Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
Bizer

Default For what should I be looking?

Bizer will be up at Winnipesaukee several times over the next few weekends. We shall be checking for updates to our chart of the lake. If you know of anything that you think we should examine, please post it here or email us at updates@bizer.com. We are looking for such items as
  • Buoys that may have moved (such as between Eagle Island and Governors Island). Even if a buoy moved and was reset by the Marine Patrol, we want to know about it. We want to insure we chart its exact position.
  • New buoys that are not on Bizer's chart (even if you think they were placed by private citizens)
  • Missing buoys
  • Shallow areas not clearly depicted on Bizer's chart
  • Any Elvis sightings that you would like us to confirm
  • Any island that is not on our list of islands
  • Anything that you deem noteworthy and/or should be on Bizer's chart

September is the best time to boat on Winnipesaukee. Mingling with the steamboats at Lee's Mills makes it more enjoyable. The smell of wood and coal burning is exhilarating.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:17 AM   #2
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Thumbs up A few small items

No number on FL 46 (Round I) last season or so far this season. Plus there is a "bush" on the rock under FL 46 that partially obscures the view of the light. If the bush keeps growing will that eventually qualify it as an Island?

I don't have my 6th edition in front of me, it's on the boat, but I don't think it has the relatively new "no wake" sign just north of the Gov Isl Bridge (see pic below - the sign is not far from what looks like a wake ).

Thanks for all you efforts and the great chart/map.
Attached Images

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.

Last edited by webmaster; 12-06-2005 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added FL 46 picture link
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
Tired of Waiting

Default For us !!

Hi,

If you have time look for the Forum Fest I Wolfboro at the Gazebo, Cate Park.

Stop buy and say hellow.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Island Girl

Default Say hello

Stop by and say hello!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Dave R

The red topped spar southeast of the Varney Islands seems to have been moved clore to the rock it protects us from.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
Loony Singer

Default Near Nine Acre Island

As you come out from behind Nine Acre Island, headed for the tip of Dow, there is a red spar that actually seems to be on the wrong side of some very visible rocks.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
Bear Islander

There is a red marker soutwest of Pine Island that was close to the island and now is quite far from it. However the change was made several years ago. Many boats cut inside it.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
MJM

There's a new Spar at Umbrella point off Wolfeboro Neck.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #9
islandAl

Default Fl 52

new pair of markers added this year, now 3 sets
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:08 PM   #10
DRH

Default Email Not Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer
If you know of anything that you think we should examine, please post it here or email us at updates@bizer.com.
Bizer - I tried sending you some information at that email address, but it came back with the following error message:

"This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

The user(s) account is temporarily over the storage quota."
Old 09-08-2005, 07:36 PM   #11
Bizer

Quote:
Bizer - I tried sending you some information at that email address, but it came back with the following error message:
Bizer has two email addresses: xxxxxxxx@bizer.com (you can put anything and everything before the @). If that doesn't work, try bizer@aol.com

And keep those suggestions coming. I've already increased my to-do list by about 30%.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #12
randa steblez

Default Dolly Island Designations

Could you supply me with the accurate names of the islands that make up
the Dolly Island group? I know them very well because I have been studying
their plant and wildlife for over 2 years, but I want also accurate info.
on their official names. Also any information on their history would be
appreciated (Not concerning "Aunt Dolly",however, who did not actually
reside on those islands) Thank you. My e-mail is garnerjoann.@aol.com
randa steblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #13
Bizer

Default An update

First, to answer a question:
Quote:
Could you supply me with the accurate names of the islands that make up the Dolly Island group?
I've found the best source of information is at the town assessors' office. Look at tax maps. If the island names are not given, contact the owners.

As for other stuff that Bizer has noted:
  • The buoys between Governor's Island and Eagle Island have NOT moved enough to be noticed on my GPS (15 feet). The buoys south of Varney Islands also appear to be in the same location (+/- 15 ft).
  • As reported, the red-and-white buoy south of Pine Island did move substantially. I don't know why. This puts Bizer in a quandary: Should we report its actual position or last year's position? We think last year's position is the correct one.
  • Yes, there are now three pairs of buoys next to FL#52. Two pairs were adequate prior to 2005. The third pair seems superfluous.
  • The red buoy at the southern end of Green's Basin is still in the incorrect position. It is next to a rock that is clearly visible. Prior to 2003, it used to mark a rock that is three feet below the surface.
  • There's a new buoy in SW Moultonboro Bay. If you look at Bizer's chart, there are many rocks far from the shore. Now, the most dangerous is marked.
  • The rock at Umbrella Point (Wofleboro Neck) is only on a Bizer chart (shameless plug here). It is now marked with a buoy.
  • One of the red buoys at the SE end of Winter Harbor was moved in 2002. It has been returned to its pre-2002 position (next to a rock).
  • One of the black-and-white buoys east of Stonedam Island was moved from one rock to another rock. Go figure.
  • Despite letters to the MP, there is still a rock south of Fish Island that is outside the buoys there. Either a new buoy should be added or one of the buoys should be moved.
  • Someone has removed the vegetation from light #46 (Round Island).
  • As Skipper-of-the-Sea-Que noted, there's a new NO-WAKE buoy northwest of the Governor's Island Bridge. It seems kinda redundant as the bridge has "NO-WAKE" written on it.
  • There are NO-RAFTING buoys in Brickyard Cove (between Barndoor Island and Clay Point). I don't recall this. Is this now an official NR zone? Or did the beach owners just put out buoys, boating-public-be-damned.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:03 AM   #14
jrc

The latest no rafting area on Winnipesaukee:

(11) Brickyard Cove, encompassing a described area that would run south of an imaginary line running about 2,300 feet from the northern tip of Clay Point to the southern tip of Barndoor Island.

This is from http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/saf-c400.html

So the boating-public-be-damned, yes. But, they went through legal channels to do it. It is just a matter of time until all the lake is a no-rafting zone.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:01 AM   #15
Bear Lover

Quote:
  • As reported, the red-and-white buoy south of Pine Island did move substantially. I don't know why. This puts Bizer in a quandary: Should we report its actual position or last year's position? We think last year's position is the correct one.
The local rumor is that a resident of Pine has been moving the red marker away from the island to keep boats further away.

Should this be reported to the Marine Patrol?
Bear Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #16
KTO

Default Yes!

Yes! Definitely! This is illegal!

Quote:
Keep in mind it is illegal to: Moor or attach a vessel to a buoy (except mooring buoys), beacon, light, or any other navigational aid placed on public waters by proper authorities. Also, it is illegal to move, displace, tamper with, damage, or destroy any navigational aid.
Source: http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/course/p4-...navigation.htm
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:12 PM   #17
Pine Island Guy

Default the case of the moving buoy...

Quote:
As reported, the red-and-white buoy south of Pine Island did move substantially. I don't know why. This puts Bizer in a quandary: Should we report its actual position or last year's position? We think last year's position is the correct one.

Originally Posted by Bear Lover
Quote:
The local rumor is that a resident of Pine has been moving the red marker away from the island to keep boats further away.
The buoy is so far out of place that most people who are familiar with the area don't pay any attention to it at all (including me)... However I thought that it was put in its current position when the MP replaced the wooden spar two years ago... (the rumor I heard was that the mystery resident slipped the buoy installer a few bucks to put it farther out - hahaha)...

In any case, I agree that it should be shown in the correct position on the map, however if the coordinates go into the GPS incorrectly there may a few folks whacking the buoy on the way through there at night...

PIG

p.s. hopefully the MP will move it to the correct position too

Last edited by Pine Island Guy; 09-22-2005 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added p.s.
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #18
KTO

Also, I'm not sure but I noticed that one of the Black buoys going into Center Harbor has been missing.

And also, in the Patrician Shores/Brookhurst area, there is a dangerous rock field, where every year we witness 5-10 boat crashes every year, and about 20 near missed (That we've seen anyways). Perhaps make a note on the map that says Navigate with Caution or Dangerous Rock Field. I think it's poorly marked. As a matter of fact, a couple of weeks ago, we saw someone pull a skiier through there. I think the driver noticed the color change in the water, and immediately stopped the boat. He got out to help the skiier in and was standing in 2-3 feet of water. May want to make a note on that one!
Old 09-22-2005, 07:41 PM   #19
Mee-n-Mac

Question Which rock feild

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTO
And also, in the Patrician Shores/Brookhurst area, there is a dangerous rock field, where every year we witness 5-10 boat crashes every year, and about 20 near missed (That we've seen anyways). Perhaps make a note on the map that says Navigate with Caution or Dangerous Rock Field. I think it's poorly marked.
Are you refering to the "quadrangle" out in front of the Brookhurst docks ? If so then it's marked on Bizer's chart as "numerous shallow rocks in this area" (or words to that effect). I agree it's poorly marked by bouys, especially if you're coming from the Beaver I towards Farrar Pt. Oddly enough I only saw cruisers, leaving said point, cutting between the black markers run into trouble. Aaaah the memories ....
Old 09-23-2005, 01:57 PM   #20
KTO

Yup, probably one of the worst marked (But easiest TO mark) spot on the lake. It's become a common event seeing daredevils and people who have no clue zooming through there.

I was just thinking that maybe the newest Bizer map could say: Navigate with Caution, or Navigate at your own risk, because it is so poorly marked (and not just "Numerous shallow spots" (Or whatever you said it was))