Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts
Default The Real Timeline

It was not until Feb. 26 that the first case of suspected local transmission in the United States was announced by the CDC.

President Trump that day named Vice President Pence to lead the Coronavirus Task Force. The next day, Feb. 27, Pence named Dr. Deborah Birx to serve as the White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator.

This article lays out the chronology:

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/31...ng-the-danger/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
dva (04-02-2020), Flylady (04-01-2020), Hillcountry (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
It was not until Feb. 26 that the first case of suspected local transmission in the United States was announced by the CDC.

President Trump that day named Vice President Pence to lead the Coronavirus Task Force. The next day, Feb. 27, Pence named Dr. Deborah Birx to serve as the White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator.

Thank you.

But there are many forums out there that love to ping pong political ideas, arguments, conspiracy theories, love our dear leaders (________________) fill in the blank.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Thank you.

But there are many forums out there that love to ping pong political ideas, arguments, conspiracy theories, love our dear leaders (________________) fill in the blank.
You mean like "the democrats spread the virus because impeachment wasn't successful in removing the president".
I believe that story was spread by Fox news, the real news network.
McConnell is now saying the impeachment distracted their attention away from the health crisis which was first first brought to their attention on Jan 15th.
Both sides use the blame game. Sad but true.

Last edited by Biggd; 04-01-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Merrymeeting

Clearly a credible, non-biased news source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Federalist_(website)
Old 04-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
FlyingScot

Quote:

C'mon, man. Even if your dates are accurate, the time for action was not after the first case of suspected transmission. First, we should have made sure we were ready for a crisis. I trust you've seen the news reports on how strategic stockpiles of PPEs were depleted, a key White House office was disbanded, and the Obama-era playbook was ignored. Then we should have swung into high gear not at the first case, but as soon as we should have expected the first case to be coming. Senator Burr knew the cases were coming weeks ahead of Feb 27, and he acted. (Google Burr stock sales)

A week or two ago Cal (colorfully) asked a Democrat if he'd step up and acknowledge he was wrong as more numbers came in and showed the virus to be no big deal. With the President now talking about 240K deaths, maybe you should be stepping up?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
Flylady

Default Time LIne

Here is what I know : A relative of mine with business in China, flew back in mid January to Chicago to catch a connecting flight home to VT. He became ill a few days after. They were very aware of this health issues in China. Dr. contacted CDC. Test was flown up from CDC. A few days later CDC contacted Dr. the test did not work. Sending another. In the mean time a CDC rep contacted the patient daily for health check and other data requested. They were asked not to discuss it outside of the immediate contact group.

Looking at the flights from China to the U.S. daily during the early days and through January it is very easy to figure out the number of passengers that may have arrived unknowingly carrying covid-19. And so community spread began and quietly continued until March when the alarms were sounded.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flylady For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
C'mon, man. Even if your dates are accurate, the time for action was not after the first case of suspected transmission. First, we should have made sure we were ready for a crisis. I trust you've seen the news reports on how strategic stockpiles of PPEs were depleted, a key White House office was disbanded, and the Obama-era playbook was ignored. Then we should have swung into high gear not at the first case, but as soon as we should have expected the first case to be coming. Senator Burr knew the cases were coming weeks ahead of Feb 27, and he acted. (Google Burr stock sales)

A week or two ago Cal (colorfully) asked a Democrat if he'd step up and acknowledge he was wrong as more numbers came in and showed the virus to be no big deal. With the President now talking about 240K deaths, maybe you should be stepping up?
News sources confirm that the current shortage of N95 respirator masks goes back to 2009 after the H1N1 swine flu pandemic. In a report citing the Los Angeles Times and Bloomberg News, Breitbart News is reporting that the Obama administration was advised to replenish the stockpile of masks, however ignored requests to do so.

After what happened in 2009, a federally backed task force recommended to the Obama administration that the nation’s supply be replenished with the 100 million masks used during the H1N1 outbreak. Charles Johnson, president of the International Safety Equipment Association said that the advice was ignored.

The reason we don’t have the respirator masks goes back to the Obama/Biden administration when they were advised to replenish the stockpile that had been used during the H1N1 swine flu pandemic. But it never happened, they never did it, according to the Washington Examiner.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
dva (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #8
Biggd

Thumbs up

I've actually been more impressed with President Trump over the past week than ever before. He is finally admitting that he's not the smartest person in the room and that he doesn't know more than anyone about everything.
He's deferring to the medical experts and acting on their recommendations instead of his gut feelings.
He's stopped labeling it as a hoax and fake news and acting like a leader.
I know it won't last forever but it's good to see him owning this and taking it seriously.

Last edited by Biggd; 04-01-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #9
TheProfessor

"WASHINGTON (AP) — Public health and national security experts shake their heads when President Donald Trump says the coronavirus “came out of nowhere” and “blindsided the world.”

They’ve been warning about the next pandemic for years and criticized the Trump administration’s decision in 2018 to dismantle a National Security Council directorate at the White House charged with preparing for when, not if, another pandemic would hit the nation. "

LINK
Old 04-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #10
FlyingScot

Quote:
News sources confirm that the current shortage of N95 respirator masks goes back to 2009 after the H1N1 swine flu pandemic. In a report citing the Los Angeles Times and Bloomberg News, Breitbart News is reporting that the Obama administration was advised to replenish the stockpile of masks, however ignored requests to do so.

After what happened in 2009, a federally backed task force recommended to the Obama administration that the nation’s supply be replenished with the 100 million masks used during the H1N1 outbreak. Charles Johnson, president of the International Safety Equipment Association said that the advice was ignored.

The reason we don’t have the respirator masks goes back to the Obama/Biden administration when they were advised to replenish the stockpile that had been used during the H1N1 swine flu pandemic. But it never happened, they never did it, according to the Washington Examiner.
You seem to have missed the major point. Trump and many on this forum were late to the party. I think you should own up to that rather than trying to spin things.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:37 PM   #11
Biggd

Quote:
You seem to have missed the major point. Trump and many on this forum were late to the party. I think you should own up to that rather than trying to spin things.
Not only that but Trump's been in office for over three years. He's had plenty of time to replenish the stock pile but he's been more concerned with undoing everything that the last administration did.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #12
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Not only that but Trump's been in office for over three years. He's had plenty of time to replenish the stock pile but he's been more concerned with undoing everything that the last administration did.
That is an excellent point and thank you for pointing out that he was elected to undo many things from Obama's scandal ridden administration.

Just a few items that went bad that Obama fans tend to ignore:
1.) IRS Targeting Scandal
2.) VA Waiting List
3.) GSA Spending Spree
4.) Attack on the Benghazi Compound
5.) Clinton Emails
6.) Fast and Furious Gun Walking
7.) Solyndra Subsidies
8.) DOJ and the New Black Panther Party
9.) A Job for Sestak

Prior to the current virus situation, in every area: Defense, security, economy, employment, border security, energy independence, Etc. we were better off. Manufacturing and jobs that were lost under Obama were coming back and will continue to do so. Business regulations that were strangling growth have been reduced to enable growth and prosperity. Despite the liberal talking points the middle class got the bulk of the benefit of the tax cuts.

We will get through this and continue to improve for the next 4 1/2 years under Trump.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-02-2020), camp guy (04-02-2020), Hillcountry (04-01-2020), Major (04-01-2020), Wifi-1 (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #13
lakeporter65

Quote:
That is an excellent point and thank you for pointing out that he was elected to undo many things from Obama's scandal ridden administration.

2.) VA Waiting List
3.) GSA Spending Spree
5.) Clinton Emails
7.) Solyndra Subsidies
9.) A Job for Sestak

Prior to the current virus situation, in every area: Defense, security, economy, employment, border security, energy independence, Etc. we were better off. Manufacturing and jobs that were lost under Obama were coming back and will continue to do so. Business regulations that were strangling growth have been reduced to enable growth and prosperity. Despite the liberal talking points the middle class got the bulk of the benefit of the tax cuts.

We will get through this and continue to improve for the next 4 1/2 years under Trump.

All Great points. However there is so much HATRED in the forum which reflects out into the Lakes Region, some people just shake their heads and wonder how the people that come up live their lives with so much HATE in them. Say what you will, but this is True.
The Following User Says Thank You to lakeporter65 For This Useful Post:
Not to Worry (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #14
FlyingScot

Quote:

2.) VA Waiting List
3.) GSA Spending Spree
5.) Clinton Emails
7.) Solyndra Subsidies
9.) A Job for Sestak

Now you are hijacking the topic of your own thread--you started with a defense of Trump's handling of COVID-19. I opined that you were wrong, and backed it up with specifics. Then you switch to attacking a different president?

It's sad that even as the data piles up you cant see that Trump was wrong on this for a couple of critical months
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #15
sunfishman

Default Possible spread by mosquito

Not sure where to post this and not trying to create any alarm. Simple question to medical personnel that I have not yet seen asked. With the warmer weather coming, is it possible for this virus to be spread via insect bite, namely may flies or mosquitos?
Old 04-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #16
Susie Cougar

I can’t tell you for sure. But here in Florida we have plenty of mosquitoes. I have not heard anybody consider that there is a link.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #17
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeporter65 View Post
All Great points. However there is so much HATRED in the forum which reflects out into the Lakes Region, some people just shake their heads and wonder how the people that come up live their lives with so much HATE in them. Say what you will, but this is True.
The hate comes from one side and one side only. I may have completely disagree with Obama, but during his time in office I reluctantly accepted that he was our president.

I work in Boston ( formerly Cambridge), and I have to keep my admiration of Trump a secret. How sad is that! Otherwise I would trigger my employees.

I had a situation with my niece that illustrates what we are facing. My sister-in-law and my brother-in-law are really liberal and have taught my niece to hate Trump. My niece had a presidential citation for doing well at school. It was signed by Trump. I noticed it and said she must be very proud. She wasn’t. It was signed by Trump.

I reminded her that I retired from the U.S. Army, and during a retirement ceremony I received a letter from Obama congratulating me on my retirement. I told her that I proudly hung that letter in my office, even though it came from Obama whom I disagreed with.

In my opinion it’s a one way street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (04-02-2020), dippasan (04-02-2020), dva (04-02-2020), gravy boat (04-02-2020), Hillcountry (04-01-2020), lakeporter65 (04-01-2020), olde nh (04-03-2020), TiltonBB (04-01-2020), Wifi-1 (04-01-2020), WinnisquamZ (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #18
lakeporter65

Quote:
Now you are hijacking the topic of your own thread--you started with a defense of Trump's handling of COVID-19. I opined that you were wrong, and backed it up with specifics. Then you switch to attacking a different president?

It's sad that even as the data piles up you cant see that Trump was wrong on this for a couple of critical months
In YOUR opinion, Has President Donald J. Trump been right, correct on ANYTHING? You HATE him so much you can't see the Forrest through the trees. This is just a honest YES or NO question. It's obvious to everyone you hate him. Can you see past your hatred for a minute and tell us?

I think you should own up to that rather than trying to spin things.
The Following User Says Thank You to lakeporter65 For This Useful Post:
dva (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #19
Bigstan

Quote:
In YOUR opinion, Has President Donald J. Trump been right, correct on ANYTHING? You HATE him so much you can't see the Forrest through the trees. This is just a honest YES or NO question. It's obvious to everyone you hate him. Can you see past your hatred for a minute and tell us?

I might be starting to like this guy
Old 04-01-2020, 10:21 PM   #20
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
The hate comes from one side and one side only.

Ironic that you post this in response to lakeporter--a person on the right that those on both sides of our debate have asked to stop posting hate filled comments.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-02-2020), JEEPONLY (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 01:40 AM   #21
lakeporter65

Quote:
Ironic that you post this in response to lakeporter--a person on the right that those on both sides of our debate have asked to stop posting hate filled comments.
YET, it appears you cannot say YES or NO. Surprises me you can't find ONE Thing you like about what he has done.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:08 AM   #22
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstan View Post
I might be starting to like this guy
What bounces off him sticks onto you!

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2020, 07:05 AM   #23
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
The hate comes from one side and one side only. I may have completely disagree with Obama, but during his time in office I reluctantly accepted that he was our president.

I work in Boston ( formerly Cambridge), and I have to keep my admiration of Trump a secret. How sad is that! Otherwise I would trigger my employees.

I had a situation with my niece that illustrates what we are facing. My sister-in-law and my brother-in-law are really liberal and have taught my niece to hate Trump. My niece had a presidential citation for doing well at school. It was signed by Trump. I noticed it and said she must be very proud. She wasn’t. It was signed by Trump.

I reminded her that I retired from the U.S. Army, and during a retirement ceremony I received a letter from Obama congratulating me on my retirement. I told her that I proudly hung that letter in my office, even though it came from Obama whom I disagreed with.

“Hate” to disagree with you Major but this hate thing being talked about is a two way street. You may not feel it because your group of friends are probably as conservative as you. Liberals problem would tell you the hate is coming from the other side. As usual, it all depends on your point of view.

Now, just to stir the pot, has your point of view that this is all overblown changes at all now that US deaths more than tripled in the last week?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-02-2020), Leoskeys (04-03-2020), Not to Worry (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #24
ApS

Exclamation Posted at Some Risk of 中國-phobia...

Quote:

The effectiveness of masks has been demonstrated in Japan.

The masks needed to reduce the US virus would be ALL sourced from China.

This foreign out-sourcing has to stop, as the integrity of Chinese masks has become an issue of national security.

A video has surfaced that shows a mask-manufacturing worker cleaning his shoe with a mask.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #25
The Real BigGuy

Quote:

Let me see:
He takes credit for the economic growth even though the improvement started in the last 3 years of Obama’s presidency and has grown at virtually the same rate as during the Obama years. So one can infer that his presidency has had no effect on the economy except for his actions during the recent crisis (which he refuses to admit he has any responsibility for) which have hurt;

The same as above for unemployment and most of the other great improvements he takes credit for;

He has gutted environmental regulations that ensured clean water and clean air. Heck, we don’t need those things;

He pushed thru a tax cut that was supposed to bring new industrial investment but all it did was allow large companies to buy back stock, let the rich get richer and put the country so far in debt we will never be able to work our way out;

He pushed aside our historic allies, buddied up with the leader of our largest enemies, and now the world isn’t sure it can count on the US for anything;

He has made the US people the laughing stock of the world (as in, “how could they elect someone like him.);

He lied about building a wall that Mexico was going to pay for and now $$ that could be better spent on other things are going toward a monument to him that, in the long run will have no effect on illegal immigration;

He has lied to or misled the American people close to 20,000 times over the last 3 years;

He appointed Cabinet members who are more concerned with protecting him then in doing good for the American people;

He has allowed his family and himself to be enriched by using his position as President to generate financial benefit for his companies. (Wittiness the most recent fact that it wasn’t Google developing his Coronavirus website, it was Jared Kushner;

He is generally a despicable human being that posses no redeeming qualities.

So, I guess the short answer is no!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-02-2020), catdon (04-02-2020), JPC (04-03-2020), thinkxingu (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #26
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
“Hate” to disagree with you Major but this hate thing being talked about is a two way street. You may not feel it because your group of friends are probably as conservative as you. Liberals problem would tell you the hate is coming from the other side. As usual, it all depends on your point of view.

Now, just to stir the pot, has your point of view that this is all overblown changes at all now that US deaths more than tripled in the last week?

He's never going to change his tune even if this kills a million US citizens. He just sees them as collateral damage to save the economy.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #27
Biggd

Quote:

Dr Fauci is getting so much hate mail and death threats that they have to give him his own security team. You even made a derogatory comment about him because he has the Presidents ear now.
So don't give us that "the hate is coming from one side" BS!
You're just experiencing it because you're working in a liberal state. If you don't like it, why don't you move your business to NH.
You're fine with taking that liberal money.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #28
lakeporter65

Quote:
Let me see:
He takes credit for the economic growth even though the improvement started in the last 3 years of Obama’s presidency and has grown at virtually the same rate as during the Obama years. So one can infer that his presidency has had no effect on the economy except for his actions during the recent crisis (which he refuses to admit he has any responsibility for) which have hurt;

The same as above for unemployment and most of the other great improvements he takes credit for;

He has gutted environmental regulations that ensured clean water and clean air. Heck, we don’t need those things;

He pushed thru a tax cut that was supposed to bring new industrial investment but all it did was allow large companies to buy back stock, let the rich get richer and put the country so far in debt we will never be able to work our way out;

He pushed aside our historic allies, buddied up with the leader of our largest enemies, and now the world isn’t sure it can count on the US for anything;

He has made the US people the laughing stock of the world (as in, “how could they elect someone like him.);

He lied about building a wall that Mexico was going to pay for and now $$ that could be better spent on other things are going toward a monument to him that, in the long run will have no effect on illegal immigration;

He has lied to or misled the American people close to 20,000 times over the last 3 years;

He appointed Cabinet members who are more concerned with protecting him then in doing good for the American people;

He has allowed his family and himself to be enriched by using his position as President to generate financial benefit for his companies. (Wittiness the most recent fact that it wasn’t Google developing his Coronavirus website, it was Jared Kushner;

He is generally a despicable human being that posses no redeeming qualities.

So, I guess the short answer is no!

That question was for FlyingScot, seems he is ashamed to answer it. It was a Yes or NO to FLYINGSCOT. I get the understanding he doesn't want to talk about it anymore. Since he would have to directly answer a question.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #29
lakeporter65

Quote:

Old 04-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #30
fatlazyless

Default ....... honestly

The CDC issues its first warning on Jan 8.

Trump held campaign rallies on Jan 9, Jan 14, Jan 28, Jan 30, Feb 10, Feb 19, Feb 20, Feb 21 & Feb 28.

He golfed on Jan 18, Jan 19, Feb 15, Mar 7 & Mar 8.

The first time he admitted the coronavirus might be a problem was on Mar 13.
catdon (04-02-2020), Flylady (04-02-2020), Leoskeys (04-03-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 10:45 AM   #31
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The CDC issues its first warning on Jan 8.

Trump held campaign rallies on Jan 9, Jan 14, Jan 28, Jan 30, Feb 10, Feb 19, Feb 20, Feb 21 & Feb 28.

He golfed on Jan 18, Jan 19, Feb 15, Mar 7 & Mar 8.

So did the democrats fortunately their "rallies" attracted 10 people or less so I guess that's OK
Old 04-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #32
FlyingScot

Quote:

Well, it's true I was ignoring you. But that was about you, personally, as I've written before. I do not like to respond to hate. But now that you've called me a third time--

I have never said that I hate the President, either publicly or privately. I don't think of myself as hating anyone (except maybe Jeter, Posada, Boone...)

I have agreed with a number of things that Trump has said or done, and it's documented. Most recently on this forum--a week or two ago I chided Major and/or Joey that they were behind the times on the President's latest pronouncements and actions on COVID-19, and I wrote that the President's latest actions were correct. Even more recently, he was correct again when he insisted to Rick DeSantis just yesterday that statewide curbs be imposed in Florida.

Back to the point of the thread--it's too bad that even after the data roll in, no one on the Republican side of this debate has stepped up to let us know that they were wrong about this when they called it a hoax, insignificant, the flu, H1N1, etc...
Old 04-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #33
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

FAKE NEWS!

On Jan. 24, tests confirmed two people (Chicago woman and Washington state man) had the virus. Learning of the two early cases, public health workers scrambled to reach hundreds of people who may have been exposed to them on flights and on the ground, knowing they wouldn’t be able to find them all with certainty.

Moving to counter the spreading coronavirus outbreak, the Trump administration said January 31 that it would bar entry by most foreign nationals who had recently visited China and put some American travelers under a quarantine as it declared a rare public health emergency.

With infections in Wuhan multiplying at an alarming rate, the White House announced on Jan. 31 that non-residents who had recently been to mainland China would no longer be allowed entry.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Wifi-1 (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #34
lakeporter65

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, it's true I was ignoring you. But that was about you, personally, as I've written before. I do not like to respond to hate. But now that you've called me a third time--

I have never said that I hate the President, either publicly or privately. I don't think of myself as hating anyone (except maybe Jeter, Posada, Boone...)

I have agreed with a number of things that Trump has said or done, and it's documented. Most recently on this forum--a week or two ago I chided Major and/or Joey that they were behind the times on the President's latest pronouncements and actions on COVID-19, and I wrote that the President's latest actions were correct. Even more recently, he was correct again when he insisted to Rick DeSantis just yesterday that statewide curbs be imposed in Florida.

Back to the point of the thread--it's too bad that even after the data roll in, no one on the Republican side of this debate has stepped up to let us know that they were wrong about this when they called it a hoax, insignificant, the flu, H1N1, etc...

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. I still can't wrap my head around you needing to hear that the right was wrong. I just agreed with you about that. But continually asking that question I don't see how it's going to have a positive effect on anything whatsoever. It will not accomplish anything so why don't we all move forward and try to get past this. Nice talking with you I'm done with this conversation I hope you have a wonderful life.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:21 AM   #35
FlyingScot

Quote:
Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. I still can't wrap my head around you needing to hear that the right was wrong. I just agreed with you about that. But continually asking that question I don't see how it's going to have a positive effect on anything whatsoever. It will not accomplish anything so why don't we all move forward and try to get past this. Nice talking with you I'm done with this conversation I hope you have a wonderful life.
It's important because we need to learn from our mistakes. As a businessperson, I have spent countless hours (years? ) trying to improve future performance by figuring out what my partners and I erred on before. If the Spanish Flu is any indication, this bastard might be coming back for us again, and it would be best if we had agreement on what should have happened this time.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #36
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Clearly a credible, non-biased news source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Federalist_(website)
"RIGHT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy"

LINK

If some website agrees with ones perceptions - then it must be correct. Right?

Instead of blindly agreeing with some source, why not do a Google search and read up on that website?

So that ones views are not tainted by bias.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #37
Major

Quote:

No. In fact, I'm more resolute than ever. The financial fall out concerns me far more than the health scare. The raw numbers are still far below H1N1.

A financial collapse could cause world events that to most are unthinkable. Time to start listening to the economists.

Have to go to work tomorrow to sign our firm's PPP loan. Free money, free money! (Hopefully!)
Old 04-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #38
Woodsy

Here is the timeline of the coronavirus outbreak!

CDC begins screening travelers 17-JAN

Patient Zero US (test confirmed) was 21-JAN

Public Health Emergency/China Travel Ban 27-JAN (Travel ban effective 2-FEB)

Coronavirus Task Force was established 29-JAN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...o_January_2020

Woodsy
Flylady (04-03-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #39
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
"RIGHT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy"

LINK

If some website agrees with ones perceptions - then it must be correct. Right?

Instead of blindly agreeing with some source, why not do a Google search and read up on that website?

So that ones views are not tainted by bias.
Agree with you and there are a few sites I use regularly. It is important to recognize how accurate, or not, some of these media evaluating sites are. One I just looked at states the basis of its conclusions and some conclusions are only by user response. Not particularly helpful, as you point out, “birds of a feather....l

Still one should try.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 04-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #40
4 for Boating

Default Historical Virus Numbers

Here's a historical snapshot of the virus's of the past and a few still not 100% eradicated. The Covid-19 numbers are a few days old. The aspect of social distancing has an material impact but if it is slowing down the rate/spike for hospitals only to keep up and not the overall that will be infected - only time will tell.

Hope this thing clears up soon and we can go back to our normal lives as we are logging a lot of hours on these boards...
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #41
StevenGilford

Quote:
Time to start listening to the economists.
Which economists?
Old 04-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #42
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
Which economists?
Larry Kudlow for starters. I'd like to hear what he thinks.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #43
StevenGilford

Quote:
Larry Kudlow for starters. I'd like to hear what he thinks.
1. Larry Kudlow is not an economist

2. We haven't heard from him in over a week. Back then he was telling us the coronavirus was contained and the economy will bounce back in weeks when we stop social distancing, so he's a little out of sync with the President right now. Have you seen anything more recent than this?
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenGilford For This Useful Post:
Flylady (04-03-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #44
StevenGilford

Here are 2 actual economists:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can you put a price on COVID-19 options? Experts weigh lives versus economics
His initial modeling efforts showed that even a yearlong lockdown makes economic sense, to allow time for a vaccine to be developed. The pause would shrink the economy by approximately 22%—a cost of $4.2 trillion. By comparison, the model shows that without containment measures, the economy would contract by about 7% over that year—but as many as 500,000 additional lives would be lost, which translates into a loss of roughly $6.1 trillion.

Andrew Atkeson, an economist at the University of California, Los Angeles, agrees that the economics point strongly toward strict measures. If the epidemic is allowed to grow unhindered, he predicts the economy will grind to a halt anyway as people see an explosion of infections and stop going out. “Either you shut off the economy now and have people staying at home, or you let this thing rip and you have people staying at home scared,” he says.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...price-covid-19
Old 04-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #45
Merrymeeting

Quote:
No. In fact, I'm more resolute than ever. The financial fall out concerns me far more than the health scare. The raw numbers are still far below H1N1.
You have stated many times in this thread that we should focus on facts, and that H1N1 was just as bad if not worse.

I agree. Let's start with some hard facts.
  • There are lots of models that estimate the H1N1 numbers were many times higher than the confirmed deaths. I'm guessing you could say the same for Covid-19 when all is said and done, using the similar estimates and models. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/swine-...ry?id=16646281
  • Most references put the number of confirmed H1N1 deaths at ~18,500
  • The number of confirmed Covid-19 fatal cases is now over 51,000, and we're only beginning.

So, if we just stick with the actual, confirmed cases, do you still think the comparisons are valid?
Old 04-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #46
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
You have stated many times in this thread that we should focus on facts, and that H1N1 was just as bad if not worse.

I agree. Let's start with some hard facts.
  • There are lots of models that estimate the H1N1 numbers were many times higher than the confirmed deaths. I'm guessing you could say the same for Covid-19 when all is said and done, using the similar estimates and models. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/swine-...ry?id=16646281
  • Most references put the number of confirmed H1N1 deaths at ~18,500
  • The number of confirmed Covid-19 fatal cases is now over 51,000, and we're only beginning.

So, if we just stick with the actual, confirmed cases, do you still think the comparisons are valid?
Your facts are wrong. The number of deaths worldwide for H1N1 is 151,700 to 575,400. The number infected is 700,000,000 to 1,400,000,000. Get your facts straight! To date, the raw numbers of the Chinese coronavirus do not come close to H1N1.

Is anyone worried about 10,000,000 filing for unemployment in two short weeks? This amount is unprecedented. And, unfortunately, it's the tip of the iceberg.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #47
gwhite13

Default poor Larry

last we heard from Larry was "buy the dip". didn't see the tidal wave coming.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #48
StevenGilford

Quote:
Your facts are wrong. The number of deaths worldwide for H1N1 is 151,700 to 575,400. The number infected is 700,000,000 to 1,400,000,000. Get your facts straight! To date, the raw numbers of the Chinese coronavirus do not come close to H1N1.

Is anyone worried about 10,000,000 filing for unemployment in two short weeks? This amount is unprecedented. And, unfortunately, it's the tip of the iceberg.
It’s a worry, yes, but what is the alternative? We ignore the virus and continue with out merry little lives? Even when the actual economists that I posted about say that will have an even larger economic impact?

I’ll ask again, can you cite a real economist that supports your view?
Old 04-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #49
Not to Worry

Default Obama versus Trump

Quote:
So I very much disliked Obama and no I was not afraid to share that with my liberal friends etc. I also dislike Trump and no I am not afraid to share that with my "conservative" friends.

Trump is not a Republican. He is a small, petty, narcissistic and ill informed idiot. Who appeals to the haters. That is not the America that I know or should I say knew?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-02-2020), gillygirl (04-02-2020), JPC (04-03-2020), Merrymeeting (04-02-2020), Mr. V (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 05:16 PM   #50
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not to Worry View Post
S He is a small, petty, narcissistic and ill informed idiot.
I try hard not to get sucked in to too many discussions that turn political, but I have to say I love your simple and accurate description! I will add (which I think I said in a different post a while back) he has shown himself to be a successful entertainer and self-promoter. Some would say a highly successful businessman, which I don't agree with. I wonder what my net worth would be now if I started by inheriting a family business worth somewhere between $400-$500 million - and was smart (or unscrupulous) enough to bend the tax laws to minimize any inheritance tax? Don't even bother bringing up the whole "I started with a small loan of $1,000,000" nonsense he has said in the past.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #51
Merrymeeting

Quote:

I would ask you to re-read what I posted. We agree on the facts (without exclamation point). The numbers you cite are documented in many studies done, most years after the H1N1 epidemic had run it's course (see just one that I referenced). These studies also point out that the models and assumptions they use can most likely be applied to similar virus strains. So, to try to compare apples to apples, my facts stay strickly to actual, documented deaths, as certified by WHO, CDC, and others. (In your posts, it would help if you would occasionally reference the sources of your data).

I've actually been informed by many of the points in your posts, and they have given me pause to think. Am I worried about the economic side of this? Absolutely! My future retirement and health and well-being of my offspring depend on it. I'm also terrified about the future impact of the debt that we already had, magnified by the current actions. It may surprise you to hear that several of those offspring share many of your views.

I'll continue to try to see all sides of the arguments, including within family, and continue hope for the best for all of us.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #52
gillygirl

Quote:

A financial collapse could cause world events that to most are unthinkable. Time to start listening to the economists.

Have to go to work tomorrow to sign our firm's PPP loan. Free money, free money! (Hopefully!)
People can recover from economic hardship. No one recovers from dead.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 04-02-2020, 10:31 PM   #53
coolyourjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
So did the democrats fortunately their "rallies" attracted 10 people or less so I guess that's OK
That’s just absurd. The democrats are not in the White House and are not in charge of the response. If the dems were in the White House and they fiddled while Rome burned, they would be equally responsible.

The Following User Says Thank You to coolyourjets For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (04-03-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 03:26 AM   #54
ApS

Exclamation Political Correctness Will Kill Us...!

Quote:
Here is the timeline of the coronavirus outbreak!

CDC begins screening travelers 17-JAN

Patient Zero US (test confirmed) was 21-JAN

Public Health Emergency/China Travel Ban 27-JAN (Travel ban effective 2-FEB)

Coronavirus Task Force was established 29-JAN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...o_January_2020

Woodsy
Air Canada tapers-off flights--New York City, China, and Fort Lauderdale 31-MAR

Canada opens sales to Lysol with packaging written only in English: 31-MAR

https://globalnews-ca.cdn.ampproject...th-products%2F

"Hug a Chinaman" in Italy:

https://youtu.be/St20jioDzY0

Last edited by ApS; 04-03-2020 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Labeling in English un-banned
Old 04-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #55
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyourjets View Post
That’s just absurd. The democrats are not in the White House and are not in charge of the response. If the dems were in the White House and they fiddled while Rome burned, they would be equally responsible.

I'm sorry I missed where impeachment proceedings were put on hold so the country could focus on preparing the country for an impending pandemic.

In fact - wasn't it Pelosi who shamelessly delayed the movement of the "articles" to the senate while this horrible situation was unfolding, and wasn't it the democrats that, if they had their way, would have stretched this on and on and on with more investigations, more witnesses (to nothing I might add) and kept everyone distracted?

Thanks for the selective outrage.

Your visceral hatred for the President is obvious - and you expect perfection from him and even that if it were possible it still isn't good enough.

Meanwhile - Biden, who likely will be the Democratic nominee sits there and is more worried about Iran than the USA. Telling isn't it?
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-03-2020)