Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
Merrymeeting

Default Moveable webcams

This morning I was viewing the Wolfeboro Yacht Club clubcam and was surprised to see it moving, providing a nice panaoramic view of Wolfeboro Bay (and the ice starting to crack all over. Yay!!)

I hadn't realized this camera could move, and assume only members have access to the controls as there are none obvious on the webpage.

I then viewed the Alton Bay Cam and while I was controlling it to view the east end of the Bay, it appeared that someone else was trying to view the west side, and our moves were countering each other.

I've often wondered how these remote contolled sites prioritize who controls the movement, since at any point in time, many could be trying to do so.

Anyone know the behind the scenes methods on how these work?
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post

Anyone know the behind the scenes methods on how these work?

For the basic webcams that you're talking about, it's usually FIFO... First in, first out. Some cams are session-aware and only one person can control it at a time, but most just try to fulfill every control request that comes in, even if those requests are "battling" each other.
brk-lnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
Phantom

Isn't there also a "time-out" whereby you are allowed only so much time per "session" ?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
KBoater

Smile

A sure sign of spring is the Web Master at WCYC starting the pan again. It was turned off for the winter. There are no controls because last year too many folks tried to control it at once. It now pans to cover all the parts of the club that the members are interested in.
(Their dock space/ mooring, the beach, the ramp launch area, who is gathering on the dock, wave to out of town friend, etc)
Wolfeboro Bay is also a good background for these plus it gives boat traffic and wave conditions in the bay.

Bring on summer.