Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #101
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
A camp just came on today in Meredith 1.25 acres 200 ft WF 965K.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Maybe send the link?

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #102
Sue Doe-Nym

Default 2 side by camps for sale in Meredith

The 2 adjoining camps have been in the family for 50 years, one priced in the $800s and the other in the 900s. Taxes on each over $10k. I bet they’ll both be under contract shortly despite their limitations. Crazy market!
#43 and #45 Happy Homes Rd., Meredith
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #103
Doobs41378

Quote:
A camp just came on today in Meredith 1.25 acres 200 ft WF 965K.

That’s more like a shed with beds.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:39 PM   #104
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
Ya, but it's a happy shed.😂

Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #105
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
The 2 adjoining camps have been in the family for 50 years, one priced in the $800s and the other in the 900s. Taxes on each over $10k. I bet they’ll both be under contract shortly despite their limitations. Crazy market!
#43 and #45 Happy Homes Rd., Meredith
In my opinion, these are way overpriced. But, I agree, that in this market, it is very possible that the sellers will get lucky and make a killing.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-15-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2020, 02:32 PM   #106
Biggd

How can you not be happy with a name like Happy Homes Rd?😂

Old 08-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #107
fatlazyless

Probably, a speculative home builder will purchase the waterfront lot or lots on Happy Home Rd via a construction loan, tear down the old cabin, build a new, large, modern house, and then list it up for sale.

This is what's been happening lately in this area of Meredith neck.

Have you seen the new house under construction at the cottage formerly named "gypsy camp", just before the Cattle Landing parking lot. Is like very large, new home. Do not know if it is a speculative or an owner build ....... but it certainly blocks out what used to be a great view from the road ..... is sooooo big plus has a three car garage within the house, as well.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #108
Hillcountry

Geeze... those prices are criminal...that said, I wish I owned them!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:08 AM   #109
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Yes, it seems like a money pit. I would run very fast from this one, especially at $1.2 million for a seasonal camp.

Something that I also find very curious is that you mention there is not even one closet in the entire house . It almost seems to me like they did it on purpose because of the septic issue.
They did it to squeeze more space out for rental. Tenants tend not to use them. They rented it since they remodeled it. As far as anyone knew there was no septic issue until they hit the assessment back. And for some people there is no septic issue.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:21 AM   #110
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
For about $1000 you can get a Pyrotenax 125' x 1 1/4" heated black poly cpvc water line, made in Ontario, with an internal heat wire, and thermostat control that runs on 220-volts and uses 1888-watts for heating the water line from the lake, all year 'round, including the winter months. You can tell when the inside of the line at the embankment is getting slushy with ice inside because the needle in the pressure guage, 30-50 psi, will get very shaky as it tries to draw water up through the slush clogged line so you know it's time to turn up the heat by a tiny turn.

It comes in a large cardboard box and the only item not included is the foot valve.

Installation is just inches below the surface of the ground and threading it through a 2" pvc pipe under the rocky embankment, so it's a do-it-yourself type of an install.

For a high quality, low priced, shallow well pump, 1/2-hp, 30-gal tank and pressure switch, go to www.harborfreight.com

Drawing water from a drilled well is no guarantee it will be quality drinking water, and you can get quality Laconia town water for 25-cents/gal from the machine at the Gilford Hannaford. Like, how much faucet water do you actually drink or use for cooking, anyway?
That’s all fine and good. If you don’t mind knocking off $300k of value.

The property is fine as it is. No reason to not use the well. They are not gonna order that it be shutdown. It’s just if the septic does fail they might not grant a 3 bedroom size replacement. But they might grant a like for like system. And they might limit the number number of bedrooms/bathrooms more harshly than if it didn’t have this new label if someone wanted to rebuild. It does not change what’s there. But could handicap what could be done in the future.

It was just to many maybes and probably’s in the future for the price.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:49 AM   #111
ApS

Exclamation Just Wait...

Quote:
For about $1000 you can get a Pyrotenax 125' x 1 1/4" heated black poly cpvc water line, made in Ontario, with an internal heat wire, and thermostat control that runs on 220-volts and uses 1888-watts for heating the water line from the lake, all year 'round...For a high quality, low priced, shallow well pump, 1/2-hp, 30-gal tank and pressure switch, go to www.harborfreight.com

...Drawing water from a drilled well is no guarantee it will be quality drinking water, and you can get quality Laconia town water for 25-cents/gal from the machine at the Gilford Hannaford. Like, how much faucet water do you actually drink or use for cooking, anyway?
Wolfeboro sends a regular "disclaimer" with its billings: there, you can read where Wolfeboro fails to meet drinking water standards.

Harbor Freight shallow water pumps are marginal. The three I've bought for my Florida place have all "short-cycled", then quit altogether when not used for a few months. If you spend extra for their so-called "warranty", be sure to read this owner's experience:
https://www.complaintsboard.com/harb...rranty-c910704

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
That’s all fine and good. If you don’t mind knocking off $300k of value. The property is fine as it is. No reason to not use the well. They are not gonna order that it be shutdown. It’s just if the septic does fail they might not grant a 3 bedroom size replacement. But they might grant a like for like system. And they might limit the number number of bedrooms/bathrooms more harshly than if it didn’t have this new label if someone wanted to rebuild. It does not change what’s there. But could handicap what could be done in the future. It was just to many maybes and probably’s in the future for the price.
A pleasant and modern chalet-style cottage nestled in the woods 500-feet from me (on Winter Harbor) was torn down this week. It was built 20 years after mine!

Cathedral pines were "harvested". Defective pines were left along the shoreline--certain to be removed in the near future.

This creeping "gentrification" will affect Lake Winnipesaukee in many ways; eventually, there will be a lush green lawn with what is effectively a B&B maneuvered to every treeless lot.

Squam Lake's septic considerations may save that lake from the overdevelopment that winterized retirement homes will bring.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-18-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #112
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I can't help but wonder what one septic in one house does to the lake compared to hundreds of boats anchoring in the lake on a given day.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #113
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Wolfeboro ..... Harbor Freight shallow water pumps are marginal.
I have a Jacuzzi 1/2-hp shallow well pump now for ten years or so, and it is magnifico ..... best pump ever!

Drawing water from the lake as opposed to a drilled well will maybe be a red flag that makes it impossible for a buyer to get a mortgage on your property?

Meanwhile, the City of Laconia has been drawing its' water out of Paugus Bay for over a hundred years, and the Town of Meredith draws its' water from Lake Waukewan, both are natural bodies of lake water as opposed to a drilled well going hundred's of feet into the ground.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #114
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I can't help but wonder what one septic in one house does to the lake compared to hundreds of boats anchoring in the lake on a given day.
These are state rules and our home on Newfound had the exact same issue.

Guidelines today are helping improve all the lakes and water quality.

The biggest issues with water quality were caused from many decades ago, not from boats, septics or homes. But from farms (using DDT) and oiling the roads (with PCBs). But build up of homes and roads near the shores are contributing to allowing these contamination to enter the lakes through runoff. Removing the buffers.

One other issue today is every time you drop anchor and pull it up, you stir up PCB’s settled in the bottom.
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-18-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #115
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
mswlogo's response is spot on. The other key thing to remember is that the concern is the total load of contaminants flowing into the lake. As population on the lake increases, we need to address all these things to make sure we don't destroy our already threatened water quality. So it's not one septic in one house or one boat--it's all the septics that need to be regulated, and all the boaters that should not be using the lake as a toilet.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-16-2020), Biggd (08-16-2020), Susie Cougar (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #116
mswlogo

Quote:
It is. It's location, location, location. The taxes reflect the value of the land. Both around an acre with reasonable access (not to steep) to clear water.

Put a modest 3 Bedroom home on either for ($400k?) and they would be worth $1.6m+ each, easy (but you'll have the tax bill to go along with it, probably $20K+/yr). Look at the prices of the neighbors.
Old 08-18-2020, 12:53 AM   #117
mswlogo

We found another place.

180 degrees different than Squam

My wife really wanted to be back on NewFound lake.

It’s almost 2 acres
~300 ft of water frontage (Sandy, gradual and crystal clear)
3 moorings
1 dock room for two boats
Huge house built in 2000
3 cottages (1 year round with full foundation) and all updated in 2000-ish
All well maintained.
It does not get a mountain Sunset but will get sun on the beach until about 30 minutes before Sunset I think through mid September. That’s a lot more than we had before. Should get a nice sun rise.
Taxes are bit high

All 4 have been being rented for a few years bringing in $58k/year

Only catch is Road is between cottages/house and water front.

Even though it was well maintained there is tons of room for improvements.
Landscaping and painting.

Cottages are on their own state approved septic and the house is on its own state approved septic. Both on public water. Septic capacity is 4000 gal/day (squam was 125)
Old 08-18-2020, 03:13 AM   #118
ApS

Thumbs up Jacuzzi: Second Thumbs Up...

Quote:
I have a Jacuzzi 1/2-hp shallow well pump now for ten years or so, and it is magnifico ..... best pump ever! Drawing water from the lake as opposed to a drilled well will maybe be a red flag that makes it impossible for a buyer to get a mortgage on your property? Meanwhile, the City of Laconia has been drawing its' water out of Paugus Bay for over a hundred years, and the Town of Meredith draws its' water from Lake Waukewan, both are natural bodies of lake water as opposed to a drilled well going hundred's of feet into the ground.
My Jacuzzi pump has been flawless for 24 years! (Until yesterday: it's normal good pressure simply runs down, with no leaks detected).

Grammar alert on above: hold off on ALL apostrophe use, and stay mostly correct.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:41 AM   #119
ApS

Question Back to Newfound Lake?

Quote:
We found another place. 180 degrees different than Squam My wife really wanted to be back on NewFound lake. It’s almost 2 acres ~300 ft of water frontage (Sandy, gradual and crystal clear) 3 moorings 1 dock room for two boats Huge house built in 2000 3 cottages (1 year round with full foundation) and all updated in 2000-ish All well maintained. It does not get a mountain Sunset but will get sun on the beach until about 30 minutes before Sunset I think through mid September. That’s a lot more than we had before. Should get a nice sun rise. Taxes are bit high All 4 have been being rented for a few years bringing in $58k/year Only catch is Road is between cottages/house and water front. Even though it was well maintained there is tons of room for improvements. Landscaping and painting. Cottages are on their own state approved septic and the house is on its own state approved septic. Both on public water. Septic capacity is 4000 gal/day (squam was 125)
Property investment-wise, we've done well. We bought here for long-held sentimental reasons (Melvin grandparents), and wouldn't think of selling--or trying to make a business out of it. Each to his own...

Rentals aren't the panacea to paying, what?, $35,000 in property taxes. Deductions aren't what they were in 2015.

Considering the roadway, is it a quiet dead-end road? Dirt roads can be dusty--a consideration if you're downwind from the prevailing breeze. Ask around. My last realtor was a serious fisherman, and got the prevailing winds question correct. Construction can tear up a roadway for three years for each built "mansion".

Sunrises here are commendable, if you're up to see them!
Old 08-18-2020, 04:16 AM   #120
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Property investment-wise, we've done well. We bought here for long-held sentimental reasons (Melvin grandparents), and wouldn't think of selling--or trying to make a business out of it. Each to his own...

Rentals aren't the panacea to paying, what?, $35,000 in property taxes. Deductions aren't what they were in 2015.

Considering the roadway, is it a quiet dead-end road? Dirt roads can be dusty--a consideration if you're downwind from the prevailing breeze. Ask around. My last realtor was a serious fisherman, and got the prevailing winds question correct. Construction can tear up a roadway for three years for each built "mansion".

Sunrises here are commendable, if you're up to see them!
I wouldn’t know about discounts. I’ve never been a landlord and possibly never will. I guess you have. I’ve never treated it as a business or investment. Biggest issue with renting is liability and insurance in my book. Especially around water.

Road is paved. I know about dust. Been on this lake for 34 years. My wife has been on it since she was born, as well as her mother since she was born.

I might sell off half the property with the big house and replace the cottages with a custom home. Not sure what we will do, lots of options.

Gotta pay the taxes whether I rent or not. And they are $18k. ~$2k more than I was paying.

This property just so happens to be renting and have lots of options.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:59 AM   #121
thinkxingu

If I were spending the money you are, I would not want a road in between my place and the water—in fact, that seems like it would be in the top five things I wouldn't want.

I know it's not nearly on the same level as what you're looking at, but we didn't buy at Squam Lakes Resort for that very reason.

Also, I have no idea if it applies, but just a note to maybe read the thread about Alton Bay eminent domain from a few weeks ago, where it sounds like a group of homes are in danger of losing ownership of the land across the road. A similar thing happened to my aunt who had a cottage for 25 years on Newfound. The beach across the road they thought was private was turned public. I don't know the legal issues involved—if it never really was deeded private, eminent domain, etc.—but it would be essential to confirm that it absolutely, positively never has a chance to go that direction. Here it is: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=25949

Old 08-18-2020, 06:20 AM   #122
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
If I were spending the money you are, I would not want a road in between my place and the water—in fact, that seems like it would be in the top five things I wouldn't want.

I know it's not nearly on the same level as what you're looking at, but we didn't buy at Squam Lakes Resort for that very reason.

Also, I have no idea if it applies, but just a note to maybe read the thread about Alton Bay eminent domain from a few weeks ago, where it sounds like a group of homes are in danger of losing ownership of the land across the road. A similar thing happened to my aunt who had a cottage for 25 years on Newfound. The beach across the road they thought was private was turned public. I don't know the legal issues involved—if it never really was deeded private, eminent domain, etc.—but it would be essential to confirm that it absolutely, positively never has a chance to go that direction. Here it is: https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=25949

I agree. And the Alton Bay thought is a good one!
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:49 AM   #123
Susie Cougar

Quote:
We found another place.

180 degrees different than Squam

My wife really wanted to be back on NewFound lake.

It’s almost 2 acres
~300 ft of water frontage (Sandy, gradual and crystal clear)
3 moorings
1 dock room for two boats
Huge house built in 2000
3 cottages (1 year round with full foundation) and all updated in 2000-ish
All well maintained.
It does not get a mountain Sunset but will get sun on the beach until about 30 minutes before Sunset I think through mid September. That’s a lot more than we had before. Should get a nice sun rise.
Taxes are bit high

All 4 have been being rented for a few years bringing in $58k/year

Only catch is Road is between cottages/house and water front.

Even though it was well maintained there is tons of room for improvements.
Landscaping and painting.

Cottages are on their own state approved septic and the house is on its own state approved septic. Both on public water. Septic capacity is 4000 gal/day (squam was 125)
Can you post a link to this new house? I’m really enjoying following your adventures.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:00 AM   #124
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Wasn't there a similar road issue, about 25-30 years ago, in Tuftonboro, where the beach is? I don't remember the particulars, but there was a home maybe 15 off the lake's edge, with Route 109 running between them (the road edge was literal ly2-3 feet fro the water).

109 got diverted behind the home. I don't know what happened as to the difference between non- "lakefront property" claims versus actual frontage.

Anyone know how things panned out for the homeowner/town?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:15 AM   #125
mswlogo

Quote:

If it didn’t have a road through it, it would have been $3m. Tons of homes on Newfound lake are like that. It’s a glacier lake. Original roads are very close to the water in a lot of parts.

I’d love to have 360 views of mountains, sunrise, sunset, 5 acres, brand new home and low taxes, private, no dust and neighbors that don’t rent, easy to drive to and near stuff. Oh and zero light pollution would be nice too. Bonus would be a boathouse. There are a few of those out there. Problem is they are $10m+
Old 08-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #126
thinkxingu

Quote:
If it didn’t have a road through it, it would have been $3m. Tons of homes on Newfound lake are like that. It’s a glacier lake. Original roads are very close to the water in a lot of parts.

I’d love to have 360 views of mountains, sunrise, sunset, 5 acres, brand new home and low taxes, private, no dust and neighbors that don’t rent, easy to drive to and near stuff. Oh and zero light pollution would be nice too. Bonus would be a boathouse. There are a few of those out there. Problem is they are $10m+
Fair enough. I guess this is where it gets personal—for me, a street and cars between me and the lake isn't lakefront.

Question, though: you've mentioned in almost all your "possibles" that you'll do a sizeable amount of work and/or rebuild. Have you considered putting those funds towards the purchase, increasing your range of homes from which to choose?

Old 08-18-2020, 09:51 AM   #127
mswlogo

Quote:
Can you post a link to this new house? I’m really enjoying following your adventures.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_36674962/
Susie Cougar (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #128
Biggd

Thumbs up

Quote:
Beautiful house! I personally like the rustic design.
I'm not a fan of crossing the street to my waterfront but if you can get past that it looks like a great property.
I looked at some homes on Waukewan where you had to cross railroad tracks to your waterfront. Even though those tracks were rarely use I just could look past that part of the property.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:37 AM   #129
mswlogo

Quote:
Fair enough. I guess this is where it gets personal—for me, a street and cars between me and the lake isn't lakefront.

Question, though: you've mentioned in almost all your "possibles" that you'll do a sizeable amount of work and/or rebuild. Have you considered putting those funds towards the purchase, increasing your range of homes from which to choose?

Upgrades would be future funds and were never a guarantee. But we considered homes up to $2m but our criteria was much much higher if we went that much. We have zero debt with what we bought. All we have to pay for is food, taxes and health insurance. Energy is zero for us (Solar makes money and fuels both cars).

We considered as low as a $200k shared beach cottage too. Figuring we could at least be on the lake and took our time shopping over years. But lake home hunting can absolutely ruin a summer too.

What we bought might not be forever either. Depends on what planning boards allow us to do. Also might depend on what the market does. That’s why I like the rent backup option. In case things did go south, say on job and market. Rent could fill in if needed. People will always rent. That extra backup security was the trade we made for accepting the road. That was partly why we sold. If I want to retire (or forced to early) the taxes on both homes plus health insurance was a little tight. But now it’s not.

And there are many things better about this place vs our last. Old place No garage, ever, very limited septic options if septic failed (might have needed to go holding tank). Limited sun as season progressed. Sometimes dust was bad if wind was not the prevailing direction. Endless cleaning of pine needles coming in. I’d spend 3-4 weekends in spring cleaning it. 3 levels in House (Washroom on bottom, bedroom on top) and 4th to the water.

My wife can comfortably take herself and our dogs on the golf cart right down to the beach. Golf cart is great, she packs it with all the beach stuff and food. Our dogs love it. One dog constantly jumps into the golf cart hinting let’s go to the beach. Because that’s what we used at the old property. Old property had a lot of stairs or you could go around the long way with the golf cart. A lot of properties my wife could not handle getting to the water. The golf cart is like a Gazebo on wheels. Love it.

All our favorite spots are close by land or water. Friends live a few houses over. Gorgeous long views from house high on hill as well as seeing all the action on the lake from the cottages close to the water. They get $3000/wk for the house and around $1250/wk for each cottage. But I’m not sure I want to deal with renters at all if we don’t have to.

One thing I’ve learned is you can convince yourself into or out of anything
Old 08-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #130
thinkxingu

Quote:
One thing I’ve learned is you can convince yourself into or out of anything
You're clearly thoughtful about the whole picture, though.

I've learned a lot about buyer's (and, in this case, seller's) remorse in my life both as a salesman and consumer, so I research and plan as much as necessary to reduce that potential to as close to zero as possible.

Thanks for sharing your process and thoughts.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #131
mswlogo

Quote:
Beautiful house! I personally like the rustic design.
I'm not a fan of crossing the street to my waterfront but if you can get past that it looks like a great property.
I looked at some homes on Waukewan where you had to cross railroad tracks to your waterfront. Even though those tracks were rarely use I just could look past that part of the property.
It’s a bit to much wood for us. We plan to paint a lot of bead board. A mix of wood and plaster is nice. 100% wood is to much. House itself is built like Fort Knox. Notice all the decks are cantilevered!! But because that they are on the shallow side. Would like to replace deck railings with possibly glass for more open views in the house. If we can get it to look right. All radiant floor heating. We also want to install a shuffleboard court (I put one in at the old house).

Last edited by mswlogo; 08-18-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #132
mswlogo

Oh I have to mention.

This is long, but I’m sure some of you will get a kick out if it.

One of the biggest reasons we passed on the island was energy.

We bought Solar about 4 years ago with great incentives. Totally out of the blue. Never thought we could have solar because of how house was situated. I got an energy usage monitor as part of the system. That’s where it all started. I went on an energy saving binge. My goal was Carbon neutral (didn’t even know what that meant at the time). Even though Solar was covering everything and excess went to the grid. I hated seeing waste.

Then a friend bought a Tesla Model 3 (he got Solar a few years before me). I loved all the tech. In Mass or NH it does not really pay to own a Tesla because of high electricity cost. But I still wanted it and solar made it a "little" more practical to own. I still had a Jeep Summit and needed that for lugging the sh$t that washed up on my beach. Loved that Jeep Summit though. Could not use Model 3 much traveling to the lake. So I decided I wanted to go full EV. Traded the Jeep for a Model X (it could tow). And swapped the Model 3 for a Chevy Volt. Yes, this guy is crazy. Yes, the island part is coming. I didn’t want to own two Tesla’s and it was cheaper to trade it. My wife also refused to drive the Model 3, which didn't help matters. She will drive the Model X though.

So now with incentives on Solar that profit paid for all other carbon fuel we used. Not Carbon Neutral but close.

In the mean time I sold my awesome Tige Full inboard. Loved that boat to death. Paid $32k and sold it for $20K after 17 years. But my daughter rarely came up. Mainly used it to water ski. Hard finding someone to ski with at 6AM. Didn’t use it enough for all the work of maintaining it. 2-3 weekends used just for getting boat ready for spring and winter. I do everything myself. That’s just how I am. And that boat was not great on any chop. So selling it also got rid of another carbon burner and it freed up some weekends. I knew it was dangerous selling it because it was a big anchor in keeping the house. We also had recently bought a Hobie Tandem island and preferred be on the water with that most of the time than the motor bought. But I sure did occasionally wish we had a motor boat. But it was so infrequent a need to justify.

Now comes the island. Had to get a BIG Carbon eating machine. That we would need to go grocery shopping with. We really really had a hard time getting past that. It really feels good living literally off the sun. I'm sure a big boat would have been fun. But burning that much fuel for pleasure bothered us. It was not the money at all.

We might put Solar in at the new house too depending on how things go.

Last edited by mswlogo; 08-18-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #133
thinkxingu

For the record, that looks like a great place to host a forum party. Just sayin'.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #134
mswlogo

Quote:
For the record, that looks like a great place to host a forum party. Just sayin'.

LOL.

Yes, there is tons of space. Probably can fit 10 cars or more, 10 boats and sleep 20 in all.

I’m overwhelmed on what to work on first.
What ever it is, it needs to be cheap right now since I’ll be tapped out.
So it will probably be lots of painting for a while. And refinishing some floors.

Need to get a good lawnmower. Like a low end zero turn.
I had Kubota at my old place that I sold to a neighbor. Wished I kept it now.
Kubota does have 0% financing for 7 years which is like free money. That’s how I bought the last one. But it’s not great for mowing that type of place.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:21 PM   #135
Hillcountry

Quote:
LOL.

Yes, there is tons of space. Probably can fit 10 cars or more, 10 boats and sleep 20 in all.

I’m overwhelmed on what to work on first.
What ever it is, it needs to be cheap right now since I’ll be tapped out.
So it will probably be lots of painting for a while. And refinishing some floors.

Need to get a good lawnmower. Like a low end zero turn.
I had Kubota at my old place that I sold to a neighbor. Wished I kept it now.
Kubota does have 0% financing for 7 years which is like free money. That’s how I bought the last one. But it’s not great for mowing that type of place.
If I may ask, what was the Kubota you sold? A z-turn or BX tractor?
I use a BX for mowing and it can mow anything and also serve as a multi use tractor with front end loader, backhoe (if you’re inclined) snow blower, plow and mower deck. A zero turn is nice ( I had an Exmark when I mowed commercially) but it is a one trick pony. Just wondering if you had ever owned one of the small tractors as they are real work horses!
Old 08-18-2020, 11:49 PM   #136
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
If I may ask, what was the Kubota you sold? A z-turn or BX tractor?
I use a BX for mowing and it can mow anything and also serve as a multi use tractor with front end loader, backhoe (if you’re inclined) snow blower, plow and mower deck. A zero turn is nice ( I had an Exmark when I mowed commercially) but it is a one trick pony. Just wondering if you had ever owned one of the small tractors as they are real work horses!
I had a B2320DT (Manual), no mower deck. Had box blade, a "Beach Cleaner" and Front End Loader. I sure used it a lot considering it was a small property. I mainly bought it to repair the road that would often wash out and to clean the beach. Saved a lot of time. I also launched my boat with it. A manual was perfect. It gets more power at the PTO. It allowed the beach cleaner to work which normally requires a larger tractor. It was a real "farm tractor". It was MUCH larger than the BX and was a lot cheaper too. A Hydro never would have pulled my 4500Lb boat out of the water either.

I had a BX25 before it. I rarely used the backhoe, and whenever I did I seemed to get into a projects that I should not have I was constantly taking the backhoe off to put on rear implements that I used 95% of the time. I didn't miss the backhoe much when switched.

I have a small riding mower "Home Depot Type" down in MA. Might be all I really need for the lawn.

The previous owner was a builder. He used a commercial graverly walk behind that he left on the property for someone to mow for him. Some of his photos you can spot a bobcat on the property. I think he used it to regrade the steep gravel driveway. I'd like to pave the driveway, eventually but that will be big bucks. I don't want to do it to soon in case I want to do some large projects that might chew it up. But I'm tired of dusty gravel.

Not sure a Kubota is the best thing to spend money on, but if I ever do plan to get one, might as well get it now and put it to work. Lots of folks use them to mow large fields. Not properties like this.

I need to be careful of operating anything on slopes and I don't know the lay of the land yet. I was always worried I'd kill myself on my tractor because there were some steep "cliffs" and one wrong move with the shifter could be deadly (disadvantage of the manual). I've read zero turns can be dangerous on slopes (easy to pop a wheely) especially on non commercial ones that have no weight up front. The walk behind gravely type was probably a good match. I'm not being lazy, riding just saves time and energy for other chores. Best thing I ever did was dump the small walk behind honda I had at home. Mowing went from 3 hours to 1. I'm not drinking beer with the extra 2 hours a week gives me more time at the lake to mow it's lawn.

I want to plant some grass in a lot of un-landscaped rough spots. A tractor would help a ton for that. I always think, what could I use/justify it for and suddenly projects appear and thrilled I had it. Another BX or B might be a good idea. The neighbor I sold it to always said if I ended up with a property that needed it we could undo the deal. But she loves that tractor. She changed her profile pic online to her sitting on the tractor and named it. I could never take it back now. Ooh I just thought of another project. With 0% financing it's really tempting. I bought both at MBTractor in Tilton.

My initial list is:

Paint some bead board (take some rustic edge off).
Refinish porch floor, which is HUGE, done that type work many times.
Paint outside, probably hire someone, way to big, will be a fortune, could be $20k
Needs new roof (not leaking), will be a fortune, probably $20k
Grade and plant grass.
Pave driveway probably another $20k
Sort out all the fire places/stoves/gas inserts (there must be like 8 in all).
Want gas insert in the best spot, need to evaluate chimneys (not masonary). No more wood burning for me.
Need to sort out furniture left behind with ours

Last edited by mswlogo; 08-19-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Hillcountry (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #137
Hillcountry

Quote:
I had a B2023DT (Manual), no mower deck. Had box blade, a "Beach Cleaner" and Front End Loader. I sure used it a lot considering it was a small property. I mainly bought it to repair the road that would often wash out and to clean the beach. Saved a lot of time. I also launched my boat with it. A manual was perfect. It gets more power at the PTO. It allowed the beach cleaner to work which normally requires a larger tractor. It was a real "farm tractor". It was MUCH larger than the BX and was a lot cheaper too. A Hydro never would have pulled my 4500Lb boat out of the water either.

I had a BX25 before it. I rarely used the backhoe, and whenever I did I seemed to get into a projects that I should not have I was constantly taking the backhoe off to put on rear implements that I used 95% of the time. I didn't miss the backhoe much when switched.

I have a small riding mower "Home Depot Type" down in MA. Might be all I really need for the lawn.

The previous owner was a builder. He used a commercial graverly walk behind that he left on the property for someone to mow for him. Some of his photos you can spot a bobcat on the property. I think he used it to regrade the steep gravel driveway. I'd like to pave the driveway, eventually but that will be big bucks. I don't want to do it to soon in case I want to do some large projects that might chew it up. But I'm tired of dusty gravel.

Not sure a Kubota is the best thing to spend money on, but if I ever do plan to get one, might as well get it now and put it to work. Lots of folks use them to mow large fields. Not properties like this.

I need to be careful of operating anything on slopes and I don't know the lay of the land yet. I was always worried I'd kill myself on my tractor because there were some steep "cliffs" and one wrong move with the shifter could be deadly (disadvantage of the manual). I've read zero turns can be dangerous on slopes (easy to pop a wheely) especially on non commercial ones that have no weight up front. The walk behind gravely type was probably a good match. I'm not being lazy, riding just saves time and energy for other chores. Best thing I ever did was dump the small walk behind honda I had at home. Mowing went from 3 hours to 1. I'm not drinking beer with the extra 2 hours a week gives me more time at the lake to mow it's lawn.

I want to plant some grass in a lot of un-landscaped rough spots. A tractor would help a ton for that. I always think, what could I use/justify it for and suddenly projects appear and thrilled I had it. Another BX or B might be a good idea. The neighbor I sold it to always said if I ended up with a property that needed it we could undo the deal. But she loves that tractor. She changed her profile pic online to her sitting on the tractor and named it. I could never take it back now. Ooh I just thought of another project. With 0% financing it's really tempting. I bought both at MBTractor in Tilton.

My initial list is:

Paint some bead board (take some rustic edge off).
Refinish porch floor, which is HUGE, done that type work many times.
Paint outside, probably hire someone, way to big, will be a fortune, could be $20k
Needs new roof (not leaking), will be a fortune, probably $20k
Grade and plant grass.
Pave driveway probably another $20k
Sort out all the fire places/stoves/gas inserts (there must be like 8 in all).
Want gas insert in the best spot, need to evaluate chimneys (not masonary). No more wood burning for me.
Need to sort out furniture left behind with ours
Yes, once you have owned a sub-compact tractor it’s hard don’t without one.
Don’t discount the BX’s pulling power! I have a steep driveway and the hydro has pulled all my heavy trailers up the grade many times! The secret is low range and 4wd and also pulling in reverse. I put a front trailer hitch on mine and that was a game changer as you can steer your trailers much easier forward and backwards.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:49 AM   #138
Biggd

Quote:
Don’t discount the BX’s pulling power! I have a steep driveway and the hydro has pulled all my heavy trailers up the grade many times! The secret is low range and 4wd and also pulling in reverse. I put a front trailer hitch on mine and that was a game changer as you can steer your trailers much easier forward and backwards.
I have a 27hp B series, saved my back many times. Two things I could never be without, my pick up and my tractor!
Old 08-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #139
mswlogo

Quote:
Yeah, the B and BX were both 23HP
What’s nice about the manual is you can control your RPM for implements vs speed more independently.
Pick an RPM you want. Then pick one of 9 gears.
With Hydro you get 3 gears.
Hydro is better for front end loader work.
Manual is better for grading or pulling.
Manual for Mowing fields.
Hydro for Mowing lots of obstacles.
If changing direction a lot Hydro wins.
And size wins if you have the space.
The B had better traction because of bigger tires and weight and it also had a locking rear differential. I don’t think the BX does. I used that a lot.
It’s just easier to make things smoother if it’s bigger.
B also had split brakes. Not that I used it much.

I had a hitch on my box blade.
I moved stuff around all the time.
And I could raise and lower the hitch.

The mowing deck for a Kubota cost almost as much as a low end (Home Depot) zero turn, like a CubCadet. And a low end Zero turn Is twice what conventional rider cost.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #140
Hillcountry

Quote:
Yeah, the B and BX were both 23HP
What’s nice about the manual is you can control your RPM for implements vs speed more independently.
Pick an RPM you want. Then pick one of 9 gears.
With Hydro you get 3 gears.
Hydro is better for front end loader work.
Manual is better for grading or pulling.
Manual for Mowing fields.
Hydro for Mowing lots of obstacles.
If changing direction a lot Hydro wins.
And size wins if you have the space.
The B had better traction because of bigger tires and weight and it also had a locking rear differential. I don’t think the BX does. I used that a lot.
It’s just easier to make things smoother if it’s bigger.
B also had split brakes. Not that I used it much.

I had a hitch on my box blade.
I moved stuff around all the time.
And I could raise and lower the hitch.

The mowing deck for a Kubota cost almost as much as a low end (Home Depot) zero turn, like a CubCadet. And a low end Zero turn Is twice what conventional rider cost.
Yup, Kubota accessories are expensive. The BX does have a rear differential lock pedal just under the seat at the back of the floor area.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
mswlogo (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #141
NH.Solar

Default Your next ski boat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7RsiEJtTQw
Park it under a bi-facial solar canopy and you'll have the best of both worlds!

BX Kubota is an excellent yard tractor but as a former B owner there are two reason's you may not like one; very limited ground clearance and you need to run the rpm up fairly high to get full hydraulic pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #142
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post

BX Kubota is an excellent yard tractor but as a former B owner there are two reason's you may not like one; very limited ground clearance and you need to run the rpm up fairly high to get full hydraulic pressure.
Yes, and that's why I wear my ear muffs!
Ground clearance I have not had a problem with...I just don't take mine into the woods...need bigger tires for that!
Old 08-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #143
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post

Yes, I posted about the Nautique in the "Electric Jet Ski thread". That is a very cool boat. But it still would not be a boat to commute with to the islands. Need something like a "Deep V" 25ft. And someone even suggested a sleeper in case when you arrive it's bad conditions.

But that Nautique might be doable on NewFound as pleasure / ski boat. I bet it's over $150K though. I do have electricity on the beach front. Which is surprising given that it's a public road.

You bring up another good point on B vs BX, that was another nice thing about the B you didn't need high RPM for working the front end loader. BX80 might be better than the BX25 I had. But you are correct. The PTO is also limited on Hydro transmission. Hydro sucks some HP away. The manual B I had was nearly perfect. It was bigger (more stable), better traction, wider stance, pulled harder, more HP at PTO and it was cheaper. It was just a pain when shifting FWD and Reverse. But that was a small penalty.

I can think of 3 projects for tractor already. 99% sure I'll get another B. I need to be patient (not one of my strong suits) and wait until I scope out the place more. I could get a lot of outside work done before winter comes.

I never had ground clearance issues with BX. But the bigger B is less PSI on your turf because of bigger tires.

Last edited by mswlogo; 08-19-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #144
Susie Cougar

Quote:
It’s a bit to much wood for us. We plan to paint a lot of bead board. A mix of wood and plaster is nice. 100% wood is to much. House itself is built like Fort Knox. Notice all the decks are cantilevered!! But because that they are on the shallow side. Would like to replace deck railings with possibly glass for more open views in the house. If we can get it to look right. All radiant floor heating. We also want to install a shuffleboard court (I put one in at the old house).
Have you moved in yet?

I was reading in the Laconia paper this morning that there is hardly any lakefront available in any of the towns. There are so many pending sales that it seems like everyone wanted to hold on to their properties until the end of the season.

I hope you feel happy with your move.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #145
mswlogo

Quote:
Have you moved in yet?

I was reading in the Laconia paper this morning that there is hardly any lakefront available in any of the towns. There are so many pending sales that it seems like everyone wanted to hold on to their properties until the end of the season.

I hope you feel happy with your move.
Thanks for asking but we ended up bailing. I was to embarrassed to post that we bailed again. Too complex to get into here but we are still on the hunt. In hindsight we wished we never bailed on the squam property with the poor site assessment.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #146
FlyingScot

Quote:
Thanks for asking but we ended up bailing. I was to embarrassed to post that we bailed again. Too complex to get into here but we are still on the hunt. In hindsight we wished we never bailed on the squam property with the poor site assessment.
No need to be embarrassed--we've bailed on multiple houses during inspection phases--it's part of the process. Also--I think you were smart to bail on Squam--septically compromised places are economic time bombs. This viewer wishes you well and looks forward to another exciting season of House Hunting with MSW.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:53 AM   #147
thinkxingu

Quote:
Agreed with above—no need to be embarrassed at all. You've got a clear vision and funds, so I think it'll work out in the end.

Good luck, and please do share where this process takes you—I've very much enjoyed shopping vicariously through you! It recently occurred to us that our dream of at one point selling our camp and southern NH home to buy lakefront is probably no longer a reality—just in the last decade, we may have been priced out—so I'm enjoying looking at the beautiful properties in your search.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
mswlogo (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #148
Susie Cougar

I have to say that I am glad that you bailed on that property. There was so much work that needed to be done and with the extra cabins and having to cross the road to get to the lake etc.

I try to put myself in your shoes. There is a new property on Newfound that just hit the market for $1.250 million. It is on Pike Point Road in Bristol, on over 1 acre. Have you seen this one yet?
Old 09-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #149
thinkxingu

Quote:
I have to say that I am glad that you bailed on that property. There was so much work that needed to be done and with the extra cabins and having to cross the road to get to the lake etc.

I try to put myself in your shoes. There is a new property on Newfound that just hit the market for $1.250 million. It is on Pike Point Road in Bristol, on over 1 acre. Have you seen this one yet?
Ditto.
And this one's "in stock"!Name:  Screenshot_20200913-100559_Chrome.jpeg
Views: 1931
Size:  50.7 KB

Old 09-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #150
Susie Cougar

Thanks, think. .
Old 09-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #151
mswlogo

Quote:

Yes, listing is a little misleading.

It's two lots and the house is on a smaller lot than the Squam one !!
They don't know if it's on lake or (dig well), how can you not know that? Well the trustee of the estate might not know a lot of details. Dug well was supposed to be abandoned for the exact same reason Squam property got downgraded to 1 Bedroom septic. You really need about 1 acre for a Well and 2-3 Bedroom septic to be state approved. A well alone takes away almost 0.5 acres from septic capacity. Plus you have to take setbacks away and the house, driveway, decks, patios. So septic ends up with nothing left.

The other lot is supposed to be usable but it's across the road and down a lot. So a new septic there is very expensive. Our original house had land ADDED years ago. Taxed as ONE lot. That added land is NOT allowed to be used for septic, even though it was perfect.

But that's why it's not $1.7 million.

Selling it also needs court approval.

As complex as that place is, we are looking into it.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:30 AM   #152
thinkxingu

MSW, now that we're getting to the end of the season, do you find yourself less in a rush to find something? It felt like you were really driven when you first posted, and a few members pointed out that it might be worthwhile holding out for the "right" place.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #153
mswlogo

Quote:
MSW, now that we're getting to the end of the season, do you find yourself less in a rush to find something? It felt like you were really driven when you first posted, and a few members pointed out that it might be worthwhile holding out for the "right" place.

We are still itching to get something sooner than later for several reasons.

We are 60 years old. I figure we have around 20 healthy summers left. We just lost one as far as I’m concerned and Im not gonna lose another one. Looking for houses absolutely sucks.

Some of Our stuff is in a MiBox pod. I have a trailer with more stuff and a golf cart in it at one neighbors house. I have my Hobie Tandem island boat in the yard of another neighbor. I have the house down in MA jammed with more stuff.

The Hobie will work well at some homes and not others. Same goes for golf cart. Not easy to sell remotely. It’s a mess. Not enough room in MA for everything.

Don’t really want to unpack my box and have to pack it again. MiBox is total rip-off by the way. But it is convenient. I packed my trailer and MiBox to only move a a short distance and then over stuffed them. They are not in shape to move 120 miles.

I also think by next year things could be even worse supply and demand. Inflation IS going to sky rocket sooner or later. Money for house is in cash. It’s devaluating by the day and will buy less and less a house. It’s insane to have that money in volatile stock market if I need it “soon”.

In hind site plenty of places have sold in our price range but we were locked into other offers at the time. Like the shack on happy homes was a good deal in my opinion.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #154
thinkxingu

Quote:
We are still itching to get something sooner than later for several reasons.

We are 60 years old. I figure we have around 20 healthy summers left. We just lost one as far as I’m concerned and Im not gonna lose another one. Looking for houses absolutely sucks.

Some of Our stuff is in a MiBox pod. I have a trailer with more stuff and a golf cart in it at one neighbors house. I have my Hobie Tandem island boat in the yard of another neighbor. I have the house down in MA jammed with more stuff.

The Hobie will work well at some homes and not others. Same goes for golf cart. Not easy to sell remotely. It’s a mess. Not enough room in MA for everything.

Don’t really want to unpack my box and have to pack it again. MiBox is total rip-off by the way. But it is convenient. I packed my trailer and MiBox to only move a a short distance and then over stuffed them. They are not in shape to move 120 miles.

I also think by next year things could be even worse supply and demand. Inflation IS going to sky rocket sooner or later. Money for house is in cash. It’s devaluating by the day and will buy less and less a house. It’s insane to have that money in volatile stock market if I need it “soon”.

In hind site plenty of places have sold in our price range but we were locked into other offers at the time. Like the shack on happy homes was a good deal in my opinion.
I love your passion for not wanting to miss another summer—fingers crossed, friend!

Old 09-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #155
Susie Cougar

In hind site plenty of places have sold in our price range but we were locked into other offers at the time. Like the shack on happy homes was a good deal in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

As I stated earlier, I don’t think this was a good deal. They both sold very quickly because they were nice lots lots in a good location.
However, now they need to find someone to clear the shacks off the property and get everything so they can start at square one. And everyone in construction is so busy I can’t imagine that this will be the easiest thing to do. And then you have to build a house, and how far out are the builders, at least another year before they can even get started.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #156
mswlogo

Quote:
As I stated earlier, I don’t think this was a good deal. They both sold very quickly because they were nice lots lots in a good location.
However, now they need to find someone to clear the shacks off the property and get everything so they can start at square one. And everyone in construction is so busy I can’t imagine that this will be the easiest thing to do. And then you have to build a house, and how far out are the builders, at least another year before they can even get started.[/QUOTE]

One had something you could at least use (while you build maybe), albeit a mess. It had septic. Maybe a well or lake water setup. And was the cheaper of the two. I prefer not get into building a house right now. Done it before. It was fun once but I don’t care to do it again. But I would if that is what’s needed. A nice house on either lot would hold every penny you put into it. With COVID and short building supplies, building house now could be very long and expensive.

I saw we would have bought those, but when it comes to signing in the dotted line we very well may not have. If someone is up for building, I still think they are a good deal. Neighboring houses on similar lots are like $1.8 million.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #157
Susie Cougar

I don’t know how to put up a link, but have you seen the new listing in Moultonborough on Swallow Point? Are you still looking at the other lakes or have you pretty much decided you would prefer to stay on Newfound Lake ?
Old 09-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #158
Doobs41378

Quote:
I don’t know how to put up a link, but have you seen the new listing in Moultonborough on Swallow Point? Are you still looking at the other lakes or have you pretty much decided you would prefer to stay on Newfound Lake ?
That is showing pending already.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #159
mswlogo

Quote:
We were kinda of excited about trying Squam or Winni. But really thought something in our target just wasn't going to show up on NewFound. And if it ever did show up it was gonna to be a frenzy.

I will say though, the "poop" thread and the "shooting range" isn't helping win us over to Winni. And the "don't eat the fish" on Squam didn't help Squam's case. NewFound lake is deep and turns over 2.5x a year. So it can take some of the same abuse that the other lakes cannot.

Might have some good news soon. Too early to say too much just yet. Everything we touch seems to go to **** after we sign anything.

We are constantly watching Zillow and a few realtors have given us a few early leads.

Thanks for looking out !!! That Swallow Point one looks pretty nice though.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:26 AM   #160
Susie Cougar

Quote:
That is showing pending already.
You’re right! This one went especially quickly!
Old 10-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #161
mswlogo

Finally in. Sorry too busy to chat.

Probably going to rebuild (which was an option from get go). But it's useable until we do rebuild.

Snap shot from this weekend.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:02 AM   #162
thinkxingu

Congrats and good luck!

Old 10-26-2020, 07:02 AM   #163
Susie Cougar

I’m glad you finally found something. Where did you end up?
Old 10-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #164
mswlogo

Quote:
I’m glad you finally found something. Where did you end up?
About a dozen houses from where we were on Newfound Lake.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #165
Susie Cougar

That sounds perfect! You’re back in your old stomping ground, as they say.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #166
FlyingScot

Yay--my favorite thread is back--keep us posted!
Old 10-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #167
lagoon

Default Cake

Having been on the lake for over 55 years I know what is best for me. It has a lot of what you are looking for on Smith Point area. Clear water, good sun, close to big open water but protected. We still drink from the lake at our place and if I could work up there I would move in year round.

Ours is an old cottage with add ons. We are right at the water and that is nice whether summer or fall. I think the southern end of the lake tends to be clear and have all the qualities we are looking for. Just my thoughts anyway.
lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #168
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon View Post
Having been on the lake for over 55 years I know what is best for me. It has a lot of what you are looking for on Smith Point area. Clear water, good sun, close to big open water but protected. We still drink from the lake at our place and if I could work up there I would move in year round.

Ours is an old cottage with add ons. We are right at the water and that is nice whether summer or fall. I think the southern end of the lake tends to be clear and have all the qualities we are looking for. Just my thoughts anyway.
Very similar. A lot of new buyers have no idea the differences it makes on where you are on a lake. The premium spots are rare and expensive.

You have to factor in

Wind exposure.
Sun Exposure.
Water Clarity.
How long to get there (if it's a weekend home) [we wanted to stay under 2.5 hrs]
What is near by, attractions are nice to take guest too, or eat out at for ourselves.
How easy is it to get to the water.
Is it gradual entry or a drop off.
Neighbors, do they rent weekly, renters love fireworks on their summer vacation, and it gets old.
Dirt road, it can really trash you cars. And dust can be and issue along with it.
Garage, pine needles and sap can really trash your car.
Taxes. The house we ended up with is very high.

They all cost.

Place we ended up in has exactly the opposite sun exposure. We'd get May, June, July sunsets at the old place. This place will get August-April. This is nice because it won't get unberably hot in the peak months and the sun will warm us and extend the days when we need it the most. It was gorgeous this weekend (cold and grey at the old place). There is an island (that blocks those July sunsets) but that island blocks the prevailing winds.

It has a whopping 420ft of frontage. Gentle access. But only a tiny sandy beach. Which could be widened with permits (I think, not counting on it). Lot is not narrow in any dimension. And you can't see a neighbor in any direction !! It feels like you are on an island (it was an island 200 years ago). Nice mountain view (3000 ft Mount Cardigan) and the mountain will be snow capped any day now. Property is not flat, but it has bumps in all the right places.

Only 2 hrs from MA and water doesn't get any clearer. It does have a garage. But it is on the same dirt road but further in. Old place dust was a problem, new place dust should not be problem.

The loons are still visiting.

This was like the 8th try, lost count.

We tried in 2014 to "upgrade". We put a down payment on a house on Squam. And it was nifty spot. But we went back a couple days later and it was like 5PM and it was completely shaded. Oh crap what have we done. We look back on the camera on our existing home on NewFound and the sun was still beaming on the beach. Luckily due to a technical error on contingencies we got out easy. We had a good deal and they sold it for more.

Then last year we considered a gorgeous home on a low tax town of Hebron off the lake. It was like 180 acres. Overlooking the lake. The nicest porch we've ever seen (massively deep, you could hold a dance on it). We made an offer and they countered but we were worried about being too secluded. SO we never countered back. When COVID hit we thought, secluded could have been really nice thing.

Then there was one we had all lined up when we finally did sell on NewFound. Gorgeous home. Low taxes. Pretty poor water access (steep and marshy). My wife kept saying she could not get down to the water. I kept saying I'll fix it, I was satisfied we could get to the water at all, so I thought. We had agreement all signed. They knew I was concerned about sun exposure. They sent pictures implying sunset on the dock. turns out they were like 3PM. The property would never see a sunset any time of year from any place on the property. Then we took a boat ride to visit water side. Water was pretty cloudy. We knew that could happen but not so early in the season. Tons of loons though. But then the sellers asked if we could move closing out 30 days. We said ok. Then they asked for another 30 days but we'd still close on same date. We said ok. Then they asked for another 30 days. We signed P&S in June and they were talking about November. We requested same closing date and we'd have access to garage and property (outside). They were upset when we asked for that. At that time I knew something was wrong. They wanted to find the perfect home before they would even start packing and if they couldn't find it, they were gonna back out in September. I said we want out. They wanted deposit. Then I found out both agents knew that was their plan and had documentation to show it. As as I pointed that out we got the deposit back the next day.

Oh keep in mind we are moving our MiBox of stuff from one house to the next during a lot of this. The title company and miBox knew us well.

Another was on Cow island. Gorgeous home. That's what started this thread. Really torn because the home was so nice. But only 7 months was was killer. Especially with wanting a COVID safe haven this winter if needed. Price was pretty steep for 7 months (they were asking $1.3 million). We did put an offer. They made a fair counter offer. But we passed.

Then a 2nd Squam house pops up. Talked about in this thread. It seems just the right trade offs. Gorgeous sun exposure (not mountain sunsets though). Squam is tough to get mountain sunsets on, probably $5million if it does. Affordable because it was 3 season and not a huge lot. But abutting neighbors were an Air BB and so was the cottage we were looking at. Renters can get tough if you have dogs and the renters have unfriendly dogs and you're pretty close. All refurbed. But no closets, renters don't need closets. It did have a new well and walls were insulated. All that needed to be done was insulating under it.

What ever we were going to buy we wanted it to be an easy sale in case it doesn't work out. So if say we put a new house on it, would we get that investment back? We thought so. Until the Septic Assement came in. That basically capped its value increase rate. This was a problem with our place on NewFound. Nice place, but Septic limits held it back.

2nd isLand. Another gorgeous home. Had the Gilford perks. And much closer to travel from MA. And cheaper. Really nice sun exposure (maybe too much). First buyer fell through. They had multiple backup offers over asking. We were about to put $100K over asking, no inspections, cash offer. Then I got the prior buyers inspection report. I posted about that above. Huge mold issues because builder didn't know what he was doing. House was sitting on rocks moved into place by hand. I could not pay that much, we never signed P&S.

Another off the lake house in Alton. Most gorgeous home we have ever seen. All essentially new. Super efficient. 360 mountain views/sunsets on top of a hill. 100 Acres. 12 acres of blueberries, that contract farmer took care of and made profits for owner with. We were so close to putting an offer. But it wasn't close to anything. It was an hour to anything on the west side of Winni. Why have a nice house with no water. We finally passed.

Then the compound that was listed for a long time. We finally decided to look at it. With rental income it was cheap and could be split. I posted about that one in this thread. One attraction was it could be split. Until we found out they sold a piece of it while signing the P&S. It took a while to figure out splitting was compromised with that sale. We lost $25K (half the deposit).

Now we found another nice off water house in Meredith (keep in mind these are over $1 million with no water). Waukawan in views and mountains. Could walk to public beach. We finally passed. We didn't have the excuse of it being not close to stuff. But every time a water front came up in our price range, especially on NewFound lake we were all over it.

Then magically one pops up near our old house on NewFound. No showings for a week. And sale depends on court approval. We put a full price offer, no inspections, site unseen, contingent that they accept it before any showings or else the offer was reduced (a bonus to sign early, well that didn't work, but the realtor was impressed with the idea). They would not answer the offer until end of a week of showings. So we schedule the first viewing.

The day before we view it another house pops up abutting the one we just put an offer on. I was on my way 20 minutes after it was listed. This was at 5PM and it's getting dark at 7PM and I'm 2 hours away. Realtor drove up from Portsmouth NH !! Renters were going to occupy the next day for a week. We started the P&S process the next day while we looked at the house next door (watching the renters arrive at the other house, too funny). They had 14 Showings that followed us THAT DAY (this is the first house that needed court approval, in case you are lost ). We knew our offer was more or less dead. So we signed a new P&S with this latest home (that I saw the night before at 7PM in the dark). Owner accepted our first offer !! We got huge browny points for being former neighbors and they knew I took care of a shared dirt road with my tractor. So the next day, we officially pull our unanswered offer on the house next store. Then we get news that the Executor selling the home was removed and the home is no longer for sale. Talk about fate !!

When we sold our house we were kind of bummed buyers were not coming to the closing. We kind of wanted to see them off, see their excitement, we thought it would ease our emotions. The seller of the house we just bought, more or less demanded we meet at closing. She was just as emotional as we were and wanted to see who she was passing it off to. We were thrilled to meet her as well. I think it was in her family for well over 50 years, maybe more.

We did a ton of homework on what to offer on the last house.

Last edited by mswlogo; 10-31-2020 at 04:02 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (10-27-2020), LakeTimes (10-26-2020), Winilyme (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 10:15 PM   #169
Winilyme

Quote:
Very similar. A lot of new buyers have no idea the differences it makes on where you are on a lake. The premium spots are rare and expensive.

You have to factor in

Wind exposure.
Sun Exposure.
Water Clarity.
How long to get there (if it's a weekend home) [we wanted to stay under 2.5 hrs]
What is near by, attractions are nice to take guest too, or eat out at for ourselves.
Neighbors, do they rent weekly, renters love fireworks on their summer vacation, and it gets old.
Dirt road, it can really trash you cars. And dust can be and issue along with it.

They all cost.

Place we ended up in has exactly the opposite sun exposure. We'd get May, June, July sunsets at the old place. This place will get August-April. This is nice because it won't get unberably hot in the peak months and the sun will warm us and extend the days when we need it the most. It was gorgeous this weekend (cold and grey at the old place). There is an island (that blocks those July sunsets) but that island blocks the prevailing winds.

It has a whopping 420ft of frontage. Gentle access. But only a tiny sandy beach. Which could be widened with permits (I think, not counting on it). Lot is not narrow in any dimension. And you can't see a neighbor in any direction !! It feels like you are on an island (it was an island 200 years ago). Nice mountain view (3000 ft Mount Cardigan) and the mountain will be snow capped any day now. Property is not flat, but it has bumps in all the right places.

Only 2 hrs from MA and water doesn't get any clearer. It does have a garage. But it is on the same dirt road but further in. Old place dust was a problem, new place dust should not be problem.

The loons are still visiting.

This was like the 8th try, lost count.

We tried in 2014 to "upgrade". We put a down payment on a house on Squam. And it was nifty spot. But we went back a couple days later and it was like 5PM and it was completely shaded. Oh crap what have we done. We look back on the camera on our existing home on NewFound and the sun was still beaming on the beach. Luckily due to a technical error on contingencies we got out easy. We had a good deal and they sold it for more.

Then last year we considered a gorgeous home on a low tax town of Hebron off the lake. It was like 180 acres. Overlooking the lake. The nicest porch we've ever seen (massively deep, you could hold a dance on it). We made an offer and they countered but we were worried about being too secluded. SO we never countered back. When COVID hit we thought, secluded could have been really nice thing.

Then there was one we had all lined up when we finally did sell on NewFound. Gorgeous home. Low taxes. Pretty poor water access (steep and marshy). My wife kept saying she could not get down to the water. I kept saying I'll fix it, I was satisfied we could get to the water at all, so I thought. We had agreement all signed. They knew I was concerned about sun exposure. They sent pictures implying sunset on the dock. turns out they were like 3PM. The property would never see a sunset any time of year from any place on the property. Then we took a boat ride to visit water side. Water was pretty cloudy. We knew that could happen but not so early in the season. Tons of loons though. But then the sellers asked if we could move closing out 30 days. We said ok. Then they asked for another 30 days but we'd still close on same date. We said ok. Then they asked for another 30 days. We signed P&S in June and they were talking about November. We requested same closing date and we'd have access to garage and property (outside). They were upset when we asked for that. At that time I knew something was wrong. They wanted to find the perfect home before they would even start packing and if they couldn't find it, they were gonna back out in September. I said we want out. They wanted deposit. Then I found out both agents knew that was their plan and had documentation to show it. As as I pointed that out we got the deposit back the next day.

Oh keep in mind we are moving our MiBox of stuff from one house to the next during a lot of this. The title company and miBox knew us well.

Another was on Cow island. Gorgeous home. That's what started this thread. Really torn because the home was so nice. But only 7 months was was killer. Especially with wanting a COVID safe haven this winter if needed. Price was pretty steep for 7 months (they were asking $1.3 million). We did put an offer. They made a fair counter offer. But we passed.

Then a 2nd Squam house pops up. Talked about in this thread. It seems just the right trade offs. Gorgeous sun exposure (not mountain sunsets though). Squam is tough to get mountain sunsets on, probably $5million if it does. Affordable because it was 3 season and not a huge lot. But abutting neighbors were an Air BB and so was the cottage we were looking at. Renters can get tough if you have dogs and the renters have unfriendly dogs and you're pretty close. All refurbed. But no closets, renters don't need closets. It did have a new well and walls were insulated. All that needed to be done was insulating under it.

What ever we were going to buy we wanted it to be an easy sale in case it doesn't work out. So if say we put a new house on it, would we get that investment back? We thought so. Until the Septic Assement came in. That basically capped its value increase rate. This was a problem with our place on NewFound. Nice place, but Septic limits held it back.

2nd isLand. Another gorgeous home. Had the Gilford perks. And much closer to travel from MA. And cheaper. Really nice sun exposure (maybe too much). First buyer fell through. They had multiple backup offers over asking. We were about to put $100K over asking, no inspections, cash offer. Then I got the prior buyers inspection report. I posted about that above. Huge mold issues because builder didn't know what he was doing. House was sitting on rocks moved into place by hand. I could not pay that much, we never signed P&S.

Another off the lake house in Alton. Most gorgeous home we have ever seen. All essentially new. Super efficient. 360 mountain views/sunsets on top of a hill. 100 Acres. 12 acres of blueberries, that contract farmer took care of and made profits for owner with. We were so close to putting an offer. But it wasn't close to anything. It was an hour to anything on the west side of Winni. Why have a nice house with no water. We finally passed.

Then the compound that was listed for a long time. We finally decided to look at it. With rental income it was cheap and could be split. I posted about that one in this thread. One attraction was it could be split. Until we found out they sold a piece of it while signing the P&S. It took a while to figure out splitting was compromised with that sale. We lost $25K (half the deposit).

Now we found another nice off water house in Meredith (keep in mind these are over $1 million with no water). Waukawan in views and mountains. Could walk to public beach. We finally passed. We didn't have the excuse of it being not close to stuff. But every time a water front came up in our price range, especially on NewFound lake we were all over it.

Then magically one pops up near our old house on NewFound. No showings for a week. And sale depends on court approval. We put a full price offer, no inspections, site unseen, contingent that they accept it before any showings or else the offer was reduced (a bonus to sign early, well that didn't work, but the realtor was impressed with the idea). They would not answer the offer until end of a week of showings. So we schedule the first viewing.

The day before we view it another house pops up abutting the one we just put an offer on. I was on my way 20 minutes after it was listed. This was at 5PM and it's getting dark at 7PM and I'm 2 hours away. Realtor drove up from Portsmouth NH !! Renters were going to occupy the next day for a week. We started the P&S process the next day while we looked at the house next door (watching the renters arrive at the other house, too funny). They had 14 Showings that followed us THAT DAY (this is the first house that needed court approval, in case you are lost ). We knew our offer was more or less dead. So we signed a new P&S with this latest home (that I saw the night before at 7PM in the dark). Owner accepted our first offer !! We got huge browny points for being former neighbors and they knew I took care of a shared dirt road with my tractor. So the next day, we officially pull our unanswered offer on the house next store. Then we get news that the Executor selling the home was removed and the home is no longer for sale. Talk about fate !!

When we sold our house we were kind of bummed buyers were not coming to the closing. We kind of wanted to see them off, see their excitement, we thought it would ease our emotions. The seller of the house we just bought, more or less demanded we meet at closing. She was just as emotional as we were and wanted to see who she was passing it off to. We were thrilled to meet her as well. I think it was in her family for well over 50 years, maybe more.

We did a ton of homework on what to offer on the last house.
Well now. This certainly puts to shame any real estate adventure I’ve ever had. You need to write a book.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #170
Lkin

Quote:
A lot of new buyers have no idea the differences it makes on where you are on a lake. The premium spots are rare and expensive.

You have to factor in

Wind exposure.
Sun Exposure.
Water Clarity.

They all cost.
All good points, but as a potential buyer, I've found that houses on the lake go so fast its hard to factor them in. You look at a house that needs 1-200k in upgrades and repair, that might fetch 300k off water, and it goes for 1.5M without ever being seen by the buyer!

But all great points, good information to ponder if we ever get in the position to get a bid in on another property.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #171
FlyingScot

Sounds wonderful, msw!

At the risk of being presumptuous--you do not want to widen your beach (plus, it's not allowed by DES for the same reasons). Two issues. First, as others have posted in separate threads, you want as much vegetation as possible in a buffer zone between you and the water, especially that last 50'. These plants will slow erosion and the flow of phosphorous into the water, keeping the lake clear and relatively plant/algae free, especially milfoil. Second, wide gradual beaches attract waterfowl, and that is the LAST thing you want in your swim area.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #172
garysanfran

Default Happy Homes Rd...Meredith

There are a few places for sale on HH Rd. including a 1.8 acre lot next to a 23 acre lot and another 1.7 acre with barn and "caretaker" house. Back in the 60's and 70's these were vacation rentals called Rockledge Cottages.

Anyone know what's happening there?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:51 PM   #173
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkin View Post
All good points, but as a potential buyer, I've found that houses on the lake go so fast its hard to factor them in. You look at a house that needs 1-200k in upgrades and repair, that might fetch 300k off water, and it goes for 1.5M without ever being seen by the buyer!

But all great points, good information to ponder if we ever get in the position to get a bid in on another property.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I know exactly what you mean. That’s mainly my point in the last two houses we were dealing with. 14 people looked at the first one the first day. The second one, one we got went under the radar. It wasn’t well listed to start. 7 pics and 1 sentence. And renters that prevented viewings. We had a signed P&S before 1 or 2 backup views occurred a week later. We were very lucky. House isn’t much but the property doesn’t get much better.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:54 PM   #174
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Sounds wonderful, msw!

At the risk of being presumptuous--you do not want to widen your beach (plus, it's not allowed by DES for the same reasons). Two issues. First, as others have posted in separate threads, you want as much vegetation as possible in a buffer zone between you and the water, especially that last 50'. These plants will slow erosion and the flow of phosphorous into the water, keeping the lake clear and relatively plant/algae free, especially milfoil. Second, wide gradual beaches attract waterfowl, and that is the LAST thing you want in your swim area.
I know all about waterfowl. I’m not talking about 50 or 100ft.

Beach right now is like 8ft and I’d like to remove one massive rock to make it like 12ft. It’s a lot of rocky shore. I’ve seen places legally do way more than I’m thinking.

See below

Last edited by mswlogo; 10-28-2020 at 12:44 AM.
FlyingScot (10-27-2020)