Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
GrandmaBig6

Thumbs up Dewey's Ice Cream Parlor & Cafe

My mom and aunt asked me to write into the Forum for them as neither of them have access to a computer.

They told me the ice cream at Dewey's was fantastic - and they should know as they are both 80 yrs old. (Unfortunately they told me about this find after I left for home from vacation.)

Mom said she had a maple walnut ice cream and it was filled with nuts and the ice cream was very creamy. My aunt had the chocolate ice cream sundae and she said there were chucks of chocolate in that and they thoroughly enjoyed it. If they weren't leaving to come back to NY the next day I'm sure they would have gone again.

Not sure when they will close for the season, but the owner tell them they would be open for some time in October

Here is their website: http://www.deweysicecreamandcafe.com

The are located in Center Harbor.

Check it out!
Mary
GrandmaBig6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
Redsoxlover

Default Dewey's Ice Cream

I have tried Dewey's several times since it's debut. the ice cream is good, place is clean and owner very nice. I recommend the Peppermint Patty(?) It is too die for
Redsoxlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
GrandmaBig6

Default Dewey's

We will start our annual NH vacation next week and we will make sure to stop at Dewey's a couple of times.

Anyone else been? What do you think?

Let us know.

Mary
Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default 100s of times

I must have passed this place and did not know it existed- thanks for posting!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (08-11-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Winnipesaukee Divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaBig6 View Post
They told me the ice cream at Dewey's was fantastic - and they should know as they are both 80 yrs old.
How does being 80 yrs old make someone an expert on ice cream? My father in law is 87, plays tennis 4 -5 times a week and the rest of the time sits in the living room listing to MSNBC news, watching the ticker on the bottom of the screen while doing crossword puzzles or that other mind numbing game "Sudoku". If I asked him what he had for breakfast, he couldn't tell me.

For me; if I've ever been to a place I can take right back to it and tell you everything I saw there and who I spoke with. But, for whoever has the best ice cream? I couldn't even tell you who had the worse (is there such a thing?) or when I last had some... To me it's just ice cream...

So, qualify that statement and tell what make someone and "Ice Cream” expert.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
GrandmaBig6

Default Ice Cream

Not any ice cream experts here.

Just telling you these ladies have been eating ice cream for years (that's why the 80 yr old comment) and they thought Dewey's ice cream tasted fantastic.

When I get from vacation I'll post my first hand experience, otherwise for now I'll just have to take their word for it.

Enjoy the summer. Will be in NH in 9 days.

Mary
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
tummyman

Thumbs up

Dewey's is AWESOME. Just came back from taking my grandchildren and parents. Servings are very generous, prices very reasonable, and the NH State meals tax (9%) is already factored into the prices. Nice touch. You all need to be regulars at Dewey's...the best value around for Ice Cream...and I am NOT RELATED IN ANY WAY !!!!! It is in Center Harbor across from Yikes and the Library.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Squamie

Default Very Good IC

Wow ... this is my first post. I have been a reader of the forum for awhile and we are in NH most weekends (Center Harbor).

Dewey's is a regular stop for us. We talked with the owner one day and I believe they may try to stay open year-round, which would be nice in the off-season. Their ice cream is from Richardson's Farm in Middleton Mass which is excellent ice cream. The owner said he had received the flavor we were getting just 14 days after it was made!

I have not yet tried their sandwiches, but they look good too.
Squamie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Squamie For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (09-12-2010)
Old 08-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamie View Post
Wow ... this is my first post. ....
Welcome to the Winnipesaukee Forum Squamie.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
GrandmaBig6

Thumbs up Dewey's in Center Harbor

Okay we are back from our 2 week vacation in NH. What a fantastic time we had!

We went to Dewey's 5 times during vacation and we were not disappointed once. My husband had the Frappe twice and 3 dishes of ice cream and he loved it. I had 5 dishes of maple walnut, my all time favorite, and they were all excellent. Filled with lots of walnuts, plenty of jimmies and topped off with just the right amount of hot fudge.

They were opening at 11:00a and closing at 9:00p although we made a last minute decision to have ice cream one night and got there just before closing and stayed until after 9:00 and were not rushed out.

Had a very nice talk with the owner too.

Anyway, give it a try!

Mary
Old 09-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
GTO

Default very good

I can't believe this place is right around the corner from me and I just tried it for the 1st time a couple of weekends ago (and this weekend too). Very good ice cream, huge portions, and not a bad price....and even better, a short walk from the CTR Harbor docks, so you can go by boat.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Island Girl

Default We Love Dewey's

We stumbled upon Dewey's as they were opening last year. I think is it the best ice cream in the Lakes Region.

I score ice cream on three counts: flavor, size and price. They score a 10 on all three.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
ghfromaltonbay

Default Richardson's Ice Cream

Johnson's in New Durham also serves Richardson's ice cream and their portions are generous as well. For those who are closer to the southern end of the lake, this place is an alternative to a trip to Center Harbor.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
Lakegeezer

When I went in for a frappé last night, I found out Dewey's will be open all year and expand their menu. They already have sandwiches and will add soup as the weather cools down. Dewey's is in a bit of an obscure location, so I hope they survive the off-season.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #15
jeffatsquam

Actually its a great location center harbor is the center of my universe

It is the old Minni Nichols store building

Last edited by jeffatsquam; 09-10-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post

It is the old Minni Nicole's store building
In the 50's there was an ice cream parlor there called Nickel's. It had a great soda fountain that you could sit at and enjoy your root beer floats, etc. We loved it when we were kids. There was also a general store in the center of Moultonborough called Ellen's. We use to get 5 cent ice cream cones from Ellen.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Ellens

When we were kids, we would drive our little boats over to Lees Mill, dock them and walk into Ellen's General Store in Moultonborough and the highlight of our excursion was buying those 5 cent cones. And yes, Nichols store in Center Harbor was great...remember it so well! Greens Basin Girl's sister and I dated counselors from Camp Quinnobarge (sp?) and they used to leave hand-written messages for us (and we to them) with Minnie Nichols. Days before we had instant messaging!

Last edited by Redwing; 09-10-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Mis-spellings
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #18
Lucky1

I remember Ellen's too from back in the fifties. Things sure were different on this lake then. I could take out a rowboat with a 3 horsepower engine and go down the lake and NOT SEE ANOTHER BOAT ON A WEEKDAY. I loved the lake then, and I love it even more now. I guess I appreciate how lucky I am now. Kids don't think in those terms as much.

Does anyone remember a spaghetti place that was in a building either on the corner or near the corner (The corner where the mattress shop is now etc) in Meredith? It may have just been a restaurant and my family got spaghetti or something. I think they had a window that they would pass food out if you were not eating inside? I have a pretty good memory but I was young. I remember all kinds of places from way back when!

My parents' friends who are 98 and 96 (Dad would have been 98 yesterday and Mom is 94) actually rented in those small cottages near The Bob House that are now crafts I guess. They are pretty small for sure for a family of five! Their friends built their own home on a lot on Castle Shores that they purchased for 500 dollars. Suissvale was not there until many years later. But for all the wonderful things that drew them to Moultonborough back in the early fifties, I would never have been at this heavenly place! Ice cream, clams, boats, shuffle board, croquet, waterskiing, fishing, swimming...........a child's paradise!

Dewey's needs to be able to have a sign nearer to Rte 25. I never saw it before I heard of it on this Forum and never saw the Bead Shop that is there either until a friend mentioned it. I take that road often because I get my mail at the Center Harbor Post Office. They are pretty strict with what businesses can do with signs I hear.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #19
C Tucker

Default Better Sign Much Needed

Dewey's is a great shop, but no one knows it's there. I asked my husband to stop for ice cream and he kept saying "where?" Even when we had parked right there! Colors in the sign are too dark and have no contrast - Maybe it could use painting onto the window glass.
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C Tucker For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (09-12-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I remember Ellen's too from back in the fifties. Things sure were different on this lake then. I could take out a rowboat with a 3 horsepower engine and go down the lake and NOT SEE ANOTHER BOAT ON A WEEKDAY. I loved the lake then, and I love it even more now. I guess I appreciate how lucky I am now. Kids don't think in those terms as much.

Does anyone remember a spaghetti place that was in a building either on the corner or near the corner (The corner where the mattress shop is now etc) in Meredith? It may have just been a restaurant and my family got spaghetti or something. I think they had a window that they would pass food out if you were not eating inside? I have a pretty good memory but I was young. I remember all kinds of places from way back when!

My parents' friends who are 98 and 96 (Dad would have been 98 yesterday and Mom is 94) actually rented in those small cottages near The Bob House that are now crafts I guess. They are pretty small for sure for a family of five! Their friends built their own home on a lot on Castle Shores that they purchased for 500 dollars. Suissvale was not there until many years later. But for all the wonderful things that drew them to Moultonborough back in the early fifties, I would never have been at this heavenly place! Ice cream, clams, boats, shuffle board, croquet, waterskiing, fishing, swimming...........a child's paradise!

Dewey's needs to be able to have a sign nearer to Rte 25. I never saw it before I heard of it on this Forum and never saw the Bead Shop that is there either until a friend mentioned it. I take that road often because I get my mail at the Center Harbor Post Office. They are pretty strict with what businesses can do with signs I hear.
I believe the spaghetti was called Parissi's (sp?) and the cabins were Red Hill Cabins.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #21
Lucky1

Well on the way back from the Post Office in Center Harbor today I stopped in to Dewey's to mention that I had heard that they had wonderful ice cream but that no one seemed to know it was there. I pointed out the YIKES SIGN THAT WAS IN BIG BLACK BOLD LETTERS across the street. I had stopped and studied their sign before I went inside. It does not do them justice if they want people to see that there is a lovely ice cream parlor and food Cafe there. I wonder how many times I have passed it and just not seen it at all.

The man to whom I spoke is a brother of the owner. He seemed very nice, but he is the manager and does not get to decide on the signage. I gave him the WinnipesaukeeForum.com address and hope he has his brother see this thread. He gave me a copy of the very nice menu.

I did not have any ice cream as I am watching my fat for my arteries. I once in a while try Flurries non fat soft serve, but most of the time rely on plain non fat Chobani Greek Yogurt to which I add a tiny bit of 100% cranberry pomegranate juice. Wish I could have ice cream as I love it!

Fingers crossed that they get signs that show they are there. It can be a long cold winter. I was the only one in the shop in what was at least a twenty minute period of time. Two men did arrive just as I was leaving.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #22
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
.... I did not have any ice cream as I am watching my fat for my arteries.......

Try their Black Cherry Frozen Yogurt.... very yummy
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #23
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Try their Black Cherry Frozen Yogurt.... very yummy
Great idea. Thanks so much. Will try.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #24
Squamie

Default Dewey's is open for the season

As we were driving by this past weekend we noticed the open sign at Dewey's --- obviously had to stop in for a moose tracks ice cream. Forgot to ask their schedule, but definitely open on weekends.
Squamie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Squamie For This Useful Post:
GTO (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #25
Lakegeezer

Default Open during the week too

Went by Dewey's on Monday for a coffee ice-cream fix. There were a few people there. The owner says "spread the word we are open". Happy to oblige. Price, quality and quantity all say - return.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Went by Dewey's on Monday for a coffee ice-cream fix. There were a few people there. The owner says "spread the word we are open". Happy to oblige. Price, quality and quantity all say - return.
Is this in the building that was "Rick Dawg's" sandwiches at one time?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #27
Barney Bear

We enjoy cruising from East Bear Island to Center Harbor to walk the short distance from the town docks to Dewey's to partake in the wide selection of ice cream flavors. Last visit was Columbus Day last season.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
We enjoy cruising from East Bear Island to Center Harbor to walk the short distance from the town docks to Dewey's to partake in the wide selection of ice cream flavors. Last visit was Columbus Day last season.
I shop at Heath's about twice a month in the winter; more often in the summer. I occasionally dine at Coe House.

I have been in Yikes, I have been in the bookstore, I have bought bagels at Winnipesaukee BayGulls.

Where is this Dewey's? Is it where Rick Dawg had a sandwich shop about 3 or 4 years ago? Next door to the "fountain?"
Old 04-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #29
Newbiesaukee

It is on the corner where 25b makes a sharp curve up the hill and it is across from the fountain. It is across the street (north) of Yikes and the bookstore (which is now also Yikes). I believe Ricks was in the same group of buildings but not on the corner. Hope this is helpful.

Actually the original post has a link to Dewey's website and if you look carefully there are directions and another link to google map showing the location. Basically it is a block from the Coe House towards the Fire Station.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (04-11-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
GrandmaBig6

Thumbs up Another great vacation

Just returned from 9 wonderful days in Meredith. Out of those days, 6 nights were spent having ice cream at Dewey's in Center Harbor.

Always friendly, fast service.

See you next year!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #31
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post

It is the old Minni Nichols store building
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #32
Greene's Basin Girl

I remember Nichols. It was a great place. I loved their soda fountain. It was such a treat to go there was I was growing up.