Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2020, 06:22 AM   #1
GBGX2

Default And Tip Extravagantly!

My wife and I had two awesome sandwiches from Shibley's At the Pier for lunch yesterday. We had amazing chicken wings from Ackerly's the night before. Lunch from Dockside today.

Please don't forget to extravagantly tip the staff who are working so hard.

Let's support our local restaurants during this difficult time!
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBGX2 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-22-2020), Reilly (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

I would say 30-40% if you can afford it would be very appropriate and I’m sure greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Crusty (03-21-2020), GBGX2 (03-21-2020), Hillcountry (03-21-2020), JEEPONLY (03-21-2020), Reilly (03-21-2020), TheRoBoat (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
Doobs41378

We ordered out from our local place last night. They bring it out to you in the parking lot. The bill was $35 and I gave them $50. Just trying to do our part in making sure they are still open when all of this settles down. They wrote 'THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH" on all of our containers which makes me believe they have been pretty slow.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doobs41378 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-22-2020), GBGX2 (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #4
Hillcountry

We ordered from our local pizza joint last night and I tipped more than 30%. They are closing their doors after tonight's business. The sadness in our favorite waitress' eyes and demeanor was heartbreaking.
I told her "see you when this all blows over" (made her smile.)
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (03-21-2020), Givemethewholeclam (03-22-2020), Waterbaby (03-25-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
Paugus Bay Resident

We had fish fry take out at the Gilmanton Cafe (which was awesome), tipped accordingly. Don't forget to but gift certificates if you can.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paugus Bay Resident For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-22-2020), GBGX2 (03-21-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #6
baygo

To all who are leaving that something extra with the gratuity, I’m sure your generosity is appreciated. For those who may not have it in their budget, I’d like to point out that the Governor has Expanded unemployment benefits to restaurant workers, even if they continue to work. Those who are working in a “for tip environment” can apply for unemployment benefits to offset the decline in their earnings. If they were making $400 a week in tips last March and they are only making $100 a week in tips this March, the recently announced alterations will make up for the difference.

A word of caution to those who are purchasing gift cards. I certainly wish no harm on any restaurant however reality is that all will not survive this. In some cases being open and doing a small percentage of sales will be more harmful than to shut down. At full operation my restaurant requires about $1000 a day to break even. Going to a take out only model reduce operating expenses however not a fair ratio against lost revenue. If I were to do $500 a day in take out (that would ba a lot) I would still be experiencing about $200 a day in losses. Shutting things down is only costing me about $75 per day. It would be nice if they gave us rebate on our License Fees for the days they’ve denied us use.

I think the best thing we all can do for our favorite restaurants is behave as if we have the virus and do all we can not to spread it. The sooner the curve is flat, the sooner the restaurant scene will get back to normal.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-21-2020), BroadHopper (03-22-2020), camp guy (03-22-2020), Crusty (03-21-2020), Dad sold the C * C (03-23-2020), Descant (03-21-2020), Doobs41378 (03-21-2020), FlyingScot (03-21-2020), Hillcountry (03-21-2020), KPW (03-21-2020), Waterbaby (03-25-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Saturday night special @V.K. (takeout)

If they are offering the prime rib dinner at the V.K. tonight, it’s terrific and reasonable! Small portion is ample@$17, or we usually get the large portion and split it. Perfect! Don’t forget the TIP! Be generous.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
To all who are leaving that something extra with the gratuity, I’m sure your generosity is appreciated. For those who may not have it in their budget, I’d like to point out that the Governor has Expanded unemployment benefits to restaurant workers, even if they continue to work. Those who are working in a “for tip environment” can apply for unemployment benefits to offset the decline in their earnings. If they were making $400 a week in tips last March and they are only making $100 a week in tips this March, the recently announced alterations will make up for the difference.

A word of caution to those who are purchasing gift cards. I certainly wish no harm on any restaurant however reality is that all will not survive this. In some cases being open and doing a small percentage of sales will be more harmful than to shut down. At full operation my restaurant requires about $1000 a day to break even. Going to a take out only model reduce operating expenses however not a fair ratio against lost revenue. If I were to do $500 a day in take out (that would ba a lot) I would still be experiencing about $200 a day in losses. Shutting things down is only costing me about $75 per day. It would be nice if they gave us rebate on our License Fees for the days they’ve denied us use.

I think the best thing we all can do for our favorite restaurants is behave as if we have the virus and do all we can not to spread it. The sooner the curve is flat, the sooner the restaurant scene will get back to normal.
Thank you for the first hand knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
GBGX2

Default Unemployment Benefits.............

Baygo is correct about the "Expanded Unemployment Benefits"...

https://www.unionleader.com/news/hea...37f61d9e8.html

I would point out, however, that the maximum benefit is $427 a week or +/-$,1800.00 a month or $21,600.00 a year. This is hardly an amount that would give anyone a sense of wellbeing.

I would also say that Baygo is extremely fortunate to only have fixed expenses of $75.00 a day or $2,325.00 per month. Most leasehold restaurants have annual rents that average 6% of gross sales, along with utilities, insurance, labor, etc. Owners that own their own buildings have mortgages, property taxes, along with the other expenses above (and more).

I believe that owners who are opting to do takeout/delivery are doing so because they feel they have no choice other than to try anything to generate revenue.

I get flattening the curve, but until the State closes it all, I will continue to do what I can to support the local restaurants...
Old 03-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
Baygo is correct about the "Expanded Unemployment Benefits"...

https://www.unionleader.com/news/hea...37f61d9e8.html

I would point out, however, that the maximum benefit is $427 a week or +/-$,1800.00 a month or $21,600.00 a year. This is hardly an amount that would give anyone a sense of wellbeing.

I would also say that Baygo is extremely fortunate to only have fixed expenses of $75.00 a day or $2,325.00 per month. Most leasehold restaurants have annual rents that average 6% of gross sales, along with utilities, insurance, labor, etc. Owners that own their own buildings have mortgages, property taxes, along with the other expenses above (and more).

I believe that owners who are opting to do takeout/delivery are doing so because they feel they have no choice other than to try anything to generate revenue.

I get flattening the curve, but until the State closes it all, I will continue to do what I can to support the local restaurants...
The payment does not have any withholding therefore the same as earning around a $26,000 annual salary. Agreed the benefit require frugal management. Let’s hope it’s just a brief period.

Yes, I am very fortunate to have very low fixed expenses in the Tavern. Do you remeber what I started with? It is by design. Restaurants operating with numbers in line with your statement need to generate much larger numbers to breakeven as well.

IMHO: converting from dine-in to take-out has challenges unbeknownst to most. I see it similar to starting all over again. Demand falls back into a guessing game. This is less of a challenge for those who serve from the back of a Sysco Truck because the frozen portions will hold longer. The challenge is for the “fresh, made from scratch” crowd.

Sorry. I had so much more to add to this however, a couple of folks just came in the driveway. Regulars who missed us. I have to go down to say hi. It’s obvious thing most difficult about this for me is the social distancing. I just love people so much. I’ll come back and add later via edit.

Last edited by baygo; 03-22-2020 at 01:27 PM.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-23-2020), GBGX2 (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #11
GBGX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
The payment does not have any withholding therefore the same as earning around a $26,000 annual salary. Agreed the benefit require frugal management. Let’s hope it’s just a brief period.

Yes, I am very fortunate to have very low fixed expenses in the Tavern. Do you remeber what I started with? It is by design. Restaurants operating with numbers in line with your statement need to generate much larger numbers to breakeven as well.

IMHO: converting from dine-in to take-out has challenges unbeknownst to most. I see it similar to starting all over again. Demand falls back into a guessing game. This is less of a challenge for those who serve from the back of a Sysco Truck because the frozen portions will hold longer. The challenge is for the “fresh, made from scratch” crowd.

Sorry. I had so much more to add to this however, a couple of folks just came in the driveway. Regulars who missed us. I have to go down to say hi. It’s obvious thing about this offer me is the social distancing. I just love people so much. I’ll come back and add later via edit.
Baygo, I would say that what most tipped employees only and understandably care about is what they have in their pocket at the end of the night. Gross income is irrelevant to most. I would also point out that according to the article, the MAX is $427 while the average is $333.00.

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...h-rent-trends/ The average rent in Laconia for a 1 bedroom is $725.00. That does not include car payments, utilities, food, etc, etc, etc.

No matter how you calculate it, these hardworking folks are hurting and will continue to do so until this is over.

I would also agree that “takeout” is not a panacea to the restaurants who are doing it… it is their entrepreneurial spirit, in my opinion, that kicks in and fuels their desire to keep going. Most have not had the years of a successful operation that you have worked so hard to obtain. I think most restaurants are in the model that I described in my earlier post and have either substantial rent or mortgage payments along with the other usual fixed expenses. Many have only been in business for a few years or are a startup.

Baygo, I wish you well and join you in your hope that this is over quickly… I fear that it, unfortunately, will not be the case. Cheers.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
If they are offering the prime rib dinner at the V.K. tonight, it’s terrific and reasonable! Small portion is ample@$17, or we usually get the large portion and split it. Perfect! Don’t forget the TIP! Be generous.
Yes and Turkey Dinner on Wed!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote