Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
AC2717

Default State/Town Owned Property (Visitor center used to be in Laconia)

I have to credit FLL (I know I know) with coming up with a decent idea but I wanted to push on it further.

Does anyone know at all what is going on with that property and is it state owned or town of Laconia owned?

With all the marinas closed off to public boat launching and even if you use them for repairs them charging a crazy amount to in/out, I am wondering what is going on with this property.

My hope, to credit FLL, is to make a public launch here. Except I would like to see it be a boat launch and not just a roof top launch.

Laconia is the only town on the lake that for some reason does not have a public boat launch, and access to the lake is either diverted to a marina that you hopefully do business with, or all the way down in Meredith or Ellacoya, Gendale if you can have a Gilford/NH Resident help you out. Biggest issue is the distance to have to travel to come back and especially if something is wrong with the boat and you have to take it out of the water, or any other host of issues people in the area have.

There is some parking there, it is off the main road, turning and backing would be very easy, it is away from main boating lanes, and there is a gradual drop shoreline there.

Who do we speak to about proposing such a thing?

Also are marinas even allowed to do customer only launching, I thought as part of their Marina status they are supposed to have a launch open to the public? or are they skating the law here by saying their customers are the public?
Old 10-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I have to credit FLL (I know I know) with coming up with a decent idea but I wanted to push on it further.

Does anyone know at all what is going on with that property and is it state owned or town of Laconia owned?

With all the marinas closed off to public boat launching and even if you use them for repairs them charging a crazy amount to in/out, I am wondering what is going on with this property.

My hope, to credit FLL, is to make a public launch here. Except I would like to see it be a boat launch and not just a roof top launch.

Laconia is the only town on the lake that for some reason does not have a public boat launch, and access to the lake is either diverted to a marina that you hopefully do business with, or all the way down in Meredith or Ellacoya, Gendale if you can have a Gilford/NH Resident help you out. Biggest issue is the distance to have to travel to come back and especially if something is wrong with the boat and you have to take it out of the water, or any other host of issues people in the area have.

There is some parking there, it is off the main road, turning and backing would be very easy, it is away from main boating lanes, and there is a gradual drop shoreline there.

Who do we speak to about proposing such a thing?

Also are marinas even allowed to do customer only launching, I thought as part of their Marina status they are supposed to have a launch open to the public? or are they skating the law here by saying their customers are the public?
Route 3 at the old visitors center is way to narrow and congested in season for a boat ramp to be built there. Just not enough real estate
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Route 3 at the old visitors center is way to narrow and congested in season for a boat ramp to be built there. Just not enough real estate
A lot more room than Meredith launch
Old 10-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Lightbulb .... what is 918 Weirs Blvd!

918 Weirs Blvd is a City of Laconia land parcel located on Paugus Bay just south of Lilioulukalani's ice cream which is approximately 75-yards long x 15-yards deep and sits atop a steep six foot high embankment. The somewhat busy Weirs Blvd runs along its length, opposite and above the lake.

Earlier this month, the old vintage information cabin run by the Lakes Region Assoc.(?) was removed by the Laconia DPW and hauled away on a flat trailer.

The property has two septic pumper utility sheds located at both ends of the long, narrow embankment land parcel.

What is planned for the property? Probably, nothing is planned and it's just people talking about what could be made with it.

I've suggested in another thread that it become a hand carry, car roof rack launch area for kayaks with parking for about 15 cars, a walkway down the embankment and a dock for hand carry vessels like kayaks and stand up paddle boards similar to the NH Fish & Game, hand carry launching/parking zone on 249-acre Lake Pemigewasett in nearby New Hampton and Meredith.

Maybe someone can post a good photo from google earth that really shows the property and where it has location with proximity to Weirs Blvd and Paugus Bay and the Weirs Channel .... plus it is most likely city property.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
A lot more room than Meredith launch
Not really. Wider road and large parking area. There is no room to have parking like that on Route 3
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Not really. Wider road and large parking area. There is no room to have parking like that on Route 3
sorry to clarify - more room for an actual launch than Meredith. The parking in Meredith does have a larger parking of course down the road, but there could be room for a couple spots, and there could be a launch dock like Meredith

Last edited by AC2717; 10-30-2019 at 01:58 PM.
AC2717 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC2717 For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Is a total NO GO for a motor boat launch ramp ..... not enough room .... plus nearby Winni (formerly Channel) and Thurston marinas have pay launch ramps for motor boats. Ditto that for Akwa Marina.

Is a total MAYBE for a hand carry, kayak and sup launch area. Is up to the city?

Suggest you go visit the NH Fish & Game hand carry boat launch on 249-acre Lake Pemigewasett in nearby New Hampton/Meredith on Route 104 to see what's what with a State of NH hand carry, launch area.