Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
Sman

Default What to add to boat gas

Not sure this has been covered, but what is the word on additives now that all lake available gas contains ethanol? Went to mtn view and they said they were offering an enzyme based product, didn't get a lot of details at the time, but am looking to see what people are doing. Thanks
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sman View Post
Not sure this has been covered, but what is the word on additives now that all lake available gas contains ethanol? Went to mtn view and they said they were offering an enzyme based product, didn't get a lot of details at the time, but am looking to see what people are doing. Thanks
Not sure what is the best stuff out there but I think a lot is being made over the ethenol. I have heard it all depends on the type of gas tank you have. As long as you check your fuel filter regularly then you should be good. Many additives out there do nothing... Unfortunately.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Not sure what is the best stuff out there but I think a lot is being made over the ethenol. I have heard it all depends on the type of gas tank you have. As long as you check your fuel filter regularly then you should be good. Many additives out there do nothing... Unfortunately.
also, if you are burning up the gas quickly, you don't need the additive
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
marcucci

With E10 gas there are a couple of things to worry about. First, and worst, how long the gas stays in there. If you are burning the fuel quickly, then add nothing. It shouldn't have time to do damage. Second, the fuel tank. E10 leaches resin out of some plastic tanks. Third, E10 attracts water and on a boat there is plenty.

Personally I use Sta-bil in everything I own except my Truck. My motorcycle, my tractor, and my boat, because I don't burn the fuel fast enough. I wasn't adding it to my motorcycle, since it has a metal tank I thought I was okay. Well, last year carbs were a mess. Had to pull and clean them and I was told by my mechanic, unless I am riding daily to stabilize the fuel because of the E10.

I just noticed sta-bil has a marine product. I haven't used that yet but I'll plan on trying it.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
ossipeeboater

in the places that have used E for awhile seems like the recomendation is Startron Enzyme fuel treatment. I used that on the winter toys when I put them to bed but I'll siphone that off come fall to run in the truck but the boats will get it all season.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
jst_4_kiks

best stuff that i have used with great results is seafoam. i used to see it at wal-mart, but you can get it at napa, vip, autozone, etc. can treats 48 gallons or so i think but i use a whole can on every other full fuel tank in a boat.

in my car i use one can when i change my oil.

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
Tank151

Default Seafoam the Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst_4_kiks View Post
best stuff that i have used with great results is seafoam. i used to see it at wal-mart, but you can get it at napa, vip, autozone, etc. can treats 48 gallons or so i think but i use a whole can on every other full fuel tank in a boat.

in my car i use one can when i change my oil.
I have to agree that Seafoam is the best! I have used it in my boat, motorcycle and vehicles (gas & Diesel) and it's great!

You can purchase at VIP Auto Parts.

Tank
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
fatlazyless

Best gasoline additive ever made is MYSTERY OIL. It costs about 4-dollars/quart, looks like red wine, smells like peppermint, and why the heck it works so good is a top secret, but it does!

www.marvelmysteryoil.com
Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #9
Blue Thunder

Default Another vote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank151 View Post
I have to agree that Seafoam is the best! I have used it in my boat, motorcycle and vehicles (gas & Diesel) and it's great!

You can purchase at VIP Auto Parts.

Tank
Seafoam is the best fuel additive treatment product on the market today, bar none.

BT
Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #10
Candodigger

Default Caution

Do NOT use additives with Alcahol ! It will make the problems worse.
Starebright Startron has no Alcahol
Candodigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #11
wifi

It will be so bland when Don gets the spell checker working
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #12
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcucci View Post
With E10 gas there are a couple of things to worry about. First, and worst, how long the gas stays in there. If you are burning the fuel quickly, then add nothing. It shouldn't have time to do damage. Second, the fuel tank. E10 leaches resin out of some plastic tanks. Third, E10 attracts water and on a boat there is plenty.

Personally I use Sta-bil in everything I own except my Truck. My motorcycle, my tractor, and my boat, because I don't burn the fuel fast enough. I wasn't adding it to my motorcycle, since it has a metal tank I thought I was okay. Well, last year carbs were a mess. Had to pull and clean them and I was told by my mechanic, unless I am riding daily to stabilize the fuel because of the E10.

I just noticed sta-bil has a marine product. I haven't used that yet but I'll plan on trying it.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
You definately want to use the marine sta-bil. It is designed specifically for ethanol. VIP sells it...it isn't cheap, but better than cleaning carbs every year. Right on the label there are instructions for storage and for regular use.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
Sman

Default responses

I appreciate the responses, I am also familiar with the problem as it relates to motorcycles, have 4 carbs that need to be redone, I was told to add K100 to the gas, problem was, as pointed out here that it sat too long. I will keep an eye on my filter and find out what my tank is made out of, sounds like there are few good additives/options, the best of which is use the boat often, but at the end of the season that is not an option.

fatlazyless...you are adding mystery oil to your gas?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
fatlazyless

A two ounce measure of Mystery Oil added to the six gal tank on the four-stroke outboard which has carburetors seems to keep it running happy. The stuff looks just like red wine, and it smells real nice, too.

Mystery Oil is best served totally chilled and with a double-cheeseburger.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-07-2009 at 01:30 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Mechanic reccomends

I had the gas tank, my fuel lines replaced. My carbureator rebuilt with new gaskets. All because of Ethanol. The only product my mechanic reccomends is Seafoam for winter storage. This was before the ezyme base propducts came out. My mechanic recomends Marvel Mystery Oil for fogging and for lubricating the cylinders after a hydro lock.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default No Alcohol!

It is very important that you do not add any additives that contain alcohol! Remember "ethanol" is alcohol so by adding a fuel additive that contains alcohol you are simply increasing the amount of water absorption to your fuel system. Seafoam and many many others all have high alcohol contents and from what I have read should NOT be used with ethanol gas.

There are only a few additives that I am aware that do not contain alcohol. Startron and Stabil Marine formula are two products that appear to be helping with ethanol related issues and do not contain alcohol.

Go here...

http://www.fuel-testers.com/is_gas_a..._e10_list.html to read info on which additives contain alcohol.

There is some excellent reading about ethanol and the problems it causes on this site.

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 05-27-2009 at 10:47 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #17
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Follow Up

As a follow up to my previous post, the following boat companies have recommended Stabil Marine brand products in their engine fuel systems and generators.

Chris Craft
Formula Boats
Tiara Yachts
Carver Yacht
Correct Craft
Pleasurecraft Engine Group

An impressive list!

No, I don't work for Stabil, just trying to pass on good information.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #18
Sman

Default sta-bil

Based on info here and follow up reading, I bought the marine formula STA-BIL ethanol treatment. Its says 1 oz per 10 gallons for ongoing use and 2x that rate for storage. To fatlazyless's point, most of the warnings and ingredients list reads like mystery oil...maybe same/similar product at higher price, not sure. Even before the ethanol issue I have always "winterized" the engine with a mercruiser product, I was asking here specifically for the ongoing summer use issue as sometimes the boat will sit for 2 weeks+ at a time. Appreciate the info
Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #19
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Lawsuit on Ethanol moves forward

See attached. I saw this was started more than a year ago. Big oil lost it's bid to have the class action thrown out.

Bet we'll be seeing many more of this type of response to E10.

http://www.csnews.com/csn/petroleum/..._id=1003933849

My lousy little 50HP is totally out of commission. Dave's Motor Boat Shoppe is backed up for weeks with related problems.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #20
fatlazyless

Here's some marinas in Ashland & Holderness with tons of outboard repair experience. In Ashland on Little Squam, there's Rivers Edge Marina which is a Mercury and Honda dealer. In Holderness on Little Squam, there's Squam Lake Boat Livery which is an Evinrude/Johnson dealer. For Suzuki outboards, there's Y-Landing Marina hidden away on Meredith Neck. If you have a Yamaha then you is out of luck wait'n all summer for Dave.........!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-07-2009 at 02:04 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote