Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #1
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default "Lock" lugs

I have a new-to-me vehicle that's due for an oil change and tire rotation. Each wheel has a single lock lug (spare tire included). I don't think that I need to have these "special" lugs and expect to replace them with standard lugs.

Question: I have been told that the lock lugs (which need a special tool to remove) are only meant to be removed, and can't be put back on. Even though I don't expect to reuse the lock lugs, this doesn't make any sense to me (that they can't be reinstalled).

Thoughts?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
Paugus Bay Resident

The ones I've used are essentially lug nuts - except instead of the normal hex head - they use a head that requires a special socket for removal / installation. In terms or reusability, no different than a regular lug nut, at least the ones I've used. Never heard of "single use" ones.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paugus Bay Resident For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Same here...I have locking lugs on a couple of my vehicles and trailers. It simply requires the special cut socket to remove or reinstall.

Dan
JEEPONLY (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
AC2717

both are right, they are reusable, but yes a pain to remove some times. they sell kits with different socket heads to match up to the pattern on the lock lug, so if someone really wanted the tires they can get them as with anything else.
JEEPONLY (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Thank you for your replies.
It would only really make sense that they could reused.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
jbolty

As mentioned, those are just regular nuts that take a special socket to tighten or loosen. They will slow down a wheel thief for about 10 seconds and are generally nothing but trouble.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
ApS

Lightbulb Check the Glove Box for the Key...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
I have a new-to-me vehicle that's due for an oil change and tire rotation. Each wheel has a single lock lug (spare tire included). I don't think that I need to have these "special" lugs and expect to replace them with standard lugs. Question: I have been told that the lock lugs (which need a special tool to remove) are only meant to be removed, and can't be put back on. Even though I don't expect to reuse the lock lugs, this doesn't make any sense to me (that they can't be reinstalled).Thoughts?
There are different types.

Of the locking lugs that I have, the five outside ends are engraved with a deep wavy pattern.

To attach or remove, they require a matching pattern "key" which is inserted into the lug wrench. If the key is lost, the lug can still be removed; oftentimes, a pipe wrench will work.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #8
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
As mentioned, those are just regular nuts that take a special socket to tighten or loosen. They will slow down a wheel thief for about 10 seconds and are generally nothing but trouble.
Yeah, I agree with the 10 second rule! Trouble also- suppose I had to change out a tire on the road, and had to filter through ?many different sockets = useless!
Old 02-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
There are different types.

Of the locking lugs that I have, the five outside ends are engraved with a deep wavy pattern.

To attach or remove, they require a matching pattern "key" which is inserted into the lug wrench. If the key is lost, the lug can still be removed; oftentimes, a pipe wrench will work.
Again, thanks. The vehicle sales pitch included a spiel on the advantages of having these locks. It didn't mean anything to me (If I lived in Boston, maybe), but the later mention of not being reusable didn't ring true at all.

So- if the person who told me this (not being reusable lugs) was the same person who would be doing the work, should I reconsider, or discuss this with him (he's long-time local- I know him personally and feel committed).

Don't you just hate this type of situation?!? I do.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:02 PM   #10
ApS

Lightbulb Stop Thief...

'Sounds like the previous owner has misplaced the "key"--if there was a "key" involved.

Check the trunk floor, under the seats, or in the glove box. Let's not make it easy for casual, yet costly theft.

On my boat trailer, I welded two opposing chain links to the inside of one wheel. When I parked the trailer, I'd click a padlock on one link, while attaching it to a short chain welded to the trailer.

The thieves may not notice as they tow it off, but they'll be leaving a trail!
Old 02-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
jbolty

Quote:
Again, thanks. The vehicle sales pitch included a spiel on the advantages of having these locks. It didn't mean anything to me (If I lived in Boston, maybe), but the later mention of not being reusable didn't ring true at all.

So- if the person who told me this (not being reusable lugs) was the same person who would be doing the work, should I reconsider, or discuss this with him (he's long-time local- I know him personally and feel committed).

Don't you just hate this type of situation?!? I do.
if a mechanic, or any other tradesman, was telling me BS I would never go to them again.

A number of years ago I was in some quick lube place getting an oil change and the guy at the counter was giving some woman the hard sell on a fuel system flush and transmission flush. He said "It's right in your manual to get this done" The woman turned around and said "You're a man and probably know more about cars, what do you think?" I said, "go get your manual and have him show you were it says that" The good news is he tossed me out and I did not have to pay for my oil change.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I agree with the 10 second rule! Trouble also- suppose I had to change out a tire on the road, and had to filter through ?many different sockets = useless!
Yes actually worse than useless. Adds a PITA step for a vehicle owner changing a tire in addition to absolutely no theft deterrent. Buy replacement lugs. If buying a new vehicle and they are already installed have them replaced with real lugs as part of the deal.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Yes actually worse than useless. Adds a PITA step for a vehicle owner changing a tire in addition to absolutely no theft deterrent. Buy replacement lugs. If buying a new vehicle and they are already installed have them replaced with real lugs as part of the deal.
If you have recessed lugs in your rims like I do, they are much harder to get off as you can’t latch onto them with a pipe wrench or similar. I mainly bought mine when traveling to Quebec snowmobiling to help deter theft. I think they serve their purpose and are relatively easy to use...

Dan
Wifi-1 (02-21-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #14
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Thank you, all. I expect to get some clarification tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #15
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Miscommunication

My guy's earlier response presumed I didn't have the key (which I do). Without the key, a socket used to remove the lock lug would essentially shred the wavy lock features.
I'll be replacing them with standard acorn lugs.
Thanks for the responses!
Old 02-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #16
ApS

Arrow Wave-Type Locking Lug Nut...

'Just stumbled on one of my eight (maybe more) "locking" lug collection. Pardon Hurricane Irma's rust that obscures the full depth of the "wave" pattern. Although the "wave" appears symmetrical, it is not.

The "wave" pattern in the four provided lugs has a single matching "key"—unique to the set. The key, with its matching wave has to be carefully matched to the lug nut, which then can be put in a wrench to remove the lug nut and tire.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #17
fatlazyless

If your car has steel wheels with wheel covers as opposed to fancy-dancy cast aluminum decorative wheels, it will have normal non-locking lug nuts.

Every NH police car has steel wheels with hub caps. There's a reason why the police in NH do not have cast aluminum decorative wheels with locking lug nuts.

You are what you drive. ........

By the way, if you drive with steel wheels then you will probably lose a wheel cover sooner or later, and www.rockauto.com is good for quality original style wheels covers at reasonable price.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-27-2020 at 08:07 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #18
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
If your car has steel wheels with wheel covers as opposed to fancy-dancy cast aluminum decorative wheels, it will have normal non-locking lug nuts.

By the way, if you drive with steel wheels then you will probably lose a wheel cover sooner or later, and www.rockauto.com is good for quality original style wheels covers at reasonable price.
And with every purchase, you get a free foam noodle (sorry, no choice of color).

Dave
CooperS7777 (02-28-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #19
camp guy

Default Jeep navigation system

Okay, this question is waaaaay off topic, but it is 'automotive' in nature. Does anyone know how to "delete" an address from the Navigation system of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee? (other than complete back-spacing erasing)
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #20
Poor Richard

Try hold the Volume and Browse/Enter buttons for 10 seconds. Doing that is supposed to reset the system.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote