It has functioned flawlessly for 4 years and I maintain it myself (oil changes). I know it’s much less technical than a auto start unit but I like it this way. Of course someone is always home or close by...me.
So this is ONE positive review for Generac. I also have other Generac equipment and they have been flawless as well.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #16
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I do the same, but it sure would be nice to have an automatic unit so's I wouldn't have to reprogram everything. If I had NG or propane, it'd be done by now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #17
WinnisquamZ

I also have a pull out of the garage when the power goes out Generator. Was looking for a automatic for when we are gone. Going to save the 8k and hope for a mild winter

Old 10-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #18
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Pursuing this problem with Generac

We are going to see where we get with Generac, and it won’t be easy, but my other half doesn’t give in easily, which in this case might be a good thing. It is ridiculous that they (Generac) supposedly deny their agents’ warranty claims unless the service call requires the purchase of a part. The dealer/service person shouldn’t be out of pocket for his time, etc., which leaves the customer, whose faulty product is under warranty, holding the bag. Definitely not an acceptable solution. They shouldn’t get away with it.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #19
GregW11

I have a Kohler whole-house generator. Early on, I had trouble with generator starting for it’s weekly test. After a couple visits by the installer, they sent a senior technician who did a thorough test of the circuit between the generator and the transfer switch. It turned out there was a very subtle loose connection in that line. Bottom line - make sure you have an experienced electrician/service technician look at your problem and make sure the generator successfully completes weekly operational checks and you have the system serviced annually.

GregW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #20
Wifi-1

Quote:
We are going to see where we get with Generac, and it won’t be easy, but my other half doesn’t give in easily, which in this case might be a good thing. It is ridiculous that they (Generac) supposedly deny their agents’ warranty claims unless the service call requires the purchase of a part. The dealer/service person shouldn’t be out of pocket for his time, etc., which leaves the customer, whose faulty product is under warranty, holding the bag. Definitely not an acceptable solution. They shouldn’t get away with it.
Might be interesting to simulate a power fail (turn off your main breaker) and see what it does (or doesn't) do, before calling on Monday.
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wifi-1 For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #21
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Generac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi-1 View Post
Might be interesting to simulate a power fail (turn off your main breaker) and see what it does (or doesn't) do, before calling on Monday.
Great idea! We’ll try it. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #22
DickR

Quote:
If the transfer switch is wired up to take power from either the service line coming to the house or the generator and feed power from whichever is providing the juice to the main breaker panel, then the main switch in that distribution panel is downstream of the transfer switch, and turning it off won't be a test of the generator and transfer switch. The switch to turn off would be one outside by the meter, to cut power from the service line to the transfer switch, so that the transfer switch will see this as a service power failure, signal the generator to start, and, on receiving signal from the generator that it is ready to deliver power, switch from service line to generator. If your home is old enough, there may not be an outside cutoff switch to use for this test. Such a switch has been a requirement for newer homes for some time, to give the fire department a quick means to kill power to the house, so they aren't spraying water all over live wiring.

There are plenty of Generac standby generators out there, doing the job just fine. There always will be the occasional lemon or problem caused by improper installation. Keep leaning on Generac, and perhaps get them to have one/another of their approved installers look at those four codes and find out for sure what's going on.

My own generator is a Kohler 14KW, with a service entrance transfer switch. It's been running for several years without a hitch. It self-tests once a week. I had a 500 gallon propane tank installed just to serve the generator, since there is no other combustion unit inside the house. I service the unit myself once each year. One thing that led me to choose Kohler over Generac is Kohler's use of hydraulic valve lifters, vs the solid lifters in the comparable Generac (at least at that time). Solid lifters would have added a step to the annual maintenance, checking the valve stem-lifter clearance with a feeler gauge every year.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #23
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
If the transfer switch is wired up to take power from either the service line coming to the house or the generator and feed power from whichever is providing the juice to the main breaker panel, then the main switch in that distribution panel is downstream of the transfer switch, and turning it off won't be a test of the generator and transfer switch. The switch to turn off would be one outside by the meter, to cut power from the service line to the transfer switch, so that the transfer switch will see this as a service power failure, signal the generator to start, and, on receiving signal from the generator that it is ready to deliver power, switch from service line to generator. If your home is old enough, there may not be an outside cutoff switch to use for this test. Such a switch has been a requirement for newer homes for some time, to give the fire department a quick means to kill power to the house, so they aren't spraying water all over live wiring.

There are plenty of Generac standby generators out there, doing the job just fine. There always will be the occasional lemon or problem caused by improper installation. Keep leaning on Generac, and perhaps get them to have one/another of their approved installers look at those four codes and find out for sure what's going on.

My own generator is a Kohler 14KW, with a service entrance transfer switch. It's been running for several years without a hitch. It self-tests once a week. I had a 500 gallon propane tank installed just to serve the generator, since there is no other combustion unit inside the house. I service the unit myself once each year. One thing that led me to choose Kohler over Generac is Kohler's use of hydraulic valve lifters, vs the solid lifters in the comparable Generac (at least at that time). Solid lifters would have added a step to the annual maintenance, checking the valve stem-lifter clearance with a feeler gauge every year.
I knew someone would claim similar, but by code there has to be a main disconnect switch to disconnect you from the drop. If you think about it, wiring it the way you state places the transfer switched fused by the drop itself.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #24
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Oh, help!

You guys and your knowledge of all this stuff is beyond my pay grade, but an excellent suggestion is to put the pressure on Generac, and see if we can find someone more knowledgeable than our serviceman, and try to snag a reasonable fix. This situation cannot remain unsolved. Thanks for the positive suggestions, all....greatly appreciated. This discussion is helping many, I think.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #25
panjumbie

The National Electric Code requires a fused (or circuit breaker) disconnect where the service first enters the building (with a few exceptions which wouldn't apply to a private home.) This would have to be ahead of any automatic transfer switch. The generator output also has to have a disconnect and protection, but that is likely part of the generator.

Without the utility protection, you would have a serious fire and shock hazard in the transfer switch. The utility feed in many cases can provide far more current than the wiring to the transfer switch can carry, if there is no protection.

It is possible that for residential transfer switches, that the disconnect and protection is attached to the transfer switch.

You would be wise to get an electrician to spend a little time with you to determine and explain what does what in your system. And then make labels (actually required by the code) for each disconnect or circuit breaker.

While you want to "exercise" your generator weekly for 20 minutes or so, that is typically with no load, which will not disclose many generator problems. (and you also need to look at the hours indicator on the generator fairly often and log it, so that you know that it actually ran for the test if you weren't there.)

As others have said, the only true test is to pull the utility disconnect simulating a power failure, and verify that the genset picks up the load. Let it run for a half hour or so, then turn the utility disconnect back on. The power should switch back in a few seconds, and the generator should run for 10 or 20 minutes unloaded before shutting off. Make sure it shuts off, another well known issue.

The issues with genset failures are fairly often transfer switch issues, not genset issues. The transfer switch is exposed to power surges from the utility, like lightning, and they all have solid state sensors in them. You may have to install a good sized surge protector to attempt to protect the transfer switch from being zapped. The transfer switch, if outdoors also has to be protected from water infiltration.

Also, the generator engine has a battery to start it, and that battery must remained charged. If the weekly exercise doesn't run it enough to keep the battery charged, the installation will need a trickle charger, and then the danger becomes overcharging. Kind of like your boat engine if you don't run it that much.

I work part time as Chief Engineer of a couple of radio stations, and I can tell you that gensets and transfer switches, while very necessary in that business, can be a real PITA to keep maintained.

I'd also suggest at least two PM visits by a qualified service contractor, one in summer, one in winter.
panjumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to panjumbie For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (10-19-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #26
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
swnoel, You didn't ask me but we service ours once a year. It tests itself once a week.
LOL... seems like some never realize it needs to be serviced yearly. Generacs need to be serviced yearly using Generac parts or the guarantee is void. Bet yours starts when it's needed...
Old 10-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #27
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
We bought a 10k stand alone Generac at Lowe’s. Had my brother (master electrician) install my switch. When power goes out and looks like it’s going to be more than an hour, I roll it out the basement walkout and hook it up to the outside plug (50 amp) push the electric start button and voila, a whole house generator. It has functioned flawlessly for 4 years and I maintain it myself (oil changes). I know it’s much less technical than a auto start unit but I like it this way. Of course someone is always home or close by...me.
So this is ONE positive review for Generac. I also have other Generac equipment and they have been flawless as well.

I installed a 14KW Generac about 8 years ago and had an intermittent problem. After finding the right company with someone smarter than a 5th grader, the electrician informed me they had an issue with the control unit and replaced it. Never had another issuer in 7 years!
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #28
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
LOL... seems like some never realize it needs to be serviced yearly. Generacs need to be serviced yearly using Generac parts or the guarantee is void. Bet yours starts when it's needed...
It comes on automatically. It tests itself every Friday but yes, it has always started when needed.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #29
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It comes on automatically. It tests itself every Friday but yes, it has always started when needed.
I have a friend with one, that has hers test on a Tuesday, so if there is a problem, she can get a service call in before the weekend, just a suggestion.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #30
tis

You know it's funny, our's keeps changing. When they service it, the test day seems to change. It was Wednesday not too long ago. It just ended up on Friday this last time. But your suggestion is a good one.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #31
WinnisquamZ

The whole idea is to not have to worry when you have the threat of a power outage. What I have been reading is about everybody’s worries if it will turn on, and if there is a issue you hope someone can fix it.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #32
ishoot308

Quote:
The whole idea is to not have to worry when you have the threat of a power outage. What I have been reading is about everybody’s worries if it will turn on, and if there is a issue you hope someone can fix it.

Not really...generators are quite reliable if installed properly and serviced at least yearly. If you have one installed and never service it, you can expect problems.

Dan
Old 10-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #33
Sue Doe-Nym

Default From generator to plan b

Quote:

I agree, Winnisquam, and now that we have established that ours was either not installed properly or is a lemon, we need some help regarding a simple backup plan for checking on electricity and heat while we’re away. Until we had the generator, I relied on the answering machine at home. If there was an answer, we knew we had power. As for the furnace, we crossed our fingers and counted on our property watcher to make sure it was working.
We would like a programmable thermostat, something rather simple if possible, that we could monitor remotely ( and thereby go into cardiac arrest if the temperature shows the house in the 30’s). We bought a Honeywell that we have since returned because it was going to require an additional 3rd wire to be installed, which is impractical because the furnace is in the attached garage, far away from the thermostat. We don’t need something that monitors central air, which we don’t have. Our heating system is propane hot air. If any of you can shed some light on this, we would be grateful. We are technologically challenged, having grown up with carbon copies, whiteout, mimeograph machines, etc., and were flabbergasted when they came out with fax machines! You get the picture.
Thanks for your help.
Sue ��

Last edited by Sue Doe-Nym; 10-20-2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #34
panjumbie

Default Test times for gensets

The test in most cases is instigated by the transfer switch. The ASCO transfer switches at my radio stations remember the last time the test button was used, and are typically programmed to repeat the test weekly at that time. Our service guy sticks a label on the switch with the test time on it, so I'll know when to expect it. I suspect some of the newer switches may have a digital display which can tell you when the test runs.

Starting the test cycle is usually not difficult, on our switches, you just push the labeled button. If you don't like the test time, ask your service guy how to start the test (or read the instruction manual that should have come with your unit.) Then start the test yourself at the desired time, and, assuming your unit is set up like ours, the test will repeat every week at that time.

Be aware that this test only tests the starting circuit for the genset, and probably that the genset is producing electricity unloaded. In fact you probably have to look at the genset panel itself, not the transfer switch, to make sure the unit didn't fail. A red "fail" light on our generators is bad news. It does not test the circuitry that detects a utility power failure, or the actual transfer mechanism, both of which can fail without your knowledge. Nor in most cases will it test that your genset will continue to produce electricity when the load (your house) is connected to it. That is why the only real test is to simulate a utility failure by pulling the disconnect. Yes that is disruptive, you'll spend some time resetting digital clocks and such.

Hopefully you have a UPS for your computer equipment, and you change the batteries in the UPS every few years before they won't hold a charge.

I worked for a major TV network for years before semi-retiring, and we ran those "pull the main switch" power tests about every six months. We often found issues, and we usually spent a day after the test discovering devices that died after having been turned off for the first time in six months. But the generators saved us on several occasions; I particularly remember the 2003 blackout when they kept us running for half a day. (I was there.)

If you really want this to be as "worry free" as possible, you need a good service outfit familiar with your equipment, and you may want them to check it monthly or quarterly instead of annually or semi-annually. Still, expect occasional hiccups and costs, it is like a modern larger boat on the lake, it doesn't take care of itself.
panjumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #35
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
I agree, Winnisquam, and now that we have established that ours was either not installed properly or is a lemon, we need some help regarding a simple backup plan for checking on electricity and heat while we’re away. Until we had the generator, I relied on the answering machine at home. If there was an answer, we knew we had power. As for the furnace, we crossed our fingers and counted on our property watcher to make sure it was working.
We would like a programmable thermostat, something rather simple if possible, that we could monitor remotely ( and thereby go into cardiac arrest if the temperature shows the house in the 30’s). We bought a Honeywell that we have since returned because it was going to require an additional 3rd wire to be installed, which is impractical because the furnace is in the attached garage, far away from the thermostat. We don’t need something that monitors central air, which we don’t have. Our heating system is propane hot air. If any of you can shed some light on this, we would be grateful. We are technologically challenged, having grown up with carbon copies, whiteout, mimeograph machines, etc., and were flabbergasted when they came out with fax machines! You get the picture.
Thanks for your help.
Sue ��

I also had to add a c wire to my thermostat. I currently use a ecobee. Added a c wire, which is the 24v required, by using a plug in 24v transformer near the thermostat. Just. They have many users, but as you said, I just need it for heat. Very easy and inexpensive to do. You Tube has many videos on how to wire it

Old 10-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #36
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
I also had to add a c wire to my thermostat. I currently use a ecobee. Added a c wire, which is the 24v required, by using a plug in 24v transformer near the thermostat. Just. They have many users, but as you said, I just need it for heat. Very easy and inexpensive to do. You Tube has many videos on how to wire it

Okay, you installed a c wire on the thermostat by using a plug in 24v transformer near the thermostat. So....you didn’t need to run something to the furnace itself? I think my husband found a transformer online. We would need to get the electrician back, but that’s better than having to run a wire long distance to the garage. Thanks...it’s worth a try.
Anyone else with a solution?
Old 10-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #37
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Okay, you installed a c wire on the thermostat by using a plug in 24v transformer near the thermostat. So....you didn’t need to run something to the furnace itself? I think my husband found a transformer online. We would need to get the electrician back, but that’s better than having to run a wire long distance to the garage. Thanks...it’s worth a try.

Anyone else with a solution?

https://youtu.be/gahPxCcPDto
Just one of many DYI links

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (10-20-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #38
map

In NY we have had a whole house Generac generator for over 10 years and it has been flawless.

It also tests itself weekly.

Last edited by map; 10-22-2019 at 04:42 PM.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #39
Wifi-1

Sue - How did that generator test go, and the call to Generac ?!?
Old 10-22-2019, 04:21 PM   #40
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Update

Quote:
I don’t have too much to report other than a conversation my husband had with Generac, and their rep was very professional, and did not tell him to pound sand. She asked for a scanned copy of the invoice for the service call, the one that sent me into orbit, and promised that we would hear from someone from the proper department....so we are doing a wait and see. I am hoping that they will send a technician to diagnose/fix/ the problem. Stay tuned....we are not going to let this problem drop. We have the impression that they are accustomed to problems with their products in that they have a separate department to handle them.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #41
map

Quote:
It shouldn’t need servicing, we don’t think. It is set to run for 10-15 minutes on the 1st of each month. We don’t have many outages, thankfully. The last one was a few months ago, lasted several hours, and the generator worked just fine. In this climate, we decided that it was worth the expense, and in the long run, that should be the case IF the repairman can make it run dependably.
At the every least the oil should be changed once per year. What we did is have a serviceman check it out every few years as well.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:27 PM   #42
Wifi-1

Quote:
I don’t have too much to report other than a conversation my husband had with Generac, and their rep was very professional, and did not tell him to pound sand. She asked for a scanned copy of the invoice for the service call, the one that sent me into orbit, and promised that we would hear from someone from the proper department....so we are doing a wait and see. I am hoping that they will send a technician to diagnose/fix/ the problem. Stay tuned....we are not going to let this problem drop. We have the impression that they are accustomed to problems with their products in that they have a separate department to handle them.
Maybe they need to sort out their authorized dealers, based on the many positive responses on Generacs posted here. Fingers crossed
Old 10-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #43
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Maybe they need to sort out their authorized dealers, based on the many positive responses on Generacs posted here. Fingers crossed
I agree. We are not too impressed with the local dealer at the moment. It’s not good business to bill a customer whose product is under warranty. We just want a functioning generator....that shouldn’t be too much to ask.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #44
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Generator update

Quote:
You all are probably on pins and needles, wondering how the Generac problem is going....right? 🙄 Well, my husband heard from Generac in Wisconsin today, and their representative seemed reasonable and willing to try to solve the problem. So...they are going to call another dealer to have a technician come out and service the unit/make necessary repairs. Also, they will pay Mr. Dayeb for last Saturday’s service call. I am cautiously optimistic that they will see this through. We’ll see. 🤞
Old 10-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #45
ishoot308

Quote:
You all are probably on pins and needles, wondering how the Generac problem is going....right? 🙄 Well, my husband heard from Generac in Wisconsin today, and their representative seemed reasonable and willing to try to solve the problem. So...they are going to call another dealer to have a technician come out and service the unit/make necessary repairs. Also, they will pay Mr. Dayeb for last Saturday’s service call. I am cautiously optimistic that they will see this through. We’ll see. 🤞
Sue,

That is pretty awesome customer service from Generac! Based on what you have posted I honestly think you will be way better off with another dealer fixing and servicing.

Hope it all works out for you!

Dan
Sue Doe-Nym (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #46
Wifi-1

Bravo for Generac !!
Old 10-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #47
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Sue,

That is pretty awesome customer service from Generac! Based on what you have posted I honestly think you will be way better off with another dealer fixing and servicing.

Hope it all works out for you!

Dan
We agree that they seem to be willing to make things right, which they should do. They will get lots of positive reviews if they come through. BTW, thanks for your support.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #48
NH.Solar

Default generator alternative

If you have an exposure for solar gain, here is a great alternative to generators; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6wglt9oCEA
A StorEdge system initially costs roughly 3 times as much as an automatic whole house generator, but it requires no maintenance, will reduce your electric bill to little or nothing, and its silent. If the power is out for weeks it won't matter because everyday the sun rises. The LG battery has 9 kWh of usable storage capacity and that is plenty to easily back up your essential loads overnight. During the day the solar inverter powers the house and recharges the battery.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #49
fatlazyless

Lightbulb ..... NH Electric Coop; service included!

The NH Electric Coop is always there and ready to go, when the weather goes south, and your power goes down.

Here in Meredith we are blessed with a local Electric Coop shack ..... a shack where all the power dudes hang all day long, playing cards, drinking coffee ..... and waiting for the wires to get blown down by stormy weather, or something.

As soon as the power goes out, the Electric Coop swoops into action, and goes out into the weather, and restores the power.

You don't need a generator ...... what you need is an account ..... a monthly electric bill with the NH Electric Coop ...... because restoring service comes with the Coop monthly bill. .....
Old 10-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #50
Dhamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
If you have an exposure for solar gain, here is a great alternative to generators; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6wglt9oCEA
A StorEdge system initially costs roughly 3 times as much as an automatic whole house generator, but it requires no maintenance, will reduce your electric bill to little or nothing, and its silent. If the power is out for weeks it won't matter because everyday the sun rises. The LG battery has 9 kWh of usable storage capacity and that is plenty to easily back up your essential loads overnight. During the day the solar inverter powers the house and recharges the battery.
My brother has a set up like this on his house in MA. Say's he hasnt paid an electric bill in 10 years. Problem is that if you borrow the 10K to install it, it will run you about $200 a month for 5-7 years or so. Since they last 25 years though that leaves you with 15 years of good Karma. (hopefully) Dont know what it does to the value of your house in ten years tho.

That being said. I have to laugh somewhat. We went thousands of years without electricity and today if it goes out for 15 minutes everyone freaks out.
Dhamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #51
patman

Quote:
We would like a programmable thermostat, something rather simple if possible, that we could monitor remotely ( and thereby go into cardiac arrest if the temperature shows the house in the 30’s).
Sue ��
One low-tech-ish solution is to have a surveillance camera aimed at a thermometer inside the house.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #52
fatlazyless

Another way to keep the house from freez'n up is with a reliable Rinnai direct vent, propane, heater ..... installed in a central spot, or in the basement .... to keep the house warm ..... when the oil furnace/boiler shuts down .... as oil is more likely to turn itself off due to soot covering the electric eye that watches the flame .... so's you have two separate heat systems, the whole house system plus the small but more reliable Rinnai by propane/natural gas which comes back on with the electric power coming back on.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-27-2019 at 11:54 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #53
Dhamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
One low-tech-ish solution is to have a surveillance camera aimed at a thermometer inside the house.
Do you come up in the winter? If not, just drain your pipes, blow them out, fill the toilet with RV antifreeze, take out all the food, and dont worry about it. Its not as if the house cares.

Last edited by Dhamma; 10-27-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Dhamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #54
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Draining the system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhamma View Post
Do you come up in the winter? If not, just drain your pipes, blow them out, fill the toilet with RV antifreeze, take out all the food, and dont worry about it. Its not as if the house cares.
Draining pipes and blowing them out, locking the doors and getting out of town would get my vote, but it’s not that easy because our house wasn’t built in such a way that it’s feasible...also on a slab. Anyhow, my thoughts on the above go unheeded, so I guess we’ll figure it out. I like the idea of the surveillance camera aimed at the thermostat/thermometer...maybe that’s the solution.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #55
secondcurve

Quote:
We agree that they seem to be willing to make things right, which they should do. They will get lots of positive reviews if they come through. BTW, thanks for your support.
You need to service these machines once or twice a year. Thinking it will always work without service is a rather big mistake.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #56
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
Many have simply installed a FreezeAlarm (https://www.amazon.com/Control-Produ.../dp/B000071NYC). You can call in any time to get power status, temperature, backup battery status, etc., for peace of mind in extreme weather situations. It will call you when something is out of bounds. It needs a phone line to call you about a problem, of course, and many have cut the cord, relying on cell phones.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #57
Sue Doe-Nym

Default The fix is here, on site

Quote:
The Generic lead technician from Moriarty is here right now....it’s like Xmas! They have been working out there for about an hour, and have just started running the checks. Hopefully, we’ll be in business soon with a working generator! 🤞 Thank you, Generac (WI) customer service.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-31-2019), Wifi-1 (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #58
ishoot308

Default Great!

That's great news! Hopefully they figure out what the others couldn't and maybe you just found yourself your new service techs! Win / Win situation for you!!

Good Luck!

Dan
Sue Doe-Nym (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 11:08 AM   #59
Sue Doe-Nym

Default It works!

The sound of music: the hum of a functional generator! I am soooo relieved...and happy! He didn’t find anything major wrong, but adjusted here and there, polished a few things, and set it to run once a week instead of once a month. Fingers crossed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
panjumbie (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 11:18 AM   #60
Moccasin

Smile 'sound of music'

Glad to hear this is working again! Here in Chicago we already have 2 days of snow.... heading your way?

Last edited by Moccasin; 10-31-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: corrected spelling :o
Moccasin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (10-31-2019)