Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
lawn psycho

Default Are no wake zones really a mystery??

In the last three weekends, I have watched at least 8-10 boaters in no-wake zones traveling along on plane. Today I watched a boat leave the Alton docks and motor away as soon as he turned his boat around. This was not a rental boat either. You'd think he would have figured it out with all the people (all going headway speed) in the area just staring at him as he plowed past people.

Secondly, if a boat is traveling directly at you, turn starboard (right) so you both can pass each other without issue.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
In the last three weekends, I have watched at least 8-10 boaters in no-wake zones traveling along on plane. Today I watched a boat leave the Alton docks and motor away as soon as he turned his boat around. This was not a rental boat either. You'd think he would have figured it out with all the people (all going headway speed) in the area just staring at him as he plowed past people.

Secondly, if a boat is traveling directly at you, turn starboard (right) so you both can pass each other without issue.
That truely is too bad. I have seen it happen a few times this year already and it is only Memorial Day. Once last week which I mentioned in a different thread that was a rental, then gain this weekend at Bear Island No Wake of all places... This was a small Boston Whaler with kids going fishing it looked like. They not only went straight through the no wake but were less then 50 feet from me.

I am just wondering, do people think that it might be due to the newer barrell shape no wake signs then then old round signs with orange paint? To me they seem more visable.. Just a thought.

Maybe we can ask for another law to be added to rectify this? Perhaps you can only travel at or below a certain RPM range?

You really can't be surprised now that they cut the budget 700K. There will be a lot less patrols out there to help with safety, education and enforcement.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
robmac

I agree,it seems to me for along time that if you are not the consistent vigilent defensive boater not only do they pass you less than 150' at speed they look at you like why aren't you heading the oposite direction. But still think any day at the lake is better than anywhere else.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
AC2717

I personally would like to see them replace the red and black top markers, with cans or bigger markers, they are very hard to see in the sun, not to mention when the waves are rolling
Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
I am just wondering, do people think that it might be due to the newer barrell shape no wake signs then then old round signs with orange paint? To me they seem more visable.. Just a thought.
When I watched it happen, they ONLY thing that could explain it had to be absolute ignorance to the fact that he was in a no-wake zone. He had about 4-5 people on board with him.

I seriously doubt someone would purposedly drive like he was.... I also wonder if he thought, "why is everyone driving so slow."

Perhaps the signs could be larger but the one's in Alton are spaced fairly close to the bandstand so they are hard to miss.

Last edited by lawn psycho; 05-31-2010 at 06:41 PM.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
....had to be absolute ignorance to the fact that he was in a no-wake zone. He had about 4-5 people on board with him.
I have another thought..Not Absolute Ignorance......But Absolute Arrogance.

At the same time I am starting to recognize my own Cynicism in my old age. (69) I can't come up with any other reason why I continue to be ....I hate this word......Offended....by STUFF that is going on everywhere... of late. Maybe it's just me. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
XCR-700

Any chance its just new boaters who are still trying to figure everything out?

I have seen new boaters do some strange things when they get overwhelmed and on a busy holiday weekend and with a boat full of passengers I can only imagine that they would be pretty busy just trying to keep everything under control.

New boaters should refrain from inviting friends along until they get a few trips under their belt,,,

Sure hope its not arrogant/impatient Capt Boneheads as we will suffer for their actions,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default No Wake Zone

I too witnessed two boats ignoring the no wake zone near the Governers Island Bridge. Both were heading from Sanders Bay and did not slow to idle speed until just before the bridge and then after they felt that they were sufficently past the bridge they took off again. I have 30 years of boating experience (lake and ocean) and this was one on the worst abuses of the rules that I have seen.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Woodsy

Joey...

Just an FYI... there is not a NWZ on the Sanders Bay side of the Govenor's Island bridge.... as long as they came off plane within 150' of the bridge they were legal.

Taking off to early on the other side (where there is a loooong NWZ) is an entirely different matter!

Woodsy
Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Unhappy Memorial Day Weekend.

The Capt. Boneheads were everywhere! I can't recall seeing an MP boat during the three busiest days. From Meredith to the Weirs. Lakeport to Alton. Wolfeboro to Blanchard Island. Center Harbor back to port.

I had a feeling this was going to happen. We need to convince the legislature that the marine patrol is very important and should be well funded. If someone should get hurt, the state may be held responsible?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The Capt. Boneheads were everywhere! I can't recall seeing an MP boat during the three busiest days. From Meredith to the Weirs. Lakeport to Alton. Wolfeboro to Blanchard Island. Center Harbor back to port.

I had a feeling this was going to happen. We need to convince the legislature that the marine patrol is very important and should be well funded. If someone should get hurt, the state may be held responsible?
I saw a 2 person patrol over near Camp Tecumseh on Sunday. They were cruising through at headway speed. As we watched them, a Capt. B came within 50' of them plowing away- they were quickly pulled over.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
Ryan

I saw the same thing you all saw above on this first weekend of the summer.

It seems the nice weather brings out all of the Cap'n B's and certainly a few noobs.

So it's noted, here is a short list of what I saw from last Tuesday until Memorial day:
  • No fewer that TEN 150' rule violations on ALL parts of the lake I travelled.

• I can't even count the number of 150' shore violations. We had a boat tubing off the bay all day Sunday whipping around and almost hitting our swimline. Nevermind the waves he was churning. We also had a gentleman testing his beautiful classic wooden boat in the bay making multiple jumps from headway to full throttle about 50 feet from his dock.

• I watched a 32ft cruiser blast through the Governor's/Eagle Island NWZ while passing another whaler going headway speed.

• 2 jetskiiers jumping the wakes of cruisers and a few jumping the Mount wake 50' off the stern. I think the cruiser captains had some words for them.

• Numerous boats pulling off the gas dock to full throttle within 50 feet, passing within feet of other boaters pulling in for fuel and other heading out obeying the rules.

• Multiple boats travelling well above 25MPH at night.

• Multiple boats travelling in excess of 45MPH (estimated).
  • ONE Marine Patrol boat in the 6 days.

I thought about breaking out the video camera, and I still may one weekend.

I'm not sure what changed between last boating season and this season, but all of the lies about the lake being 'slower and safer' it's just simply not true. Not one word of it, sorry.

Last edited by Ryan; 06-01-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added number of MP
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-01-2010)
Old 06-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Happens almost hourly in Wolfeboro Bay, coming into the town docks. There are no wake zones and more no wakes through by the mooring fields, but people still cruise by or do not slow down in time before getting into the town dock area. Everyone is racing the next guy to get in line first. especially on Saturdays and Sundays.....
We have had wake rollers come right over our wall near the town docks. Talk about watching your little paddle boat looking like the Minnow.....
People need to live life...slow down.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default NWZ Governors Isle Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Joey...

Just an FYI... there is not a NWZ on the Sanders Bay side of the Govenor's Island bridge.... as long as they came off plane within 150' of the bridge they were legal.

Taking off to early on the other side (where there is a loooong NWZ) is an entirely different matter!

Woodsy
There is a orange NWZ maker 150' from the bridge on that side and both people did not slow to idle until they were almost under the bridge.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #15
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
There is a orange NWZ maker 150' from the bridge on that side and both people did not slow to idle until they were almost under the bridge.
It's closer to 500 ft from the bridge and it's not a NWZ sign - at least last time I checked. It's a marker buoy. I'll make sure to take a closer look next time I cruise by there. It still does not excuse anybody from throttling up until they've reached 150' from the bridge.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
jrc

The marker on the south side of the GI bridge is a red spar and has nothing to do with no wake. The bridge itself is a no wake area for 150' on either side. The north side of the bridge is a no wake area all the way to the no wake bouys.

That said, I like to anchor south of the bridge, so wait until you are well past my boat before throttling up, the wakes disturb my nap. If you have open exhaust wait even longer.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
sa meredith

Default not "no wake"

This topic came up last year in a thread.
There is no question...it is not a no wake zone. The marker is a navigational bouy (I forget what number). Many, many people assume it is a no wake marker, but it most certainly is not.
However, once the boat comes within 150' of the bridge, or the 1 or 2 boats that sometimes anchor on that little shallow patch to the right of that buoy...well then it would be no wake by rule.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #18
onlywinni

Sunday we were heading out of Paugus Bay at headway speed and got passed by another boat(not a go fast) just before the Weirs Bridge...I had to throw her into neutral and let him go because he was squeezing me into the rocks on the side of the channel. He was on the left side of the channel and I was on the right where I should be in my opinion. No one was coming the other way, but still not appropriate in my opinion.

I kept my cool-kept my mouth shut and just enjoyed the day.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #19
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post

That said, I like to anchor south of the bridge, so wait until you are well past my boat before throttling up, the wakes disturb my nap. If you have open exhaust wait even longer.
Now that makes me chuckle !!

Your a man after my own heart Charlie Brown --or in this case jrc

p.s. sent while travelin on biz from Taipai-- with a chinese k/b no less...... Who says I,m addicted to Winni.Com not true! lol